PDA

View Full Version : Eating Disorders

Nixia
Sep 16, 2006, 03:45 AM
I really think anorexia and bulimia are attributed to laziness. Hold on a sec, I know they're serious medical and psychological disorders--in fact that's what pisses me off about them, how it got so damned bad.

We live in a society where everyone--girls especially--must strive to be perfect, or they're worthless, blah blah blah, okay fine. Ideally, it'd be nice if everyone was happy with themselves, but if you can't be, it's natural to want to and take initiative to change whatever it is you don't like. If I don't like my hair, I'ma get it done, if my eyebrows are too bushy, those suckers are getting waxed. End of story.

I know people who suffer from eating disorders, and despite how abrasive I am about the subject, it will never stop me from hoping that they get better.

Of course, there's always pro-ana; where anorexia isn't a psychological and medical disease, oh no it's a lifestyle choice!

And, I've seen it in action. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif

I'm at the mall with some girls, and after lunch, and one of the group goes "Be right back, I have to throw up." As if she had gone to powder her nose. WTF http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_nono.gif

Maybe I don't know what I'm talking about, and couldn't possibly understand whatever pressures that trigger it, fair enough. But, I'm going with what I do know and believe, and I believe this pisses me off. STOP HURTING YOURSELVES, DAMNIT!!

I guess what I'm asking is: Instead of sticking x-y-z down your throat, why not just go to the gym? Or just exercise on your own, hrm? It'd be nice for eating disorders to go away completely, but but they're not, so why not use the negative pressure as an incentive for positive results; look good and get healthy! Two birds, one stone, anyone?

Oh yeah, I've been meaning to ask you guys/girls:

Do y'all like your girls bony as hell, or fit and filled. I'm pretty sure I know the the answer, I just need to prove someone wrong. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif Petty, you betcha. Do I care, hell naw! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

PIT
Sep 16, 2006, 05:22 AM
that's what people usualy do - instead of doing something themself, they're waiting for a miracle to come. maybe it's a bit off topic, but it's close. they're just damn lazy, they'd rather die than do some hard work that'll make their lives better. that's how people think - what you should have done today, do in two days, you'll get two days of free time.

BogusKun
Sep 16, 2006, 05:58 AM
I don't want to make this seem offensive... but if maybe these anorexics invested in Online Gaming and eating less.. they will get skinny. Healthier.

astuarlen
Sep 16, 2006, 10:17 AM
Wow, a lot of serious misconceptions here not that I didn't expect that when I clicked this thread.
Anorexia/bullemia has nothing to do with laziness and a whole lot to do with control--controlling what one puts in their body (or removes) and what one looks like.

Nixia, you say they should go exercise if they want to lose weight or be fit. There are a couple problems with that. First of all, many anorexics don't need to lose weight; they're already (too) skinny. Also, many do compulsively exercise in addition to (or possible in lieu of, I'm not sure) limiting what they eat. This is not a lazy person's mental disease; they are actively (and dangerously) pursuing their (ill-conceived) goals with respect to their bodies.

PIT, your remarks hardly merit a reply, but I strongly disbelieve that most people with an eating disorder are trying to starve to death. Yes, they might be depressed and even suicidal, but those eating behaviors are not generally intended as suicidal.

Bogus, I am going to assume you just don't know the meaning of anorexia if you're encouraging these individuals to eat less and lose weight to be "healthier". Get a dictionary (and one of those squishy, wrinkly pink things some people keep in their heads; I think Walmart is having a sale).

Solstis
Sep 16, 2006, 12:02 PM
They're only available at Super Walmarts in the produce section.

By the way, playing video games all day might make you skinny (if you don't eat), but you definitely won't be healthy.

astuarlen
Sep 16, 2006, 12:41 PM
On 2006-09-16 10:02, Solstis wrote:
They're only available at Super Walmarts in the produce section.

By the way, playing video games all day might make you skinny (if you don't eat), but you definitely won't be healthy.

Make sure you don't get one that's overripe; they should have some give, though.

