PDA

View Full Version : New DVD Protection chips

Firocket1690
Sep 18, 2006, 04:15 PM
http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2164309/embedded-dvd-chip-fights-piracy

Personally, I think it's not going to work too well. Corporate people are trying too hard to force people to buy new shit. Some people don't like buying new shit. New DVDs that might require new DVD players to play properly would piss off a lot of people. Second possibility - Whatthehell is a chip on a disc? To be communicated with via radio? So now they stalk where their discs go, to their exact location? Privacy invasion much. One more thing. What would happen if I put it in a 2002 laptop with a DVD drive? I thought people would learn from Sony's fuckup with the CDs. Toying with the (I assume, much larger) movie/DVD market would annoy so many more people...

Discuss.

RoninJoku
Sep 18, 2006, 05:15 PM
Ugh, I hate this kind of crap... These companies shell out all this money for new methods of piracy protection just so they can make more money, when people are just going to find new ways around the protection and the big companies will have to do it again... And then all the little folk have to spend more money even if they don't practice piracy. So in the end everyone is just spending more and more money so the big boys can make more of their so well-deserved profits and the only people taking a real hit are the honest ones.

Neith
Sep 18, 2006, 06:35 PM
It's almost encouraging piracy. If it's going to be that invasive, people will just think 'screw it' and turn to pirated versions.

Sucks that they may not be compatible with older DVD players too, it'll end up where the fine for piracy is less than the price of upgrading constantly XD

Tallus
Sep 19, 2006, 08:25 PM
if the chip is on the exterior of the disk...screwdriver... http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Nixia
Sep 19, 2006, 10:39 PM
On 2006-09-19 18:25, Tallus wrote:
if the chip is on the exterior of the disk...screwdriver... http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

But, what if the chip is like, integrated into the DVD so the disc itself can't work without it?

HUnewearl_Meira
Sep 19, 2006, 11:06 PM
This is getting rediculous. Someone needs to put a stop to this crap. It's just stupid.

First off, how in the hell does tracking original discs help prevent piracy? All right, so you know where all the legitimate copies are, what now? Is some executive gonna be walking by someone's house, see his movie playing in the window and just be all, "GASP! That house doesn't own a real copy of that movie!" This is dumb.

Furthermore, from the sounds of things, this will do absolutely nothing to prevent pirated DVDs from being played in current players. Nothing. If part of the deal is that the chip transmits a key code to decrypt the DVD, then well, the only thing that actually accomplishes is that people can't watch their new DVDs. I rather expect that a majority of these DVDs will subsequently be returned. This is also dumb.

If the "new" DVD players still have to be able to play the old DVDs, then what is stopping them from playing copied DVDs ?? I really don't think they thought this through! I mean seriously, chances are, I'm not going to find myself readily able to make a direct copy of a DVD to begin with. If I'm going to pirate a movie onto a DVD, I'm probably going to download it and burn the DVD from there. I fail to see how this chip is going to prevent this process-- I don't think they understand that they're fighting with people who program in Assembly language. If they want that DVD-ROM to rip a video off that disc, then the DVD-ROM will rip the video off that disc. This, as well, is dumb.

http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif

solidsolo
Sep 22, 2006, 09:32 AM
what about all previously pirated dvds... will they still work??

HUnewearl_Meira
Sep 22, 2006, 03:13 PM
Think about it like this, solidsolo: If the new DVD players need to be able to play the old legitimate DVDs that a current DVD player does not distinguish from a pirated copy, then what can prevent a new DVD player from playing a copied DVD? And even beyond that, what about people who record their home videos and such to DVD? How can they play those videos in the new DVD players if they can only read chipped discs?

This plan of theirs is useless and will only cost everyone money.

solidsolo
Sep 22, 2006, 03:43 PM
i cant imagine the movie industry recreating all the thousands upon thousands of dvd titles w/ new chips in them... not counting the new blu-ray discs..