PDA

View Full Version : Classic Anti-Teen Rant

Dre_o
Sep 22, 2006, 10:16 PM
Yea, life sucks. I'm over that now.

But anyways, not until just recently has the full effect of how foolish our current generation of teenagers is. Indeed I am one of them and indeed I know there are many exceptions (like myself) but I still feel the uncontrollable urge to say some random, anti-teenager rant that we've all heard MANY of.

Yet, I will try to maintain many of my points with facts from which I have personal experience. To begin, I will start with this:

Teacher (in front of my Psychology class) stops talking and stares at to people in the back of the room ,I'll call them Girl A and Guy B for this part, who are talking endlessly.

Teacher: "Ms. A, please stop talking!"

GA: "I wasn't talking!"

Teach: "Yes you were! I stood here watching you!"

GA: "Well he started talking to me!"

Teach: "And does that mean you have to continue with him???"

GA: "No but,"

Teach: "Then why did you do it!!!????"

At this point the girl started pouting. Guess what happened less than 5 minutes later? (Yes, I counted)

Teach: "MS. A, STOP TALKING!!!"

GA: "But!!!!"

Teach: "No buts!!!"

GA: "Why are you picking on me??"

Teach: "Cause you're the only one talking!!!!"

....yes, well I believe the above passage is self-explanitory. This is just the first of many things that make me think that cell phones, MP3 players, and parties are doing to our modern teens. Luckaly, I'm not going to post them all in this one post.

Until we meet again,
En taro Adun!

Leviathan
Sep 22, 2006, 10:33 PM
This probably isnt AP is it?

Well everyone in my opinion is getting lazier and lazier, which makes me sad to think how the next generation will end up.

DavidNel
Sep 22, 2006, 10:59 PM
There is a bright side, the more morons, the easier it will be to get a good job. I'll hopefully be long dead before the lazyness of humanity reaches it's peak. And yes, I'm a teenager also, but hey, what can you do. (I'm in AP classes and it will still happen, expecially in Stats...)

PJ
Sep 23, 2006, 07:31 AM
On 2006-09-22 20:33, Leviatha wrote:
Well everyone in my opinion is getting lazier and lazier, which makes me sad to think how the next generation will end up.

According to my Film teacher, every generation is like that

We're fine

Firocket1690
Sep 23, 2006, 11:50 AM
lawl, ignorance is bliss.

Solstis
Sep 23, 2006, 03:39 PM
On 2006-09-23 05:31, PJ wrote:

On 2006-09-22 20:33, Leviatha wrote:

According to my Film teacher, every generation is like that

We're fine

I mean, seriously, humans have just invented new ways to be lazy. We haven't changed all so very much from generation to the next.

Blueberry
Sep 24, 2006, 07:23 AM
Some teenagers can be pretty bad, yeah. I'm one, but I figure if I say literate on forums and games and don't mess around when other people may be running on a short fuse, i'll do fine, you know? Every generation has their annoying ones, hopefully ours isn't "tainted". Heh.

Sinue_v2
Sep 25, 2006, 12:17 PM
There is a bright side, the more morons, the easier it will be to get a good job.

No.. not really. Morons like to stick to their own kind. Our old IT at Stumps was a complete retard who more often then not had all of his work contracted out to his friends, or done by the employees, and the bosses agreed to it. It wasn't until the system got seriously hacked and a lot of vital information got stolen that anything was done. What did the company do? They hired the hacker, and our old IT left because he didn't like how the hacker was doing things to his (POS) network - which by the way, runs beautifully now.

In many instances, it doesn't matter how much you know - just how much more you know than the person hiring you, and how good you are at bullshitting them. Morons often make great bullshitters.

HUnewearl_Meira
Sep 25, 2006, 03:12 PM
On 2006-09-22 20:16, Dre_o wrote:

Teacher: "Ms. A, please stop talking!"

GA: "I wasn't talking!"

Teach: "Yes you were! I stood here watching you!"

GA: "Well he started talking to me!"

Teach: "And does that mean you have to continue with him???"

GA: "No but,"

Teach: "Then why did you do it!!!????"

At this point the girl started pouting. Guess what happened less than 5 minutes later? (Yes, I counted)

She should have replied, "You're the psychology teacher. You tell me."

She probably would've gotten kicked out of class or something, but it'd be worth it.

Dre_o
Sep 25, 2006, 04:18 PM
OK, I've given up on trying to define my eternal hatred for all forms of stupid people in existance. How about I provide you with some funny clips from my day instead?

Same Psychology class, same moronic girl:

Teacher: "Didn't I move you yesterday?"

Girl: "No!"

Teach: "Well then move up here" points to table in the middle of the room.

Girl: "I didn't do anything!"

Teach: "I didn't say you did!"

Girl: "Why are you making me move?!"

Teach: "Because I can!!"

Psyclone
Sep 26, 2006, 10:56 AM
On 2006-09-25 14:18, Dre_o wrote:
OK, I've given up on trying to define my eternal hatred for all forms of stupid people in existance...

First, I fully empathize.

Second, your hatred for all forms of stupid people in existence is called "misanthropy (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?r=2&q=misanthropy)." http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

As an ex-teenager and an avid, amatuer “socio'anthropo'psycologist”… I watch people and wonder what in the hell they’re thinking and doing and why… I have my own theory about the problem with teenagers (and many adults) these days. I call my theory, “Overgrown Children”.

Basically, we (Western culture in general) treat our teenagers like children. It’s no wonder, then, that they behave like children. Anthropologically and historically speaking, this is a relatively new trend. Until the last century or so, nearly every culture across the globe treated teenagers as what they basically are, young adults, not old children.

There are Jewish traditions to mark the ascention from childhood to manhood and womanhood around the ages of 13-14. The “Debutant Ball” was traditionally an introduction of young women into society at the age of 16, signifying that they were now elegible for suitors (i.e.: to be courted and wed). Loretta Lynn was married at the age of 13 in 1947. When she became at grandmother at 17, her oldest child was 14.

What’s changed? Technology.

I believe the differences between the historical and modern treatment of young adults has been caused, primarily, by the complexity of modern society caused by our technological revolution. A century ago, a young man with basic literacy and math skills could, generally, find gainful employment or had the basic skills to provide for himself and even a family, thus functioning as an independent adult. Generally, a young woman learned the basic skills she needed to get married, start, and raise a family and run a household, or seek employment in the (few) fields generally open to women (school marm, librarian, nurse, seamstress, etcetera).

In short, young adults generally had, at the very least, the basic knowledge and life skills necessary to be socially independent individuals by the age of 12-15. Now, however, with the complexity introduced to our culture with computer technology and whatnot, it takes an average of 10 years (in our pathetic government education system) of formal education for individuals to learn just enough to be basically functional as a socially independent individual.

Consequently, children are dependent upon their parents for shelter and sustenance far later into life than they have been in previous history. Thus, parents, and by extension, the culture, by and large, treats them like children even when they’ve grown into young adults.

Phsyiologically and psychologically, teenagers are not children. They naturally tend to seek and desire greater freedom, autonomy, and responsibility. However, sociologically, they are still treated as children and their freedom and autonomy is greatly constrained and responsibility is meted out only in small or moderate doses.

It’s no wonder, then, that so many teenagers remain childlike well into “adulthood” -- they haven’t been expected to grow-up (yet), much less taught how to be young-adults -- or rebel against those constraints.