Yeah, sedentary activity + lack of food = scrawny and unfit. Story of many a life on this board, I'd wager. ;p

T0m
Sep 16, 2006, 01:46 PM
Hey, I understand this might be a sensitive subject. But Nixia seems to be making a fair distinction between the people who genuinely suffer from eating disorders, and people starving themselves because they think that's cool to do.
If that's the point Nixia is making, then I agree.
There are several pro-ana sites, who claim to do nothing more than provide support to people with ED's. But thanks to the same sites, there are people (generally girls) worldwide trying to "better" each other. (Trying to be thinner). Even when this isn't the case, it's often giving the idea to someone with a ED, that they don't have to worry, because there are other's who are much more severe cases.

(Those sites shouldn't be hard to find. I'll add a link here, clicky (http://www.proana.us/). I can't judge where this particular site stands, because I only browsed over it. The homepages sub-heading is sending off the wrong message, at least, to me. To everyone taking a look there, the pictures in the gallery are rather unpleasant..)

T0m
Sep 16, 2006, 01:49 PM
whoops! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: T0m on 2006-09-16 23:56 ]</font>

MadEwokHerd
Sep 16, 2006, 07:02 PM
Finger Forced (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yM7ZYtGXBIs)

This about somes it up...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: MadEwokHerd on 2006-09-16 18:28 ]</font>

Nixia
Sep 16, 2006, 08:27 PM
On 2006-09-16 08:17, astuarlen wrote:
Nixia, you say they should go exercise if they want to lose weight or be fit. There are a couple problems with that. First of all, many anorexics don't need to lose weight; they're already (too) skinny. Also, many do compulsively exercise in addition to (or possible in lieu of, I'm not sure) limiting what they eat. This is not a lazy person's mental disease; they are actively (and dangerously) pursuing their (ill-conceived) goals with respect to their bodies.

I won't disagree with anything that you're saying except for that I'm not saying that anorexics should exercise to lose more weight, just that there are healthier, and better alternatives. But, I guess it wouldn't be an eating disorder if it was healthy (in all regards).

A lot of them are completely aware that they have a problem and are still actively pursuing it. Okay, that's where it's on par with smoking, compulsive drinking and eating, etc., but I guess what really gets to me is how this is accepted and encouraged (to a degree), and considered beautiful in today's society. How can looking like the walking dead be considered pretty? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_nono.gif

I know this isn't anything new, and people (should) have the right to live life the way they want to (without comprimising anyone else's livelihood) but those facts don't make it any less frustrating. >.>

That website made me sick. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif

navci
Sep 16, 2006, 08:50 PM
On 2006-09-16 18:27, Nixia wrote:

I won't disagree with anything that you're saying except for that I'm not saying that anorexics should exercise to lose more weight, just that there are healthier, and better alternatives. But, I guess it wouldn't be an eating disorder if it was healthy (in all regards).

See. It isn't healthy to be model thin in the first place. The goal they have in mind is fairly inattainable in the first place. It isn't a healthy goal, it is an obsession. Going back to asturalen's point.. it is about control. Think of it this way, if you excercise, nothing you can guarantee to yourself that you will lose any number of weight in given time period. You stop ingesting food, you damn right won't gain but lose your weight. It is about kinda like an actively taking your body in charge. Not a great thing in this sense, but it is the control that is there.

Though, I'd have to agree the part that "Oh excuse me, I am going to throw up now" in a group situation. That is highly unlikely what a bulimic would do. People who actually do that would be far more likely to do it in secret. It's an obsession, and they know it. Announcing it is prolly a "cool thing" and most likely they're not actually throwing up.

A lot of them are completely aware that they have a problem and are still actively pursuing it.

