PDA

View Full Version : Keyboard Info Thread

Pages : [1] 2

ABDUR101
Oct 31, 2002, 09:41 PM
Since there have been about 5+ threads partaining to keyboards for the new releases of PSO, I'm stickying this to the top, locking all the other threads and giving links to them. Any new information regarding where keyboards can be imported, purchased or news in general partaining to a keyboard should be posted in this thread. Thank you in advance. =)

ASCII Keyboard 55$ (http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=32988&forum=1&2)

The GC Software keyboard... (http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=32895&forum=1&9)

No U.S. Keyboard? Where can I import? (http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=32914&forum=1&11)

Since there's no keyboard coming... (http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=32919&forum=1&15)

keyboard (http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=33052&forum=1&1)

charr
Nov 1, 2002, 11:24 AM
Good idea Abdur. There were definitely too many threads.

I think the question on everyone's mind is how to order this import Keyboard and or how to make a normal

Amazon.co.jp Japan is sold out (if you trust Babelfish translations)

http://www.JapanVideoGames.com says that all orders placed today will ship early December. I guess that's one month -- which isn't too bad.

I also found keyboards on these sites, but I can't figure out how to get into the shopping carts, etc, and order them.

http://www.lan-kwei.com/gamecubeE/

http://shop.himeya.com/

I've emailed and tried to call both of the above companies with no reply/luck.

I've found nothing else. Somebody needs to get a case of these and drop them on eBay. I'm surprised it hasn't happened yet. Most of us would probably pay upwards of $100 with shipping to be able to talk to our fellow crackheads in game.

As making a regular computer keyboard or dreamcast keyboard work with the GameCube, no one on this board has seemed willing to try. I know I'm not willing to risk my bro's GameCube.

Good luck to everyone. If you find anything out, just let me know.

charr
Nov 1, 2002, 11:37 AM
Here's another place I found a keyboard. UK people take note:

http://www.goblindirect.com/MainContent/prodDetail.asp?productCat=GameCube&regionSet=JAP&prodID=1006

The keyboard is $118.05 in US dollars including 24-hour Parcel Direct Shipping. I guess that's not too bad when you consider $25 of that is overnight shipping. So you pay about $93 for a twice-imported keyboard.

I'm not sure I'll pay that. I'd rather hold out for the US version or try to make one. But it's another resource for the truly insane.

MagicPink
Nov 1, 2002, 11:57 AM
I've been seeing a lot of rumours and mutterings about a keyboard that should be out by mid november, not Nintendo produced. Unfortunately it's JUST rumours so I can't give a direct link but at least it's a little something to hope on.

-but don't hold your breath MP

PlatinumGame
Nov 1, 2002, 12:03 PM
http://www.videogamedepot.com/shop/games.asp?Page=ALL&PT=Hardware&PS=GameCube&PO=Import&LS=

VideoGameDepot just re-stocked their keyboards. Order quickly. A rep told me that they only have a few in. I would have posted earlier but...I had to order one myself. >=P

Edit: Sold Out

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: PlatinumGame on 2002-11-01 09:50 ]</font>

charr
Nov 1, 2002, 12:33 PM
They just sold out. They only had 5 keyboards.

*sigh*

charr
Nov 1, 2002, 05:40 PM
Check this URL -- they are supposed to have them in stock in a week. So if you order today, you'll guarantee one shipped to you Nov. 8.

http://www.toysnjoys.com/access_cube2.html

I placed my order. Total was $93 including $13 shipping from Hawaii to Seattle. Not bad for an almost impossible to find peripheral. Meanwhile, if news comes out of a US keyboard, or I find one at a store here in Seattle, I can always cancel.

But it will be worth the extra $15 or $20 to talk to my fellow players!

Charr

Shrevn
Nov 2, 2002, 01:25 AM
Damn im really thinkin this good... i really have high hopes that nintendo/sega WHO EVEr the FU** makes this kb's makes one and gets it out in around a month or so... im not really pushing it now... but really if i dont hear nothign within this week... i might just have to dish out that money >.<;;

rbf2000
Nov 2, 2002, 01:26 AM
http://www.lan-kwei.com has them in stock for $69 + S&H.

MagicPink
Nov 2, 2002, 08:53 AM
Lan Kwei's email get bounced back and the Submit Order form I sent on the site hasn't been responded to in over 3 days. So I don't thik they're an option.

Ian D
Nov 2, 2002, 01:11 PM
How exactly would you go about making one? Can someone link me, I know a bunch of people have said it won't work or it will mess up your Gamecube, but I think I'll give it a try.

maximusPSO
Nov 4, 2002, 03:02 PM
My first post. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Found this link at another forum. Keyboards are in stock as of right now at this place. I just ordered one. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif I figured since I will put probably a few hundred hours into this game, $104 isn't that bad of an investment to actually be able to communicate effectively with other players...

shop.himeya.com

Also talked to someone from videogamedepot and they are trying to get more, but he said that in dec they will definitely have some since ascii is going to make more in dec. To me, that sounds like these will be pretty scarce for the next month or so...

MagicPink
Nov 4, 2002, 03:49 PM
I wouldn't count on getting that from himeya. I emailed them a week ago to see if they really DID have it in stock and they havn't answered yet.

maximusPSO
Nov 4, 2002, 04:50 PM
Well, I guess I could cancel it if I don't hear anything from them in the next few days...

edit: I paid for EMS shipping w/tracking number, so if I get a tracking number in the next few days, I'll let you guys know...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: maximusPSO on 2002-11-04 14:06 ]</font>

Etrigan
Nov 5, 2002, 12:09 AM
This is seriously ridiculous. $104+ for a keyboard? C'mon SEGA, get on the ball. If they don't have a domestic by next month, I'm cancelling my HL.

I talked to a character named "Matt-IGN" today, and he said the US release is very far off. Whether or not it was really him isn't clear, but he sounded the part.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Etrigan on 2002-11-04 21:21 ]</font>

PlatinumGame
Nov 5, 2002, 12:22 AM
Don't you people read anything when it comes to keyboards? You all same the same things over and over.."you are all stupid for spending that on a kayboard", "plz Nintendo make a keeboarsd" or "omgz f u sega LOLZZ". Sega does not make hardware anymore and I don't see Nintendo making one anytime soon. A request to all who don't have nothing valuable to say, please don't say it. I'm not taking a shot at Etrigan, I am just getting sick of all this bitchin' about a keyboard. I know PSO isn't all that good without a keyboard, but if you cared that much, you could find a way to get the money to import a keyboard.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: PlatinumGame on 2002-11-04 21:24 ]</font>

Etrigan
Nov 5, 2002, 12:27 AM
Agreed, SEGA doesn't make hardware. But when they make software that requires the use of a keyboard, they'd better promote that software to whoever does. And I'll bitch as long as I have to keep typing, "thx for za tp dood", while taking 5 minutes to do so.

You want to spend half the price of a console on an accessory, go ahead. You want to pay $10/month for a game that you can't even use to it's full extent. Be my guest. But I sure as hell won't.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Etrigan on 2002-11-04 21:29 ]</font>

PlatinumGame
Nov 5, 2002, 12:37 AM
I paid $79.80 on my keyboard so HAH! T_T' If some third-party does release a hybrid, don't expect it to be less than $45 dollars.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: PlatinumGame on 2002-11-04 21:38 ]</font>

serialtoon
Nov 5, 2002, 12:38 AM
Why would you want to even have a keyboard when everyone else doesnt? I mean your here typing 10,000 words a minute when the other guy is barley responding with "Im doing gr8". Until a keyboard gets manufactured here in the states and is widely available to anyone, you people will just have to wait and quit bitchin.

Etrigan
Nov 5, 2002, 12:44 AM
Yeah, but there's enough that do. And a large part of PSO is the communication factor. If I can't sit around in lobbies making fun of HUmars named Gotenks, I might as well be offline.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Etrigan on 2002-11-04 21:46 ]</font>

PlatinumGame
Nov 5, 2002, 12:47 AM
On 2002-11-04 21:38, serialtoon wrote:
Why would you want to even have a keyboard when everyone else doesnt? I mean your here typing 10,000 words a minute when the other guy is barley responding with "Im doing gr8". Until a keyboard gets manufactured here in the states and is widely available to anyone, you people will just have to wait and quit bitchin.

I have the import and almost everyone has a keyboard. 7_7

maximusPSO
Nov 5, 2002, 12:55 AM
UPDATE:

I sent them an email before I ordered asking whether it was in stock (mid-day Mon). I just got an email back saying it was no longer in stock. However, I ordered it when it was supposedly in stock, so I shot them back an email asking if it was in stock when I ordered. I haven't heard back yet, but my fingers are crossed. If it is backordered, I guess I'll wait a few weeks, but any longer than that, and I'm cancelling my order...

BTW, if I do get this thing soon, I'm searching out and playing with those of you who have keyboards too. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

serialtoon
Nov 5, 2002, 12:58 AM
[/quote]

[/quote]
Almost everyone? Everytime i join a game theres no talking what-so-ever. all they do is fight and do the symbol chat. nothing else! where are these exclusive KB players? almost everyone is not good enough. On the DC version, if you didnt have a KB you were considered an idiot! Now no one has em and isnt gonna get em. XB version is gonna use a communicator. That gives MS another point as to why their system and online plans etc etc is far more superior than any other system out there. Im not bashing GC or PS2. All im saying is that MS thought their things thru as to where Sega,Nintendo and Sony are all trying to do things half-assed to rack in the dough. Funny when you think about it cause M$ is always being considered the BIG TIME MONEY MAKERS! Well heres a reason why.

Layrinn
Nov 5, 2002, 01:02 AM
I have a question about the import ASCII keyboard, for those who know and/or those who have one.

It is possible to use the keyboard and a separate controller at the same time? That is... could I go old-school Dreamcast style and play with a normal controller and just use the keyboard part of the other to type on? Or do you have to use the controller that is part of the keyboard/controller combo?

As much as I dislike the fact that the keyboard on the ASCII controller is smaller than normal, I loathe even more the idea of having to hold the entire thing in my hands at all times.

Someone please save us and develop a 3rd party PC keyboard adapter!!!!

serialtoon
Nov 5, 2002, 01:18 AM
Heres another thing. What if you would get one of those adapters like PSX to XBOX. Where you connect your PS controller into the XBOX so you can use it instead of the XB controller. Now what if you get one and you get an OLD school PSX keyboard? Will that work? Maybe. Try to look for a Gamecube to Dreamcast adapter and try using your old DC keyboard, it might just work!

DangerBoy
Nov 5, 2002, 01:37 AM
People just won't be happy until .hack is a reality, I guess.

I'd seriously be cool with a GC<->DC adaptor. I really hate sounding like I'm in need of a hooked-on-phonics program.

Etrigan
Nov 5, 2002, 02:22 AM
Believe me I've tried. Apparently it doesn't work.

ginko990
Nov 5, 2002, 10:44 AM
Im having the time of my life without a keyboard.
Learn to zoom through the commands, set usefull shortcuts, it all gets a lot easier, plus typing on the ingame keyboard, while not as quick, isn't hard. I'm doing fine, and I'm having fun http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

charr
Nov 5, 2002, 11:40 AM
Well I still have mine on order at http://www.toysnjoys.com

I also got a response from Lan Kwai today. They have them in stock. They want payment via PayPal, but apparently have them in stock. That's all good, but they took three days to reply and I'm a little nervous about ordering from a company in another country that doesn't even have SSL. So I'm probably going to order from toysnjoys.com

I am having fun without one. You just have to really refine what your shortcuts say. And the chat menus get easier to use when you learn them better.

I may switch to xBox for voice chat if the US release is anytime soon. I still think it would be weird to hear my male voice come out of a HUnewearl.

Zae
Nov 5, 2002, 01:14 PM
Hi whats up
Im the best so watch out for me

MagicPink
Nov 5, 2002, 02:38 PM
I tried lan kwei as well but while they had pay pal listed as a payment option they refused to give me the pay pal account to pay to GET the friggin' keyboard.

I'm having a friend in Ahkihabara look for one for me. If he can't find one in Ahkihabara, there's not one to be found in Japan.

PlatinumGame
Nov 5, 2002, 02:42 PM
On 2002-11-04 21:58, serialtoon wrote:

[/quote]
Almost everyone? Everytime i join a game theres no talking what-so-ever. all they do is fight and do the symbol chat. nothing else! where are these exclusive KB players? almost everyone is not good enough. On the DC version, if you didnt have a KB you were considered an idiot! Now no one has em and isnt gonna get em. XB version is gonna use a communicator. That gives MS another point as to why their system and online plans etc etc is far more superior than any other system out there. Im not bashing GC or PS2. All im saying is that MS thought their things thru as to where Sega,Nintendo and Sony are all trying to do things half-assed to rack in the dough. Funny when you think about it cause M$ is always being considered the BIG TIME MONEY MAKERS! Well heres a reason why.

[/quote]

Mmmmk. You are just joining the wrong games I guess. Yeah..yeah..we all know Xbox is the online gaming console of choice, so nothing new there.

charr
Nov 5, 2002, 02:55 PM
On 2002-11-05 11:38, MagicPink wrote:
I tried lan kwei as well but while they had pay pal listed as a payment option they refused to give me the pay pal account to pay to GET the friggin' keyboard.

Is Lan Kwei a trustworthy place to order from?

OmegaofTime
Nov 5, 2002, 03:04 PM
>I have the import and almost everyone has a ?>keyboard. 7_7

He's talking about the domestic version. And I agree with him. I've only run into a handful of people who own a keyboard at any given time of the day. These weren't different people though, they were regulars with keyboards.

>Mmmmk. You are just joining the wrong games I >guess. Yeah..yeah..we all know Xbox is the online ?>gaming console of choice, so nothing new there.

From a business standpoint, PSO GC US failed in what it was trying to do due to lack of preparation on Sega's and Nintendo's part. The sad thing is that there are text adventurers (muds) with more active players than PSO GC currently. If this keeps on and general players (yes, casual gamers are the backbone) aren't attracted, don't expect future versions of PSO to hit the GC (yes, I'm serious). I'm not bashing PSO, but I strongly believe there will not be another PSO for the GC unless this changes. If you want to help, encourage your friends to get into it.

Here's some useful information for people who are impatient. Matt-IGN on PSO GC is right, the keyboard won't be released anytime soon because planning distribution (designing, manufacturer, planning, shipping, whatever, etc) of any product takes 2-3 months. An accurate estimate for a keyboard release is December to January, and I am very sure of this.

