PDA

View Full Version : How does PSO stack up?

Drayma
Aug 20, 2006, 05:48 AM
Graphically and gameplay I would say PSO is the best video game ever, period.

Lusky
Aug 20, 2006, 05:57 AM
Eh, Graphics could be better, and not so repetitive gameplay (such as doing the same levels over and over to advance), also online only items was kinda depressing.

Veilside
Aug 20, 2006, 06:00 AM
shadow of the colluss has better graphics, and dungeon seige II has better gameplay, but PSO is still prety good

Feelmirath
Aug 20, 2006, 06:24 AM
The graphics leave much to be desired, but in terms of gameplay, it is pretty damn addictive.

Dingo
Aug 20, 2006, 06:58 AM
I'd say it's even very flawed gameplay-wise, but still very addicting. The controls leave much to be desired IMO.

Greg169
Aug 20, 2006, 07:16 AM
PSO is very addicting I find but it lacks a story line, or at least the story wasn't obvious to me when I played. I've seen better graphics and the repeatativeness of the levels is bad but at least when you get to Ult. everything changes and if you ever need a change of scenery you can always play ep.2 for a while (or ep.1 if you play ep.2 more). PSO's definately a really good game though.

Dre_o
Aug 20, 2006, 11:33 AM
For a great game already on the market, see PSO. For improvements said game, See PSU.

OneandtheSame
Aug 20, 2006, 11:39 AM
If you wanna get right down to it, it terms of gameplay and graphics, it sort of sucks... http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

It's so addictive though...PSO is my anti-drug http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

ulyoth
Aug 20, 2006, 11:45 AM
In terms of graphics you have to remember this is a online game, world of warcraft doesnt exactly look great either. Also in terms of gameplay, again online, which when played with friends is fun as hell.
The fact that ive spent 1700+ hours on one characer alone is testament.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ulyoth on 2006-08-20 09:46 ]</font>

Neith
Aug 20, 2006, 11:45 AM
PSO's graphics aren't comparable to say, Shadow of the Colossus, the simple fact being that PSO is a 5/6 year old game.

Gameplay-wise there's quite a lot to do, but the gameplay is addictive, and makes you want to replay.

Too many games of late are primarily focused on Graphics, leaving much to be desired when it comes to enjoyment.

I would rate it as one of the best games I have, for the reasons that I found a lot of great people through it, and its the only game I have that I still find enjoyable after 3 years of playing it. (I enjoy Final Fantasy VII still, but its rare I actually play it anymore).

However, I wouldn't go so far as to say it's the best game ever- that is totally opinion-based.

Zeig123
Aug 20, 2006, 11:53 AM
the graphics could be better but they dont really bug me anymore.......and gameplay is really god imo......plus the games so damn addicting

OneandtheSame
Aug 20, 2006, 12:03 PM
On 2006-08-20 09:45, ulyoth wrote:
In terms of graphics you have to remember this is a online game, world of warcraft doesnt exactly look great either. Also in terms of gameplay, again online, which when played with friends is fun as hell.
The fact that ive spent 1700+ hours on one characer alone is testament.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ulyoth on 2006-08-20 09:46 ]</font>

Err...Yes it does...WoW looks fantastic. My computer can't even run it...

PJ
Aug 20, 2006, 01:33 PM
I don't see how "The controls could be better." Completely customizable can get better? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

Although the graphics are outdated at this point, there are still some very nice effects. See; CCA/Seabed Episode 2, on GC. I still think they look good at this point. Episode 4 is pretty cool too.

With the exception of Pokemon, simply no other game has gotten me addicted, and I never thought I'd get so addicted to a single-game. Every year I say, "Yeah, I'll probably give it up at so and so a time," and when it seems like I will, I always come back with new enthusiasm.

OneandtheSame
Aug 20, 2006, 01:36 PM
On 2006-08-20 11:33, PJ wrote:
I don't see how "The controls could be better." Completely customizable can get better? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

Although the graphics are outdated at this point, there are still some very nice effects. See; CCA/Seabed Episode 2, on GC. I still think they look good at this point. Episode 4 is pretty cool too.