A disorder is classified as a behaviour that cause imminent danger to self/others. So in that sense if you know you have a problem, it is where you usually try to get help. Or, if serious enough, as a friend or family member, you should seek help FOR them.

but I guess what really gets to me is how this is accepted and encouraged (to a degree), and considered beautiful in today's society. How can looking like the walking dead be considered pretty? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_nono.gif

Distorted self image. They can't really see what is there: skin and bones. And why do we glorify skinny models? Interesting piece of news I just read a couple days ago. Milan, is placing a ban on models that are too skinny. In order to participate a fashion show, you have to be over a certain weight.

I'd like to see more of these bans happening.

zwandude15
Sep 16, 2006, 11:52 PM
Wanna lose weight anyone?

- Eat less
- Exercise
- Drink more water

-end-

This subject sort of boils my brain.

People need to be happy with who they are.

Obesity is becoming a problem. I mean, sure, it's good to be healthy and lose a few pounds, but to the point where it's dangerous, isn't healthy.

It kind of makes me want to pity those people, thinking that maybe they wanted to be skinnier because they don't have someone that loved them for who they are.

My girlfriend isn't skinny and I love her.

Solstis
Sep 17, 2006, 04:00 AM
On 2006-09-16 21:52, zwandude15 wrote:

- Eat less
- Exercise
- Drink more water

-end-

This subject sort of boils my brain.

People need to be happy with who they are.

Obesity is becoming a problem. I mean, sure, it's good to be healthy and lose a few pounds, but to the point where it's dangerous, isn't healthy.

It kind of makes me want to pity those people, thinking that maybe they wanted to be skinnier because they don't have someone that loved them for who they are.

My girlfriend isn't skinny and I love her.

Did you just skip the last several replies?

Eating Disorders are caused by social stigma. Common sense advice isn't going to make a bullemic go "Oh, really? I guess that it's time for an instantaneous change! Cue montage!" It's like having posters telling people to read. If they have some deep rooted problem with it, they're not going to suddenly start.

"People need to be happy with who they are." Yes, that's very optimistic and cute, but people aren't, and getting angry at them because of their problems won't help.

It's not easy to stop eating certain foods. I really love eating, and when I go through a food fad, I have a real "need" for it. I can ignore my cravings for the most part, but I imagine how hard it can be for some.

zwandude15
Sep 17, 2006, 03:28 PM
I did read the last replies, yes;

I realize it's a mental problem, but it's a choice they made (to be skinny).

Had they appreciated themselves in the first place, it wouldn't be an issue,

hence, "People need to be happy with who they are."

I'm not "angry at them because of their problems," because I already said I pity them...

I wonder if verbally abusing someone with, "eat some food, you need to gain a few pounds" might actually help.

Has anyone seen that video on ebaumsworld? *shudders*

Solstis
Sep 17, 2006, 04:13 PM
It's amazing that you have to clout to claim that it's a choice that the people made. It's not like they woke up one day with a dialogue box in front of them asking "Anorexia/Bullemia: Y/N?" People don't feel bad about themselves because they want to, but because society basically jams its ideas of beauty down their throats. Can't be surprised when they want to throw it all up.

Claiming that "People need to be happy with who they are" is far too strong of a moral imperative. You can't expect that, especially when everything in the world is telling them not to be. Advertisers tell us that our cars, our clothes, our food, our image, etc are not up to par. I wear certain length socks because I want to fit in. You can tell me to love myself and my socks as much as you want, but unless you go and change the entire system, nothing is going to happen.

People don't need your pity, they need you to cause change on a systemic scale.

zwandude15
Sep 17, 2006, 05:52 PM
I don't mean that they "chose" to be "anorexic or bullimic", they chose to want to be better (like society's idea of "beauty").

I plan on being a psych one day, so maybe I will cause change.

But you know what? People need to find things out for themselves.

All the time people look for help elsewhere, and in this case, they look for others to compare themselves to.

They need to look for help from themselves, and not me because "I pity them."

Just as much as I could say you need to get over society and wear the socks you want. But maybe those socks are your cup of tea, eh? So you won't change even if society did. But then you wouldn't fit in... so would you change to higher cut socks? even if you didn't like them?

