PDA

View Full Version : Dial Up not "Officially Supported" but should work.

xenokai
Sep 11, 2006, 06:26 PM
I got flamed many many times for asking about dial up stuff and prob will after this post -_-

But anyway i went directly to Clumsyorchid and asked if the PC version would work he tells me he will email Sega about it. 4 days pass and he emails me this response.

So I asked around on dial up, the answer I received is that the game will not 'officially' support dial up. Personally, I think the game will function but there will be no customer support for dial up users and the game may have issues since no one has tested the game under dial up.

So officially, any response will point to no, but the game won't specifically stop you from playing under the dial up service."

So with this response kinda indicated They just didn't wanna go threw testing on broadband and then on dial up. So this post is for the other people on dial up wondering. I'm sure i will post back at release to see how well it actually plays on dial up before i flop down the cash.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: xenokai on 2006-09-11 16:27 ]</font>

princejake2
Sep 11, 2006, 06:27 PM
Most PC online games can operate with dial-up. Granted, not well, but most still do have support.

Polly
Sep 11, 2006, 06:27 PM
Christ...

Dhylec
Sep 11, 2006, 06:36 PM
Isn't that reply the same as many that you have seen here or elsewhere?

Dahilia
Sep 11, 2006, 06:37 PM
I think RAM issues may be more of a problem than connection speed. The only thing you'll "suffer" from is long patch times and having to take a bit longer to connect.

It's not like it's streaming graphics or anything.

GaijinPUnch
Sep 11, 2006, 06:38 PM
I'm in Hawaii..noticeably closer than most to the servers, and I find it very laggy. Latency is the real issue here,but the packets are definitely not light, where as PSO was designed for dialup.

VioletSkye
Sep 11, 2006, 06:38 PM
I think this ground has been covered numerous times already:
Topic #1: PSU work on dial up? (http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=109831&forum=20)

Topic #2: PSU on PC will be Dial Up compatible!! yes!!! (http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=110069&forum=20)

Topic #3:Anyone getting the japan beta? could you try dial up for us? (http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=110640&forum=20)

Topic #4: People in the JP PSU Beta Please.... (http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=110978&forum=20)

Topic #5: (Official) Question's for PSU Beta tester's...... (Post your question's here) (http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=110984&forum=20[/url)

Topic #6: Verdict on dial-up and PSU? yes or no? (http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=111231&forum=20)

Topic #7: Another dial-up request...... sorry (http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=111307&forum=20)

Topic #8: Didnt ask about dial up in the Takao Miyoshi Interview =( (http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=112425&forum=20)

Topic #9: PSU not Dial-Up compatible? Im gonna cry =( (http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=116829&forum=14)

Topic #10: PS2 premire disk work on dial up? (http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=117423&forum=20)

Topic #11: Question for importers..... (You're reading it!) (http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=118054&forum=20)

xenokai
Sep 11, 2006, 06:49 PM
Oh GaijinPUnch? so your currently on dial up and play the imported PSU?

Tekershee
Sep 11, 2006, 06:57 PM
I don't see why everyone is still so concerned about this. When I first got BB, it was only barely just twice as fast as 56k. If you look at it now, the extra 5kb/s download is nothing.

Will the server go "Oh noes, his internet is slow, let's kick him off!"?

Alexandrious1
Sep 11, 2006, 07:08 PM
Dude, how many times you gonna keep making the same thread till your finally satisfied?

The answer is all the same, it was even given to you, here are your choices.

A. Move to a place where you can get broadband of any kind.

B. If your not old enough to, may as well just play story mode and be done with it, mmos have moved on ahead of dial up, your better off playing single player games till you are old enough to move out.

Dont mean to be harsh man but seriously, this is ridiculous, youve had the answer battered against your skull several times yet you still persist! My god.

VioletSkye
Sep 11, 2006, 07:11 PM
Once the US servers are running, we will have a better idea of what to expect. The servers won't kick him off for not meeting a specific speed, but the main issue is whether or not the gameplay will be enjoyable considering the obvious lag he will experience. Will the latency issue improve playing on US servers, quite possibly/probably. Will it be a big enough improvement so that gameplay is at least acceptable? We won't know until it's released.