OmegaofTime
Nov 5, 2002, 03:06 PM
On 2002-11-05 12:04, OmegaofTime wrote:

He's talking about the domestic version. And I agree with him. I've only run into a handful of people who own a keyboard at any given time of the day. These weren't different people though, they were regulars with keyboards.

>Mmmmk. You are just joining the wrong games I >guess. Yeah..yeah..we all know Xbox is the online ?>gaming console of choice, so nothing new there.

From a business standpoint, PSO GC US failed in what it was trying to do due to lack of preparation on Sega's and Nintendo's part. The sad thing is that there are text adventurers (muds) with more active players than PSO GC currently. If this keeps on and general players (yes, casual gamers are the backbone) aren't attracted, don't expect future versions of PSO to hit the GC (yes, I'm serious). I'm not bashing PSO, but I strongly believe there will not be another PSO for the GC unless this changes. If you want to help, encourage your friends to get into it.

Here's some useful information for people who are impatient. Matt-IGN on PSO GC is right, the keyboard won't be released anytime soon because planning distribution (designing, manufacturer, planning, shipping, whatever, etc) of any product takes 2-3 months. An accurate estimate for a keyboard release is December to February, and I am very sure of this.

charr
Nov 5, 2002, 03:16 PM
GC PSO a failure. That may indeed be true.

In that case, I'm glad I borrowed, not bought, my GC.

But it is still worth it to buy the game and adapter to be able to play cheat free on GC.

Sput
Nov 5, 2002, 04:16 PM
Howdy all...

There has to be documentation somewhere on the web for the gc controller pinout (or at least we could look at the controller adapter to ps dual shock)

Then all we do is look at the pinout/connection to the keyboard on the import ascii (it's a separate cable, so a screwdriver should get us visual access) then we make a modified ps/2 computer keyboard have the same pinout.

There's a good chance that ASCII just used a ps/2 or usb keyboard and modified the pinout...

Now we just need someone to open their ascii controller and take pictures http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Anyone?

Sputnik

charr
Nov 5, 2002, 04:26 PM
There's a good chance that ASCII just used a ps/2 or usb keyboard and modified the pinout...

Now we just need someone to open their ascii controller and take pictures http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Anyone?

Sputnik

If I get a keyboard I may think about it. Freedom for the silent masses!

OmegaofTime
Nov 5, 2002, 04:32 PM
That's actually a good idea. ASCII obviously used a converter in their configuration since the keyboard they have has two cables, where one is definitely the input/output for the keyboard. If you open the connector end, you should see something "keyboard-like" inside. It's best just to e-mail Lik Sang or NCSX to see if they can tackle this project.

On 2002-11-05 13:16, Sput wrote:
Howdy all...

There has to be documentation somewhere on the web for the gc controller pinout (or at least we could look at the controller adapter to ps dual shock)

Then all we do is look at the pinout/connection to the keyboard on the import ascii (it's a separate cable, so a screwdriver should get us visual access) then we make a modified ps/2 computer keyboard have the same pinout.

Anyone?

Sputnik

PlatinumGame
Nov 5, 2002, 04:35 PM
On 2002-11-05 12:04, OmegaofTime wrote:

I assumed he had the import because of this statement:

Almost everyone? Everytime i join a game theres no talking what-so-ever. all they do is fight and do the symbol chat.

Why else would he say that if he didn't?...

Sput
Nov 5, 2002, 05:20 PM
Bump http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Is there anyone in the Los Angeles area with an ascii keyboard? If so I'd love to come by and look at it to try and create a ps/2 keyboard adaptor....

Sputnik

Howdy all...

Now we just need someone to open their ascii controller and take pictures

Anyone?

Sputnik

maximusPSO
Nov 5, 2002, 06:19 PM
Ok,
I heard back from himeya.com. Here is the latest email I received back from them:

Dear ***,
Thank you for your order. Yesterday was Japanese holiday so we could not make it "Sold Out",,, Well, we don't have the controller completely. We
accepted plenty of the orders for the controller. So probabry in this week we cannot ship out your controller. Really sorry about this.

I guess I'm screwed. Oh well... If they don't ship it next week I hope I can get my money back.... I'm sure to that you'd say "good luck." lol. oh well...

Vandal
Nov 5, 2002, 06:50 PM
On 2002-11-05 12:16, charr wrote:
GC PSO a failure. That may indeed be true.

In that case, I'm glad I borrowed, not bought, my GC.

But it is still worth it to buy the game and adapter to be able to play cheat free on GC.

Isn't that a bit presumptuous? Its been out a week and I see more and more players on every day. Canadians aren't even on in force yet.

Also I've been finding more and more of my old friends every day, in addition to making lots of new ones. What this means to me is that a LOT of people who owned the DC ver are buying this one, in addition to people who never even owned a DC. There are probably a lot of people like me who only even got a GC specifically FOR PSO...

Ahem, and to make this post relevent to the topic at hand: Talking with software kb sucks and I'm extremely jealous of those with asdf kbs. True its not impossible by any means but its very frustrating when playing with those who DO have kb x.X; I'm glad they updated the word select though with new useful phrases, and I'm glad I used to play around with it just for fun on DC http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Vandal on 2002-11-05 15:59 ]</font>

charr
Nov 5, 2002, 07:07 PM
toysnjoys.com will be shipping them next week. My mom's ordering it for my birthday. I think it's $93 with UPS 2-day air, or something.

Beats waiting 2-3 months.

I hope we find a cheaper solution so everybody can chat again. There were a lot of people online this weekend. I hope it will grow.

BTW, MagicPink, Lan Kwai emailed me with their PayPal ID:

The total for your desired item including airmail shipping (7 - 14 days) to the USA is US$ 88.00.

Payment can be made via http://www.paypal.com to [email protected].

Best Regards,
Michael
http://www.lan-kwei.com

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: charr on 2002-11-05 16:19 ]</font>

Ruby-chan
Nov 5, 2002, 07:29 PM
On 2002-11-05 13:16, Sput wrote:

Sputnik

It isn't as simple as that. Chances are you'll wind up damaging a keyboard or the gamecube that way. There's no assurance that the signals to the GCN are encoded the same way as they are for a ps/2 keyboard.

However if you really want some pictures, there's a few here.

http://mineko.fc2web.com/box/kb-room/items/gc-keyboardcontroler.html

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ruby-chan on 2002-11-05 16:39 ]</font>

Sput
Nov 5, 2002, 07:57 PM
Thanks... it does look more complex than that... oh well..

Sput

It isn't as simple as that. Chances are you'll wind up damaging a keyboard or the gamecube that way. There's no assurance that the signals to the GCN are encoded the same way as they are for a ps/2 keyboard.

However if you really want some pictures, there's a few here.

http://mineko.fc2web.com/box/kb-room/items/gc-keyboardcontroler.html

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ruby-chan on 2002-11-05 16:39 ]</font>
[/quote]

maximusPSO
Nov 5, 2002, 10:20 PM
Some person named "Emil" is going nuts on the himeya website's messageboard where I ordered the keyboard. He quoted the email I posted here and called the operator there a b!tch.

It looks like I did it since he used the email I posted here. I don't care if "Emil" is upset. That was uncalled for and immature.

If any of you know who this is, I would request that you send that person into this thread b/c I would like an apology. I still wanted to get my keyboard from this company, but after he wrote something like that, and made it look like I wrote it to slander their website, I doubt they would want to do business with me any longer.

I demand an apology "Emil."

Emil
Nov 5, 2002, 11:56 PM
On 2002-11-05 19:20, maximusPSO wrote:
Some person named "Emil" is going nuts on the himeya website's messageboard where I ordered the keyboard. He quoted the email I posted here and called the operator there a b!tch.

It looks like I did it since he used the email I posted here. I don't care if "Emil" is upset. That was uncalled for and immature.

If any of you know who this is, I would request that you send that person into this thread b/c I would like an apology. I still wanted to get my keyboard from this company, but after he wrote something like that, and made it look like I wrote it to slander their website, I doubt they would want to do business with me any longer.

I demand an apology "Emil."

I sent you a PM. Again I am very sorry. I was just so angry with them and I was trying to make them understand that they are taking other peoples money, not only mine and false advertising.

katada
Nov 6, 2002, 12:24 AM
i would avoid lan-kwei for now, ive heard from some people that they have had fast shipping, but from a few, including myself, it has taken 3-4 months for them to ship 1 game.

maximusPSO
Nov 6, 2002, 12:28 AM
Emil,
Apology accepted.
Ben

MajinSSJVegetto
Nov 6, 2002, 03:01 AM
I am pretty sure it would be simple and risk free to mod a different keyboard for use with the GCN; IF you know what you are doing.

As those pics displayed, the keyboard is not at part of the controller electronics wise.
It has a seperate cable and never electronicly interacts with the controller.

I doubt they would go and change the ASCII code for the keyboard.
It is probably just the same as any other keyboard.
The keyboard would need a ground, a +5v line (or 3.3v, not sure), and a data line.

I beleive it would be pretty simple to test which is which or find pinouts somewhere on the internet.
It shouldn't be able to do damage if you hook it up correctly. Only a sort or overvoltage could hurt it, which well, isn't very possibly in this set up.

The only problem could be if it did have a special chip inside the keyboard that altered the data signal or gave the GCN a ID of what was plugged in or something, but well, I hope not.

Sput
Nov 6, 2002, 12:08 PM
I agree... I will try to get a hold of one to test it. I have a mini-din test kit here at work.

Thanks for your input everyone...

Sput

On 2002-11-06 00:01, MajinSSJVegetto wrote:
I am pretty sure it would be simple and risk free to mod a different keyboard for use with the GCN; IF you know what you are doing.

OmegaofTime
Nov 6, 2002, 01:53 PM
There are very little keyboards that use special chips to send information. The ones that do however, are wireless keyboards and the like. In this case, it's extremely unlikely that ASCII would use such a thing. If they did, the cost of the board would have been significantly higher than what it is now. Hopefully, somebody here suceeds in analyzing how it's wired.

EDIT: Certain types of electronic devices have a global standard of how they transmit information and how they are wired, mouse and keyboards are an example. There's very little reason for ASCII to reinvent a new standard with something as widespread as a keyboard. There's a huge chance ASCII used some simple wiring techniques. Anybody willing to break open the ASCII connectors?

On 2002-11-06 00:01, MajinSSJVegetto wrote:

[/quote]

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: OmegaofTime on 2002-11-06 13:14 ]</font>

Shrevn
Nov 6, 2002, 05:53 PM
I see it this way... If i buy a keyboard by wasting $80-$100 and get it, Would it be worth it when noone else has one and cant reply fast or cant at all.... Thinks about it.

PS: If you think i put this excuse up cause i dont wana waste the money YOUR DAMN RIGHT! althou i probably am either way....

charr
Nov 6, 2002, 06:31 PM
I still think a team leader with Keyboard would be very effective in field. Even if everybody else is relegated to "OK" "Yes" "No" etc team leader FOnemn could say hold on, "I'll revive you" before someone goes back to Pioneer, etc.

The other night a newbie player was asking for help. He didn't have a keyboard, but if I did, I could have explained a lot to him. Instead he got lost when trying to follow me into a game because he didn't even know how to join a game and I couldn't figure out how to explain it to him.

Keyboards both ways would be better. I'm still very disapointed about all that. But I ordered mine and hope everyone else gets one soon. I does suck to play without it.

X-thirteen
Nov 6, 2002, 07:35 PM
no keyboard is worth over 60 dollars.
why people will spend so much on a keyboard, a crappy keyboard at that, is beyond me.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: X-thirteen on 2002-11-06 16:37 ]</font>

VulpesMundi
Nov 6, 2002, 07:44 PM
What I'm disappointed in is the fact that Nintendo designed the GC without USB ports. Even just one damn USB port would have saved the majority of us a hell of a lot of trouble in finding a keyboard to use. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_argh.gif

Jeffrey
Nov 8, 2002, 03:21 PM
I doubt its possible to solder a version out of the dreamcast keyboard... I would need the actual japanese controller to pick apart if it is possible... But dreamcast keyboards are a dime a dozen now and somebody could make a whole ton of money...

Etrigan
Nov 8, 2002, 05:25 PM
It can't be that difficult, really. There has to be someone here with some electronics background.

charr
Nov 8, 2002, 05:51 PM
P.S. I'm tempted to buy a controller tonight, cut the wires, and connect a keyboard. $20 controller. $0 keyboard. Maybe I can just get a used controller and cannabilize....

I rewired my kids' N64 controllers when they cut the wire. Do you guys think it would be much different with the keyboard--> GC controller?

I know I'm being naive... but it might just work.

So what's the consensus? Should I try it?

inkman
Nov 8, 2002, 06:43 PM
On 2002-11-08 14:51, charr wrote:
P.S. I'm tempted to buy a controller tonight, cut the wires, and connect a keyboard. $20 controller. $0 keyboard. Maybe I can just get a used controller and cannabilize....

I rewired my kids' N64 controllers when they cut the wire. Do you guys think it would be much different with the keyboard--> GC controller?

I know I'm being naive... but it might just work.

So what's the consensus? Should I try it?

Don't bother ive tried it. As I suspected the kb is not recognized by the GC.
It needs an eprom or similar to tell the GC what kind of device it is.
(the DC-kb adapters have this). This is common to most console devices.
If I could get an ASCII kb I might be able to R.E. it.
The ASCII kb uses a mitsumi kb controller card. These are very popular
(imacs use this) so I'm certain it sends out normal ascii kb code.
(no reason to reinvent the wheel).

charr
Nov 8, 2002, 07:13 PM
[/quote]
[/quote]

I have an iMac. Should I try that? Or would I still be missing the eprom?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: charr on 2002-11-08 16:17 ]</font>

inkman
Nov 8, 2002, 07:24 PM
On 2002-11-08 16:13, charr wrote:

[/quote]

I have an iMac. Should I try that? Or would I still be missing the eprom?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: charr on 2002-11-08 16:17 ]</font>
[/quote]

Yeah, I suspect it wont work without the ACK or ATT signal from the device.
(acknowledge and attention) this is probably supplied by an eprom or
a pic controller or sometimes a (semi simple) circuit of some kind.
Without one to work from( say the one inside the ASCII kb ) were
out of luck. Unless you can get Nintendo to give you the specs. ; )

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: inkman on 2002-11-08 16:26 ]</font>

PerventerWind
Nov 8, 2002, 07:58 PM
Well I came across this on Gamefaqs and it looks like there will be a KB just need to wait. here is part of the interview the full is the link at the bottom.

