PDA

View Full Version : PC vs the Consoles

leblancdiaz
Sep 9, 2006, 09:45 PM
Well forgive me if this topic / forum post has already been made but this is starting to get on my nerves.

Oh well here I begin <3.

What do you prefer?

Hmm I can see this is going to be one of those rants and raves posts anyways so here I go you can start the flaming when your done reading.

Right know I can say I'm at a 50 / 50 split. Depending the time period I may be leaner on either PC or console.

The console fan boys say you need $3000 + for a pc to play a pc games. That’s true but, the first question that comes to mind is how much of mommy and daddies money did you use to buy that pc because anyone can't afford that type of computer without working at a decent job making $20+ .

The PC fan boys claim that console are a thing of the past and there is no detail or anything yada yada. That may be true but there are some games out there that are meant for console I give you Final Fantasy as an example.

The problem is with PC gaming is that at a time period everything seems to get boring for me because there isn't anything new and improving out and the stuff that I get into everyone either disbands or doesn't play it anymore.

I can be contradicting myself as I type this because I did the unbelievable I worked in the Service Industry worked a lot of hours was suppose to buy a car instead but decided to wait another year and bought a $3000 dollar computer instead.

Since I’ve ordered it, I had trouble with it had to send it for repairs within the first week and haven’t been able to use it for about a month. Trust me I have been doing the inquiries and some of you will be saying that I got jacked; not really, I can go into more detail for those of you that are interested but that’s another story.

Know you're wandering what type of gamer I am, it's like I say, I don't know how many times I will say this; I will play anything except sports and racing.

That said and done it doesn't mean I won't play them but when the time comes I kick ass in them. The main reason is, I need to do more stuff than just going around in a circle or scoring a goal. I need to see vehicles being blown up, limbs being torn, blood smeared over the walls the gorier the better. Hurray for twisted games the ones that make you think and games that you can’t talk out of.

Another question that comes to mind is how old are you? And why are you bashing us? Well to answer that I'm 20, I'm Canadian and I'm sick and tired of going to any forms on Gamefaqs and other sites and hearing the same 4 god dam topics:

1) What's better game 1 or game 2?
2) Should I buy this game or that one?
3) What are the system requirements?
4) How do I cheat / How do I unlock this?

For the first forum it's a matter of opinion you shouldn't be biased and make a judgement until you played both.

For the second forum it's your money do whatever you want with it, worse case scenario rent the god dam thing.

For forum 3 are you to stupid to flip the box around and look for the big highlighted box that says "SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS!!!!”

For the fourth forum this is an annoyance I can't go into any game what so ever anymore without someone making this forum that can't spell for ****.

That is what the spell check is for.

Know I know for a fact, I'm not the best speller in the world, but if you're going to flame, insult do whatever you want, have a big cake walk in Time Square for that matter. Make sure it's intelligent and don't use L337 text speak and please spell the ****ing words.

This is just my two cents anyways,

Saiffy
Sep 9, 2006, 09:51 PM
Didn't read it all.

If you have the movey, a PC can always own a console. You can use controllers from all the other consoles, plus constantly upgrade.

Not all games are made for PC, though. But, not all games are made for consoles either.

It's personal preference. I prefer to sit at a couch or whatever, plus I don't have money to upgrade PC. My ass gets sore sitting at this computer, so I can't sit here and play games for hours.

Meh

leblancdiaz
Sep 9, 2006, 09:57 PM
yeah sometimes its better to have a little of both instead of having $4000 worth of games for everything and not have the time to play any at all D: I've got games over the years that are collecting dust on my dvd racks that I haven't played for years just bought them just for the hell of it.

KodiaX987
Sep 9, 2006, 10:19 PM
You're trying to put PC and console games in separate baskets and it doesn't quite work that way. It's not like a bunch of corporations devoted their time to making PC games and the rest went with the consoles.

Rather than make a huge-ass rant about GameFAQs, I'll rather go for a column approach:

PC

Pros:
Easily customizable.
Can do other useful things aside from pure gaming.
Keyboard and mouse give games more leeway when it comes to controls.
Able to last a long time even without upgrades - up to 5 years and more.
Apprentice developers can quickly and easily create their own homebrew games.

