PDA

View Full Version : Wow, the PS3 cures cancer?

Foxix
Aug 25, 2006, 07:33 PM
Well this (http://gear.ign.com/articles/728/728068p1.html) is certainly interesting news. As much as I want the PS3 to fail I kind of feel bad now ><

I am so confused!!! Save lives or bash Sony? Somebody hold me ><

Inu_Shadi
Aug 25, 2006, 07:57 PM
Pfft you can do that with computers to, there goes sony being themselves again, they are only trying to get it so the PS3 qualifies as a computer so they dont have to pay huge ass taxes each year.

HUnewearl_Meira
Aug 25, 2006, 08:06 PM
I think it's a shame that this will not help Sony survive. Sure, it may boost sales of the console, but it seems to me that those sales will be to people that are concerned with cancer, and not with games. The subsequent increase in sale of games will be trivial at best, and while Folding@home will benefit, I submit that it holds as much potential to harm Sony as it does to help it-- keep in mind that the console costs $150 per unit more to make than it sells for, which means that Sony is relying entirely on licensing from game developers to make money on this thing. Assuming that the PS3 still goes on to fail as hard as we expect it will, then Sony will have either failed to significantly help Folding@home, or, depending on their contract, will in fact have needlessly taken money from the responsible organization. The end result is that Sony is using this as a desperate marketting gimic, and I, for one, am not bothered by berating them for it. Why should Folding@home rely on PS3 sales to get help here? Why go with the PS3 when they can instead do like Seti@home, and go with the PC? Why should they be dealing with the PS3, when only a meager percentage, at best, of the PS3s sold will ever see the internet, when they could more easily develop the software for the PC, and have a possibility of millions more processors working for them, with more powerful processors being added to the list every year? It sounds rather distinctly to me that Sony has not done them a favor by convincing them to use the PS3 as a platform.

AlaskaMan
Aug 25, 2006, 08:15 PM
Im really concerned for that cancer cure... Itll be a lot of help buying the ps3, but it cost way too much. I think they are concerned about cancer and their money. I think they know that the ps3 wont sell so they put that news in the internet to catch the attention of ppl buying the ps3 and saving ppl from cancer. Idk its my thoughts. You can diagree or agree, but I think they really want the ps3 to sell most likely.

Sinue_v2
Aug 25, 2006, 08:33 PM
A cure for Cancer? Riiiight....

I'll believe it when I hear news that Kim-Jong Ill is using the PlayStation 2 Emotion Engine as the guidance chips in his nuclear arsenal.

It's nothing but PR bullshit... Sony couldn't even get their act together long enough to provide a decent HDD, at a decent price, with decent support. Why does anyone believe the PS3 will actually help cure cancer? Whatever happend to those BILLIONS of dollars in charity these cancer societys have donated? Why couldn't they use even a fraction of the money to buy a bunch of badass computers linked up with a program like bonic (http://boinc.berkeley.edu/) to build their own impromptu supercomputers?

All this will accomplish is the selling of a few PS3's to the gullible masses - in the meantime, it will probably do absolutely NOTHING to bring us closer to a cure. A nice sentiment - but nice sentiments are worthless. All that matters is results, and this (I'm afriad) is a waste of time.

BTW: You do realize what this really means right? It means your PS3 can overheat and die - now even when you're not playing it!!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sinue_v2 on 2006-08-25 18:44 ]</font>

DizzyDi
Aug 25, 2006, 08:51 PM
I'm gunna laugh if the PS3 succeeds. All this needless hate its recieving. Its just video game console, either you like it or you don't. People are taking this Sony hate thing a little too far.

Parn
Aug 25, 2006, 09:28 PM
It's like the 1996 elections! Replace Bush with Microsoft, Clinton with Sony, and Perot with Nintendo!

This should be interesting!

Foxix
Aug 25, 2006, 09:41 PM
On 2006-08-25 18:33, Sinue_v2 wrote:
A cure for Cancer? Riiiight....

I'll believe it when I hear news that Kim-Jong Ill is using the PlayStation 2 Emotion Engine as the guidance chips in his nuclear arsenal.

It's nothing but PR bullshit... Sony couldn't even get their act together long enough to provide a decent HDD, at a decent price, with decent support. Why does anyone believe the PS3 will actually help cure cancer? Whatever happend to those BILLIONS of dollars in charity these cancer societys have donated? Why couldn't they use even a fraction of the money to buy a bunch of badass computers linked up with a program like bonic (http://boinc.berkeley.edu/) to build their own impromptu supercomputers?

