PDA

View Full Version : n00b's

MaximusLight
Aug 20, 2006, 10:30 PM
Do you have any idea how irratating it is to be stuck in the same catagory as someone who does nothing but annoyt others!?!

I means come on yeah I'm a n00b too simply because I don't have the hang of this yet but at least I try! Then there these people that go on trying to cause as many problems as they can and I am forced to share the same catagory with them!?! You would thing they would at least try to improve so they could stop getting everyone to yell at the rest of us!?!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: MaximusLight on 2006-08-21 13:33 ]</font>

Leviathan
Aug 20, 2006, 10:46 PM
I made my own little catergory for people like you.

Progressive n00b~ <<noun>> actually wants to do something. Doesn't cause trouble.

Orange_Coconut
Aug 20, 2006, 10:48 PM
Is this referring to PSO, the internet, gaming in general... Another game?

Well, in any case, people seem to have massive egos when on the internet. It's like they think they can harass whoever they want with however much force they want. Some people are like; "Hey man, it's the internet, get over it!". Sometimes it's not that easy for people to get over being insulted and labeled, because even though it is over the internet, it's still a real person making a real accusation and creating a real insult.

People who label those that have room to improve in their gaming abilities and those who literally try to destroy a community/gaming experience together as one category are just pushovers. They probably had the same difficulty and kept silent until they had "bragging rights". Which, by the way, spending an insane amount of time on a game shouldn't really give you anything of the sort... It's cool if you play it for fun, but if you level just to pick on those who just want to try to learn how to play and have fun, then seriously you're pathetic.

Forget them, don't play with them, learn from the people who are actually willing to teach or just follow along with other characters of the same class. Notice their attacks/spells/items etc. It might give you ideas for your own build, and you might look up different items and such on a website to create what you would consider your "perfect build". Games are for fun, seriously, and those who try to take that away don't deserve to be playing the game in the first place. It ruins the fun and the feeling of being welcome as a newcomer to an online community.

MaximusLight
Aug 20, 2006, 10:52 PM
On 2006-08-20 20:46, Leviatha wrote:
I made my own little catergory for people like you.

Progressive n00b~ <<noun>> actually wants to do something. Doesn't cause trouble.

THANK YOU!

Sinue_v2
Aug 20, 2006, 10:59 PM
I thought it was always pretty well established that there are two forms of the word.

Newbs are people that are new to the game, but are willing to do their best and learn from the advice others give them. Generally polite and attentive. There's nothing wrong with this form of newb, and players will often go out of their way to give them a helping hand.

n00bs are people who should god damned well know better by now, but still screw up anyhow. Usually loud, boisterous, and idiotic. Most people hate this form, and will go out of their way to either avoid them, or pick fights/get them killed. Thankfully, most n00bs make themselves fairly easy to spot by excessive use of the word "LOL", DBZ or other overused anime names, or general failure to graps even the basic tennants of the English language (or whatever language they happen to speak natively).

Dre_o
Aug 20, 2006, 11:22 PM
You can also spot "n00bs" (refer to post above) if you can easily fry their pathetic little minds with a few simple word problems. Most young children/moronic teenagers/ass-holes can be easily discouraged with a few simple words.

Yet, it's best just to ignore 'em.

Solstis
Aug 21, 2006, 01:07 AM
If you're going to use the argument that one should not insult others on the Internet (because we are all real people), then I pose the counter-argument that basic grasps of grammar should be expected of all Internet forum goers.

I have a hard time dealing with (really poor) English (unless the person is very young or not all that experienced with the language) on the Internet, for I do believe that there is a real person typing. Since how someone types online is one of the few reflections of themselves that I have access to, I reserve the right to call anyone that types "!?!?!!??!?!?!!?!?!?!?" in an argument as a n00b. Sorry.

I really don't make fun of people all that often, but I want that right rainchecked.

TheyCallMeJoe
Aug 21, 2006, 02:36 AM
Noobs are universally the same, no matter what game, forum, chat, etc. that you join. There are the beginner types, as Sinue mentioned, who merely don't know the ropes of the game yet and are trying to find help. This is fine, as long as they don't tread into the second category of noobs.

Category number 2 involves the beggers, the ignorant, and everyone who is incapable of using proper forum etiquette (spelling & grammar, http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/spam.gif, overly obnoxious/needy etc.) . That, and if you're just a complete dumbass.