Cons:
Game isn't guaranteed to work with your configuration.
Forced to upgrade more or less each year to keep up with the requirements of new games that come out.
Hacking and cheating online is remarkably easy.
Restricted to only one or two people on a single machine.
Graphics cards alone often cost as much as a brand new console.

BOTTOM LINE: The PC is for the person who needs a multipurpose machine and favors intense single-player gaming sessions (as in, one person per machine.) The PC gamer sacrifices some stability and variety of games for usefulness, versatility and longevity.

CONSOLE

Pros:
Developers have a common platform on which to make games almost guaranteed to be stable and glitchless.
Portable hardware, easy to transport elsewhere.
Relatively inexpensive.
Allows for parties of upwards of 4 players.
Ability to bring saved games and characters to someone else's console.

Cons:
Very difficult to create mods for games.
Defective hardware is hard to replace. If the console is no longer in production, then your entire array of games becomes dust collector.
Problems with exclusivity contracts often forces players to buy several different consoles to play all the games they want to play.
Controller tends to limit the possibilities of controls. Complex games are forced to deal with tricky button combos.

BOTTOM LINE: Consoles are for the gamers who do it the old school way: a bunch of people in front of the TV and going at it split-screen. Console games don't need installation or configuration: simply pop in the CD and play.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: KodiaX987 on 2006-09-09 20:25 ]</font>

leblancdiaz
Sep 9, 2006, 11:07 PM
yep columns are a great addon but I rather type it out. Maybe it's who I am.

Sinue_v2
Sep 10, 2006, 12:00 AM
PC's will always be better than consoles if for only the simple fact that given time, PC's will envelop all consoles through emulation.

Solstis
Sep 10, 2006, 12:05 PM
One thing PCs do better is multiplayer. People are allowed to host their own servers on their own machines for many games (legally), allowing absurd numbers of people to play at once. I can't even imagine how a 40 person game would work on Call of Duty 2 (XBOX360), but it's relatively lagless on the PC.

Games tend to last longer on the PC, too. I mean, there's about a million mods out there for Oblivion, wheras you mus pay for most of the ones on the XBOX. Also, I could probably go out and play Starcraft online and find opponents (probably all jerks by now).

At the same time, I love being able to just pop in a cd and play. I prefer racing on consoles, but the PC is my home for FPS, RPGS, and etc. I'm not sure why people think that Final Fantasy is the best RPG series out there, when the PC has had greats like Baldur's Gate, The Elder Scrolls, Arcanum (<3), and a bajillion others. It's almost cute, really.

And, don't get me started on how most strategy games won't work on the Consoles. I am not playing Supreme Commander with a joypad.

Ah, also, fighting games tend to be much more enjoyable on the consoles. Since I have a computer already, it won't cost me much to get it up to speed. If I had extra cash though, I'd definitely splurge on the Wii. Wee.

hollowtip
Sep 11, 2006, 06:33 PM
One thing PCs do better is multiplayer. People are allowed to host their own servers on their own machines for many games (legally), allowing absurd numbers of people to play at once. I can't even imagine how a 40 person game would work on Call of Duty 2 (XBOX360), but it's relatively lagless on the PC.

Servers that hold these amounts of people are sponsored by companies that host T1-T3 servers, or people pay to rent one. Joe Shmoe can't create a server with on his residential comcast account with 300 kb/s downstream and 80 upstream and have lagless gaming sessions with >10 people with that type of bandwith.

If you're specifically talking about lanning, yeah you're right, but it's a huge pain in the ass to set everything up, and I'd say more than 90% of the total gaming population (PC and Console) wouldn't know how to configure an 8 person lanning event. Factor in the server being dedicated and you have an expensive project on your hands.

And I wouldn't say all multiplayer gaming plays better on a PC. Massive online games, FPS, and text based games (such as earth 2025) do but I would argue that sports and fighting games generally don't.

But the hardware differences that most people think causes how each genre performs on a specific platform is a neglible cause. Gamers and software developers have created barriers that create niche genres that cater towards the PC or console markets.

