PDA

View Full Version : North America is not synonomous with US!!

McLaughlin
Sep 4, 2006, 11:27 AM
For crying out loud! You can't just refer to all of NA as the States. "Will US and JP be seperate? I hope ST treats the US players the same as JP!" blah blah blah.

For those who haven't noticed, Canada currently resides on the same continent as America, and you can't just amalgomate us all under "US" because we aren't just another State.

It'd be nice if everyone stopped being ignorant to the minority, and referred to our continent as North America instead of US, which I doubt will happen, but come on. We're here to stay.

[/semi-seriousness]

Kyuu
Sep 4, 2006, 11:30 AM
o_0 What's a "Canada"?

Nilot
Sep 4, 2006, 11:31 AM
Haha they have feelings! *waves a klondike bar* just playing I border canada but it dosent really bother me at all

Tankster
Sep 4, 2006, 11:32 AM
On 2006-09-04 09:27, Zeta wrote:
For crying out loud! You can't just refer to all of NA as the States. "Will US and JP be seperate? I hope ST treats the US players the same as JP!" blah blah blah.

For those who haven't noticed, Canada currently resides on the same continent as America, and you can't just amalgomate us all under "US" because we aren't just another State.

It'd be nice if everyone stopped being ignorant to the minority, and referred to our continent as North America instead of US, which I doubt will happen, but come on. We're here to stay.

[/semi-seriousness]

way to stick up for us http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Wubbie
Sep 4, 2006, 11:32 AM
Mexico is in the NA continent too!

I'm American, but I also hate to see when people don't know anything about the Geography of their land (and while I'm at it... The language.)

Minswune
Sep 4, 2006, 11:34 AM
NA onry http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Tankster
Sep 4, 2006, 11:38 AM
On 2006-09-04 09:34, Minswune wrote:
NA onry http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

come again?

Rubesahl
Sep 4, 2006, 11:57 AM
-lol- I think the same would apply to the whole continent. To begin with, the term 'American' was wrongly used O_o American should refer to pretty much everyone in the 'New World'. Due to many historical and political aspects the term American was used to the United States ^_^; Similar phenomenon with UK and EU O_o a lot of people say the UK version when there's EU too -lol- Goes to show the extremely generalizing view most people in the world have. So yeah almost everyone in the world is disconnected from reality >_>;

Minswune
Sep 4, 2006, 11:58 AM
lol, NA = north america, "onry" is making fun of how asians say there L's as R's (things from ffxi ;x)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Minswune on 2006-09-04 09:58 ]</font>

Kazzi
Sep 4, 2006, 12:11 PM
I live in the UK and you dont hear me complaining about being called EU.

parabolee
Sep 4, 2006, 12:18 PM
I hear you dude. ignorance is anoying.

Oh and Canada rules http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

DraginHikari
Sep 4, 2006, 12:20 PM
Um just a thought but isn't the server used by most of North American located in the US anyway?

McLaughlin
Sep 4, 2006, 12:33 PM
That's why I said "stop being ignorant to the minority". You can't just tack us on as an after thought. Canada is its own country, and deserves to be recognized as such.

EtherForce
Sep 4, 2006, 12:35 PM
How bout we just call it 'the west' then?

Eternal255
Sep 4, 2006, 12:36 PM
On 2006-09-04 10:20, DraginHikari wrote:
Um just a thought but isn't the server used by most of North American located in the US anyway?

i believe so

Shiro_Ryuu
Sep 4, 2006, 12:38 PM
CANADA RULES!!

I never been to Canada

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Shiroryuu on 2006-09-04 10:39 ]</font>

PJ
Sep 4, 2006, 12:48 PM
On 2006-09-04 09:32, Wubbie wrote:
I'm American, but I also hate to see when people don't know anything about the Geography of their land (and while I'm at it... The language.)

I was watching Fairly Odd Parents a few days ago, and they were going to Canada, and on the map, Canada was half the size of the US XD

For those of your Geographically challenged, Canada is bigger http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Ffuzzy-Logik
Sep 4, 2006, 01:27 PM
lol, Canada.

I'll call it the US version, and everyone will still know what I'm talking about. Call it the Canadian version, I won't mind.

