PDA

View Full Version : Can my copy of PSO migrate to a different GameCube?

charr
Oct 31, 2002, 11:23 AM
Okay. I've got PSO reserved for me at EB. Gettin' it today and ordering BBA modem tomorrow. I'm borrowing a GameCube from my bro until Christmas.

So here's my question. After I give my bro back his GameCube, can I use my copy of PSO on a new GameCube?

I know this wouldn't work with the Dreamcast version. Whatever Dreamcast you registered it with, you had to play with, or the game wouldn't work.

Anybody know?

P.S. I know it might work if I never play online until I get my own GameCube. If that's the case, what's the point? LOL

EDarkness
Oct 31, 2002, 11:33 AM
I'm wondering the same thing. Anyone have any experience with this? I checked in the manual, and it doesn't say anything about it.

-EDarkness

RedFox
Oct 31, 2002, 12:10 PM
i expect the same shouldn't apply due to the split screen mode... but i could be wrong. the DC game had an in game warning about this so i'd assume that if the same applies on the GC it would tell us...

VulpesMundi
Oct 31, 2002, 04:50 PM
The funny thing about the DC version is that you could play one copy on multiple DCs. Offline, that is. The catch was that only one of the DCs could go online. Whichever DC serial number was registered on the PSO servers with the serial number of that copy of PSO was the only one the server would let online. I can't tell you if it works the same for the GC version or not. So if you plan on going online before you get a GC of your own, you might consider giving your brother the new GC and keeping the one you're using now. Or at least test to see if you can go online with both before you give his back.

googles
Oct 31, 2002, 05:04 PM
if you cant, just keep his and give him your new 1.

Barubary6
Oct 31, 2002, 07:14 PM
Yes. You can definitely do this, for 2 reasons.

1. Your password is the magic number to which your account is locked. On Dreamcast it was locked to the current time, to the nearest second, when you entered your serial number for the first time (when choosing New Game for the first time).

2. Sonic Team can't do this. The client never sends the Gamecube's serial number to the server. On Dreamcast, the DC's serial number was sent to the server, but this was not actually used to lock it to your system. The timestamp was. That is why if you flash reset your Dreamcast it wouldn't work, even though it has the same serial number.

-- Barubary

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Oct 31, 2002, 07:47 PM
On 2002-10-31 16:14, Barubary6 wrote:
Yes. You can definitely do this, for 2 reasons.

1. Your password is the magic number to which your account is locked. On Dreamcast it was locked to the current time, to the nearest second, when you entered your serial number for the first time (when choosing New Game for the first time).

2. Sonic Team can't do this. The client never sends the Gamecube's serial number to the server. On Dreamcast, the DC's serial number was sent to the server, but this was not actually used to lock it to your system. The timestamp was. That is why if you flash reset your Dreamcast it wouldn't work, even though it has the same serial number.

-- Barubary

Very, very nice.
I wanted to know if this was possible to do also and am glad I can play online with multiple systems.
Thanks for your info.