PDA

View Full Version : August NPD US hardware & software sales numbers

Ether
Sep 8, 2006, 12:21 AM
As usual, numbers that come out early on will be rounded. We may get exact numbers later tonight. Until then...

August - US hardware #s:

NDS ~ 278,000
PS2 ~ 262,000
360 ~ 204,000
GBA ~ 156,000
PSP ~ 146,000
NGC ~ 41,000
XBX ~ 9,000

The order of the systems remained the same this month. PS2 was the only console to see a sales increase though, of about 20,000. All other consoles saw decreases in sales (with the DS dropping by about 100K).

Notable software #s (rounded):

1. PS2 - Madden NFL 07 ~ 885,000
2. 360 - Madden NFL 07 ~ 477,000
3. 360 - Dead Rising ~ 337,000
4. XBX - Madden NFL 07 ~ 253,000
5. PS2 - NCAA Football 07 ~ 160,000
6. PS2 - Madden NFL 07 Hall of Fame Edition ~ 127,000
7. PS2 - Final Fantasy VII: Dirge of Cerberus ~ 200,000
8. NDS - New Super Mario Bros. ~ 179,000
9. PS2 - Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories ~ 102,000
10. 360 - Madden NFL 07 Hall of Fame Edition ~ 92,000
NDS - Nintendogs (3 versions combined) ~ 85,000
NDS - Brain Age: Train Your Brain in Minutes a Day ~ 74,000
360 - Ninety-Nine Nights ~ 74,000
NDS - Big Brain Academy ~ 73,000
PS2 - Naruto: Ultimate Ninja ~ 73,000
360 - NCAA Football 07 ~ 73,000
PS2 - Guitar Hero bundle ~ 72,000
PSP - Madden NFL 07 ~ 58,000
NDS - Mario Kart DS ~ 57,000
NGC - Madden NFL 07 ~ 50,000
PSP - Tekken: Dark Resurrection ~ 49,000
NDS - Animal Crossing: Wild World ~ 45,000
GBA - Pokemon Emerald ~ 43,000
PSP - Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth - 26,596

Note that THQ's major 360 title Saint's Row will show up in next month's sales numbers. It actually sold 989 copies in August according to the report, but that's only because some stores broke the game's street date.

Update

Market Share by Publisher

1 Electronic Arts 38%
2 Nintendo of America 10%
3 Capcom USA 6%
4 THQ (Corp) 6%
5 Take 2 Interactive (Corp) 5%
6 Activision (Corp) 5%
7 Square Enix Inc (Corp) 4%
8 Sony (Corp) 4%
9 Ubisoft 3%
10 Namco 2%

Firocket1690
Sep 8, 2006, 12:34 AM
.. source?

and this is in my landfill because? >o

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Sep 8, 2006, 02:30 AM
Japan sold about 12 XBOX's last week, and maybe 100 X360's.

Ether
Sep 8, 2006, 02:36 AM
Let me ask you all a question.

Upon seeing these numbers, CONSOLE numbers (not handhelds), why do you still think that the Wii is going to beat the PS3?

Let's go over a few things. I am not trying to troll, I am trying to get actual insight as to why you believe this. This is going to be a post with fact in it (if you can find something that is not fact, please point it out). If you can debate me with factual information, I welcome it. Otherwise, don't bother.

The PS2 has completely, undebatebly dominated the home console market. It has picked up where the PS1 left off, complete and total domination. Saleswise, no other console can (or has) even come close to it.

The PS2 has remained one of the most expensive consoles of the last generation, with Sony refusing to cut the price on the system nearly as often as Nintendo or Microsoft has on theirs.

It is also the least powerful of the three systems. It has the disadvantage of coming with only two controller ports, and multiplayer games are few and far between (limited to their SOCOMs, Maddens, etc).

Despite Nintendo's constant price-slashing and 3-in-one game bundles, the GameCube has pretty much floundered against the PS2 in total sales and installed userbase.

With all of these things going against the PS2 (high price, old tech, limited multiplay viability), it still owns the market.

Now, the PS3 is on the horizon. It is the most expensive. In a twist never seen, it will be the most powerful system on the market (the PS1 and PS2 were both weaker than their competitors, the N64 and GC/XBox respectively -- however due to the CD storage, it can be argued that the PS1 was superior for 2d than the N64).

With the huge wave of momentum from the PS1, PS2, and the massive third party support already shown (and yet to be shown), what reasons do you have personally that Nintendo or Microsoft will be able to take the home console throne?