All this will accomplish is the selling of a few PS3's to the gullible masses - in the meantime, it will probably do absolutely NOTHING to bring us closer to a cure. A nice sentiment - but nice sentiments are worthless. All that matters is results, and this (I'm afriad) is a waste of time.

BTW: You do realize what this really means right? It means your PS3 can overheat and die - now even when you're not playing it!!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sinue_v2 on 2006-08-25 18:44 ]</font>

Does this mean I can continue bashing sony? yay http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Yeah but it seems like its totally optional. That overheating thing is actually the first thing that came to mind while reading the article.

Daikarin
Aug 26, 2006, 03:34 AM
It might HELP cure cancer, it doesn't give you a shield against it. ...Yet.

Akdov
Aug 26, 2006, 07:25 AM
Its just video game consoles either you like it or you don't.

You want to tell that to all the Play Station users who made fun of me because I liked GameCube. I put up with it for a decade now it's Sony's turn.

I appreciate your feelings but it is a lot like saying don't argue about football or Mac and Microsoft people just need an outlet for their frustrations.

DezoPenguin
Aug 26, 2006, 07:35 AM
What's the actual street dates for the PS3 and Wii, anyway? (Or in other words, when can the bashing switch from "The console I like is gonna kick the butt of the console I don't like!" to "People are stupid 'cause they're buying the console I don't like!" and "Nya nya, the console I like is wiping the street with you just like I said!")

Roffkaiser
Aug 26, 2006, 11:06 AM
On 2006-08-25 18:51, DizzyDi wrote:
I'm gunna laugh if the PS3 succeeds. All this needless hate its recieving. Its just video game console, either you like it or you don't. People are taking this Sony hate thing a little too far.

I totally agree with this statement, I mean does it really hurt people to see a company exist? Kill the fanboys, not the company lol.

And maybe now I won't go to hell, because when i get to heaven i will go "Baby, I'm saving lives. What have you done today?"

Solstis
Aug 26, 2006, 11:33 AM
On 2006-08-26 09:06, Roffkaiser wrote:

On 2006-08-25 18:51, DizzyDi wrote:

I totally agree with this statement, I mean does it really hurt people to see a company exist? Kill the fanboys, not the company lol.

And maybe now I won't go to hell, because when i get to heaven i will go "Baby, I'm saving lives. What have you done today?"

Considering Sony's stance on trojan-like protection software, I'd say that Sony being taken down a notch or two would make me happy.

There's a difference between being a fanboy and having an informed opinion, pro or con, about a company.

DizzyDi
Aug 26, 2006, 11:36 AM
I can understand wanting Sony being taken down a notch or two, but constant bashing really don't get you anywhere.

Roffkaiser
Aug 26, 2006, 11:40 AM
Well that is a valid point, but Sony is most likely already taken down a notch or two by the fact that they are expected to lose the majority hold of the market they have had. I respect peoples opinions but to wish for the death of a company that is part of gaming just seems wrong to me. This isn't monopoly, this is video games, buy the system or don't, but i hate it when people start all this console wars BS. Just ignore the Sony or M$ or Nintendo fanboys and you are better off.

AlaskaMan
Aug 26, 2006, 05:55 PM
The fact is that sony doesnt want to be shut down, because the price of the PS3 is so high that if no one buys the ps3 sony's budget will go down.

HUnewearl_Meira
Aug 26, 2006, 09:37 PM
On 2006-08-25 18:33, Sinue_v2 wrote:

That might explain why his missiles haven't been making their marks, mightn't it? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Akdov
Aug 27, 2006, 07:28 AM

So what you're saying is that it is wrong to make fun of company but right to kill anyone who dosn't agree with you?

Look you're right it's just a company so does it really matter what people say?

I guess I might have been a little harsh on Sony I just don't like the company. If I have offended you I am sorry I will try to be more sensitive in future posts.

Roffkaiser
Aug 27, 2006, 08:16 AM
Sensitive....lets not go there. Its not that i care what people say about sony, it is just that they say the same thing over and over and over and over again, gets really boring, and people always think it needs to be said. Newsflash we know PS3 is expensive, we don't need to hear how people won't buy it.

And for the record, fanboys aren't people anymore than zombies.

Zinsian
Aug 30, 2006, 02:33 AM
Lol. This is what they said about the PS2 pre release. Unfortunatley is was never true.

REJ-
Aug 30, 2006, 11:18 PM
The whole "console wars" thing is all shit. If all the companies, except for the "best" one died, then that "best" one would have the opportunity to sit on their ass, and give us any shit they wanted, and then go downhill from there. As long as there's competition, they'll all be forced to keep getting better, and we as gamers are the one's who win.