PDA

View Full Version : Eyebrow piercing question...good lord this is REALLY off top

Ziggy-san
Nov 3, 2002, 11:38 AM
I've wanted to get my eyebrow pierced for a while now, and my mom will let me do it, given that I've throughly reasearched it. I've heard from a few people that there's a nerve in the eyebrow, and if that gets damaged, your whole face could go numb.

I guess what I'm asking is, is this true? And, if so, what do you think the chances are of hitting that nerve? My friend in band class (a senior) just got his permit and everything, so all I have to do is tell him, and he'll order the "materials" and do it for me.

So basically, are there any risks as to the actual piercing process? I don't think I need to worry about allergic reactions to the metal or anything like that...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ziggy-san on 2002-11-03 08:39 ]</font>

pixelate
Nov 3, 2002, 03:11 PM
You have to worry about your body rejecting it, and eyebrow piercings have the highest chance of rejection.

Ziggy-san
Nov 3, 2002, 03:49 PM
On 2002-11-03 12:11, pixelate wrote:
You have to worry about your body rejecting it, and eyebrow piercings have the highest chance of rejection.

...rejection? Elaborate, please.

pixelate
Nov 3, 2002, 04:01 PM
Rejection being not healing, poor healing, pusy, and whatnot.

MoNoMaTe_MoNkEy
Nov 3, 2002, 04:16 PM
The body also might kill all the cells around the piercing and that wouldnt be...pretty... i wouldn't get it pierced... its not too safe.

neko-chan
Nov 3, 2002, 06:25 PM
All the informations you need can be provided by a professional piercer. I wouldn't accept anyone but a professional with many years of experience on his shoulders, a clean shop/office/whatever where to operate and clean tools.

It's not just about the "operation": you need to know how to care of your piercing, especially during the first few weeks when, as pixelate said, you may experience rejection or infection problems.

In general, external piercings need a lot of care. Internal piercings (tongue) demand less attention and they are less exposed to infection.

Ziggy-san
Nov 3, 2002, 09:26 PM
Well, here's the deal.

I got my left ear pierced twice, both on the lobe. Both healed fine, because I did everything they told me to. There would be a few instances where it would get infected and tender for one or two days, then just go back to normal. Now they've both been pretty stable for a few months now. That's something minor, since there's no vital nerves there.

I was just told that there was a possibility of your whole face going numb if you got youe eyebrow pierced, and the piercing was just a little off. I really want to get this done, but I don't want to sacrifice all the feeling in my face for the sake of fashion...

Can anyone provide me with some kind of website that has everything I need. Searching for "eyebrow piercing faq" on google didn't really help :

pixelate
Nov 3, 2002, 09:51 PM
"RISKS:- There is a nerve in the edge of the face but it is not in the eyebrow so nerve damage is not an issue unless of course the piercer places it way too deep, very far to the edge of the face or the client wants a piercing done close to the nose bridge and even then - the nerve is deep and runs into the nasal passage therefore the likelihood of hitting it would be minimal..

There is also a muscle that runs around the actual eyebrow and if that is damaged or cut through with a deep piercing it could lead to problems. As with any piercing there is always the chance that someone will do something stupid and cause a major problem, this is the importance of seeking a professional piercer.

The risk of infection is increased with the eyebrow piercing through it being pulled and fluff entering the site during your sleep. This can be avoided by sleeping on the other side, taping just the edge of the ring down during your sleep and then cleaning it well upon waking up, making sure that nothing sticks to the ring.

Touching the piercing is probably the worst thing for it and people just can't resist that fiddle while reading a book or walking down the street. Do resist the temptation to touch and turn your piercing unless you are cleaning it. If you get anything, fluff, germs whatever into it then you can loose the piercing. (I had one client who got hydraulic fluid into his at work and had a major problem and he had to remove the ring instantly.)

Rejection is the next largest risk this occur mainly if the piercing is done too shallow or poorly placed - a straight piercing has all the weight of the ring on the top of the piercing. As the skin is soft it will tear slowly down and eventually migrate right out. Barbells put in as first jewelry are also more likely to tear out as if they are caught, they rip the new tissue and will be rejected much more easily. At Body pleasure we will not put a bar in first as it is not as safe as the ring. The angle spreads the weight across the length and helps to prevent this from happening.

Some eyebrow piercing will migrate no matter what you do - it could be infection, fluff, being turned too much, being slept on - there will be something that causes it and if your piercing is rejecting you need to identify what the problem is and either stop it or remove the ring.

If you have a major problem and the skin goes red right across the length of the piercing then it is almost doomed and should probably be removed.- applying olive oil to the skin across the top can help but care should be taken not to get it into the piercing."

Abaddon
Nov 3, 2002, 10:07 PM
be careful man...someone my brother knew got an eyebrow ring done and nearly died from it....

BlackRose
Nov 4, 2002, 10:22 AM
My advice would be to NOT get it done by someone who just got his license. This is your face we're talking about here. Whatever you do, read up on it, and good luck.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BlackRose on 2002-11-04 07:24 ]</font>

Ziggy-san
Nov 4, 2002, 05:19 PM
On 2002-11-04 07:22, BlackRose wrote:
My advice would be to NOT get it done by someone who just got his license. This is your face we're talking about here. Whatever you do, read up on it, and good luck.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BlackRose on 2002-11-04 07:24 ]</font>

Hmm...good point...

I've actually decided I'm prolly going to check out this one tatoo/piercing place in Ledgewood and aks them plenty of time in advance...I'm in no hurry really...just as long as I know it's safe...but what am I doing? I got homework to do. Thank-q for you help, everyone! ^^;;

googles
Nov 4, 2002, 08:48 PM
ive been wanting to get that done too...