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Sep 8, 2006, 02:42 AM
You could play Spiderman 2 GC from the comfort of your toilet with wireless Platinum Wavebird as the commercial has proven.

Throne taken, and only one person per throne.

Plunger plumbers with butt stomp attacks is just extra toppings on the pie, guy.

Firocket1690
Sep 8, 2006, 04:00 AM
PS2 sold due to third party support, and a HUEG LIEK XBXO library of games. Oh, and it was around a year longer than the other two.

With the increasing pricetag, people don't want to develop for the PS3. Those that do, would charge more, increasing the price further for consumers.
Out of the hueg batch of cell processors being made, only about 10-30% have 7 or 8 working cores. Then again, hell if I know why they're using such technology onto a graphics processor, when it blongs in the CPU. Either way, it's overkill.

Nurnurnur....

Wii. Every console goes back one generation, but Wii's got a Virtual Console. 20 years of gaming history. At a price. Everybody's already talking about the motion sensor and whatever, so ehh, all's well there. Warioware sounds 30% more fun suddenly. Might be my fangirlism, might not be, but I kinda agree with Nintendo logic. Graphics don't need to be pushed further - interaction does. +1 for innovation.
Oh, and the Wii gets a second vote from me for the sole reason of Duck Hunt+Motion Sensor. n.n

More on the Wii? 'kay.
IMO, Nintendo gave up on the cube around.. mid "05. From that point on, I assume they moved most development teams to Wii, and DS. The cube has gotten almost no decent games for any of 06. Evidence of this goes to it's 27 launch titles. 10+ of which are first party.

Vibrating wireless controller o_O;

... ahh, fuck. debate later, I'm getting tired. I sleep now.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Firocket1690 on 2006-09-08 02:01 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Firocket1690 on 2006-09-08 02:02 ]</font>

Ether
Sep 8, 2006, 04:12 AM
History of the PS name isn't really that long, so it's actually quite pointless to point to "history" to back this up. The whole game industry doesn't even have very many true generations, and its history of gaming itself isn't really that long.

Rather than talking about the history of gaming, which is non-existant, it would make much more sense to talk about this from the perspective of an economist, because economy has been studied for hundreds of years, and whether or not anyone wants to hear it, there actual laws of economics that are true.

The laws of supply and demand are just that, they are laws. Just like gravity, the laws of supply and demand will remain true at all times. You will not sell the same amount of cheeseburgers at a price of $15 as you would if you sold them for $5. Even gasoline, one of the most inelastic things on this planet suffers from sales declines when prices are too high. People will travel less, drive one car instead of four, etc etc etc. It all adds up to fewer sales because of the laws of supply and demand.

The game industry is not inelastic, meaning it is affected by this price effect. However, one thing that the gaming industry does have going for it is that it is still growing slightly. Each generation sees a slight increase over the previous generation, so that will help the sales of more expensive consoles more than it would if the industry wasn't growing. Either way, the growth of the industry isn't outpacing the pricing in this case, so regardless, it will be virtually impossible for the PS3 to move the units that the PS1 and PS2 did.

The fact is that prices do alienate a certain amount of people. There are people who will not pay $600 for a home console, but would pay $400. There are people who won't pay more than $150 or $100 as well. There are people who would pay $5000.

Along that line, think about when the majority of consoles are moved in a systems lifecycle. The peak of sales is usually between the second and third price cuts. The initial sales are never where the big bucks are made or the units are moved for a successful console. Most people didn't pay $300 for a PS2 or PS1. Well over half of that audience that the PS name has garnered have never paid over $200 for their console.

This is very long-winded, so I'll just say the main point again and then leave it. High price does lower demand for products. ALL products. It doesn't matter what market it is. There are going to be a TON of people who will not be able to/will not want to buy a $500-$600 console with games that will possibly be more than $60 a pop.

To think that the PS3 will maintain the sales of the PS2 and PS1 isn't really reasonable. Another thing to think about is this. 100 million PS2s at an average price of $200 is $20,000,000,000 of revenue. 100 million PS3s at an average price of $400 (that's $200 of price cuts, I'm being VERY generous) is $40,000,000,000. Where is the 20 BILLION dollars of extra revenue going to come from? If that money was there in the first place, it would have been spent. The gaming industry can't possibly support a DOUBLE of revenue in a single generation. It's not going to happen.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Sep 8, 2006, 04:39 AM
Random history.