"IGNcube: 'When does Sega expect owners of Phantasy Star Online Episode I & II for GameCube will be able to purchase a keyboard in the U.S.?'

Richard Briggs, senior product marketing manager, Sega of America: 'We are working to make sure this happens as quickly as possible.'

IGNcube: 'Are there any solutions Sega suggests current owners of PSO Episode I & II seek out?'

Richard: 'Select import shops are currently carrying the PSO Japanese keyboard, either online or on shelf. The Japanese keyboard is compatible with the US version of PSO Episode I & II. As Sega continues to work on an official distribution strategy, visiting a local Import gaming shop or searching online are the best options for gamers who are interested in purchasing a keyboard immediately.'

IGNcube: 'Thanks for your time!'"

From what it saids that sega is aware of the problem and is trying to get US a KB.Now I know 100 people are goin to counter me because they like to BUT I AM NOT SAYING SEGA IS GOIN TO MAKE A KB but they will try to get a thrid party to make it. Who knows what.
It says in the at the end that sega is refering to the ASCII one. well if you want to pay $100 for one than go right a ahead this post is just for those who keep saying "There will not be a keyboard" lol if you keep saying it there may not be one.

Here is the Link to the Interview to show that this is true. Link: http://cube.ign.com/articles/375/375951p1.html

Peace

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: PerventerWind on 2002-11-08 17:00 ]</font>

Zandria
Nov 8, 2002, 10:20 PM
Lan-Kwei worked fine for me, I'm waiting for the final confirmation email on my order. They probably had server errors.

xSerenityx
Nov 9, 2002, 08:38 PM
Yeah, I placed my order from Lan-Kwei on 11/6, they replied on 11/7 with that same e-mail charr posted...it was from even from "Michael", too! But my buddy Michael told me there might be a "2 weeks processing" stage, "due to the hug demand" (and yeah, he did type "hug" ^_~)..."though unlikely".

Has anyone who's ordered from Lan-Kwei actually received their KB yet??? If so, about how long did it take? I chose the Speed Post delivery (1-4 days).

The things we do for PSO...heh. ^_^

CorneliusPower
Nov 10, 2002, 07:31 AM
SerialToon makes a hell of a lot of sense. Why import a keyboard RIGHT NOW, I mean, I clocked 75 hours of PSO on GC on-line with my BBA, and yet to hear a conversation thats actually going back in forth in a sensible manner. PSO is hella fun, and getting to to know everyone's hot keys isnt hard. Yes yes yes ppl, those of you who spent about 100 bucks on a keyboard are lucky to have 1, just ask yourself, I bought a keyboard for $100.00 with shipping, omg I rule! I can talk fast! LoL, i know im a hypocrate cause im on the back-order waiting list for the keyboard. But, really, there is no rush, consider yourself ok if you have a HL and a BBA, i cant imagine anyone playing w/out a BBA. BTW, I finally met Ness on-line and he cool!

Vandal
Nov 10, 2002, 12:34 PM
I've gotten so accustomed to the software kb that last night some people thought I was using a real one... I wish.

charr
Nov 10, 2002, 01:55 PM
I've gotten so used to software keyboard that the only time I've really wished for one was when new people ask me questions like "What's a Guild Card?" or "I'm new to this, how do I do it?"

I can't even begin to figure a way to tell them on the software keyboard.

I know I could tell them to read the manual -- but I had veteran PSO'ers on DC who helped me learn the ropes (as opposed to PKing me). I just want to share the love.

I mean it's not like they are gonna get PK'd, or lose their weps at level 1 (that happened to me and I had to fight Boomas with my fists until I found a saber LOL. But I'm sitting here thinking: This person obviously never played PSO on the Dreamcast, yet for some reason they went out of the way to get a modem or BBA *and* the game. They found out how to get online. They did all that without the crack addiction the rest of us are afflicted with -- I don't want them to give up frustrated having spent $90 to play.

BLah blah blah. Is helping newbies who should read the manual worth $100? In my mind it is. That's half the fun of PSO: helping people and getting help.

rbf2000
Nov 11, 2002, 06:55 PM
Would one of these PS/2 keybaord ->DC adapters (http://www.videogamedepot.com/shop/product.asp?pf%5Fid=01I002591011) help?

Possibly, one could look and see how it is routed, and then apply that to the gamecube.

*shurgs*

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: rbf2000 on 2002-11-11 15:55 ]</font>

charr
Nov 11, 2002, 07:48 PM
Some company should just make one of those for about $15 for GC. Even $20. I'd buy one.

maximusPSO
Nov 12, 2002, 02:47 AM
Guys and gals,...just an FYI on my keyboard purchase. It was shipped out on Monday by Himeya and has left Japan according to the tracking number I have. It took them about a week since my initial order to send it. Not bad considering the backorder. Supposedly EMS shipping is fast, so I'll hopefully get it on Friday or Saturday. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

charr
Nov 12, 2002, 02:45 PM
Glad to hear your keyboard will be coming to you soon.

Mine should be shipping today or tomorrow. My birthday is Nov. 14 -- so I really want to get it soon!

I paid for 2nd day air from Hawaii.

toysnjoys.com have been pretty good to me so far, putting up with *lot's* of nervous phone calls from me since I placed my order Nov. 5. They were a little on the pricy side -- but I can call and talk to a real person on their toll free number so it was worth the extra $10 to me.

Shrevn
Nov 12, 2002, 05:46 PM
OMG OMG OMG... im gettin a Keyboard.... i dont know why, how, or even WHY????? im doing this but i bought one... i cant freakin play without one and it sucks not being able to talk so i bought one... $110 >.<;; had it reserved a while back... so now they filled up their stock and i got mines shipped out today!!! wopee!!! verry reliable at least i think >.<;; if your interested in trying to find one heres the link.

http://www.dcslinks.com

You can get it for $97 but its some hong kong weird shipping... so i dont trust that UPS its my god!
and if anyone has some feedback from these people if youved purchased from them before please post it here... althou theyved been nothing but great with me and reply to all my emails promptly and verry fast!

JoeFongul
Nov 12, 2002, 07:46 PM
If that Hong Kong shipping is through a service called EMS, you have nothing to worry about. I've ordered from Hong Kong before for controllers and found the service to be very reliable.

As far as the availablilty of keyboards now, I just preordered a keyboard at Video Game Depot for $74.99. The best thing is that they're arriving and shipping tomorrow (and 2 day UPS was only $6.71) Here's the URL: http://www.videogamedepot.com/

Japan Video Games is also preordering the keyboard for Dec. 13th at a smooth $69.95. I wound up preordering this last night, so I'll have an extra on my hands for one of my friends if the keyboard at VGD goes through. Here's the URL: http://www.japanvideogames.com

GOOD LUCK! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

serialtoon
Nov 12, 2002, 09:28 PM
http://www.lik-sang.com/image.php?category=52&products_id=2143&img=gc-cube_connection_usb

This is a link to one of the gamecube USB adapters from LikSang. Maybe we can use this as a tool to getting a regular USB keyboard to work on the GC!

Etrigan
Nov 13, 2002, 03:57 AM
Oh how I wish. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Etrigan
Nov 13, 2002, 04:02 AM
"This item is unavailable for order"

Looks like they're out Joe. But, I'd be interested in this, if I could figure out how to convert DC to GC.
http://www.videogamedepot.com/shop/product.asp?pf%5Fid=01I002591011

JoeFongul
Nov 13, 2002, 01:49 PM
I did get my keyboard order in time at VGD before they ran out http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif so I'll be a keyboard owner on Friday.

You still might want to consider preordering at Japan Video Games anyway. They will have the keyboards in the second week of Dec (in fact I still have it preordered)

Good luck! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Shrevn
Nov 14, 2002, 03:52 PM
I mighta been alot of money but im the first one to say that site its hella reliable!!! I received it this morning in perfect shape just as it should be!!! 2 day shipping and well worth the way althou the letter are kinda lil but i can talk!!! heh i assure anyone the money its well woth it.

charr
Nov 14, 2002, 05:27 PM
ToysNJoys.com confirmed: mine shipped this morning. I will see it on Monday!

Yay!

(Of course I got my PS2 Everquest Online Adventures beta disc last night -- thank god I don't need a special keyboard for that!)

Anybody on that beta -- I'll see you soon.

Charr

MajinSSJVegetto
Nov 14, 2002, 09:00 PM
I emailed interact and got this:

"We are currently looking into manufacturing a keyboard for the GameCube console. We do not have any other information on this product at this point in time. As soon as we do it will be posted on http://www.interactaccessories.com ."

Hopefully it won't be called "sharkboard" or whatever their PS2 keyboard is called.

xSerenityx
Nov 16, 2002, 01:05 AM
I ordered mine from dcslinks.com.....gotta cancel that lan-kwei order. DCS responded within MINUTES, and it's already on it's way! They said it should be here by Monday...wahoo! ^___^

SeiferA
Nov 17, 2002, 01:14 AM
I hope that Mad Katz (sp) rumor is right. I'd love to import a keyboard (Especially since Im an importing freak), but I don't exactly have the ka-blinky right now

If the U.S. still doesn't get one come this January, however, my patience will run out and my money will lead me to Himeya (I'd use ToysNJoys, but they made a huge mess once when I tried ordering a japanese D-Arc from them. Took a whole month to get it.)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: SeiferA on 2002-11-16 22:15 ]</font>

shawnhpi
Nov 17, 2002, 01:32 AM
i Am in the states (u.s)

where and what KEYBOARDS can i use.. I have a U.S system ect....

I need one ASAP..

Thanks alllll

need sites and correct working keyboards.

charr
Nov 17, 2002, 11:42 AM
As far as we know, there is only one correct working keyboard for US (or any other) edition of PSO for GC. It's the ASCII (brand name) Keyboard Controller, a normal Nintendo controller with a keyaboard(about the size the ones on some sub-notebook computers) between the left and right handle. You can import it from a variety of places like:

japanvideogames.com

toysnjoys.com

himeya.com

lan-kwei.com

Expect to pay anywhere from $70 to $100 (no joke). And expect to wait. The one I ordered from toysnjoys.com was $93 with shipping. I ordered it two weeks ago, 2nd day air. Due to the backorder, I am expecting to receive it tomorrow.

You gotta decide if it's worth the bling bling. I almost quit PSO over it. But I am getting one and we'll wait and see.

Meanwhile, maybe we should have a thread where people who have the keyboard can review it and let other people know whether it's worth buying? Mods, what do you think?

JoeFongul
Nov 17, 2002, 03:23 PM
Well I received my keyboard on Friday and to tell you the truth, I'm having mixed feelings about it. The keyboard is too small for my big hands for one. Another thing is that even though I do have the ability to type away and make conversation now, the people I usually play with do not (which almost defeats the purpose IMHO) The controller itself is very nice and the buttons on the controller feels like a 1st party Gamecube controller (most 3rd party pads do not).

I did test to see if I could plug in a regular Gamecube controller in the first controller slot and just use the keyboard plug in the second controller slot. Works like a charm so I just had a regular controller and the keyboard on my lap instead for a while yesterday (just in case the controller gets too bulky!)

Last, but not least, I found another retailer with the keyboard in stock. Check out Game Choice Club here. (http://www.gamechoiceclub.com/index.html) They have the keyboard in stock at $69, plus they have the Gamecube VGA Cable in stock as well http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif (works with all Progressive Scan games including PSO and looks as good as the DC VGA Box according to other impressions that I've read!) Good luck! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

MilkManX
Nov 18, 2002, 12:08 PM
Check out the site in my signature. Its worth 5 minutes of your time.

charr
Nov 18, 2002, 03:28 PM
On 2002-11-17 12:23, JoeFongul wrote:
Well I received my keyboard on Friday and to tell you the truth, I'm having mixed feelings about it. The keyboard is too small for my big hands for one. Another thing is that even though I do have the ability to type away and make conversation now, the people I usually play with do not (which almost defeats the purpose IMHO)

I have to say that I am a little put off by my keyboard, too (I got it today). I'm excited to play with it, but there still aren't many people online who have them.

Meanwhile, I'm a beta tester for Everquest Online Adventures on my PS2 -- and it can use a normal USB keyboard (hallelujah).

Oblivious
Nov 18, 2002, 09:59 PM
On 2002-11-17 12:23, JoeFongul wrote:
Another thing is that even though I do have the ability to type away and make conversation now, the people I usually play with do not (which almost defeats the purpose IMHO).

I was seriously considering plunking down the $$$ and importing a keyboard, but I figured the same thing that you just said here. While I might have been able to type quickly with a KB, it isn't that useful because you still have to wait for everyone else to input their text on the software keyboard. Not worth $70 unless everyone else has a KB also...

Eve
Nov 19, 2002, 07:45 PM
Seems to me PSO(any format) is the most expensive console game to get running *fully*...

If only the Pc version came out in the west http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif
That would take care of the keyboard at least.

BaldurElska
Nov 21, 2002, 12:46 AM
Here are my preliminary results/ideas with project: MAKE KB!

*****WARNING - THIS COULD BLOW YOUR HARDWARE - DO NOT ATTEMPT UNLESS YOUR ARE WILLING TO REPLACE OR LIVE WITHOUT!!!!!************************************** *****

dREAMCAST KEYBOARD
black (becomes uninsulated ground/shield)
white
red
blue
green

gAMECUBE CONTROLLER
white
red
blue
green
yellow

sPLICING CONFIGS AND RESULTS
Since there is one less wire I intially hooked them up one-to-one colorwise leaving the yellow not connected...The result was GC starts up and goes online fine but when you type nothing happens...

Next I switched green to yellow...power light on/off for one second....unplugged...turned GC back on tested second port everything ok....WHEW!

Finally I tried putting green to blue and blue to green with no yellow connection....result same as last one...everything checked out ok after unplugging though.

oVERSIGHT
Being the lazy person i am...i did not replace any of the 12+ screws! on the dreamcast kb but just snapped it together...because of the way the keyboard is made this may have caused it not to type...im not sure but i am going to attempt to go with the initial color to color config with all the screws in just to make sure, but i am kinda thinking this may be to no avail do to the mentioned eprom problem...if so i will examin the ic's next (a PSO'er rarely gives up huh ?:)

cONCLUSION
It seems the GC may have a protection circuit that shuts of the machine if there is a controller problem. (I very much hope so because i really dont want to replace the hardware !:) This may not be so so again I strongly warn **************THIS COULD BLOW UP YOUR GAMECUBE, KEYBOARD, CONTROLLER SO IT IS STRONGLY ADVISED NOT TO TRY UNLESS YOU ARE CONFIDENT IN YOUR ABILITIES OR FOOLISH LIKE ME!************

The GC to USB adapter idea sounds like the next best avenue to me....