Political Correctness sucks.

McLaughlin
Sep 4, 2006, 01:47 PM
I call it the North American version. Everyone knows what North America encompasses.

Kichi
Sep 4, 2006, 01:52 PM
I don't believe this has anything to d with PSU. I completely agree...but I have to say, I'm not sure this should be here in the PSU forum...

vitius137
Sep 4, 2006, 01:53 PM
I like saying US version just cuz it's coming to the US slightly earlier than Canada. But you are right, I should say NA version instead.

EDIT: sig changed

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: vitius137 on 2006-09-04 11:56 ]</font>

McLaughlin
Sep 4, 2006, 01:55 PM
It's called the NA version because it comes to North Amercia (as a whole) on the same day (according to several retailers in my area). Or so I was told.

EDIT: Nice XD

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Zeta on 2006-09-04 11:59 ]</font>

Phaze37
Sep 4, 2006, 02:33 PM
Even I call it the US version sometimes. If it wasn't for us being so close to the US we'd probably get screwed with release dates like the UK does, so I'm glad that we get lumped in with the US.

butzopower
Sep 4, 2006, 03:03 PM
Didn't the servers in PSO say: "US: Antares"?

I can only imagine it being the same for PSU.

Also, I think it's more based on where the servers are located. You'd be playing on the US servers (universe) rather than the North American servers.

Maybe the EU servers are located all across Europe?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: butzopower on 2006-09-04 13:05 ]</font>

Cross
Sep 4, 2006, 03:10 PM
I don't think it's worth getting worked up over. It's pretty much assumed in online games that "US" or "America" is synonymous with "Oh, and Canada and Mexico too".

I mean, if you can find me any MMO that's every had seperated US and Canadian servers, I'll eat my words, but I'll also laugh and laugh and laugh at that game.

Saner
Sep 4, 2006, 03:13 PM
sometimes Canada get things at a different date from US so I prefer referring to any release dates and stuff to the nation I live in, specifically. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

DizzyDi
Sep 4, 2006, 03:17 PM
Canadians play video games?

tank1
Sep 4, 2006, 03:18 PM
Go figure.

XredX
Sep 4, 2006, 03:19 PM
On 2006-09-04 12:33, Phaze37 wrote:
Even I call it the US version sometimes. If it wasn't for us being so close to the US we'd probably get screwed with release dates like the UK does, so I'm glad that we get lumped in with the US.

Lol i was thinking the same thing lived apart probably get release datese longer..

Saner
Sep 4, 2006, 03:19 PM
this topic is kind of unnecessary. its best to refer to your own country than say NA, since that's too broad a term.

North America is not a country, so referring to NA instead of your own country is not specific enough since the countries that make up those regions all may have different release dates and situations.

Eclypse
Sep 4, 2006, 03:40 PM
On 2006-09-04 09:27, Zeta wrote:

[/semi-seriousness]

You do realize that when someone says the US they mean the United States and Canada IS NOT part of the United States. If someone said why aren't the NA and JPN servers linked, then that would include Canada, but when the US is specifically said that means the United States, or United States of America which are the same thing.

US/USA = United States or US of America.
North America = US and Canada.

So stop your crying because technically the people that keep saying the US aren't doing anything wrong.

Tycho
Sep 4, 2006, 03:41 PM
d00d, I keep referring to the international servers of Blue Burst as 'BB US', even though I'm European.
Sure, everything outside of Japan and the United States gets neglected, but no need to make a fuss about it. :p

Eclypse
Sep 4, 2006, 03:43 PM
People just need to realize that the US is only the United States. If someone wants to refer to Canada or the out surrounding countries, they normally mention them by name the same as they do anything else.

Rivercrab
Sep 4, 2006, 03:48 PM
I really don't care what they're called since no one's being mean in using 'US' or 'EU'. And this topic kinda belongs in 'Rants' not PSU... >.>;

Tankster
Sep 4, 2006, 03:51 PM
On 2006-09-04 09:58, Minswune wrote:
lol, NA = north america, "onry" is making fun of how asians say there L's as R's (things from ffxi ;x)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Minswune on 2006-09-04 09:58 ]</font>

oh okay http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Tankster
Sep 4, 2006, 03:56 PM
I live in Canada and i sometimes call it the US version but i am just calling it that because thats the server that Canadian players will play on.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Tankster on 2006-09-04 13:57 ]</font>

azjazo
Sep 4, 2006, 04:25 PM
Mexico FTW!!!!