PS2 2000 $300
PS2 2001 $250
PS2 2002 $200
PS2 2003 $180
PS2 2004 $150
PS2 2006 $130

DC 2000-2001 $150-180
DC 2000-01 Marvel Capcom 2 $30

XBOX 2003 $200
XBOX 2003 Marvel Capcom 2 $300-400

Years/prices probably from that random ambiguous d00d's word source ^ there possibly, accurate to one Spacely's Sprocket over the moon.

Grand Slam Breakfast $1.99 90's
Grand Slam Breakfast $7.99 2006

Licorice $0.05, 5 for a quarter, a steal of a deal when you buy in bulk and not save. More Ex: $10 each, 3 for $30.

Parking meter
1 minute $0.05
2 minutes $0.10
10 minutes $0.25

Costco bananas $0.99 per bunch
Supermarket $0.99/lb

Skuda
Sep 8, 2006, 04:48 AM
Developers don't want to go through the frustration of dealing with the multi-processor coding. It's too difficult a system to program games for, compared to the 360. Not to mention Dev kit fees, and microsoft's new development program coming up.

3rd parties may be more interested in Wii development because, the Devkits are so in-expensive, a company would consider it free.

the PS3 in NA will not do well. So says the gamers. So says the Industry.

SpikeOtacon
Sep 8, 2006, 05:28 AM
Wii is Cheap, companies and consumers like Cheap.

PS3 does not print money. End of discussion.

saturnihilist
Sep 8, 2006, 06:42 AM
Statistics:

Yes=4%
No=5%
C=19%

Clearly

Luis
Sep 11, 2006, 07:38 AM
On 2006-09-08 00:36, Ether wrote:

The PS2 has remained one of the most expensive consoles of the last generation, with Sony refusing to cut the price on the system nearly as often as Nintendo or Microsoft has on theirs.

I bought the PS2 when it was just lauched at 250$ + Tax, 250$ its ok compared to 600$!!!

Budgets got their limit and 600$ for a console its way too much IMO, not matter if its great, good or bad but i wont spend that amount on a system console even if i got the 600$ for it.

trypticon
Sep 11, 2006, 11:16 AM
Where is the DS Lite in your numbers for August?

T0m
Sep 11, 2006, 01:05 PM
Remember that economy isn't an exact science. The laws of supply and demand will stay true, but especially the demand part is hard to predict. It relies on the behaviour of large group of people, and we all know that in general, people are stupid http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif. Someone even wrote a very big book over this, making "people are stupid" rule number one of Magic.
I'm exaggerating there, but it's true nonetheless that it's hard to predict what will be a hit, and what not.

However,

Dana wrote:

So ultimately, I can't justify it. $600 is a lot of money, especially when I can get what--for me at least--will be a very similar experience for $400. I would like to own a PS3, and I hope that the price drops soon so I can consider it. But until then, this Official PlayStation Magazine editor will have to join the dark side.

This excerpt was taken from Dana's blog (http://opm.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=7344653&publicUserId=5380375).
When even an Official PlayStation Magazine editor is openly criticizing the PS3's release price, then I can only think that the PS3 will not have an easy start of its lifecycle.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: T0m on 2006-09-11 11:06 ]</font>

WiLDFiRe
Sep 11, 2006, 02:35 PM
PS2 was backwards compatable with Playsation.
PS2 was a DVD player, came out when DVD was just starting to catch on and cost just as much as a DVD player at the time. DVD players didn't play Playstation games nor Playstation 2 games.

PS2 also had Metal Gear Solid 2, FFX and a load of other mainstream popular games. As long as the games that sell to the masses keep coming out on PS3 (FF, GTA, MGS, Madden etc.) it will do just fine. Just don't expect it to to dominate like PS2 did, because as much as Sony wants push Bluerays it's improvements over DVD pale in comparison to what DVD had over VHS.

PJ
Sep 11, 2006, 03:27 PM
See, this is the PS3's problem

For the same price, I can buy 2 Wii's, or maybe an XB360 and a Wii, and then some.

2 Wii's, and I'd still have over $100 I think, if I'm spending the same price as I would a PS3. I just don't see how $600+ is even close to reasonable.

Solstis
Sep 11, 2006, 03:35 PM
Sony will sell more consoles, but Ninento will probably be the company making all the profit out of this. They have the knack.

