PDA

View Full Version : Big flashy banner ads

phongi
Sep 17, 2006, 02:19 PM
Are big flashy banner ads supposed to be on this site, like this one?

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l113/phongy/ad.jpg

Just wondering.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: phongi on 2006-09-17 12:19 ]</font>

Ryna
Sep 17, 2006, 02:22 PM
Gamespy does have the tendency to insert Flash ads like that. They can be annoying, but that is part of the price of being hosted by Gamespy.

Tomeeboy
Sep 19, 2006, 12:06 PM
The Gamespy banner ads do provide us with the free hosting and unlimited resources that we need to keep the site operating. However, they are supposed to stay within certain restrictions and we can request the removal of banners that are being overly intrusive and violating Gamespy's own ad guidelines. One example of this would be the Xmods banner from a while back that would automatically expand to 3x the normal size of a leaderboard banner without any action from the user (such as a click or mouse-over). If you see ads such as this, let us know and we can always investigate to make sure that somebody didn't slip a bad banner into the rotation.

HUnewearl_Meira
Sep 19, 2006, 04:44 PM
There are a few that seem to expand at the drop of a hat. I believe they're a mouse-over deal, but there's absolutely zero-delay on expanding, meaning that just swinging your cursor around to hit the Reload button is enough to set it off, or even just over-shooting the navigation bar. I dunno if that's beyond Gamespy's guidelines, but it's nearly as bad as the Xmods banner.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Sep 20, 2006, 06:20 AM
The other day the Jericho one was doubled up under the PSOW top .gif banner, and both scrolled down independently!

Neith
Sep 20, 2006, 05:48 PM
The Jericho banner is pretty annoying, it seems to overlap the uppermost forum links, and prevents me pressing them sometimes.