With the exception of Pokemon, simply no other game has gotten me addicted, and I never thought I'd get so addicted to a single-game. Every year I say, "Yeah, I'll probably give it up at so and so a time," and when it seems like I will, I always come back with new enthusiasm.

That's the way I am. I play for a few months, then I stop for a few. I'll probably stop for a while as soon as I get Walt Disney(my HUcast) to Ultimate and find Chain Sawd and Demolition Comet for him.

LordEvergreat
Aug 20, 2006, 01:38 PM
The graphics aren't great and he gameplay is repetitve. Good job it's addictive then.

BeeYee
Aug 20, 2006, 01:48 PM
Its a really good game, but it lacks one big thing, pausing. I think pausing can help stuff... And its addictive in the beginning but once you get a pretty high level it becomes quite boring. Ive been level 132 for about 3 months maybe because I got so bored I just play with my RAcast now.

Neith
Aug 20, 2006, 01:53 PM
Pausing isn't a big issue, that's what Telepipe/Ryuker/standing in corridors is for http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

BeeYee
Aug 20, 2006, 02:00 PM
ya i guess youre right

OneandtheSame
Aug 20, 2006, 02:06 PM
On 2006-08-20 11:48, BeeYee wrote:
Its a really good game, but it lacks one big thing, pausing. I think pausing can help stuff... And its addictive in the beginning but once you get a pretty high level it becomes quite boring. Ive been level 132 for about 3 months maybe because I got so bored I just play with my RAcast now.

It's like that for all online games.

Twilite
Aug 20, 2006, 02:40 PM
I don't know that I would say PSO is the best game ever (are we familiar with Metroid Prime?), but it would probably be in my top five. Personally, I don't think the graphics are a problem, and at least they put the effort in (like in the waterfall room in Cave 2). Pausing is only really an issue in bosses, where you just have to stick it out. As for the gameplay, you have to be motivated to continue, e.g. trying to beat the level, finding a weapon, etc. I'd still give it five stars, though.

PSOPRINCE
Aug 20, 2006, 05:12 PM
1. very addictive(get bored and keep on running back)
2. gmeplay sooooooo repetative for an offliner like myself
3.loads to do, well in terms of weopns to collect
4. a good multiplayer
5. graphics ahhh well most online rpg have crap graphics really it dont matter IMO
6. some things werent very tohught out, you run really slow most of the level names are very dull(come o forest and forest too should have been deep forest undergrowth and raining trees

Feelmirath
Aug 21, 2006, 01:23 PM
On 2006-08-20 11:53, UrikoBB3 wrote:
Pausing isn't a big issue, that's what Telepipe/Ryuker/standing in corridors is for http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

All the "KOOL PPLZ" get wif lobby idling, rit? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Neith
Aug 21, 2006, 02:27 PM
On 2006-08-21 11:23, Feelmirath wrote:
All the "KOOL PPLZ" get wif lobby idling, rit? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Of course, thats the only way your hours reach 4 digits fast! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

TheyCallMeJoe
Aug 21, 2006, 04:45 PM
I think PSO is one of those great games that never got the hype it deserved. Sonic Team just didn't do a very good job in that region. The only way I learned about it was through a friend.

In terms of longevity, PSO has remained popular far after it's initial release...and not a lot of games can attest to that.

Graphics
The game's 6 years old, you can't expect it to compare to stuff that's out these days. Even back then it probably could've been a little better, but the EP 2 scenery completely takes care of that http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif
Gameplay
Reptitive...but addicting like no other. The only problem I'd have to say is the targetting system. There could be an enemy approaching you head-on, and yet somehow my FOnewm manages to Rafoie the group of boxes behind them http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_redface.gif.

Overall, PSO has a lot of versatility that's not often seen in the gaming industry. I hope that PSU is worthy enough to follow in the footsteps of PSO...