But let's say perhaps your socks gave your feet a fungus that you didn't know about. Would you still wear them if you knew they were doing that to you? It's like a person who has anorexia or bullemia. If they knew something was wrong with them, I'm positive they'd want to change for the better too. I'm sure there's been more than a couple cases where they've come back from their disorders.

Society didn't change for those people, and it isn't changing for the people who suffer from it now.

They still have the choice to change for themselves, and not the world.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: zwandude15 on 2006-09-17 15:55 ]</font>

navci
Sep 17, 2006, 09:00 PM
On 2006-09-17 15:52, zwandude15 wrote:
I don't mean that they "chose" to be "anorexic or bullimic", they chose to want to be better (like society's idea of "beauty").

Think of it this way. Men would do a lot of things to prove themselves manly. Work out get muscles, men-acceptable interest and hobbies. Men don't cry, emotions is for chicks. These are all expecatations, some of them can go pretty extreme. It isn't really a matter that you "choose" to, you do, to a certain extend, but you don't because it is expected of you to do. If you don't you become a deviant. The "I don't need to conform" things is all nice and cute, wait till you start working, there are things expected of you that you will have to do it no matter what your personal opinion is. That is pressure, and that is the general pressure we are talking about when we talk about eating disorder.. or any type of obession really.

Sometimes one person really only don't have sufficient strength to fix ones problem if they get severe. We should all try, but we should also all look out for each other.

Azraelscross
Sep 19, 2006, 12:53 AM
On 2006-09-16 21:52, zwandude15 wrote:

- Eat less
- Exercise
- Drink more water

-end-

well thats what i do. and i've gained wieght. you should add
Play less video games
watch less tv
spend less time on computer
don't eat too little*usually under 1500 calories is too little*

all those things put your body into a catabolic state. which esentially means. during that time everything is stored as fat.

this topic really hits a chord with me. i have an unhealthy obsession with my body. i also have a distorted body image. this i have struggled with for a little over 6-7 years.i have managed to try and loose wieght healthly so far. i'm probably one of the few people though you'll meet that has problems eating over 1000-1500 calories most days. its a strange type of disorder. there are some who embrace it and others who try and get better. i try not to let myself slip into it.

one thing that drives me nuts though is alot of people are convinced only girls can get an ED. well not only was the first case of Anorexia a british schoolboy the numbers of guys with it are rising exponetially. but are often misdiagnosed of ignored because in alot of peoples minds guys can't get it.

Orange_Coconut
Sep 19, 2006, 11:51 AM
You forget to take into account what these people may have gone through to become the way they are. It's not always just "Oh hey, I want to be beautiful in the eyes of society. I guess I'll go with Anorexia, yeah that sounds good."

People are fucking scarred from what others have made of them before, or from how they've seen others treat those who are over weight. Not everyone is strong enough to shake off any jokes about being fat, some people have been ridiculed for other reasons and feel like they don't need another reason to be made fun of.

There is some self-image to it: The more the bones show, the more enchanting one's body becomes. People have been insulted for being fat, go on to the other end of unhealthy eating, and get made fun of for being too fucking thin. Neither is good for you, but who the hell actually eats a balanced diet anyways? I've seen everyone in my family, relatives in Wayland, New Mexico. My friends, their parents, the kids in the cafeteria. Not everybody eats a balanced diet, at least not according to the charts.

There needs to be less complaining and more positive reinforcement. The problem is, anorexia is also linked to signs of depression. Talking about it with someone who is anorexic could be very touchy about the subject, or just try to avoid it at all costs. Sometimes people know what they're doing is wrong, but it's so hard to shake a mind set when society is constantly ridiculing everyone around them.

It's actually really hard to think that people accept you for who you are after a while, you get paranoid. You think that everything everyone around you says is a lie. You tend to ask the worst question ever: "Do you think I'm fat?"

That question is death in terms of conversation. No matter what you say, the person who asked it will feel terrible if you say he/she is fat, or feel like you're lying if you say they're not. Which might lead that person to ask someone else, and it just reinforces the thought of being fat and the fear of it. It's not so much a choice, it's almost as though the balance in one's mind has become seriously disproportionate. The definition of thin becomes even slimmer and slimmer with each day you look at the scale.