TO BE CONTINUED

MajinSSJVegetto
Nov 21, 2002, 02:30 AM
A dreamcast keyboard or normal computer PS/2 keyboard can not be used by themselves with a gamecube.

They should work, except one little thing.

That is that they don't tell the gamecube that they are a keyboard. The DC tries to tell it that, but in a dreamcast way, which the DC doesn't care about.

To get them to work you would need to find out the digital codes used to tell the GCN a keyboard is connected, and then use some electronic chips to wait to send the normal signals (and possibly block some of the signals not needed from the DC keyboard) after it tells the GC it is a keyboard.

Without this acknoledgement the GCN sees power being used from no device, and shuts down to stop any malfunction that may occur.

RellikTakahashi
Nov 24, 2002, 10:36 AM
import one or not? thats my question!

Gartywood
Nov 24, 2002, 12:49 PM
I just preordered a keyboard from http://www.therage.com for 69 plus 9 shipping they are supposed to be in on the 12th of december

Elusive_Llama
Nov 25, 2002, 10:29 AM
I refuse to buy an import keyboard and pay ridiculous prices. It's not that I can't afford it...I just refuse to shell out my money to scalpers.

MajinSSJVegetto
Nov 25, 2002, 03:31 PM
Its not that high priced.

Its a keyboard, a $30+ item. Its a controller, a $30 item. That brings it to $60. When things are very uncommon and few are made, the price goes up. Add $10.
Thats $70 which is what you can get them for now.

Ghen
Nov 25, 2002, 06:13 PM
$30+ item? Man, where do you get your info? You can get a good, workable USB keyboard for $15. If you were talking ps2, you'd be looking at $10. You can get an official Nintendo controller for $25, down to $15 for third party controllers. Spending $70+ (can't forget the shipping) on a less than full size keyboard with an uneeded controller built in? Bleh, DC did it for $20, full size, no extra junk. I only hope a company releases a decent keyboard stateside...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ghen on 2002-11-25 15:20 ]</font>

MajinSSJVegetto
Nov 25, 2002, 06:37 PM
You are speaking of cheap on sale keyboards and such.

If you want to go the way of non-standard prices, you could also go up to $40 and $60.
But I didn't, I left it at a normal, standard price.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: MajinSSJVegetto on 2002-11-25 15:39 ]</font>

Mute
Nov 27, 2002, 09:50 AM
Well, considering the demand for all PSO related goods is pretty high, and the product itself is getting scarcer, I suppose the Keyboard price isn't too unreasonable. However, I'm gonna wait a month or two more for a *prays* http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_innocent.gif US release keyboard. If I don't see one by then, and Sonic Team is semi-regularly updating the servers with quests, events, etc., then I'll likely bite the bullet and import one. >_<

ThresholdRPG
Dec 1, 2002, 10:34 AM
Last, but not least, I found another retailer with the keyboard in stock. Check out Game Choice Club . They have the keyboard in stock at $69, plus they have the Gamecube VGA Cable in stock as well http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif (works with all Progressive Scan games including PSO and looks as good as the DC VGA Box according to other impressions that I've read!) Good luck! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Keyboard is now out of stock there. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

wayne_statix
Dec 1, 2002, 01:57 PM
Like we said before... Just wait for the xbox version and use Live! voice talk ... thats hella better sounding... and the mic is provided with your Xbox Live! purchase *btw the most expensive console game to run will be Steel battalion ... its going to be $199 just for the game and the controller*

SpiDErIICSF
Dec 2, 2002, 09:27 PM
my friend has a US keyboard... they released it in the U.S. duh and he didn't pay 55 dollars for it...lol plus as far as the xbox version goes ... who wants to give bill gates more money... u have to pay for xbox live then you gotta pay for the HL no way am i spending all that money

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: SpiDErIICSF on 2002-12-02 18:35 ]</font>

Ghen
Dec 3, 2002, 01:13 PM
Care to give out any information about this supposed US keyboard slick?

wayne_statix
Dec 4, 2002, 03:57 AM
hey smarty XBOX VERSION DOESNT CHARGE A HUNTERS LICENSE ...

wise up before you talk... foolish one =

and look if your an anti-xboxer dont talk to me because obviously you havent seen how much faster the speed of xbox is also you can have up to like 16 chars just on the HDD already provided and no extra BBA to buy its already included ...!

Oedi
Dec 4, 2002, 09:33 AM
Xbox smexbox... we're in the here and now. We need a keyboard for the GC for US PSO... Please!

Since I'm wishing for one... How about making an adapter so we could use a PC keyboard on the GC?

Oedi

Tiger
Dec 4, 2002, 11:13 AM
KB Availability Round Up:

Video game depot: Out of stock
Amazon.co.jp: Out of stock
E-Bay: 4 of them available, bids reaching triple digits.
ToysnJoys: Pre-order, ships 3rd week of december.
Lan Kwei: Says available. Attempts to contact are futile.

Abductor
Dec 4, 2002, 03:06 PM
Avoid Lan-Kwei. They say "available immediately" but I asked for a refund after no word of shipment after four weeks. They did not reply to later emails asking for an update.

I got one through Network Video Games in Burlingame CA

However, It's a little disappointing. The keyboard is so small and cramped that it takes me about as long to type a message as it would using the standard controller. For example the space bar is about one inch long.

Hopefully my fingers will get used to it.

Oh yeah and the cable is really short and uses two inputs so be prepared to get two extension cables if you don't play right up in front of your monitor.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Abductor on 2002-12-04 12:08 ]</font>

twg
Dec 4, 2002, 03:43 PM
Oh great... I already paid Lan-Kwei through Paypal. Anyone know how I would go about getting my money back?

Abductor
Dec 4, 2002, 04:20 PM
On 2002-12-04 12:43, twg wrote:
Oh great... I already paid Lan-Kwei through Paypal. Anyone know how I would go about getting my money back?

Paypal has a complaint form. You go to their "frequently asked questions" area and it's pretty visible. The question is something like "What do if I've been ripped off".

However they want you to try and work it out with the seller first. You should give them the time they state for shipment. If it's not shipped as promised, I'd get on them to give you an exact shipment date, or a refund. Then if they don't reply after a couple of days, do the paypal process.

Layrinn
Dec 5, 2002, 01:41 PM
I'd just like to chime in here with my Lan-Kwei experience. I placed an order with them for a keyboard on November 14th. The PayPal transaction was completed on the same day. I received an order confirmation from them the next day saying that it would be shipped within two weeks time. About a week later, my PC crashed and I lost the email containing that order confirmation number. So, I emailed Lan-Kwei asking that they send my confirmation again... no response. I try again a few days later... no response.

By now, two weeks have passed since I placed the order. I go to their web site and check their recent news. They say they've been having trouble with their mail server and to please contact them through their on-line form. Ok, so I do that. I'm still simply asking them to re-send my order confirmation and provide an update on my order status. Gee... no response. I try their online form one last time a few days ago. Can you guess what happened? Yup... no response. So finally, today I try to call their (international) customer service number. I get a fax machine. Now THAT's what I call customer service.

This afternoon, I fill out the customer complaint form on PayPal. In the message, I ask that they either ship the order promptly or refund my money. I click the Send button. Twenty minutes later, I get an email from PayPal saying my money has been refunded....

~blink~

WTF. Maybe they do things differently in Hong Kong, but if it were me I would have at least tried to contact the customer and work things out. Thanks oh-so-much Lan-Kwei for wasting my time.

... at least I got my money back... =/

Sedyne
Dec 5, 2002, 09:24 PM
I feel for ya Layrinn, I don't trust these import sites. The only ones I believe have a very good repuration is videogamesdepot.com and ncsx.com. I've ordered stuff from others but nothing was as smooth or easy to get customer support for than those two sites.

Blue147
Dec 5, 2002, 10:12 PM
man you got riped off they been doing that for a wile my brother ordered stuff from them and he still hasn't got his stuff or his money back and he placed the order three months ago.they are not the best place to order game stuff from.

Abductor
Dec 6, 2002, 12:51 AM
Well Lan-Kwei looks like a swindle. I wouldn't be surprised if our automatic refunds were because they were in some type of probationary status with PayPal but that's just a guess.

But while Hong Kong does play fast and loose with the rules, there are a lot of good import shops out there. Best thing I think is word of mouth. Ask your pals here.

But I have good news, read on...

Abductor
Dec 6, 2002, 01:01 AM
News Flash!

I mentioned earlier that I got mine recently at Network Video Games in Burlingame CA. Well some cool guy that reads this forum (sorry I forgot your name) IM'd me and told me that they have a website--
http://www.numbthumb.net/cgi-bin/perlshop/perlshop.cgi?ACTION=template&thispage=5057&ORDER_ID=502863558

I checked with a guy at the store who informed me a huge shipment would be there soon, possibly late today!

numbthumb
Dec 7, 2002, 03:25 AM
hey all, glad to find your site and someone was cool enough to let me know they found us through PSO World. Just wanted to let everyone know we are getting a large load of Keyboards in Monday and we are based in good ole Cali. You dont have to worry about Hong Kong antics to get your KB. (leave that up to us...sigh) We are open for preorder for this batch on Monday and all who order WILL get one. They are very pricey, im sorry for that but prices are very high for us as well because of how scarce theyve gotten. Grab yours at our site:

http://www.numbthumb.net

we have them right on the homepage top and center.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: numbthumb on 2002-12-07 00:34 ]</font>

TedEdFred
Dec 8, 2002, 06:07 AM
hax0r = no (http://atarilabs.com/cgi-bin/UltraBoard/UltraBoard.cgi?action=Read&BID=12&TID=270&SID=)

Ghen
Dec 8, 2002, 07:44 PM
Call me crazy, but $120 seems *ahem* a bit steep from http://www.numbthumb.com. Is a russian mail order bride included with that price?

Subliminalgroove
Dec 8, 2002, 10:24 PM
Okay... so it seems there is little hope for a keyboard anytime soon. So I thought I would mention a work around that myself and a few other people have been doing. In the absence of the much desired keyboard we have been using Game Voice. It works great! Of course you need to have your GC close to your computer (or BIG extension cords for the headset cables) and you can't hear the sound for the game as clearly as one might like, but a small price to pay for the ability to communicate. Of course there is the additional cost of another IP address, in order to play PSO and use GV at the same time, and there is also the fact that you can't converse en masse with people in the lobby...
Not a perfect solution, but it lets you communicate with a few people. Hope this helps someone!

numbthumb
Dec 9, 2002, 02:50 AM
No argument from us. They are expensive, I didnt sugarcoat that with my original post. We had them for $75 about a month ago. Then they dried up. You have to factor in the Hong Kong factor (read: they jack up prices on the spot and sometimes even after you agree on an order) and getting product here in a hurry from HK costs an arm and a leg as well when were talking a load of keyboards. Im simply saying we have them if people are really hell bent on getting them...thats all.

Layrinn
Dec 9, 2002, 03:40 PM
It's all about supply and demand. Right now, supply is very low and demand is high... hence the price goes up. After doing a little shopping around, you'll probably find that numbthumb isn't charging much more than you would pay if you imported one yourself right now. And that's IF you could find one. I, for one, am glad that someone else is willing to do the leg work to get these things here. Read a few posts up and you'll find the results of my attempt to import one myself. Lan-Kwei had been reliable for many people in the recent past, when all of a sudden... they don't want to talk to anyone about GC keyboards.

If anyone is to blame for the high prices and lack of availability, it's Sega and SonicTeam for not ensuring that their game was fully supported upon release.

Just my two cents...

Jae
Dec 9, 2002, 03:47 PM
I've been thinking about this keyboard issue...

Would it be possible to use one of those PS2 -> GC controller adapter with a PS2 keyboard? Sorry if this has been posted before, but I was just wondering if anyone has tried it.

PS2 -> GC adapter $12.99
PS2 keyboard $19.99
-------------------------
SubTotal = $32.98

hmm...

MajinSSJVegetto
Dec 9, 2002, 06:37 PM
No.

The PS2 adapter allows you to use a PS2 controller on the GCN.
The PS2 keyboard does not fit into the controller port. It instead uses USB.

If someone would just make a USB or PS/2 (pc keyboard) to GCN adapter we could all use nice keyboard for $15-20, but no one seems to make this SIMPLE, CHEAP item.

Don't be mad at Sega.
Sega is NOT a hardware company anymore. They ONLY do software now.
There is no reason to expect them to make a keyboard.

Jae
Dec 10, 2002, 11:29 AM
On 2002-12-09 15:37, MajinSSJVegetto wrote:
No.

The PS2 adapter allows you to use a PS2 controller on the GCN.
The PS2 keyboard does not fit into the controller port. It instead uses USB.

If someone would just make a USB or PS/2 (pc keyboard) to GCN adapter we could all use nice keyboard for $15-20, but no one seems to make this SIMPLE, CHEAP item.

*sigh* I thought I was on to something there. Oh well. Shows my lack of knowledge of the PS2.

Nobody would ever make a simple adapter like that, because as it is, hardware companies have us all by the balls. That's exactly how they want it to be.

HunterXHunter
Dec 10, 2002, 12:45 PM
I also wonder what happened to GC BroadBand Adapter i cant really find it in many stores just the modem...i really hope the keyboard comes out in US we need it = PSO without a Keyboard is like having a toilet and no tiolet paper its a Tease!

harmfulcow
Dec 10, 2002, 10:31 PM
ok, ive been playing pso since i was 10 or 11 and i have to say it was a much much more high calibur game with the keyboard. I dont give a flying f**k how small the keys are as long as i can type. also i would like to adress the issue of people not having the keyboard, its crap ok. it just so happens that quite a bit of people whose guild cards i have own a keyboard. and besides, who doesnt want to dance in the lobby? And to adress the broadband adapter issue, you should probably order it offline. try http://www.ebgames.com or http://www.gamestop.com

The insatiable,
Doug

Zecht
Dec 11, 2002, 10:31 AM
IT CAN ALL BE SOLVED SIMPLY BY A USB ADAPTER FOR THE GAMECUBE.... WHY CAN"T NINTENDO OR SOMEONE PICK UP ON THIS!?

harmfulcow
Dec 11, 2002, 02:05 PM
ok, i just finished playing pso and not having is driving me crazy!!!!! I can't be myself (a smartass) without the keyboard. If someone insults me, by the time i try to make a comeback, it takes me so long, i look like an idiot! Someone please find a keyboard solution! Also my best buds have keyboards, and we cant hold decent conversations without a keyboard! HOW CAN WE TALK ABOUT THE BEATLES WITHOUT A KEYBOARD DAMMIT!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

The insatiable,
Doug

harmfulcow
Dec 11, 2002, 02:06 PM
*not having a keyboard*

Sion
Dec 12, 2002, 12:47 AM
keyboard !!! keyboard....please someone make a keyboard ;_;

GCN-Maiku
Dec 12, 2002, 04:48 PM
There was a guy at GameFAQs boards, working on a keyboard made of his DC K-B and a GCN extension cable, but I don't think he's gotten it to work.