With each console generation, the genre playability is going to be a lot more skewed because of technological advancements (in hardware but moreso the software side), and intern, consoles and PC's will become more and more similar.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: hollowtip on 2006-09-11 16:34 ]</font>

hollowtip
Sep 11, 2006, 06:40 PM
On 2006-09-09 22:00, Sinue_v2 wrote:
PC's will always be better than consoles if for only the simple fact that given time, PC's will envelop all consoles through emulation.

But consoles have the ability to run an OS (Ex. PS2 Linux and Dreamcast's Windows CE) as well, even though legal measures may prevent homebrewers from doing so.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: hollowtip on 2006-09-11 16:42 ]</font>

DezoPenguin
Sep 11, 2006, 10:21 PM
On 2006-09-11 16:33, hollowtip wrote:

But the hardware differences that most people think causes how each genre performs on a specific platform is a neglible cause. Gamers and software developers have created barriers that create niche genres that cater towards the PC or console markets

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: hollowtip on 2006-09-11 16:34 ]</font>

Quoted for truth. And because it's something that most people miss out on. Market expectations have caused most of the differences between PC and console gaming, not the hardware specs that most people like to debate when these debates come up.

MadEwokHerd
Sep 11, 2006, 10:30 PM
One huge plus I find from consoles:bigger screens, and I can be farther away from the screen and not get headaches as fast.
I prefer consoles to PC because I've been raised on console games. Some PC games are fun, but consoles are cheaper for me so I can't always play PC due to the fact that I have a limited source of income.
I just wish that people would stop bitching that they need a mouse and keyboard to play console shooters. No you don't. You need skill in the game. You just aren't as good as you say or think you are. If I can adjust to PC shooters, then PCers can adjust to consoles.

Nixia
Sep 11, 2006, 11:14 PM
On 2006-09-09 19:45, leblancdiaz wrote:
The PC fan boys claim that console are a thing of the past and there is no detail or anything yada yada. That may be true but there are some games out there that are meant for console I give you Final Fantasy as an example.

I've played a few Final Fantasy titles on my computer and had no problem.

Solstis
Sep 12, 2006, 12:21 AM
Oh my, I would much rather play a fighting game or sports game on a console. Especially on multiplayer. It would be painful on a computer.

Gaming clans, sponsored by members and regular public members are pretty common. Easy Going Gamers and Black Hats are two Call of Duty (UO & 2) clans that run their own servers, and have been doing so for a while. Joe Schmo can't run a giant server, but Joe Schmo in a clan can help one run.

Oh, and FPS games on consoles generally require less accuracy. For example, the Halos have auto-aim features, and many other console FPS games do. It's also a lot of easier to master the use of the gamepad, though it lacks the same accuracy.

Both PC Gaming and Console gaming have their positives and negatives. I just prefer the PC.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Solstis on 2006-09-11 22:24 ]</font>

leblancdiaz
Sep 12, 2006, 12:59 PM
Wow thanks for the input and dare I say it could this be the console wars of 2001 all over again D:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: leblancdiaz on 2006-09-12 11:00 ]</font>

HUnewearl_Meira
Sep 12, 2006, 01:57 PM
On 2006-09-11 20:30, MadEwokHerd wrote:
I just wish that people would stop bitching that they need a mouse and keyboard to play console shooters. No you don't. You need skill in the game. You just aren't as good as you say or think you are. If I can adjust to PC shooters, then PCers can adjust to consoles.

Need? No, obviously not. A keyboard and mouse is nevertheless, far more natural for the FPS style. An analog stick just can't offer the stability and accuracy of a mouse, as needed for an FPS. That's just one of the strengths of the PC-- FPS games work out far better for it. It really doesn't have so much to do with skill in terms of the game. Regardless of how well you understand the game's tactics and mechanics, if you go from a configuration that offers you tremendous accuracy and the advantage of having more of the controls available to you concurrently, to a configuration that limits you to your thumbs and forefingers and dramatically less ability to point the gun precisely where you want it in a minimum of movements, then you're going to see a sharp decent in ability. There are just some things that work far better on a mouse and keyboard than with a traditional controller (though I can see the Wii changing this).

You also wouldn't want to play an RTS on a console, either. It just doesn't work. I would cite Starcraft for the Nintendo64 as an excellent example of this issue-- 4-way split-screen for STARCRAFT? There is just NOTHING about that concept that works!