Sev
Sep 4, 2006, 05:33 PM
I'll call it the N/A version from now on if it will make the posts stop...

Please make them stop...

kaseius
Sep 4, 2006, 06:12 PM
From now on, the term "Canadian" is no longer usable, and we shall refer to people from Mexico, Canada, and the United States as "americans", let us be united under one nation as brothers, eating hotdogs, drinking coke, and watching football as one big happy family.

phunk
Sep 4, 2006, 06:14 PM
On 2006-09-04 09:30, Kyuu wrote:
o_0 What's a "Canada"?

Dahilia
Sep 4, 2006, 06:20 PM
On 2006-09-04 13:19, Saner, of all people, wrote:
this topic is kind of unnecessary

McLaughlin
Sep 4, 2006, 06:24 PM
On 2006-09-04 16:12, kaseius wrote:
From now on, the term "Canadian" is no longer usable, and we shall refer to people from Mexico, Canada, and the United States as "americans", let us be united under one nation as brothers, eating hotdogs, drinking coke, and watching football as one big happy family.

But I'm not, and do not wish to be called, American.

I am Canadian! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Ash1ey
Sep 4, 2006, 06:41 PM
On 2006-09-04 16:20, Dahilia wrote:

On 2006-09-04 13:19, Saner, of all people, wrote:
this topic is kind of unnecessary

Miphesto
Sep 4, 2006, 07:05 PM
lmao...what's a canada...

i hate to say it, but the canadian population in this game will be sadly (yeah, right) non existant

NightHour13
Sep 4, 2006, 07:13 PM
What is this, the Canadian Pride forum? Go suck on a moose or something.

Where on earth did this stupid rant come from any way. Your all kidding right? Angry about Canada beeing associated with the United States? Then become a real country and do somthing to make your country look good. All I hear from you people is hocky and maple syrup.

Keyeszx
Sep 4, 2006, 07:43 PM
is it really a big deal i mean so wat ur called US if i wanted to i could say im not in the US im in CA

Eclypse
Sep 4, 2006, 08:21 PM
Nighthour13..........last I checked, Canada was an actual country so what in gods name are you talking about by telling them to become a real country.

Mods should move this topic to offtopic.

saturnihilist
Sep 5, 2006, 01:24 AM
After much debate, the myth of "Canada" has actually been made fact; Canada is a real place, with its own people. A history lesson for the ignorant:

Canada appeared in the 1980s after a small group of people, sick of Reagan, moved north. After domesticating bears and other small rodents, they founded the first permanent town of Canada: New Hampshire. There was a brief struggle with the indigenous people, but the Canadians proved victorious. They selected Florida to be their capital city, "My Heart Will Go On" by Celine Dion as their national anthem, and the cactus as their nation flower/tree/dance. The first official sighting of Canada occured somewhere in 1998, though unofficial sightings had been going on for some time before that; numerous sightings have occured since then. It is safe to say that Canada will be around for some time to come.

Please don't hate me, I love Canadians. This was more of a stab at American ignorance/ST ignorance...somehow.

tank1
Sep 5, 2006, 09:47 AM
Heres a pick showing that Canada isnt in America happy now Zeta?
http://img474.imageshack.us/img474/200/northamericapolb1117ts2.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

KodiaX987
Sep 5, 2006, 12:37 PM
So Canada isn't a real country? It doesn't exist?

The hydroelectric power we sell to the East Coast each winter.

The Cirque du Soleil getting a huge success in Las Vegas.

The softwood trade dispute.

The 24 medals we won at the Winter Olympics.

Steve Nash named most valuable player of the NBA for the second year in a row.

Who did all that? The fairy fucking godmother?

HUnewearl_Meira
Sep 5, 2006, 12:58 PM
Shuri: Let's not forget John Candy, Shania Twain and Jim Carey.