As many of us have already said, we will try the NA version of the game on dialup and post our results so that others can decide if it's worth it. Bare in mind that Dialup connection quality varies hugely even among the same speed ranges. One persons 52K connection may have much lower latency than another person's 52K connection. Also keep in mind not all modems are created equally (whether they be internal or external which is preferred.)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VioletSkye on 2006-09-11 17:11 ]</font>

xenokai
Sep 11, 2006, 09:20 PM
On 2006-09-11 17:11, VioletSkye wrote:
Once the US servers are running, we will have a better idea of what to expect. The servers won't kick him off for not meeting a specific speed, but the main issue is whether or not the gameplay will be enjoyable considering the obvious lag he will experience. Will the latency issue improve playing on US servers, quite possibly/probably. Will it be a big enough improvement so that gameplay is at least acceptable? We won't know until it's released.

As many of us have already said, we will try the NA version of the game on dialup and post our results so that others can decide if it's worth it. Bare in mind that Dialup connection quality varies hugely even among the same speed ranges. One persons 52K connection may have much lower latency than another person's 52K connection. Also keep in mind not all modems are created equally (whether they be internal or external which is preferred.)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VioletSkye on 2006-09-11 17:11 ]</font>
Thanks and to tell ya the truth not many said they would try it for us dial up people. Thank's Most people on here like to be a ass's like Alexandrious1 about my dial up threads even if im not asking about it or not (this post was to give us dial up players info)not to ask about if it works. My dial up gets on at around 44k-46.6k 90% of the time.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: xenokai on 2006-09-11 19:24 ]</font>

GaijinPUnch
Sep 11, 2006, 09:40 PM
On 2006-09-11 16:49, xenokai wrote:
Oh GaijinPUnch? so your currently on dial up and play the imported PSU?

no, I'm not on dialup. Just saying, w/ poor latency, even w/ broadband, I notice the lag. My point was the game is not designed for dial-up, like PSO was at it's core.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: GaijinPUnch on 2006-09-11 22:34 ]</font>

xenokai
Sep 11, 2006, 09:54 PM
Ah i see what ya mean.

Alexandrious1
Sep 11, 2006, 10:54 PM
On 2006-09-11 19:20, xenokai wrote:

On 2006-09-11 17:11, VioletSkye wrote:

Thanks and to tell ya the truth not many said they would try it for us dial up people. Thank's Most people on here like to be a ass's like Alexandrious1 about my dial up threads even if im not asking about it or not (this post was to give us dial up players info)not to ask about if it works. My dial up gets on at around 44k-46.6k 90% of the time.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: xenokai on 2006-09-11 19:24 ]</font>

Asses? Dude your being an ass yourself posting the same topic asking the same question over and over and over again when people constantly given you an answer, even tested it, and gave you an answer.

Give it up, wait till your old enough to move out and get cable or dsl or whatever. I highly doubt youll be able to play on even the best dial up, good enough to where you wont get lag killed in the what 6 person groups now? All those mobs and 6 different players requires alot of information to be processed thru your connection, 56k wont cut it, youll get lag, youll lag die, youll kill peoples S-Rank upon mission completion. Ive had a few friends in PSOBB try it with 56k, it was only bout 75 percent playable for them on the best 56K net service they could possibly get. PSU has more numbers, more 1s and 0s, more things that will happen and be going on, thus it will process alot more information even when just in your parties instance. end of story.

Quit posting threads asking bout it and keep it to PMs with people who will be testing the game on Dialup. Sighs kids....

Nuff said

xenokai
Sep 11, 2006, 11:15 PM
They tested the beta on dial up that a big difference then the retail game. This post isn't even a question this is some info i got straight from Sega right hand mane Clumsy. So please don't open my thread if you wanna spam them. My threads haven't been flooding the board. Maybe they do if you put 9 months of my threads together.

A2K
Sep 12, 2006, 03:21 AM
They're not flooding the board. The simple fact is that you've asked this a million times already and have received the same answer every time. Hell, even clumsy gave you the same answer. So why do you keep asking it?

xenokai
Sep 12, 2006, 03:28 AM
Again this thread wasnt a question. -_- And ive asked he more then once simply because it was in beta and now it is released. And ive yet to talk to anyone directly that has actually tryed the Imported version on dial up.

Mewn
Sep 12, 2006, 03:52 AM
On 2006-09-11 21:15, xenokai wrote:
They tested the beta on dial up that a big difference then the retail game. This post isn't even a question this is some info i got straight from Sega right hand mane Clumsy. So please don't open my thread if you wanna spam them. My threads haven't been flooding the board. Maybe they do if you put 9 months of my threads together.

He even said the response he gave you wasn't to be taken as an endorsement of dial-up, on the official boards. Give it up, you've asked this a million times and you're only going to find out how bad it is for yourself when you play it.

hypersaxon
Sep 12, 2006, 04:31 AM
I feel sorry for people who have to settle for dial-up. Once you try broadband, you'll never want to go back.