PDA

View Full Version : Tatoos.

Leviathan
Aug 31, 2006, 06:45 PM
Why do you people get them? I don't get it? They sag when you grow older, the take forever to remove them once you regret them <<if you do.>>

Well why do you do it? Why would you put yourself through pain to get a tatoo? Some are really ugly like the tramp stamp? They're are some kids at my school who have a tatoo, and they aren't even 16 yet!

If you do decide to get one and then you regret it, you have to remove. Well, that could take months even years to get that out, and you could still see it. Talking about the procedure is the easy part, what about the pain? The excrutiating pain of putting on a tatoo, then removing it.

When you get older thats when everything starts going downhill. Your body starts sagging and that "awesome" tatoo you got begins looking awful.
So why would you pay to get a permanent reminder of something you did that seemed cool at the time, but is now a constant reminder of a dumb decision you made. Why? I ask why?

<<Ahh, I'll probably get bashed for this. (v_v)/>>

Allos
Aug 31, 2006, 08:36 PM
You don't have to agree with people getting tatoos (and granted a lot of younger people that get them rush the entire process), but you have to understand that it's not your body and they can do what they want with theirs.

People get tatoos for many reasons. My grandfathers have tatoos on their arms representing the particular corps they belonged to during WWII.

Point is, tatoos can be a representation of who you are, a right of passage in some cultures, or just to respresent what you stand for. Or hell, some people just get them to look cool.

Yeah...

RuneLateralus
Aug 31, 2006, 11:42 PM
Despite the fact I don't have one (yet), I am a fan of them.

I always appreciated the ones that are original or designed for someone specifically. But you do get those generic ones that really don't state anything about the person...or have little or no meaning.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: RuneLateralus on 2006-08-31 21:43 ]</font>

Soinkus
Sep 1, 2006, 12:13 AM
Thje fact that tattoos ARE permanent is a huge issue, and a BIG positive for people that have them.

You can't just up and take it away, so for alot of people, it really symbolizes commitment to whatever they got it for.

Some people have crosses, some people have names of lost loved ones.

Geranted there are people that just don't care, or that get them not thinking, but the majority of people get tattoos that mean something to them.

And the fact that they're permanent, again, symbolizes just how much that means to them, and how proud they are about it.

OneandtheSame
Sep 1, 2006, 08:09 AM
Jeez, does it really piss you off that much? I wouldn't get one myself, but it's a bad idea to go around preaching about it...People might get angry.

Skuda
Sep 1, 2006, 01:38 PM
my older brother got stars on his shoulders...

I have no idea why... but he's not the smartest guy in the world.

If I were ever to get a tatoo, I would have to think long and hard about what it would have to be, and take precious amounts of time designing it.

People who get tatoos for the sake of having them.. well, it doesn't make much sense to me. People who go out to get their tatoos for artistic purposes have my full support.

saturnihilist
Sep 1, 2006, 07:08 PM
Bad example: A freshman as my school got a tattoo on his shoulder of a skull with a hairy scrotum in its mouth. He later changed said sack to a sack of money.

Good example: A friend of mine, who was born in California, had an ocean wave with the words "Remember your roots" tattooed onto his shoulder. It looks professional, and has obvious symbolism.

Now, these examples are objective, but I couldn't find any pictures of any tattoos other than the "tramp stamps" which every other high school girl/ college girl seems to have.

Tattoos were originally a form of art, a way of expressing something to others. As is common in the world of art, however, they were tainted, and came to be worth little more than the $20 you pay to the guy at the stand at the State Fair. There are some truly beautiful ones, and there are some ugly ones. However, there are also beautiful people and ugly people. There are good examples and poor examples of everything, so let's just say: Tattoos exist, some look good, some look bad, some people like them, some people hate them, tattoos can be a form of art, or they can be a waste of money and a mistake.

It's all subjective, so it's useless to debate this.

saturnihilist
Sep 1, 2006, 07:10 PM
^I don't know why I said "objective"; I was typing on auto-pilot.

MadEwokHerd
Sep 1, 2006, 07:50 PM
Here's a good one for the Megadeth/Chris Poland fans: giant block letters that say

"Choose"
"Deth"

It's a joke on some music video where people wore "Choose Life" shirts, and true to my huge devotion to Megadeth

OneandtheSame
Sep 1, 2006, 08:53 PM
On 2006-09-01 17:50, MadEwokHerd wrote:
Here's a good one for the Megadeth/Chris Poland fans: giant block letters that say

"Choose"
"Deth"

It's a joke on some music video where people wore "Choose Life" shirts, and true to my huge devotion to Megadeth

Megadeth is the Demon Spawn of Metallica(my favorite band), so they're ok in my book...http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Daikarin
Sep 2, 2006, 12:02 PM
It's art. Some tatoos can look pretty cool, but it kinda resembles a trend, that wears off with time.

HUnewearl_Meira
Sep 2, 2006, 01:45 PM
Miami Ink on The Learning Channel is a good show to watch on this subject. I recall one episode in particular, where a fellow chose to have a picture of his recently departed cat tatooed on his chest as a memorial. It was a whole family affair.

I've had thoughts in the past of getting a tattoo, but as with many others here, I stumble on the thought of what I would get and where. I've since concluded that should I choose to get a tattoo, it will have to be something to do with my homebrewed RPG, Guardians & Demons, as this is something that I can truely claim as being expressedly my own, and a solid representation of my own creative endeavours. It's something that I've been working with for a long, long time, and I'm not likely to get bored with it. The next stumbling block is that I don't really have a lot of Guardians & Demons artwork, let alone something definitive enough, and looks good enough, to consider having it permanently added to my body.

Dangerous55
Sep 4, 2006, 09:22 PM
I wanted the second amendment somewhere, but thought Hey, I actually like the ENTIRE Constitution. So the Constitution is on my chest.

Not really, but that would be awesome.

oShojino
Sep 5, 2006, 02:55 AM
Well like others have said its a form of art and expression, and the symbolism cannot be matched.. its not like a tshirt or some armband, its with you forever. Even if you get it removed theres usually remnants of what was once there. However like with everything else, tatoos can be done well and horribly. Tatoos are something that definitely require alot of thought before going through with it, as well as looking up a respectable and talented artist. Unfortunately many people, especially younger ones, end up making a hasty decision and getting a cheap tatoo that they often end up regretting.

Lastly, tatoos won't distort as much if you arent a lazy ass that ends up getting fat like 93% of Americans (dont know if you live in America or not though). As long as you're physically active you should have no worries, even when you get older. Also, getting a tatoo where skin doesnt tend to get fat and sag or expand unevenly helps, like the shoulder blade, ankle, around the neck/clavicle or lower pelvic area.