Zelutos
Sep 5, 2006, 07:45 PM
I don't like the US...>_>;;

Blitzkommando
Sep 5, 2006, 10:05 PM
On 2006-09-05 17:45, Zelutos wrote:

Might I question your reasoning for hating over three hundred million people? Really, I would like to hear your reasoning as I have yet to hear anyone give a reasonable reason, ever, for disliking a nation as a whole.

Eclypse
Sep 6, 2006, 07:03 PM
On 2006-09-05 17:45, Zelutos wrote:

That's nice.............and we're supposed to care why?

As the person said above, I think it would be really amusing to hear why you don't like an entire nation. You must be Osama Bin Laden or one of his kids or something because that's a pretty LARGE declaration of dislike.

ShadowDragon28
Sep 7, 2006, 04:16 AM
I love my country, but distrust it's government (mostly the Neo-Cons).

Please don't blame and hate the citizens of the US based on the policies and actions of the "Bush Monarchy", Neo-Cons and their corrupt coperation allies.

Most American have little to do with those "in power" and *do not* like all the mishaps, crimes, and actions of the current governmental administration...

So saying "I hate the US" or "I don't like the US" is as lame and ignorant IMO; as the many of the idiots that are in power right now are fubar-ing things in the high echelons of government , and foreign relations.

Those few persons in-ppwer here in the US are NOT listening to the people of the US. They are via the media, feeding the Nation: lies, propaganda, and trying to revise history and practically conquer and occupy other countries for Oil, land, money, and more power.

Dislike the current idiots running the US government, yes that's fine, but disliking the whole nation of people is just dumb IMO. We *are* voting for better and more honest representatives. We are trying to do *something*, which his hard when the wealthy and powerful elite don't really listen to everyone else.... -__-

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ShadowDragon28 on 2006-09-07 02:19 ]</font>

Saiffy
Sep 7, 2006, 10:01 AM
I don't like the way the US is shaped

It's such a weirdly shaped country

Well, assuming Zel meant the people is the easiest thing to do...!

Neith
Sep 7, 2006, 10:13 AM
On 2006-09-04 10:11, Kazzi wrote:
I live in the UK and you dont hear me complaining about being called EU.

Heh, in agreement, though it does remind me of something that happens every time I meet an American on holiday http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif :

Similar situations arise with smaller concentrations of people. I get called a Geordie a lot, because Middlesbrough happens to be vaguely near Newcastle. Even though it's a good hour or more's drive from where Middlesbrough is, people (particularly Americans actually, though Ive known Germans and the French to make the same mistake) still call me a Geordie. Kinda annoying, but you can't do much about it. Apparently, people from where I am are Smoggies http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif (get wif probably toxic air)

US= United States, yah. USA= United States of America = North America.

Canada's a whole different country, so I don't even see why people would get confused at all http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

KodiaX987
Sep 7, 2006, 10:35 AM
On 2006-09-07 08:13, UrikoBB3 wrote:

Canada's a whole different country, so I don't even see why people would get confused at all http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

Guess what: according to an Ipsos-Reid survey, 25% of middle-aged Americans believe Canada is just another state, and a full 35% of young Americans share that line of thought.

(But then, 13% of Americans believe their form of government is a constitutional monarchy.)

Solstis
Sep 7, 2006, 10:46 AM
Wait, Canada isn't just another state?

Mind boggling!

Well, I have a hard time remembering how old I am, so I'm sure that forgetting about Canada is no biggie in comparison. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

OdinTyler
Sep 7, 2006, 10:53 AM
1. North America consists of the continental (48) states of the United States, Hawaii, Alaska, Puerto Rico, & various other islands under US domain. It also consists of Canada. That's the legal border definition.

2. Canada is moreso owned by England & France as there are predominant influences in basically every way of life there from language & culture to faces on money & rulership. I am not picking on Canada, this is a fact. England does seem to have a sort of 'rulership' over Canada.

3. It is a common belief that Canada is a part of the US. Having travelled over the border, it does feel like part of the US. That is, til you see the English-inspired double-decker buses. Further looking around, you notice alot more that separates it. Canada IS a separate country, people!