Alisha
Sep 11, 2006, 06:38 PM
On 2006-09-11 13:27, PJ wrote:

For the same price, I can buy 2 Wii's, or maybe an XB360 and a Wii, and then some.

2 Wii's, and I'd still have over $100 I think, if I'm spending the same price as I would a PS3. I just don't see how $600+ is even close to reasonable.

so what? ps3 could cost $1000 and i would still buy it for the games alone. it's reasonable because the games. unless of course your one of those fps players that likes to stroke they're penis.

T0m
Sep 11, 2006, 06:57 PM
unless of course your one of those fps players that likes to stroke they're penis.
lol

But honestly, did that belong here? Is there even a proven relation between fps's and players with a liking to stroking that thing?
Read my previous post (http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=118637&forum=9&start=0&18#14), where I quoted someone who doesn't even have such an appendix, and still she thinks the PS3's price is a bit much.

(added a link for all those lazy readers out there http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif )

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: T0m on 2006-09-11 17:00 ]</font>

Luis
Sep 14, 2006, 01:13 PM
On 2006-09-11 16:38, Alisha wrote:

On 2006-09-11 13:27, PJ wrote:

so what? ps3 could cost $1000 and i would still buy it for the games alone. it's reasonable because the games. unless of course your one of those fps players that likes to stroke they're penis.

What if you add to the ps3 a 200 GB Hard Drive, an Internal Router, a Extra LCD for portable ocassions, a 8 Hours Battery, plus internal speakers for the portable ocassions, a photo printer and camera, or just everything you want to imagine, but the botton of the line is that with those features the price is going to increase and simply most of the people wouldnt like to afford it.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Luis on 2006-09-14 11:14 ]</font>

Alisha
Sep 14, 2006, 09:47 PM
you cant convince me not to want a ps3 because the bottom line is i want it for the games and nothing else. blue ray can kiss my ass i rent movies maybee twice a year.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Alisha on 2006-09-14 19:55 ]</font>

T0m
Sep 15, 2006, 02:11 AM
Oh, but I don't think anyone in this topic was trying to convince you.
More like expressing dismay about the PS3's price, or predicting the machine won't be a huge succes like the PS2.

I don't think anyone is arguing that the PS3 won't have great games http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif If it's going to be the home of the majority of RPG's again, then I'll end up with one too, eventually.

Skett
Sep 15, 2006, 03:33 AM
Wow, sales chart thread turning into a next-gen console debate? K... might as well join in.

There is no two ways about it: Sony isn't going to do as well this generation. Microsoft debuted with a year advantage, a strong online plan, solid support, and a lower price. Nintendo's coming with a mainstream-focused console with a new controller, tons of downloadable games, a very unexpensive price, and possibly their best launch ever.

Not that I'm not counting PS3 out. It's sure to be a great console, but maybe only the equivelent of Xbox or possibly GameCube. Support just isn't as strong as Sony's previous consoles and recent news have been very unfavorable. PS3 could be better and I hate that Sony isn't taking the competition more seriously.

Personally, though I hate the price and will be waiting for price drop (it's just too expensive for a game console), MGS4 and Resistance will keep my wanting one.

therealAERO
Sep 15, 2006, 04:19 AM
lol too bad PS3 is delayed in Europe(loss of sales till March) Only 100,000 units in Japan, and 400,000 in US. hmmm...Wii will ship 4 million units at launch...I wonder who will sell more...

Basically you can't sell what you don't have. So yeah...PS3 is going down

Alisha
Sep 20, 2006, 07:22 PM
On 2006-09-15 01:33, Skett wrote:
Wow, sales chart thread turning into a next-gen console debate? K... might as well join in.

There is no two ways about it: Sony isn't going to do as well this generation. Microsoft debuted with a year advantage, a strong online plan, solid support, and a lower price. Nintendo's coming with a mainstream-focused console with a new controller, tons of downloadable games, a very unexpensive price, and possibly their best launch ever.

Not that I'm not counting PS3 out. It's sure to be a great console, but maybe only the equivelent of Xbox or possibly GameCube. Support just isn't as strong as Sony's previous consoles and recent news have been very unfavorable. PS3 could be better and I hate that Sony isn't taking the competition more seriously.

Personally, though I hate the price and will be waiting for price drop (it's just too expensive for a game console), MGS4 and Resistance will keep my wanting one.

your forgetting something. theres still a relatively large chunk of people that dont like the type of games that typically appear on xbox.