I've tried the PS2 adapter thing, but then I realized PS2 has a USB keyboard (did someone already say this?).

I also heard MadCatz was considering online peripherals, but I'll probably just import the ASCII thing. Oh and I don't think amazon.co.jp will ship to the USA, amazon.co.uk won't.

Zecht
Dec 13, 2002, 08:31 AM
i don't see what the hold-up is, it's for the benefit of the players...

MajinSSJVegetto
Dec 14, 2002, 08:11 PM
Im getting everyone to have their computer and GCn next to each other.

We just have aim running.

Very easy.

To bad more people can't do this.

Javier_Von_Fenrir
Dec 16, 2002, 02:31 PM
On 2002-12-13 05:31, Zecht wrote:
i don't see what the hold-up is, it's for the benefit of the players...

I can answer that ver simply, becuase Nintendo and Sonic Team can give less than a shit about thier players. All they care about is that people are still buying PSO and are still paying to play online with PSO. If a company is enjoying success without the cost of Keyboard production why bother making a Keyboard?

This just goes to show you how much Game Developers really care about the players of thier gamers. Look at the Japanese community. They had the keyboards since day one.

cbearfei
Dec 16, 2002, 10:27 PM
Well, I know there's a problem when it comes to mapping the hardware in terms of how input is read. That may be the current holdup with an adaptor for the USB to Gamecube. Even though most keyboards have a standard for how they work, the Gamecube may not, and may not know what the heck it's receiving when we attempt to type. How about DC to Gamecube adaptor, that seems more logical since the keyboard was built to plug into the dreamcast. Don't need to worry about a USB port and PSO was designed to work with that keyboard to begin with before it was ported.

Gartywood
Dec 17, 2002, 09:54 AM
a simple dreamcast to GC adapter would most likely not work for a keyboard beauce it would probably only be designed to understand the controller. What we need is a PS/2 to GC adapter. oh well i will be a KB owner next week. And as for Sonic team and nintendo not caring about the players. It is Nintendo. They are the hardware manufacturer. ST worked with ascii in japan to produce the KB. Ascii has been burned in the past releasing hardware to the US. (i bought a few of their DC arcade sticks that walmart couldnt sell and sold them on ebay for like 80 bux becuase ascii had to yank production early on due to lingering sales despite the high quality of the stick) This one is a bad call on ascii's part though, as well as nintendo's. a keyboard would certainly make PSO and Animal Crossing (one of nintendo's flagship titles) much more enjoyable

Alielle
Dec 17, 2002, 10:16 AM
I'm pretty sure the keyboard doesn't work with Animal Crossing.

I've been kind of upset about this issue, but it seems like it's died down a bit. It's time for another wave of e-mails.

isamu2k3
Dec 17, 2002, 01:43 PM
well....i just use voice chat...me and my buds all have xbox live and pso so all our tv's have diff video settings for diff devices....have the box blazing in the background runnin the demo disc w/a private room in moto gp.......switch to GC and boot up pso.....talk while we play....

at first thought of voice chat on xbox scared me...i thought it would take away some of the fun....but now that ive tried it out for myself....it totally ROX!!!!!

we need a list of ppl that have the access to do this so we all can play together and voice chat.....

i'll start a thread so u can post ur names of ppl that can do what me and my buds do!!

voice chat is gonna OWN~~~!!!

GCN-Maiku
Dec 19, 2002, 08:53 AM
On 2002-12-17 10:43, isamu2k3 wrote:
well....i just use voice chat...me and my buds all have xbox live and pso so all our tv's have diff video settings for diff devices....have the box blazing in the background runnin the demo disc w/a private room in moto gp.......switch to GC and boot up pso.....talk while we play....

That is ingenious, too bad I can't get a XBox, I'm saving up for a new motorized tie rack. (sarcasm- I'd rather have a nice hat, than a Xbox)

harmfulcow
Dec 19, 2002, 06:21 PM
isamu2k3.....shutup

hopesfall27
Dec 19, 2002, 10:00 PM
Too bad I got so ungodly bored of this game that I don't even care if they come out with a keyboard anymore.

Nicoledramon
Dec 20, 2002, 09:35 AM
Then, why are you here?

KouHotaru
Dec 20, 2002, 12:13 PM
If you'd like a keyboard straight out of Japan, shiped with a friendly smile, and have it within a week/week and a half, then give Masamichi Kuge a try:

Dear Sara,

Thank you for coming back again !
I am glad you like Nasha.

I recently sent the keyboard to a client in the US.
The price is

ASCII gamecube keyboard controllers 6800 yen
Tax(5%) 340 yen
------------------------
Sub Total 7140 yen
Shipping to you(EMS) 4000 yen
------------------------
Japanese Yen total 11140 yen
Convert to US$(114.60) US$97.20
Our charge(minimum) US$25.00
------------------------
Grand Total US$122.20

Steep, but it's well in stock in Japan, sent EMS (/fast/and insured), and Masamichi will answer any questions that you may have. And it sure as heck beats camping eBay for one. His website is http://www.crescent-trading.com Enjoy!

PadawanTek
Dec 21, 2002, 06:49 AM
Okay... so the subject title may have been a little misleading, BUT wouldn't it be cool to get the people from Logitech to make a GameCube keyboard? The following are reasons why Logitech should consider making a GameCube keyboard.

Consider the fact that Logitech makes GameCube products (Logitech's steering wheel) and that they make keyboards as well, not to mention wireless keyboards, a GameCube keyboard designed by Logitech would seem to be the best solution for US PSO Eps.1&2 GameCube gamers. Logitech's latest PC keyboards sell for as little as $14.95, and their wireless keyboards sell for as little as $39.95 ( http://www.logitech.com )!

GameCube PSO owners are becoming desperate for a keyboard. http://www.gckeyboardnow.com already has 1200+ petition entries for a US GameCube keyboard, noting auctions for imports from $152 to $285 for the ASCII hybrid. This kind of pricing is outrageous, especially when realizing that the primary purpose of the keyboard is to communicate with other PSO players.

Now, although a solution for a simple PS/2 to GameCube keyboard adapter for under $10 would probably be more cost effective, if a company were to make a keyboard, it should be Logitech for:

1. Their ability to make quality/affordable products
2. Their experience with developing keyboards
3. Their experience with developing GameCube products

Take into consideration the counterpoints of developing a GameCube keyboard. If ANY company were to decide on making a GameCube keyboard, say, at this very moment, it would take months before production finally gets it to shelf. Will there still be a strong PSO user base at the time of it's release? As of now, there is only one online game for GameCube, and only one game that would take advantage of the keyboard. How many units of the keyboard could the company sell with such a limited user base?

With these questions in mind, and our desperate need to have a good/inexpensive keyboard for our GameCube, is it posible to convince Logitech to build us a keyboard for our GameCube PSO?

lockeboy
Dec 21, 2002, 01:17 PM
Nintendo has no plans of releasing a keyboard, I e-mailed them.

Can you say "Horrible financial decision"?

Anyway .. I heard someone say something about KBs being in the US by December or January. We've got one more month to see if he's right..

Vantamiath
Dec 21, 2002, 02:07 PM
Dont go import a keyboard for 20000$...it is the trap nintendo wants you to take. They figure if these crazy PSO players are willing to import a keyboard for this much money, then they will do just about anything to play PSO. (Bad service, high monthly fees, BB problems, not enough shipping)

But then again, Nintendo is out of their mind, so I think the only way to get a KB would be to import. But Nintendo likes to piss off/shock people, (who knew they had so much in common with Sega?) so dont be surprised if they "announce" in a few months a KB.

I was thinking about starting a riot, but its a long way to the Nintendo HQ. Maybe I'll stay put with my Simpsons re-runs and hope this goes the way it should.

Nawms
Dec 21, 2002, 02:19 PM
but i want one soo bad! Is it worth it?

harmfulcow
Dec 21, 2002, 06:08 PM
im real pissed of at nintendo and sega. ive been a diehard fan to them for over half of my short life dammit! need keyboard now!

Abductor
Dec 21, 2002, 11:10 PM
Now here's my latest keyboard question. I have one and can someone tell me what the japanese keys mean? I can't tell what's written on 'em!

BTW I've read a post somewhere can't remember where, not only do nintendo and sega have no plans for a US keyboard, ASCII has discontinued them even to Japanese customers, according to them. Regretfully, I cannot remember where I read that so take it with a grain of salt I guess.

shinokou
Dec 21, 2002, 11:51 PM
BAAAAAHHH!!! Why are keyboards such trouble now!?!?!? I would have NEVER expected something so god damend important and cheap would be missing from my PSO experience when ep. I and II released!!! WHY NO KB?!?!?!? WHYYYYYYYYYY?!?!?!?!?!??!!

Nawms
Dec 22, 2002, 04:24 PM
When I first decided to get PSO for the GC, a keyboard was in the back of my mind. An thing to go along with the game.
But now you wud probley have better luck finding a large replica of a humar.
What is sega trying to do! Ahhhh

2Xtreme
Dec 22, 2002, 05:38 PM
Hey! What is a good site order a keyboard at right now?

Oh, and sorry that my sig was killing the forums yesterday. It was my sloppy HTML skills http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Abductor
Dec 23, 2002, 11:22 PM
On 2002-12-21 20:10, Abductor wrote:
Now here's my latest keyboard question. I have one and can someone tell me what the japanese keys mean? I can't tell what's written on 'em!

BTW I've read a post somewhere can't remember where, not only do nintendo and sega have no plans for a US keyboard, ASCII has discontinued them even to Japanese customers, according to them. Regretfully, I cannot remember where I read that so take it with a grain of salt I guess.

Has anyone seen documentation anywhere as to what the japanese keys do?

lockeboy
Dec 24, 2002, 10:20 PM
I'm going to order a keyboard, but I'm not sure where to get it from. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Jace_100
Dec 25, 2002, 11:54 PM
ok, i have noticed a few very important things

1) The Ascii KB has 2 connections on one is (i assume) for the controller and the other for the KB.
2) The GCN controller has 6 contacts and your average USB KB has 4.
3) I am very Hungry!

SO i am gonna fire up my soldering iron heat up some tombstone and find myself a ground, I'll tell you how it ends up!

if it works you WILL see pics

GCN-Maiku
Dec 26, 2002, 10:48 AM
On 2002-12-25 20:54, Jace_100 wrote:
ok, i have noticed a few very important things

1) The Ascii KB has 2 connections on one is (i assume) for the controller and the other for the KB.
2) The GCN controller has 6 contacts and your average USB KB has 4.
3) I am very Hungry!

SO i am gonna fire up my soldering iron heat up some tombstone and find myself a ground, I'll tell you how it ends up!

if it works you WILL see pics

someone on the GameFAQS boards already tried that, hope you have better luck.

Lankwei seems to be the best place to buy the ASCII

Eve
Dec 27, 2002, 07:49 AM
I found this http://www.lan-kwei.com/gamecubeE/ site,that sells GC Keyboards,im not sure how reliabale they are though.
Apologies if someone posted this link before,i havent been online for a while.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Eve on 2002-12-27 04:50 ]</font>

Vantamiath
Dec 27, 2002, 01:22 PM
To anyone who ordered/got a KB, I got a question.

I ordered my KB last...Wednesday, and I did the cheapest shipping for it to arrive 2-5 days, hoping it would arrive before Xmas. It STILL hasnt arrived yet...I bought it from buyrite.com and it seemed like a pretty professional site...how long should it take? Is this normal?

2Xtreme
Dec 27, 2002, 02:31 PM
Buyright.com! Oh, shit, man! NEVER order from there! My friend's sister ordered Saturn and Nights from them, and the Saturn's internal memory is burned out, and the Nights disc has a big crack! Not a scratch, a crack! What's worse is that they didn't send her that stuff for months until she repeatedly sent them angry emails. And now that she's trying to return her stuff, they are pretending they're not there. This is just one of the many buyright.com horror stories I've heard.

I hope you at least paid with PayPal. If you did, there's a chance you can get your money back. Buyright is on probation with Paypal for screwing so many people, so PayPal usually gives quick refunds to their customers.

According to my sister's friend, the Better Business Burea doesn't really like buyright either.

Vantamiath
Dec 27, 2002, 02:52 PM
Well laddi-fuckin da. This was the only site I found that still had it in stock...as for your story I dunno..my friend ordered his GC from there and got it in the time he paid for.

All I can say is fucj--oh no! I cant even say it anymore!!!

TeK-DEL0REAN
Dec 28, 2002, 07:46 AM
well I broke down and oredered a kb from ebay. 120$. Now I read this thread and KNOW I will regret it. Oh well.

BobMeisterLlama
Dec 29, 2002, 02:00 PM
The KB's on Lan Kwei have controllers in them. Is there any way to just use the keyboard and a seperate controller?

BobMeisterLlama
Dec 29, 2002, 02:02 PM
The KB's on Lan Kwei have controllers in them. Is there any way to just use the keyboard and a seperate controller?

BobMeisterLlama
Dec 29, 2002, 02:03 PM
Sorry about that double post.

elfin
Dec 30, 2002, 05:16 AM
I saw this on numbthumb.net today... Dont know if they are talking about the GCN keyboards... But what could it else be?? Well, here goes:

News: December 28, 2002

Keyboard update: We want to thank those who have been patiently waiting on keyboards. The load of keyboards from our supplier was flagged for customs search therefore causing delays and huge headaches for us among other things. We are finding out over the next day or 2 when our load will finally hit the back door. All who have ordered will be emailed when we do get them and again when it ships. We'd also like to thank those who placed Christmas orders through us, our first real online Xmas season was busy and a lot of fun thanks to you all. Next year we hope to be the premier online importer and reach a lot more of you out there. 2003 is going to be numbthumb / Network Videos breakout year, as we have tons of ideas in the works. Getting back to the here and now of things, we have a great deal going on Ultra 2 modded PS2 systems. Also, if you got a new PS2 for Christmas, you can send it in to us and get the Ultra 2 installed. Open yourself up to the full gaming experience, the Ultra 2 will allow you to play everything!!