You might want to be careful of repetive punctuation usage...

"!!!!!!"

Making an intelligent post that expresses your feelings through words is much less noob-ish than using CAPS LOCK and !!!!!. I'm not going to say that you're a noob or anything, because I've seen you outside of the Rants forum and you're usually not like this....but just make sure you don't overdo it.

Sinue_v2
Aug 21, 2006, 03:13 AM
Speaking of Caps Lock...

http://www.jinx.com/images/products/629bgNavy.jpg

Daikarin
Aug 21, 2006, 05:33 AM
On 2006-08-21 01:13, Sinue_v2 wrote:
Speaking of Caps Lock...

http://www.jinx.com/images/products/629bgNavy.jpg

I'm definitively getting one of those. ;o

MaximusLight
Aug 21, 2006, 03:35 PM
True I do use the caps locks and over punctuation some times, I normal do it when I'm being lazy and I want to stress the point...

...or if it's midnight...

phongi
Aug 21, 2006, 05:51 PM
this thread is all about me! i fell loved....

http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Atayin
Aug 21, 2006, 08:43 PM
Is it just me, or does it seem like the n00bs are always the ones calling others "n00b" or "newb!"? I think another big sign of a n00b is the overuse of the term that, ironicly, they should be using to describe themselves.

And that shirt.. I had to laugh out loud.

KodiaX987
Aug 21, 2006, 09:20 PM
Let's make a scientific breakdown of the types of newness on the Internet. Like all people, new people adapt or don't.

HOMO SAPIENS SAPIENS NEWBIE
This recent evolution of the human species has just discovered the technological age and is eager to get hand-on experience in the field. The Newbie is a likeable, caring individual who looks just like any average human and may even be indistinguishable from the latter. The Newbie will make himself known by politely asking a precise and concise question, which reveals his current lack of knowledge in the matter. When taken in by a well-chosen mentor, he can become a player as strong as they come.

HOMO SAPIENS NEWB
The Newb, while not necessarily dwelving into the pits of debilitium, nevertheless is far from the sharpest tool in the shed. The Newb's attire and age places him into the bracket of the mainstream teenagers, who live the fast life and thus would prefer that things are accomplished in a swift manner - which is, quite unfortunately, "hardly the case with computers, no matter how many jigamegazelda-megabytes your CPU speed is" (quoted from a somewhat misguided Newbie.) The Newb's behavior is generally passive-aggressive, and he will need the help of a strong director in order to make him learn the ropes of the world of computers.

N00B
The n00b is what the different world religions have been hunting all along. The n00b is an inhuman beast, such that his name does not deserve capitalization unless during the act of shouting. Fitting the bracket of the child aged 6 to 17, the n00b is easily recognizable by his overdeveloped vocal cords, habit of running into doorframes, and endless supply of Ritalin (including but not limited to other minor birth defects such as overzealous tear glands.) Academically, the n00b fares poorly at best, no matter the effort (or lack thereof) and follows the same path in many of his endeavors. Due to his constant need for instant gratification, the n00b watches Dragon Ball Z and Naruto for his action fix, and can be found especially on StarCraft playing a map called "The Hunters With Mucho Money". In social situations, the n00b is often the loudest, most nonsensical member of the party, which scientists believe is an ancient, instinctive and uncontrollable method of letting other humans know of his highly deficient intellect, thereby letting others the chance to escape or end his misery. Because he makes no effort except in a futile attempt to click a random button and hope it works, the only method of teaching the common n00b is to staple a Bible, a Coran and a Pali Canon together, slam the 2000 or so pages on the target's face, then jump on top of the compiled documents with both feet together (and wearing Caterpillar Walking Machines Steel Toe), thereby creating a film of brain matter one atom thick under the combined weight. Be careful, as the remainder of the brain matter, which has splattered all around you, is highly acidic and may corrode other objects or persons in an attempt to rebalance its IQ, starting with Marylin vos Savant.

Solstis
Aug 21, 2006, 09:27 PM
Hey... I liked the infinite money hunters.

Nice post anyway.

MaximusLight
Aug 21, 2006, 11:12 PM
Well said Kodia well said.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: MaximusLight on 2006-08-23 20:45 ]</font>

jedinik
Aug 25, 2006, 09:22 AM
Not a bad scientific breakdown. highly intelligent I like it.