PDA

View Full Version : best 2-D Final Fantasy

Wyndham
Aug 19, 2006, 03:24 PM
which 2-D Final Fantasy is your favourite, based on story, gameplay, difficulty, and all-around kickassivity?

Dingo
Aug 19, 2006, 03:29 PM
Ahhh crud what's the one with Kefka in it? For that reason alone...the best one. That man is pure evil, totally insane and by no means a stereotypical villain in the way he tried to verbally disarm the protagonists.

Wyndham
Aug 19, 2006, 03:46 PM
Kefka was in VI.

Eihwaz
Aug 19, 2006, 04:59 PM
Final Fantasy VI is the best one. I'm very eagerly awaiting it's re-release on GBA, so I can actually play through it again.

Polly
Aug 19, 2006, 05:03 PM
Final Fantasy II (IV)

Final Fantasy VI is a great game and all, but the ending blew chunks (50 hours for pretty pictures? Bleh.) and in the end I had more fun trudging my way through IV's big ass world. I have a lot of stupid little nostalgic memory crap tied to it too xP

RuneLateralus
Aug 19, 2006, 05:06 PM
On 2006-08-19 15:03, Triela wrote:
Final Fantasy II (IV)

Final Fantasy VI is a great game and all, but the ending blew chunks (50 hours for pretty pictures? Bleh.) and in the end I had more fun trudging my way through IV's big ass world. I have a lot of stupid little nostalgic memory crap tied to it too xP

Agreed.

Plus VI also had a much more comedic translation that entertained me as well. I liked how all the characters and enemies fainted (or "swooned" as the game would tell you) instead of dying.

Polly
Aug 19, 2006, 05:11 PM
FFIV had a pretty bad translation job too xD That and they gave us the crappy Easy Type version :

RuneLateralus
Aug 19, 2006, 05:13 PM
I know. The shit was up with that. After playing the original version's rom, I don't see the point of making an easy version. It really isn't that hard of a game.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: RuneLateralus on 2006-08-19 15:13 ]</font>

Polly
Aug 19, 2006, 05:15 PM
We're dum Americans :(

I ran through the normal version of the game and it makes no sense as to why they had to dumb it down that much for us. At least FFIV Advance returned all the content they cut and added some more, but by then it was too little too late, I suppose.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Triela on 2006-08-19 15:16 ]</font>

RuneLateralus
Aug 19, 2006, 05:18 PM
Probably.

Suprises me they will dumb down some games for Americans, and then make others (IE Ninja Gaiden 3 and Castlevania III) harder for us.

Polly
Aug 19, 2006, 05:22 PM
Ninja Gaiden III needed a difficulty boost, but I think it may have been way too much. I cruised through the original JP version on one continue and 3 lives one afternoon and I shouldn't be able to do that with a Ninja Gaiden game.

The US version had me wanting to throw my controller through a wall. Granted the Ninja Gaiden games have always been hard, but I never felt cheated out of a life with them. That wasn't the case with III.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Triela on 2006-08-19 15:23 ]</font>

RuneLateralus
Aug 19, 2006, 05:24 PM
Never tried the JP version of NGIII. Probably closest thing to trying it was the Trilogy versoin of it, but SNES version of it didn't hold my interest that much.

Polly
Aug 19, 2006, 05:28 PM
Ninja Gaiden III on the Trilogy is freakin unplayable. More than 2-3 sprites on the screen at once and the game literally crawls to like 2-5 FPS. I could never get through Stage 6 because the area is full of raising platforms and tons of flying enemies and the action is so slowed down that it can't even recognize your jump button presses.

They screwed the pooch with that collection bad :(

RuneLateralus
Aug 19, 2006, 05:30 PM
Very true. It almost makes you wonder why put the SNES versions on the XBox game instead of the true NES versions.

I felt a bit cheated that I worked hard to collect all those scarabs to end up with nothing.

Twilite
Aug 19, 2006, 05:36 PM
I'm going with the original [i]Final Fantasy I[i]. Granted I've only played I and II, but I thought the first one was quite awesome while the second lacked something in gameplay. I didn't like the whole two-different-hands-for-equipping-things dealy. The first one had great enemies, and interesting plot, and a logical system of equipment.

Dingo
Aug 19, 2006, 06:46 PM
By the way: How about adding Tactics as an option http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Not by any means a shabby game you know.

Wyndham
Aug 19, 2006, 09:35 PM
because I'm including Tactics in a future poll.

RoninJoku
Aug 20, 2006, 01:35 AM
crap... I cast my vote for the wrong game by accident... Was supposed to be for V... Because I thought it had the most charm of the 2D ones... Never had the patience to get all the way through 4 Aaand I hate Kefka! Worst villain ever!

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Aug 20, 2006, 04:34 AM
On 2006-08-19 16:46, Dingo wrote:
By the way: How about adding Tactics as an option http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Not by any means a shabby game you know.

That one was originally 3D(or even psuedo 3D) and was downgraded while retaining the same perspective for the GBA sequel.

If it was up there it would have stolen my vote from VI.

Loved the Esper system having less limitations as to who could learn what spells, everyone could learn everything! A nice, albeit creating easier gameplay, change of pace from most RPG's that only allowed certain characters to learn specific magic.

The individual skills for the large cast of playable characters were also great to differentiate your party; especially if you got bored of using Edgar's tools for example, simply switch him out for someone with their own signature skills!

Blitzkommando
Aug 20, 2006, 01:10 PM
I liked IV through VI but, again, IV and VI stand out for me. I'm a sucker for comedy though so I suppose I have to choose VI simply for that.

SubstanceD
Aug 20, 2006, 01:47 PM
Final Fantasy VI all the way.

Pacpunk
Aug 23, 2006, 08:12 PM
FFIV for me i loved that game

OdinTyler
Aug 26, 2006, 10:20 AM
Before I get into my choice, let me say that there are 2 US versions of Final Fantasy II. There's the one on SNES & then when the JP #s were added, it became Final Fantasy IV. As I understand it, FFIV's release on PS1 was actually the JP Hard Version (translated to English, of course). So as far as I know, if you want a harder version, play the PS one. Thank God they didn't make a Hard version of FF V. There are some parts of that game that don't need to be harder. LOL

Now, which is my fave old school FF? That's hard. VI seemed more epic, more thoughtout stories, etc. IV stood out for me because it was different in that you start as a 'bad' guy. I do enjoy V in that it was the start of the now famous FF class system. I can't really pick ONE favorite. IV & VI are the best storytellers (VI winning out because it is on a grander scale). However, V tends to be overlooked alot & I liked the fact that it has a longer play value (trying different class combos for each of your chars).

I know this doesn't help as I dont have a favorite. I CAN say that most of my FF faves ARE the oldschool ones (VIII being an exception as that's my fave of the more recent ones).