Alielle
Dec 30, 2002, 07:28 PM
http://www.japanvideogames.com is taking open preorders for a Jan. 7th shipment.

Seph5172
Dec 31, 2002, 04:50 AM
hmm, if they dont release one by the end of january or feburary, i dun know what ill do, i cant play online yet anyway because of there being no broadband adapters.. Wait a damn second, who made the broadband adapter? they should make a keyboard...

um, NINTENDO did make them right? im just checking http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Seph5172 on 2002-12-31 01:51 ]</font>

TheWiLL
Dec 31, 2002, 02:34 PM
I'm going to give in a get a kb. videogamedepot are the only people I could trust. I'll sit and be patient.

LordCronai
Jan 1, 2003, 09:02 PM
I am not paying $90 for a keyboard, no matter where its from -_-

Sedyne
Jan 2, 2003, 06:10 PM
I only payyed 62 ^_^

Vantamiath
Jan 2, 2003, 11:32 PM
Tis' the trap Nintendo wants you to take--first you let importing a $90 keyboard slide of your back...next thing you know your HL will be $20 a month...and you know what? You wont care--you'll pay the damn thing anyway.

Ness
Jan 3, 2003, 04:19 PM
What the hell happend to all these 3rd party keyboard that were supposed to come out?

KouHotaru
Jan 3, 2003, 07:32 PM
I checked Amazon.co.jp who has them in stock and with a nice price, however they do not ship games/game systems/game hardwear/and adult items outside of Japan. Can't get my keyboard or some hot hot pr0n. Alas. ^-^

cbearfei
Jan 3, 2003, 07:52 PM
My patience is infinite when it comes for something like this to get out. Actually, I just don't have the money and saving up for another game and a few anime dvds but I'll wait for the third party. I'm sure nintendo or sega will back the third party controller once it gets out. BTW, any news of a DC>GC converter on the market? There's a lot of unused DC keyboards now that the DC has gone to the console heaven in the sky, they could use some new life in them since the only games it could play came out. (I think only 1/6 of all the keyboard games made for the DC ever made it to the US.)

MilkManX
Jan 4, 2003, 05:20 PM
This is really lame. I had the import keyboard but its tiny keys annoyed me. I think I am switching to XBOX since the XBOX PSO hits in a month or so and its only 39.99

Vantamiath
Jan 5, 2003, 12:02 AM
I got pissed from waiting/wanting/searching for a KB so I folded and ordered one from ebay for $150 smackers.

Word up.

Rubesahl
Jan 5, 2003, 10:03 AM
On 2003-01-04 14:20, MilkManX wrote:
This is really lame. I had the import keyboard but its tiny keys annoyed me. I think I am switching to XBOX since the XBOX PSO hits in a month or so and its only 39.99

Very good http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif at least it HAS a form of communication @_@

DOAXUG
Jan 5, 2003, 05:47 PM
Hi, getting the first post out of the way.

I ordered mine from http://www.upstategames.com I should get it soon!:)

BaldurElska
Jan 6, 2003, 05:41 PM
On 2002-11-20 21:46, BaldurElska wrote:
Here are my preliminary results/ideas with project: MAKE KB!

*****WARNING - THIS COULD BLOW YOUR HARDWARE - DO NOT ATTEMPT UNLESS YOUR ARE WILLING TO REPLACE OR LIVE WITHOUT!!!!!************************************** *****

dREAMCAST KEYBOARD
white
red
blue
green

gAMECUBE CONTROLLER
white
red
blue
green
yellow

sPLICING CONFIGS AND RESULTS
Since there is one less wire I intially hooked them up one-to-one colorwise leaving the yellow not connected...The result was GC starts up and goes online fine but when you type nothing happens...

Next I switched green to yellow...power light on/off for one second....unplugged...turned GC back on tested second port everything ok....WHEW!

Finally I tried putting green to blue and blue to green with no yellow connection....result same as last one...everything checked out ok after unplugging though.

oVERSIGHT
Being the lazy person i am...i did not replace any of the 12+ screws! on the dreamcast kb but just snapped it together...because of the way the keyboard is made this may have caused it not to type...im not sure but i am going to attempt to go with the initial color to color config with all the screws in just to make sure, but i am kinda thinking this may be to no avail do to the mentioned eprom problem...if so i will examin the ic's next (a PSO'er rarely gives up huh ?:)

cONCLUSION
It seems the GC may have a protection circuit that shuts of the machine if there is a controller problem. (I very much hope so because i really dont want to replace the hardware !:) This may not be so so again I strongly warn **************THIS COULD BLOW UP YOUR GAMECUBE, KEYBOARD, CONTROLLER SO IT IS STRONGLY ADVISED NOT TO TRY UNLESS YOU ARE CONFIDENT IN YOUR ABILITIES OR FOOLISH LIKE ME!************

The GC to USB adapter idea sounds like the next best avenue to me....

TO BE CONTINUED

Here are my @@@UPDATED@@@ results/ideas with project: MAKE KB!

In the last month I have rewired the dreamcast keyboard and used it online with the dreamcast and version 1 with no problems. So thankfully i did not destroy anything but a cheap mario sunshine off-brand controller. Unfortunatley I am still keyboardless and therefore cancelled my HL due to the fact that it is very aggrevating not being able to communicate fully to other players, and there is no servers from other countries.

During the holidays I aquired another gamecube...this one black..and a wireless wavebird controller which is great! I am still interested in trying to make a kb or an adapter for PSO on GC as I do not forsee myself getting on the xbox anytime soon (no broadband connection) and the dreamcast versions are still totally plauged with cheaters/hackers/a-holes. If somebody has any further ideas or pin-outs/specifications/ etc on the game cube i would be more than happy to try again.

This whole keyboard thing is totally messed up IMHO, and I totally agree with the earlier post saying that the hardware makers got us by the balls, and furthermore, this is starting to hurt. Wish there was a console system for the people by the people! LOL

Sanguine_Moon
Jan 7, 2003, 01:56 AM
Has anyone tried to set up a chain of adapters from the GC to a USB, PS/2, or DC keyboard?
Here's an example with some adapters I've found:

GameCube Console >>>* GC to USB (male) >>> USB (female) to Xbox >>> **Xbox to DC <<< DC Keyboard

*= Need 2 GC male ends cord
**= Need 2 Xbox female ends cord

Another idea was:

Computer Keyboard (or DC KB w/ DC to PS/2 adapter) >>> PS/2 to USB(male) >>>* USB (male) to GC** >>> GameCube Console

*= Need 2 Female USB cord (might not be too hard to find)
**= Need 2 Male GC cord.

You could probably just splice 2 controller extensions to get the needed cords (except USB). And from what BaldurElska said it doesn't sound like the GC controllers are too complicated inside (as far as splicing goes at least http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif )

The second idea would be tons cheaper (as long as you already have a computer/DC keyboard) than that 90$ keyboard and you could use a keyboard of your choice. For me all I would need is the USB to GC (19$), 2 controller extensions (8$) and the 2 female ended USB gender converter (8$)for a grand total of 35$!!

Anyone know for sure that it wouldn't work and why?

P.S. If this will work I can post exactly what all u need, like the exact names of everything.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sanguine_Moon on 2003-01-07 00:06 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sanguine_Moon on 2003-01-07 00:07 ]</font>

BaldurElska
Jan 7, 2003, 04:39 AM
i was unaware that there was a gc to usb adapter and if so, has anybody just tried using that adapter with a usb keyboard? Please send me info on where to get this adapter...if nobody peeps up about having tried, I surely will get one just to see...

Glad to see dialog in this matter. Hopefully together we can solve this kb nonsense!

Gartywood
Jan 7, 2003, 05:00 PM
I am 99% sure that The GC to USB adapter takes a GC controller and turns it into USB so you can plug it into your computer. It will not allow you to plug in a usb to your GC.

Kess
Jan 7, 2003, 06:12 PM
Mm.. keyboardy goodness.

I'm waiting for MadCatz's release, although I'm regretting that because all their stuff breaks within days. -sigh- I might have to shell out 100 bucks.

Sanguine_Moon
Jan 7, 2003, 07:09 PM
GartyWood, your correct that the GC to USB adapter is made for plugging into your computer but what I wasn't sure about was if you could splice a couple GC controller extensions into one cords with 2 male ends and plug one end into the GC console and the other into the adapter.
My question is, does the adapter only go one way?

This is the adapter I was talking about:

http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?category=76&products_id=2143&PHPSESSID=8352129b6cf75096fea98cc01b4e9f44

Madcatz keyboard? any ETA on it?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sanguine_Moon on 2003-01-07 16:12 ]</font>

Blue147
Jan 7, 2003, 07:14 PM
sniper rifles are cheper then these keyboards maby we all should get one a go see nintendo of america if u no what i mean lol (that was a joke so none of u stupid people who take things to serious call the cops lol)

BaldurElska
Jan 7, 2003, 08:31 PM
Yeah Blue147, I wouldnt mind taking my last online find (WALS-Mk) and heading over to nintendo myself. The way I see it they are sitting over there laughing their behinds off, saying "we finally got you Sega!" It is sad they chose to do it at the expense of their customers though...

Anyhow, that type of GC to USB adapter is basically one way Sanguine_Moon and wont work unfortunatley. The best I can come up with is a dreamcast controller to playstation adapter followed by a playstation controller to gamecube adapter. I know the ps controller to gc adapter exists....does anybody know if there is a dreamcast controller to ps adapter out there?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BaldurElska on 2003-01-07 17:34 ]</font>

Sanguine_Moon
Jan 7, 2003, 10:33 PM
Hmm that sucks Baldur http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif
Can't find a dc to ps adapter either...
Anyone have any info on that madcatz keyboard?
ETA? or at least somewhere we can see some official news?
And does anyone kno if its at all possible to use those ports on the bottom of the GC? (obviously i dont kno much bout these ports and stuff, just throwing out ideas http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif ) cause i kno for sure theres USB to serial adapter hehe

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sanguine_Moon on 2003-01-07 19:33 ]</font>

BaldurElska
Jan 8, 2003, 02:36 AM
I feel it's time to make a summary here so we can see the un/available options so we can get more focus as to what will and won't work....

VERIFIED HARDWARE:
ASCII brand keyboard
Imported from Asia
(Apparently from Hong Kong)
Controller/keyboard combination
(Two connecters [standard GC controller])
(Controller port 1 on GC for controller)
(Controller port 2 on GC for keyboard)
HYPOTHESIS:PSO GC software looks for KB on controller port 2 so therefore keyboard must be connected to controller port 2 on the gamecube so furthermore plugging any type of keyboard into any port other than port 2 would most likely not work either...

SOLUTIONS:

IMPORT at premium price (yikes! and that's even if you can find a reliable sellor, it's still yikes!)

WAIT for US distribution by nintendo or 3rd party(iffy!)

ADAPT finding an adapter path from DC->GC seems to be only route (if even possible!)

REVERSE using a verfied keyboard/controller unit to replicate the interface from the generic keyboard circuitry to the GC cable (this could be done by someone who owns one of these kb's and is willing to open it up and document the contents in said areas)

I am open to trying all 4 solutions and if i can find a legitemate business 2 order from or be able to get one off the street in Japan from family or friends, i would definately open mine up to try and provide everybody with a cheap, reasonable solution here in the u.s....so please if only one of you elite GC keyboard holders would please help us!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BaldurElska on 2003-01-08 00:01 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BaldurElska on 2003-01-08 00:07 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BaldurElska on 2003-01-08 13:44 ]</font>

harmfulcow
Jan 9, 2003, 08:37 PM
ok guys on the plus side we know someone somewhere is working on a keyboard... i expect we will get 1 sometime within the next 2 months.
Heres Hoping x (crude picture of fingers crossed)

Doug

spardaGC
Jan 9, 2003, 11:57 PM
i type WAY 2 slow need ascii keyboard

Wang_Tang
Jan 10, 2003, 07:06 PM
On 2003-01-07 15:12, Kess wrote:
Mm.. keyboardy goodness.

I'm waiting for MadCatz's release, although I'm regretting that because all their stuff breaks within days. -sigh- I might have to shell out 100 bucks.

i have a madcatz light gun for my dreamcast and it hasnt broken yet! had it since a couple months after dc release and got alot of use out of it back in my HoTD2 days.

but anyway... *leads convo back to kb discussion..*
...need kb! ^_^

Layrinn
Jan 11, 2003, 08:12 PM
Well, I finally have something for you all... I've been working on a PC keyboard adapter for GC PSO for the last month or so. I didn't want to say anything until I was finished and successful.

Here we go!
http://www.pantsofevilgamers.com/kb/

Yes, you read that right... the adapter works.

The good news:
- I've made about a dozen or so to send to my close friends in order for them to help me test the design thoroughly. They should all be receiving them over this coming week. Initial tests indicate that it will work on all but a small number of PS/2 keyboards. The only models that haven't worked with it so far are a cheap generic MS keyboard and my Logitech cordless keyboard.

- The design is cheap to build. Each one costs less than $20 to make. The cost can be brought down to about $15 each if enough parts are ordered at one time to make about 25 units.

- It's a freakin' KEYBOARD!! =D

The bad news...

- Since the device emulates the import keyboard by ASCII, the keys are interpreted as if you were using a japanese keyboard. This means that a few of the punctuation keys don't work like you would expect them to. (from a US kb point of view) In another day or two, there will be an image on our web site showing the key layout. ** 95% of the keys you normally use to type operate correctly! **

- Even though they're not terribly expensive, each device takes a considerable amount of time to assemble. A lot of soldering, wiring, and other manual labor is involved. Because of this, my partener and I will not be able to produce these in any kind of significant quantities. (He's married with child, and I'm in my senior year of college. Free time? What's that?) Right now we're considering several options, including a do-it-yourself kit.

So, err... we're not exactly sure how to go about helping out the rest of our fellow PSO addicts, but there it is. If anyone out there has any suggestions on how to handle the distribution, we'd welcome your comments.

Carry on!

BrokenHope
Jan 12, 2003, 07:38 AM
On 2003-01-07 23:36, BaldurElska wrote:
I feel it's time to make a summary here so we can see the un/available options so we can get more focus as to what will and won't work....