If you gain a pound it feels like you've gained 50, you feel like everything you have worked so hard to get rid of will now be shooting back. Whether you were a bit chubby or not before this mind set came into place, you will feel like you're going to become bloated. Or back to "the way things were", which no matter what you looked like, you would consider fat.

It's a big problem, and it's terrible to see people who want to follow the same steps that others with the real fear and distorted thoughts of the subject have. Psychologists know that it is a kind of problem in the mind, it's not just a choice. It may seem like it started out as a choice, but it's through how one's perception of the subject has been blown out of proportion. The worst part is, in some cases, death would be more welcoming than becoming fat.

I remember when I was working out constantly. I would stay up from 1-3 AM just to work out, so nobody knew what I was doing in the basement. It was terrible, I would get so mad at myself, go to the mirror and flex my stomach so that I could punch it several times. I eventually passed out more than once, hitting my head on the tile floor. Is it good? No, it's not. I knew it wasn't, but at the same time I felt like it was the only way I would be able to maintain my "perfect figure". Which obviously was not so perfect.

Anyways, it never really goes away. I may be doing better now, but I will still have so many quirks in my eating habits. I don't exercise as much, though I know it's important for everybody to exercise. But it's not fun to go through, I didn't like being that way, it was just the way I was. I still kind of have some familiarities with it, but I do eat. The mind set is hard to shake off, like I said, but don't tell anorexic people to go and work out and stop hurting themselves. They would argue that it is harmful to eat all the crappy foods most people eat nowadays, also they work out like crazy. It may not be the best argument, but again, realize that what they're going through is hurting them, but they don't need to be emotionally hurt by those around them as well. It's so easy to break the spirit of a broken mind.

Also, if you really do know someone with this kind of problem and want to do something about it, just don't stop being their friend. If he/she knows that you know about his/her problem, then try not to bring it up so much. If it gets to the point where it doesn't look like anything's changing, I would suggest talking about all of their positive attributes, and asking why they feel they need to be that certain way. Don't tell them they're too thin, but ask about what goes on through their mind when they actually think about what they're doing. If you're really friends, or close enough, chances are he/she will talk. That's where the window of oppurtunity and care can help, just being a good friend.

DrizaSiegmund
Sep 22, 2006, 02:06 PM
When people.. hear the words 'eating disorder' the immidiate thing that comes to mind is females.
Im gonna giv u another perspectiv to think about before people continue taking these rediculous judgements..

Im male, and i suffer from an eating disorder, i actuallt dont like to call it that but that's what u do when something is wrong with u, u deny it.

Since very early in my teenage years i took drastic measures.. sometimes over feeding myself, sometimes purposely eating fattening things. HECK last year i even began to drink protein shakes for weight gain. None of this has done anything and living with a non changing motabolism is soo hard, it annoiys me when people throw judgement as tho as if there is an alternative.

For me, being skinnier than other guys means
- i get disrespected alot (talking from experience)
- i am almost never taken seriously
- shows passiveness

so if anyone is ever worrying about their self image, it's me, and unlike a high percentage of people it has nothing to do with looking good and attractive, it has to do with defending myself.

I get soo furious when i see these adverts for people who drastically want to lose weight, and even have the greatest support from everyone around them. Meanwhile the people whose lives are in danger are us.

ooh but wait no no, ill just 'love who i am' and everything will go away. :>

PJ
Sep 22, 2006, 05:18 PM
On 2006-09-22 12:06, DrizaSiegmund wrote:

- i am almost never taken seriously
- shows passiveness

You know, I never noticed it, but it's true

Huh

DavidNel
Sep 22, 2006, 07:11 PM
People have eating disorders of many reasons, many of which I don't care about. These people will get over it, or die. It's their choice. And I don't mean it as it is easy to change, they will really keep at their odd eating habbits until something severly drastic happens. Sometimes they die, and that is their drastic thing, others find someone or something that drags them out of it. This sounds really different in my head, but I think you may get my meaning...