At the same time though, as others have pointed out, some games just don't work as well on a PC. PSO is a good example of a game that becomes terrible awkward when you're brought to use standard PC control devices.

Blitzkommando
Sep 12, 2006, 03:50 PM
Here are the reasons I am finding PC gaming increasingly more attractive to console gaming:

One of the primary reasons is innovation. While innovation does occur on consoles, it often finds itself happening first in the PC world. Examples are the video graphics accelerator, joy sticks, dedicated sound processing, and today's new addition is dedicated physics processing. While I won't have a PPU card for a while, I see it as a logical progression of what is happening in games today. It might be in the form of a second graphics card that would dedicate itself to physics calculations, or it could be from a company like Ageia, either way I see it happening as physics become more and more complex and demanding on the CPU. On the flip side, I see multi-core architecture (another PC first) as being another answer to complex real world physics and AI. I find playing around with physics elements just as important and fun as interacting with the AI, as often times the two overlap. Half-Life 2 is a prime example, and one that I very regularly play even nearing three years of release.

Another is the PC is a more engrossing experience for me. Sitting on the couch in front of what needs to be a gigantic television is fine and all that, but a smaller, much higher resolution monitor and speakers that are practically touching me makes the experience far more 'real'. I can actually see the details without squinting and leaning forward. I can phyically FEEL the vibrations from the woofer under my desk. My gaming room? A pseudo 3D sound system (it's one of those 'virtual surround' systems), a 48" projection television circa 2000 that is definitely not HD, and an old couch circa 1983-5. It's not comfortable, the quality is iffy at best, and the sound lacks any punch. I'm not wanting to spend hundreds, and realistically several thousand dollars just so I can game in the other room when I already have a comfy chair, great sound system, and a monitor that is crisp, clear, and is large enough to allow full engrossment with my vision without my eyes having to scroll across an entire wall like a television.

One of the biggest reasons is control. Playing shooters on consoles is like racing a Lamborghini with a Gremlin. It's not designed for it and is severely outclassed. Analog sticks are great for racing, fighting, adventuring (although not necessarily), and flight simulators. However, strategy games, shooters, simulators and an increasing number of adventure games have far more in depth and accurate controls with a keyboard and mouse combination. I would also like to say the reason I hate console shooters is because after playing years on PC, when I try to play those games the controls are so inaccurate and sluggish I simply can't get my brain to slow down that much to play. I have a similar problem playing Super Smash Bros. on the Nintendo 64. It is just so slow compared to Melee that my brain is already several steps ahead before the controls allow me to do what I was thinking a good second or more ago. That and I frankly find auto-aim as a joke and way to make games easier to make up for the inherent inaccuracy and sluggishness of the console controls. As for playing games that aren't suited for a keyboard and mouse, I have a controller for that.

I do enjoy console games, but I find myself drawn to PC because of an immense library, plenty of classics that can still run on my PC today that were running back on Windows 95, and genres that I find myself drawn towards: first person shooters, strategy games of all types, simulators, racing, and a healthy dose of adventure games and roll playing games.

Oh, and one more reason that I absolutely love gaming on the PC: third party content. Not only do many games have third party content, many companies ENCOURAGE people to make that content. Companies like Valve, Epic, and even Electronic Arts and Microsoft have their fair share of addon content provided legally, and encouraged, from individual users and development teams. Heck, in the case of Valve they've even hired people that made content. Some of this content is utter trash and junk, other bits of content are absoultely top quality, like Azure Sheep, Scientist Hunt, Scientist Slaughterhouse, Garry's Mod, Dystopia, among hundreds and thousands of other mods to hundreds of games. I essentially get half of my games for free because they are free to the public, made by other gamers who wanted to go the extra step and make something for themselves and in turn the community.

The final reason I really like PC games is that nothing is set. What I mean is, content can be added and patches and fixes made that made it past the checks during production or that popped up after production. Companies are often releasing addition maps, characters, even whole storylines, for free as patch downloads. Sure things like the Xbox Live do that as well, but memory cards can only hold so much (seeing that the harddrive was nixed for 360) and in the case of Live you have to pay for these updates. PC I just need an internet connection and away I go patching, updating, and adding as I want.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Norvekh on 2006-09-12 13:52 ]</font>