VERIFIED HARDWARE:
ASCII brand keyboard
Imported from Asia
(Apparently from Hong Kong)
Controller/keyboard combination
(Two connecters [standard GC controller])
(Controller port 1 on GC for controller)
(Controller port 2 on GC for keyboard)
HYPOTHESIS:PSO GC software looks for KB on controller port 2 so therefore keyboard must be connected to controller port 2 on the gamecube so furthermore plugging any type of keyboard into any port other than port 2 would most likely not work either...

SOLUTIONS:

IMPORT at premium price (yikes! and that's even if you can find a reliable sellor, it's still yikes!)

WAIT for US distribution by nintendo or 3rd party(iffy!)

ADAPT finding an adapter path from DC->GC seems to be only route (if even possible!)

REVERSE using a verfied keyboard/controller unit to replicate the interface from the generic keyboard circuitry to the GC cable (this could be done by someone who owns one of these kb's and is willing to open it up and document the contents in said areas)

I am open to trying all 4 solutions and if i can find a legitemate business 2 order from or be able to get one off the street in Japan from family or friends, i would definately open mine up to try and provide everybody with a cheap, reasonable solution here in the u.s....so please if only one of you elite GC keyboard holders would please help us!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BaldurElska on 2003-01-08 00:01 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BaldurElska on 2003-01-08 00:07 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BaldurElska on 2003-01-08 13:44 ]</font>

The ASCII keyboard controller accepts input from any port, i have a standard controller in port 1 and the keyboard in ports 2 and 3 with the keyboard input in port 3.

lockeboy
Jan 12, 2003, 10:16 AM
Just an update from me.

I bought a keyboard from Japanvideogames.com .. extremely reliable, and the price wasn't too bad either.

Also, for those of you complaining about the keyboard being on the controller, you can plug a regular controller into the first socket, and the keyboard's plug (its the grey one) into the second socket. That way, the keyboard is seperate from the controller.

Anyway .. for those of you who really want a keyboard .. I'd recommend just ordering one. Either you order one now and splurge a bit on money, or wait a long time for it to come out in America and save some money .. in a way, the extra money is paying for the time you'd have to spend waiting.

Well .. I'm enjoying my keyboard, and I have no regrets at all. Came in great shape, and works perfectly. Oh, and dancing in the lobbies is pretty fun, too. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Zolpner
Jan 12, 2003, 10:24 AM
hmmm, http://www.gckeyboardnow.com/ i beleave this person is trying to make some kind of partition to send to nintendo (although i may be wrong i diddnt read that much)

and also, i have no need for kb as the game is just comming out here (New Zealand (LOTR place))
and the modem addaptor is not comming out at the same time,
soooo im looooooooooooong way away from kb
(because i need PAL compatable 1 http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Zolpner on 2003-01-12 07:27 ]</font>

Alielle
Jan 12, 2003, 11:31 AM
My KB from Japan Video Games is at the post office now, which won't be open until Monday. Curses! But at least I know it's there.

LordCronai
Jan 12, 2003, 05:56 PM
This adapter thing looks great. Do you know how long it will be until I can order one?

Layrinn
Jan 12, 2003, 06:36 PM
On 2003-01-12 14:56, LordCronai wrote:
This adapter thing looks great. Do you know how long it will be until I can order one?

Thank you! The adapter is still in its test phase right now. I have about a dozen units on their way to my close friends who play the game. They will help me thoroughly test the device. I expect the test phase to last at least another week, possibly two.

Hopefully by the time that's done, we'll have somthing figured out for distribution. Right now we're looking at the possibility of a do-it-yourself kit, and we have also been contacted by a few people willing to lend their time and efforts to help us produce the adapters. Our primary goals are to reach as many players as we can and to keep the price as resonable as possible. We will keep our web site updated as the project moves foreward, and I will be sure to post any major announcements here.

In the mean time, hopefully we won't get sued by Nintendo. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Thanks again for your interest!

Eden
Jan 12, 2003, 07:31 PM
I just placed an order at http://www.japanvideogames.com UPS 3 Day Select, they say they are re-stocking on Jan 13 (Tommorow) so I should get it by next week, I will post the results here when I do

BendMeOver
Jan 12, 2003, 07:48 PM
does the PS" have a KBoard?
the reason i ask this is because in game they do a converter that lets you use your playstation controller on your GC it costs £9.99 now if there was a key board for the PS2 would it work?

Alielle
Jan 12, 2003, 08:09 PM
On 2003-01-12 15:36, Layrinn wrote:

Hopefully by the time that's done, we'll have somthing figured out for distribution. Right now we're looking at the possibility of a do-it-yourself kit, and we have also been contacted by a few people willing to lend their time and efforts to help us produce the adapters. Our primary goals are to reach as many players as we can and to keep the price as resonable as possible. We will keep our web site updated as the project moves foreward, and I will be sure to post any major announcements here.

Are the parts pretty readily available (i.e. orderable from Radio Shack or something)? If they are, perhaps you might consider posting the parts list and instructions on your site so you don't have to worry about distribution.

Wang_Tang
Jan 12, 2003, 10:31 PM
On 2003-01-12 17:09, Alielle wrote:

Are the parts pretty readily available (i.e. orderable from Radio Shack or something)? If they are, perhaps you might consider posting the parts list and instructions on your site so you don't have to worry about distribution.

the adaptor contains a chip that layrinn wrote a very compicated program for so not all the parts are readily available O_o

BaldurElska
Jan 12, 2003, 11:55 PM
I would like to declare Layrinn as an ultimate PSO hero, the one who freed the US GC keyboard. The approach he took was really the only solution other than importing at this point. I call for a layrinn reverser rare which the special is reverser! Woohoo.

I also have ordered the Ascii keyboard on January 9 to be exact and recieved a UPS tracking number the next day from japanvideogames.com. The estimated shipping date is Tuesday. I broke down and purchased it for the same reason as Layrinn, and to tell you the truth I am very happy that he beat me to it. Good job man, what you did was understandably not very easy.

I would recommend for all of you out there still needing a keyboard to hold on just a few more weeks as the adapter solution is definately the way to go.

I assure you my high priced, imported, piece-o-_____ keyboard will be stored as a collector item, because ill definately be using the adapter! Didn't they realize i WANT to use my wavebird? And along those lines i would not see it being terribly difficult to use wireless KB in some sort next....

In closing this long winded tribute, I just want to say it's true a PSO'er never gives up, Layrinn should go down as a Real PSO Hero. Also thanks to Sonic Team and Sega for creating this wonderful alter-world, and mostly yay to all you out there still hunting away, you are what makes this game the ultimate.

Never give up! Things are looking better on the homeline front!

Zolpner
Jan 13, 2003, 12:30 AM
I have a question about the KB addaptor,
do you know if it would work with a PAL Gamecube? (Euroupe, NZ, Australia ect setting)

hollowtip
Jan 13, 2003, 01:22 AM
hah, finally someone gets some sense and makes an adapter. I thought this would be the most feasable way to get a cheap keyboard on your GCN's

BaldurElska
Jan 13, 2003, 02:27 AM
On 2003-01-12 21:30, Zolpner wrote:
I have a question about the KB addaptor,
do you know if it would work with a PAL Gamecube? (Euroupe, NZ, Australia ect setting)

I am almost 99 % sure it will work with any gamecube and will suggest and call out for any testing of this situation.

Layrinn
Jan 13, 2003, 03:30 AM
Well, I don't know anyone who has a PAL gamecube to test my device on... But considering that the ASCII keyboard seems to work regardless of region, I would also be nearly certain that the GC controller port hardware is universal.

I have been contacted by one chap in the UK about getting an adapter. However, right now I think he's waiting for the UK release of the game. If things change and he does end up with one of my adapters soon, I'll be sure to let everyone know how it goes.

Thanks for your support.
> Everyone

Zolpner
Jan 13, 2003, 04:19 AM
cool thx Layrinn & BaldurElska
GW congrats ect ect

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Zolpner on 2003-01-15 23:00 ]</font>

Buuyon
Jan 13, 2003, 09:49 AM
ill pay up to like $35 if u can get the adapter sent to me and u do a COD all i need realy is the pieces most of it i can do my self cuz i was thinking of buying a keyboard just for GC and messin with the stuff and adding stuff but u would make life MUCH easyer adn i dun need it to be tested i can test it my self and at this point it doesnt matter so if u can send me one email me at [email protected]

Cedric_Greene
Jan 13, 2003, 08:43 PM
Woohoo first newsletter sent out about adapter:
"Subject:
Welcome to the first official mailing for the Gamecube Keyboard adapter

Date:
Mon, 13 Jan 2003 19:56:52 -0500

Greetings all,

First off, I want to thank all of you on behalf of the two of us for
your
amazing response. In just about 48 hours, we have received over 140
emails
about the project. We knew that word would travel quickly, but it's
still
amazing that so many people from around the world play PSO and have the
same
problem we did.

Because a lot of you asked specific questions, mostly about pricing and
availability, I will be doing a huge update to the FAQ on our webpage.
I am
also planning on implementing a news page so that people can see both
progress on the project and when major page updates occur. This should
happen by late Weds. or early Thurs. of this week. That will save me
some of
the trouble of trying to keep up with the swelling email list, and also
make
info more quickly available to you. Those of you who have expressed
interest
in building kits, doing web work, etc. will be contacted directly to
discuss
options.

I know the big questions are when and how much? Right now, we have
about a
dozen units shipping to testers around the country that should be
arriving
late this week. After the testers run them through the gauntlet, we
will
enter the kit assembly phase. At this point, it seems likely that we
will
have some sort of ordering plan in place by the end of the month,
hopefully
(but no promises) sooner. We're looking at about $25 US maximum per
kit,
with shipping via USPS priority mail for $6 US; this will cover
shipping
within the United States. Orders outside of the US will be dealt with
on a
case by case basis to determine the most cost-effective way to get the
product to you. Our plan is to accept payment through PayPal once the
ordering is available. DO NOT SEND ANY MONEY BEFORE THE ANNOUNCEMENT
THAT
THE KITS ARE AVAILABLE! It will *not* guarantee you an adapter and will
give
us a giant, giant headache. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif We need to get our ordering and
distribution
lined up before anything else gets going. Trust me, we want to get this
to
you as soon as we can.

The kit does require basic soldering skills, screwdriving skills http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif and
the
ability to strip the insulation off of wires. It will also help you a
great
deal to if you can read English. It should take the average person
about 2.5
hours at the most to build one. We cannot sell a completely assembled
unit
because frankly, we don't have the time to make them. Eric is a
full-time
student at Virginia Tech, and I work full-time and have a family.
Luckily, a
good number of people have stepped up to offer their services for
assembly.
We will likely allow anyone who wants to sell an assembled kit to do
so, as
we will only be offering the kit. Hopefully, this will allow people to
get
the kit in the form they want it.

You guys have really reminded us why we started this project, and any
work
we can do to further support for the PSO community is worthwhile to us.
I
will send an announcement to this list when the new FAQ and news page
are
ready. Again, we humbly thank you for your enthusiasm and look forward
to
providing a solution to you to help you further enjoy your PSO
experience.

-Adam Cook"
Man I can't wait to get my hands on one of these! Have to learn how to solder though I guesss http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif The price is awesome guys, can't belive you wouldn't charge atleast $30!

Layrinn
Jan 13, 2003, 11:57 PM
Woo! That's m'boy! I doubt any of you know Adam since he doesn't post here... but I just want to say that I couldn't be doing this without his help. For all of my technical efforts, he has matched me every step of the way with PR, organizational, administrative, and moral support. I couldn't ask for a better partner or a truer friend right now. By the way, Tuesday is his birthday, so wish him a happy one. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

The only thing I'd like to add to his statement is to stress that we are trying to make arrangements with interested individuals to make a finished adapter available through them. What that means is if you want to build it yourself and save a little money, we'll sell you a kit for as cheap as we can. (and still stay in the black, of course http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif) If you're not a technically-inclined type, we will hopefully be able to offer a completed kit for a little extra money. We are still working on the details, so I can't really say how much more it would be... But we do intend to reach as many PSO players as we can, and we're not going to leave anyone out of the loop just 'cause they can't solder.

Thanks again, everyone, for your wonderful support. YOU are the reason we're doing this.

Cedric_Greene
Jan 14, 2003, 12:18 AM
You mean his birthday is the 14th? So is mine, such a coincidence. I'll be (looks at clock)am 23 today.

BaldurElska
Jan 14, 2003, 02:13 AM
Woohoo! Happy Birthday Cedric and Adam! Welcome to PSO World!

To Mr. Cook:thanks for making this adapter possible! Great Job! You guys may have just saved this game. I hope these get out to everyone! Congrats!

My keyboard situation is as follows:
received tracking number from japanvideogames for fedex delivery by today so i should be on ragol tonight!

X (crude finger cross!)

Just received the overpriced import so I'll be on as Buzz or Box head.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BaldurElska on 2003-01-13 23:16 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BaldurElska on 2003-01-14 15:19 ]</font>

Riel
Jan 15, 2003, 02:26 PM
Woohoo....i got mine today Layrinn and it works perfectly so far.I have a Micro Innovation Keyboard,a cheap one they sell at places like Zeller's and Wal-Mart for 15 bucks i think....i'm off to buy another one so i don't have to unplug this one all the time.My friend will lend me another brand to see if it works good as well.So far i only noticed a few typing differences,like when you type "can't" it comes out "can:t" but the keys aren't sticking at all and all the emotes,animations work great.Good stuff:)

BaldurElska
Jan 15, 2003, 05:33 PM
Good to hear these things are working for some! I can:t http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif wait to get mine! The ASCII keytroller thing is just too small and uncomfortable for me. Not to mention the fortune I blew on something I'm never gonna use http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Layrinn
Jan 15, 2003, 06:24 PM
Glad to hear it, Riel! I'm working on getting an image of the key map finished tonight or tomorrow. The reason some of the keys don't seem to work right is because the adapter emulates the ASCII keyboard, and PSO interprets the key press data as if it were coming from a JP region keyboard. There aren't many differences, but some of the punctuation keys are layed out differently as you are finding out. Unfortunately, unless Sega is willing to send me the device ID that tells PSO a US keyboard is being used, it's just something we're gonna have to live with.