4. I think part of the confusion stems from centuries ago, during exploration. Columbus was credited with 'discovering' America, tho he never actually touched the continental US. That's a whole other topic. Anyway, due to Columbus's 'failure', this New World was named for another explorer, Amerigo Vespucci. Since a significant period was spent on exploring, colonizing, etc this area, the name America seems to have just been put upon these lands. This last part is conjecture, but, is more than likely. Just playing Devil's Advocate here.

5. Both the US & Canada have offered each other alot in terms of culture. Though I am an American, I can appreciate at least some of what Canada has to offer. True, it has cold weather there at times, but, at least the weather is more regular than where I live. Sometimes, you just never know! Also, the best maple syrup comes from Canada. This comparison can go on & on, but, there are benefits to Canada being associated with the US as well. We didn't exactly take kindly to England running our country & perhaps, associations with the US will prevent Canada from completely ending up where we were, over 200 years ago.

Saiffy
Sep 7, 2006, 12:48 PM
Canada is a seperate country. It isn't owned by England, much less France. France lost wars over here, and English people were never able to make French speak english, so, the influence just stayed.

Then England basically abandoned Canada, since colonies were not as profitable as they once were. I can't remember exactly when Canada was, abandoned, as it were. But I do know the Constitution Act of 1867 was what formally seperated Canada as it's own dominion.

Then in 1982, the Canada Act was signed by British Parliment, completely seperating he UK from Canada.

To say Canada is moreso owned by England or France, is to say the US is, moreso owned by England. We both seperated from them, you did by force, we did....not by force. I know you didn't literally mean England owns Canada, but, in the sense that it was used, I could say England owns the US, as well.

Solstis
Sep 7, 2006, 01:02 PM
England was "running" our country because it owned it. The whole revolution was because England was establishing monopolies and whatnot, and the rich fat cats of the colonies got upset. England, according to Saiffy, dumped Canada because of money.

Money, money, money.

tank1
Sep 7, 2006, 01:18 PM
It wasnt so much that Canada and other colonies werent profitable it was more to do with the fact that Briatains economy was decimated during WW2 and was non existent towards the end. Britain had to put what little resources it could muster to repair and rebuild and when countries decided they didnt want to be part of the Empire (such as India first) Britain lacked the manpower and resources to properly resist such movements.
Especially since during WW2 around two thirds of Britains forces where Auxilaries drawn from colonies aslo the fact that Britain was becoming sick of continued war and the politicians in Britain started to recognise that Britain couldnt hope to match the newly risen America and U.S.S.R.

Feelmirath
Sep 7, 2006, 01:50 PM
On 2006-09-07 08:13, UrikoBB3 wrote:
Similar situations arise with smaller concentrations of people. I get called a Geordie a lot, because Middlesbrough happens to be vaguely near Newcastle. Even though it's a good hour or more's drive from where Middlesbrough is, people (particularly Americans actually, though Ive known Germans and the French to make the same mistake) still call me a Geordie. Kinda annoying, but you can't do much about it. Apparently, people from where I am are Smoggies http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif (get wif probably toxic air)

Not half as bad as being "sent to Coventry" every second of your breathing life http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Gib special derogatory term for a Coventrian XD

KodiaX987
Sep 7, 2006, 02:01 PM
On 2006-09-07 10:48, Saiffy wrote:
Canada is a seperate country. It isn't owned by England, much less France. France lost wars over here, and English people were never able to make French speak english, so, the influence just stayed.

Then England basically abandoned Canada, since colonies were not as profitable as they once were. I can't remember exactly when Canada was, abandoned, as it were. But I do know the Constitution Act of 1867 was what formally seperated Canada as it's own dominion.

Then in 1982, the Canada Act was signed by British Parliment, completely seperating he UK from Canada.

To say Canada is moreso owned by England or France, is to say the US is, moreso owned by England. We both seperated from them, you did by force, we did....not by force. I know you didn't literally mean England owns Canada, but, in the sense that it was used, I could say England owns the US, as well.

Actually, there is still some form of (small) ownership coming from England. We're still a constitutional monarchy (under Our Majesty The Queen), and the Governor General is appointed as representant of the Queen. Formally, all laws have to be approved by the Governor General before they are put into effect.

McLaughlin
Sep 7, 2006, 09:15 PM
But as far back as I can remember, she has yet to "vito" a Law (though she does hold the power to do so).