PDA

View Full Version : For those who have done a job interview

BeeYee
Sep 20, 2006, 07:29 PM
I have a job interview coming up, and I was wondering, should I bring notecards to look off of just in case? This isnt too serious, just a school project, not huge. But it will have an impact on my grade if I dont do well, I barely have an A in this class and I need a stronger A. Any help would be aprecciated, and Id like it before tomorrow, thats when the interview is.

sprky585
Sep 20, 2006, 08:32 PM
you shouldnt need a note card for a job interview...just be straight foward and honest...ive only had two (the first ending short because i had to be 16 to work there and im only 15) and the other was just me answering questions about myself...wait are u the interviewer or the interviewee?

isahn80
Sep 20, 2006, 10:38 PM
I've had more job interviews than I can count and my best advice is to act casual. Talk to the interviewer like you're friends, as this will come across as you being comfortable with your prospective environment and good with others (i.e. a "team player"). Show interest in the job, but don't go overboard with how badly you want it or you'll sound desperate. When they get to the part about personal questions, this is where the art of bullshit comes in to play. You need to present yourself as honest and dependable, regardless of whether or not you actually are (I sure as hell aren't). The best way to say this would be to state a couple of your "pet peeves" which would be, conveniently, people that are late, liars, drug users, etc. etc. Work this in when the opportunity presents itself. Oh, and if you're one of those people that get all nervous during this sort of thing, you're basically fucked and should practice with friends beforehand. Let's see... what else... dress nice, hide any visible tattoos, don't swear unless they do first, don't state what religion you are unless asked... and as far as hobbies go, say that you're too busy to have any (with chores, homework, whatever). They like this. If you get a good chance, state that you have other job interviews lined up as well (regardless of whether this is true).

Don't use notecards. Static responses will impress no one.

Hope this helped.

CupOfCoffee
Sep 20, 2006, 10:50 PM
Great advice from isahn. Also, make sure you don't wear any cologne or anything. Some people are extremely allergic, and plus, it's just good etiquette to not smell like you want to date your prospective employer. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

T0m
Sep 21, 2006, 03:13 AM
Don't use notecards. Static responses will impress no one.
This is not true every time http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif
Because I'm the type that forgets to say and ask things often, a written reminder helps me at times. And the few times I had to use those, it didn't seem to have negatively affected the interview.
If nothing else, the interviewer will be glad to see that the interviewee invested some time beforehand, and got informed about whatever it is the interview is for. (It shows, or fakes, that the interviewee sincerely is interested).
And, kinda obvious, don't write an essay that you'll recite, just a few catchwords should do.

Tweengo
Sep 21, 2006, 04:31 AM
My interview for the first (and currently last, yeah I'm a fussy job picker so what http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif ) went pretty good. All the ones I had before that were kinda okay. I just told the truth and answered questions on a spur of the moment kind of thing. I think of what I may need to say, and anything I'm unsure of, I answer the best I can. After being made redundant however, my interview skills became kind of rusty. I had an interview for a supermarket and when asked what I would do if a customer was angry with the service, I had that moment of 'deadly silence'. Man I hate thinking about that. Didn't get the job http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif I STILL haven't found a job since last year, 'cause the (insert incredibly offensive profanity here) won't reply to my applications http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_cry.gif

TheOneHero
Sep 21, 2006, 12:13 PM
It didn't post. So let's try this again... D:

Tweengo, in regard to the latter part of your post:

Just because you turn in an application(s) doesn't mean you'll get a call. Most of the time (and a good idea too) is to call the place you want to work at a two days at least after you turn in your application. That is of course, you haven't been contacted. (Which could be for any number of reasons.)

Call and ask to speak with a manager, tell them your name and be like "I was curious to know if you have had a chance to go over my application." Make sure you don't say it so you're putting them on the spot. That's bad. At least, the majority of the time.

Depending what answer you get from the manager, it will decide whether or not you should call back soon or just walk in and talk to a manager two days later. (Granted they haven't contacted you yet.)

If you haven't got called in for an interview or been contacted in a week or so, I would just forget about it and look for a job somewhere else.

Something important to remember is that honesty is a must. Good employers love honest workers.

Another thing worth a note, let's say you apply for a job at a movie theatre of fast food joint. Don't be like, "lol, do I get free stuff?" That's bad. Let them bring it up, and if they don't, just let it slide for the time being. This shows you're actually interested in the job rather than the perks. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Be honest!

Also, don't be all, "I want weekends off and I won't work holidays."

Good chance is they'll say no on the spot!

Good luck and don't be a suck-up or let them walk over you!

(I apologize if any of this was stated prior to my post, I did not read through the entire thread.)

Edit* When you call/walk in the first (and second time if needed) let them know you're interested in the job. Don't just say "oh okay," then leave. No one wants someone who gives up easily working for them. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: TheOneHero on 2006-09-21 10:18 ]</font>

Soinkus
Sep 21, 2006, 02:16 PM
Another thing to note, if you need certain times off for school, ect, let them know when you apply.

Some employers will end up scheduling you for inconvenient times unless you make it clear that you can't work those days.

It's better to go ahead and be turned down for a job because you're honest, rather than get hired, then fired, because you failed to tell them you could not work certain times. It will look pretty bad if your first job was at a grocery store, and you got let go a month later because you failed to show up one day.

And on notes, I wouldn't recomend that. Employers like to know that their employee is knowledgable in te job they're applying for, and having cards to read off of comes off as you not knowing much about the job; you need cards to answer questions.

BeeYee
Sep 21, 2006, 03:43 PM
Thanks a ton, I read the responses before I went to school. He said I did well, he didn't say he would hire me though, but thats ok, my grade isnt based on if they hire me or not. I actually thought it was easy.