Dhylec
Aug 21, 2006, 05:51 PM
I once called PSO e-drug. Not the best of everything, but sure got me logged over 3,000 hrs with 12 chars, not counting remakes & time lost to corruptions.

Saigan
Aug 21, 2006, 11:25 PM
Although it certainly gets my vote for "favorite game 3v4r!" PSO has all those wicked flaws listed above. Course any game that can be played for 1500+ hours and is only 50$ out the door deserves acknowledgement as... "well designed".

Rekitheforce
Aug 22, 2006, 09:38 AM
On 2006-08-20 03:57, Lusky wrote:
Eh, Graphics could be better, and not so repetitive gameplay (such as doing the same levels over and over to advance), also online only items was kinda depressing.

Yes, graphics wise it could improve, but just think how old the game is... PSU will obviously take the Phantasy Star series to a new level, but think how many people still play PSO.

Tweengo
Aug 22, 2006, 09:46 AM
Red Box.....nuff said.

KratosAurion
Aug 22, 2006, 09:56 AM
OK graphics are less than desirable. But why does that matter? Just like an argument I've had with RE4 going to PS2 from GC. Some people think it's darker and better, others don't think so. But the point is, the PS2 couldn't handle all the enemies on screen at once so some were cut, and you found more money and ammo, making the game easier. There was more to the argument and I odn't want to stray too far off topic.
BB has a better customized system. But the game is still addictive.

Rekitheforce
Aug 22, 2006, 10:15 AM
On 2006-08-20 11:48, BeeYee wrote:

Pausing isn't possible due to Online play...

rpgposer
Aug 22, 2006, 10:27 AM
IMHO, it is the graphic design and music composition that makes PSO stand out for me. I play WoW, dabble in Guild Wars, and have canceled EQ2 and FFXI accounts. All of these games have 'better' graphics than PSO. However, I can pick up and play PSO BB anywhere. I can even play on my laptop.
Yeah, it's got some flaws... targeting is weird and the attacks seem stiff, but it's fun and I still love it.

Zalana
Aug 22, 2006, 11:36 AM
PSO doesn't stack up well against FFXi...

Tweengo
Aug 23, 2006, 07:54 AM
Oh yeah about pausing, let's just say it's a bad idea to enter a boss arena when you get the urge to 'drop a bomb' or 'spend 2 pennies' or....you know what I mean. Curse the lack of pausing. Also, another thing I hate about PSO is the constant threat of corruption http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif And that I can't get the online items.

Your_MajestY
Aug 23, 2006, 05:29 PM
If you use official Memory Cards, corruptions are RARE. I've been playing PSO since the release in europe. And never once have I corrupted. Been playing online for approx. a month now, experience one FSOD, but really. Just spend some extra money in real gear, and READ what the cautions. Example, do not pull the memory card out while saving or transferring players. *Embarrased*

Drayma
Aug 23, 2006, 06:08 PM
On 2006-08-22 09:36, Zalana wrote:

Let me guess by your icon and sig you should visit FF boards more often. I read reviews of ffxi and I never saw PSO mentioned once. Two different games.
People play PSO a ton and I'm thinking I'm right its the best video game, it does have great graphics and gameplay.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Drayma on 2006-08-23 16:10 ]</font>

Rekitheforce
Aug 23, 2006, 06:56 PM
On 2006-08-22 09:36, Zalana wrote:

Maybe because PSO is rather "old". Graphics have changed...

Goldstream
Aug 27, 2006, 09:02 PM
I can find fun in PSO where it's lacking in others. The online environment is enjoyable and easy to use. Games like Halo 2 where you just frag opponents don't seem fun. In PSO you can work together as a team and your enemy isn't a man in an olive colored spacesuit, it's Boomas and other monsters that are creative and well thought out, but I can't say my opinion is better than anyone elses because it isn't.

ethereal
Aug 27, 2006, 10:06 PM
is simply the fact that there is soooo much to do. the pure excitment of finding that rare monster youv been hunting for hours and it dropping the weapon youv been wanting for days is great.