FH_PhoenixFlame
Jan 16, 2003, 12:41 AM
My god... there is a god...
http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif!!!!!
yay!!!!!!!!!
u r sooo cooolll....
if I can get one of these things i will LOVE pso NO MATTER HOW STUPID dupers are! i mean cant u also use it with animal crossing? or am i just dumb http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif... i hope u can make it 4 me:-p i can solder but i dont wanna...

llxerollenyce
Jan 16, 2003, 07:30 PM
Ok so is it gonna cost 15.00 for the keyboard and 25.00 for the package? What exactly is soldering (yes this is a dumb question for a 17 year old.) I have an idea but i jus wanna confirm it. Also do you need good toolman skills to do this?

Zolpner
Jan 16, 2003, 11:15 PM
how exactly am I going to get a souldering iron when the time comes...

Souldering is the most basic type of welding, u heat up souldering iron (plug it in) put it on wire then stick soulder there and take iron away

no dont realy need good toolsman skills

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Zolpner on 2003-01-16 20:17 ]</font>

Coran_Horn
Jan 17, 2003, 02:01 AM
I was all excited, especially after meeting you online and finding out it'd be released "soon", but after reading the faq, I realized that this makes me no better off than I was before. I don't have the tools, nor the knowledge of how to do any kind of electronics work, let alone any kind of soldering. I don't really have the money lying around to even buy the kit let alone pay for shipping it to someone and paying them to assemble it for me/pay to rent the proper tools or something along those lines. I figured I'd be able to squeeze the 20+ shipping out of my parents...but I'll be flat broke until my birthday(May) cause I'm a Canadian without a greencard in the US and can't get a job...I guess I'm stuck without a kb still. Oh well, at least some people will be able to get one now.

Of course none of this is you're fault. This is a great thing you're doing for us. Who knows, maybe I will be able to afford one. As it stands though I'm not only lacking construction skills but money as well :/

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Coran_Horn on 2003-01-16 23:10 ]</font>

schnuth
Jan 17, 2003, 01:20 PM
For those of you wanting a ASCII keyboard, videogamedepot.com is expecting a small restock shipment today 1/17. They are limited one per customer, and are priced at $74 which is a bargain compared to what other sites/eBay are charging for these things.

Just thought you'd like a heads up as I already put my order in. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

UPDATE: My order has shipped, woo-hoo! I should have it by next Tuesday.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: schnuth on 2003-01-17 11:36 ]</font>

Kuja2k3
Jan 17, 2003, 10:11 PM
I ordered mine from the depot today also, I hope to get it next week.

Zorya
Jan 17, 2003, 11:49 PM
I just want everyone to know that Layrinn has done a lot, using his engineering knowledge to make this game better for the rest of us. He took it upon himself to do this project; no one asked him to do it.

In my opinion, those of you who still insist on shelling out money to Nintendo for their over-rated keyboard are making a mistake. Nintendo had no intention whatsoever of releasing a keyboard for US players. A month or two ago, I would understand if you wanted to import one, but now, a US PSO player has given you an alternative. Keep in mind that Nintendo currently has no other online games for which its keyboard can be used (and before you all jump on me, I KNOW about online Animal Crossing being in the works).

Do you really want to shell out up to $150 for a tiny little keyboard you'll only use on one game? I've seen the the official Nintendo keyboard; it's only about 2/3 the size of your standard, run-of-the-mill computer keyboard, and that's counting the split controller on the ends.

I am a tester, and Layrinn has also tentatively promoted me to "assembler." Those of you who don't know how to solder may contact me (my e-mail address is in my profile) and I will do my best to assemble the adapter for you WHEN/AFTER YOU HAVE BEEN ENTERED ON THE ORDERING LIST. HOWEVER I may decide to do SOLDERING ONLY, depending on the responses I get and how detailed Layrinn's assembly instructions are. DO NOT E-MAIL ME BEFORE YOU HAVE ORDERED AND PAID LAYRINN & ADAM FOR YOUR ADAPTER.

Blenjar
Jan 18, 2003, 12:00 AM
Are you people still talking about keyboards?

Bull_Mark_One
Jan 18, 2003, 08:01 AM
For all of you who are intimidated by the idea of having to assemble the adaptor, soldering isn't exactly rocket science, with a little practice most anyone can manage acceptable work. soldering irons can be fairly cheap, and are easy to find, Radio Shack, and just about any department store are good places to find one.. 'do it yourself' radio and electronics kits are good sources of practice and for younger folks without an income can be a good way to con ones parents into paying for a soldering iron and solder.. them kits is edumacational dontcha know http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif if you're not too thrilled by the idea of trying to assemble the kb kit without a trial run at something you've never done.. 'sides then you can brag to all yer friends and say.. "lookit what I made" ok mebbe not..

Ian D
Jan 18, 2003, 11:17 PM
I can honestly say soldering is one of the easiest things in the world.

EsperFlame
Jan 19, 2003, 01:53 PM
I just wanna know why he's flaming Nintendo fornot releasinga KB in the US. They didn't release one in Japan either. Nintendo never even made a keyboard and has no plans to make one as the same goes for Sega. ASCII is the company that made the keyboard and chose not to release it in the US. Why not complain to them?

LordCronai
Jan 19, 2003, 04:20 PM
Screw it. I'm sick of waiting. I ordered my keyboard from japanvideogames yesterday.

Zero21XX
Jan 20, 2003, 08:38 AM
heh i got my Keyboard from japanvideogames.com on friday they have fast shipping http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

fyrewyre
Jan 21, 2003, 09:02 AM
Is it me or everytime someone posts something good about an adapter, theres exactly three posts about buying a keyboard? i can get paranoid and say some big company like...oh say ACSII or their mario friends are posting stuff here.

Buuyon
Jan 21, 2003, 12:35 PM
http://www.radioshack.com/category.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F005%5F006%5F002%5F001&Page=1

jus copy paste that its a radio shack site with really cheap soldering pensils what i think would be perfect for it...

Atax
Jan 21, 2003, 10:36 PM
Lik-Sang is now selling the ASCII keyboard for $75USD plus postage.

http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?category=75&products_id=2518

AdamW
Jan 22, 2003, 10:32 AM
Here's some keyboard info for ya: Mine should be arriving tomorrow. Prepare for some serious homo-erotic dancing folks!

ExarKun
Jan 23, 2003, 05:11 PM
Well I'm still a little skeptical here... I'm sitting over here thinking.... mannnnn I need a KB. Then like the 1st day I visted psoworld I see information about the adapter. This just happend to be the day that I decided to go ahead and put the money down and order me a kb. So I said well I'll wait for them to finish the adaptor right. So here it is the 23rd and I'm still undecided over here. I'm thinking ok... 15-30$ for an unassembled kit.... How much for S&H or is that included? 3-15$ How much for a soldering iron? 10-30$ for an soldering iron and like someone said earlier if you don't know how to solder you have to pay someone to assemble it. Now were allready @ 35-50$ (being generous here) for an unassembled kit (not complaining here just stating the price we're all looking at paying)! I figure this ammount from 20$ for the kit, No shipping and handling, 10$ for a soldering iron, 5 dollars for a decent amount of solder. Ok that was all nice and generous right... anything else added on to that and I'm looking at purchasing the ascII keyboard (if I were in Japan lol). But I'm not I'm looking at some of the post here and were talking some ppl seemed to have found the KB priced around 69 (though the cheapest I've seen is 74$) Now most of us will allready have Ps2 KB's available to us without having to go out and purchase one but.... some of us won't. I feel anything added on to this price will be basically the cost of buying a import. Then some of Adam's close friends have allready offered to assemble *some* if not all of the kit. At what extra amount? Can you save me money from assembling myself? How long will it take ME to get it once they're availble? Or should I order it from whomever and get the import? Just a few concerns I have. Not bitchin' here just weighing out all my options. B/c I'm thinking that the adaptors are still not available... I'm also thinking that... "Hey some of these ppl have kb's available now at 74$. I could order it and it'll be here anywhere from 2days to a week." I'm not too confortable with soldering so I'm thinking I'm going 2 send it to a bud to do it for me. I've allready calculated spending about a toltal of say... 35-50$ to "ASSEMBLE" a kit that's not available. But this ascII kb is looking better... and better everyday that I have to go without. Any answer to these questions would .... soothe my nerves in being a little more patient, and helping me decide how I'm going 2 spend my Birthday money.

P.S. after reading 16 pages of posts... I'm also thinking.... "Hey maybe I should buy the X-box ver. for 39.99!" sigh... it's not out... loose all my GC buds (except one or two) hopefully it doesn't support voice chat! B/c I don't want to hear what little 13 year old kids have to say and ppl stammering over there words all unclear and IMO it just wouldn't be as cool as reading it. IMO it would take away from the flavor of the game. How much is the usb adapter going cost for the box? I haven't bought my live communicator yet. Will I be slammed with double fee's once my year is up by sega and Microsoft? Sigh... Sorry this was so long... first post on these boards http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Jace_100
Jan 24, 2003, 03:50 PM
On 2003-01-18 20:17, Ian D wrote:
I can honestly say soldering is one of the easiest things in the world.

Well it depends on what you are soldering, when i got the very first mod chip for the dreamcast and had to solder 22, 35g leads that was frustrating but i was looking at the KB adapter site and that looks like a real easy job

Layrinn
Jan 25, 2003, 04:26 PM
Exar, I understand your point of view. For a lot of people, there will be some additional costs associated with the adapter kit. Some folks will have to buy a new keyboard... some will want to buy the necessary tools for themselves. But with a little planning, assembling the kit shouldn't cost you a dime. So you don't own a soldering iron? Surely you know someone who does. If not, ask your parents to ask their friends. Soldering is a pretty common skill... it shouldn't take too long to find someone who has the proper equipment. While we're talking about the soldering, I would like to say that the kits are not all that difficult to put together. The soldering required in this kit is easier to do than most mod-chip installations. It will take you some time, but just about anyone should be able to handle it.

As for the release time... we know it's taking a while, and we're sorry for that. Adam and I have been extremely busy for the past couple of weeks, and we haven't had much time to devote to the project. We will update our webpage as soon as there are any major developments, so keep watching.

In closing, I'd like to say that I realize my adapter is not a perfect solution to the keyboard problem. Some of you may not even think it's a good one. But it's an alternative to importing the tiny, overpriced ASCII keyboard/controller... and an alternative is something no one else is providing at the time. Thankyou to everyone who has taken the time to write to us, and thanks for your patience. We'll have something for you soon. =)

ExarKun
Jan 27, 2003, 11:29 AM
Well I would like to start off by saying Thank You Layrinn for your direct response to me. =) Actually I do own a soldering Iron and I found a PSO'er who is going 2 assist me in assembling the kit once available. And I am also happy to know that it will be easier than most mod chips. (I had a bad experience with the first mod chips for the PSX. Got it to work… but it eventually went out. I read later that the things over heated and caused more problems for the PSX) I appreciate the efforts that you and Adam have made toward making us all happier PSO'ers. In the future I hope to own your adapter and be a happy PSO'er. Over this past weekend I was shocked to find out that the PS2/Everquest keyboards are coming out for 69.99! (sighs) My last question is: are you trying to keep the kit cost under 20$ with the cost of shipping and handling? If undecided I understand. I hope you guys are successful in your project. It may not be the best option to the AscII keyboard.... but I tell you... It's my number 1 and best option. =) Thank you again for your efforts.

Nawms
Jan 27, 2003, 05:23 PM
some people just type way too much.

MissJester
Jan 28, 2003, 11:16 AM
Just got my keyboard yesterday... does anyone else think that its a Chibi keyboard?

Buuyon
Jan 28, 2003, 12:30 PM
Yes it has to be one of the chibest keyboards in the world.

ExarKun
Jan 28, 2003, 04:00 PM
lol... I agree

apyh
Jan 28, 2003, 04:40 PM
ncsx is taking more preorders for the gc keyboard ($65)

BeatZero
Jan 28, 2003, 09:39 PM
ordered my board today with 3-4 day shipping! woot cant wait!

Coran_Horn
Jan 29, 2003, 02:31 AM
I know I talked to you online about my problems last week Lyrinn, but I've asked around since and I still can't find anyone who has one. I've confirmed that what the one guy has is a welder, and you already told me that won't work. It may be easy, but I've never handled a soldering tool ever, let alone ever seen one. And no one in Texas seems to do repair work of any kind themselves, and thus no one has tools...I'm still looking but I'm not having much success. I used to live next door to a guy who had all kinds of power tools, and probably had the right stuff too, but we didn't know him too well and he has since moved away :/

Atax
Jan 29, 2003, 08:48 AM
Got my ASCII keyboard from lik-sang the other day, very pleased indeed. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Shame I don't have ver 1.1 back yet. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_argh.gif

Oh well, in the mean time I'll play Takt of Wind, with it. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

ExarKun
Jan 29, 2003, 01:11 PM
[quote]I know I talked to you online about my problems last week Lyrinn, but I've asked around since and I still can't find anyone who has one. I've confirmed that what the one guy has is a welder, and you already told me that won't work. It may be easy, but I've never handled a soldering tool ever, let alone ever seen one. And no one in Texas seems to do repair work of any kind themselves, and thus no one has tools...I'm still looking but I'm not having much success. I used to live next door to a guy who had all kinds of power tools, and probably had the right stuff too, but we didn't know him too well and he has since moved away :/

Coran I live in Texas and I'm familiar with Soldering... And I have close buds that are in the military that do soldering and etc. for a living. Maybe we could collaborate! If I could help... It would be no problem from me to help a fellow gamer. Much less it would be even better to help a fellow GC Pso'er. Look me up! ;o)

Seph5172
Jan 29, 2003, 06:58 PM
Hey atax,

I have a question about that, how long did it take you to get that? I just ordered one this morning from them... I'm hoping I'll get it soon, but... How long did it take for you to get it?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Seph5172 on 2003-01-29 15:58 ]</font>

Freak74
Jan 29, 2003, 08:19 PM
I too just purchased the keyboard from http://www.liksang.com, today while at work http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif. I paid the extra money to send it UPS. The only bad thing is I won't be around to get the package next week >_< going away. At least I'll be able to talk trash when I go online next time. ^_^

Seph5172
Jan 29, 2003, 08:50 PM
lol

im using UPS too, and i hope i get it by this weekend.. but thats probably doubtful :

I can usually only play on the weekends and i want to play this weekend with a kb

Atax
Jan 29, 2003, 11:24 PM
On 2003-01-29 15:58, Seph5172 wrote:
Hey atax,

I have a question about that, how long did it take you to get that? I just ordered one this morning from them... I'm hoping I'll get it soon, but... How long did it take for you to get it?

I ordered w/ UPS shipping. Ordered on Wednesday, arrived the following Tuesday.

Damn POS, slow-arsed Australian import customs! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_argh.gif