There are only two possible outcomes, and one is death, and the other is changing their ways.

Also, people here are missing a large chunk of people who do have eating disorders (I've tried to read all the posts). These people are kids who play sports. Wrestling and dancing are the two most obvious sports, as their players must be a specific weight to play in. I am in Cross Country (for those who don't know, it is a sport of running 5/8/10 kilometers) and many people on my team suffer from an eating disorder, including myself... I guess. I am very, very, very, very SLIGHTLY bulimic, and I'm going to keep at it because it is working. I also know most other people on my team are as well (I forgot to mention earilier, I'm male). For me, I do this because of the glory I can obtain through my sports. Nothing you say can chnge me until I reach my goal of a 17:30 5K.

(spaceing for clarity)

Other runners are suffer much worse than I do, so I don't think I have it that bad. And you all are right when you say people don't talk about it. It has become taboo, and you all know it.

IN CONCLUSION, people will keep their eating disorder until something drastic happens, or they die.

- Me

zwandude15
Sep 22, 2006, 08:03 PM

What's with the bagging people... >_>

I don't disrespect you in any fashion.

I do not know enough about you to make assumptions.

Life is good. Embrace it!

T0m
Sep 23, 2006, 03:59 AM
DavidNel, you are making a deliberate, conscious, and apparently well-considered decision to over-eat ever so slightly. Where as people with real eating disorders (click to get informed) (http://www.anad.org/site/anadweb/content.php?type=1&id=6982), don't have much control over their actions in this regard.

Zwandude, you say you don't know enough to make assumptions about DrizaSiegmund, (so I'll assume you don't know him in real). Then why is the first thing you do, to assume he meant that you, among others, are disrespecting him?
I take it that Driza was talking about people who actually met him, so that, at least, they know he's skinnier than average. And then base their (unintentional) decreased respect for him on that.

It's commendable that you have such a positive outlook on life. If more people would share that view, then the world would surely be a better place. But don't make the mistake of believing that everyone should see it your way. Or even that everyone is in a position to do so. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

DrizaSiegmund
Sep 24, 2006, 08:27 AM
On 2006-09-22 18:03, zwandude15 wrote:
[quote]

Life IS good, and i embrace it a tremendous amount, infact more than you'll ever know i do, but thank you for assuming you know how i live >:J

you know what, i was talking about the life i live when others physically see me, but if anyone wants to take this as a personal insult then i might aswell have not said it

this was directed at the kind of people that TILL THIS DAY, wont be going thru anything like this ever, yet conveniently have a miracle cure for it in their mind.

On 2006-09-22 17:11, DavidNel wrote:
People have eating disorders of many reasons, many of which I don't care about. These people will get over it, or die. It's their choice.

Watch your mouth young man.

On 2006-09-22 17:11, DavidNel wrote:
IN CONCLUSION, people will keep their eating disorder until something drastic happens, or they die.

- Me

....ye that sounds about right.

DrizaSiegmund
Sep 24, 2006, 09:17 AM
On 2006-09-22 18:03, zwandude15 wrote:

On 2006-09-24 06:27, DrizaSiegmund wrote:

Life IS good, and i embrace it a tremendous amount, infact more than you'll ever know i do, but thank you for assuming you know how i live >:J

My apologies, i'm just abit irritated that's all. You misunderstood w/ i was saying, that's all, i didnt hav to go and attack you on it. Do forgive me.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DrizaSiegmund on 2006-09-24 07:21 ]</font>

zwandude15
Sep 24, 2006, 11:10 AM
It's fine really.

I just meant because I was the person who had first said to love who you are.

Like I said, I don't disrespect you in any fashion.

In a way, I can kind of relate to you. Although I may not be skinny to the point of being declared sick, I'm small for my size (and I'm not saying that you are either). My girlfriend told me (harshly) that I looked an unhealthy weight a while back.

No hard feelings.