PDA

View Full Version : What is FLCL?!

Eauijhkuu
Sep 23, 2006, 05:09 PM
Salutations World.

Eauijhkuu here.

Yeah. I know it's a anime (One that totally kicks butt at that, even though it is only 6 episodes long).

But what is Furi Kuri/Fooly Cooly, to you? Are we watching a product of crazed loonie japanese artists on crack? Or is there more aesthetic beauty behind the penwork of this satirically delicious symbolic cartoon?

I want to know what you all think of FLCL. Is it dope? Is it whack? Is it out of this world?
Post your ideas and thoughts or answers here.

Leviathan
Sep 23, 2006, 05:12 PM
It was cool, I liked it alot. Its just to bad that it was TOO short.

RoninJoku
Sep 23, 2006, 08:05 PM
That's something I wondered as well... And I looked and looked for some sort of deep symbolism or allegorical nuance, but the series was just a little too wacky for me to draw any real conclusions... I would need to watch it through a couple more times before I tried to state what it's purpose really is... But I know something must be there...

It was definitely a good anime experience... Always something new and interesting... And the animation quality was a real treat.

Tetsuro
Sep 23, 2006, 08:13 PM
What I got from it was that one should think for themsleves, and not let the megacorporations control your brain.

Aisha_Clan-Clan
Sep 23, 2006, 08:51 PM
I like it alot. Havn't seen it in in some time though.

Foxix
Sep 23, 2006, 09:26 PM
A lot of people just think its flat out wierd... because well it is. But like the old adult swim cards used to say "this show will change your life" and they are right to some extent because everyone gets something different out of it. I like to look for subtle details that people tend to miss throughout the series, like lord canti trying to repair his own head. However, the level of strangeness can be too far out there for some... I know lots of people that can't watch it just because its so spaztic.

I also think its neat how the manga and the anime are so different from eachother that they are barely the same series.

Eauijhkuu
Sep 24, 2006, 12:11 AM
Personally.

What I drew from FLCL out of the satirical insanity was a fight of innocence vs puberty or childhood to adulthood.
There was a great deal of inuendo in the series that drew to this conclusion, and is probably one of the strongest themes of the whole series.

Another thing I got from FLCL is that women are manipulative. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Blueberry
Sep 24, 2006, 08:05 AM
Yeah, I think you've got it now. FLCL is pretty crazy, and original to boot. There are too few manga/anime that are like that.

Polly
Sep 24, 2006, 11:48 AM
A show you turn your brain off to enjoy. Plain and simple. Didn't do that the first time and didn't enjoy it much at all.

Eihwaz
Sep 24, 2006, 03:34 PM
Fooly Cooly is a lot easier to understand than most people would have you believe. It's about growing up in a small town where nothing much happens. Being a filthy-minded deviate ( http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif ), I completely love the veritable flood of sexual inneundo in it. Phallic imagery? Check. Metaphorical orgasms? Check!

It's definitely one of my favorite anime. I love the art, the story, the humor, the action, and the excellent soundtrack.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Eihwaz on 2006-09-24 13:35 ]</font>

Blitzkommando
Sep 24, 2006, 08:38 PM
I found it as a parody to end all parodies in anime. Sure it is about a boy reaching manhood but I also see it as pretty much what it is at face value, a long line of blatanlty obvious innuendos and parodies that somehow fits together into being something not overdone and still retains the comedy.

Eauijhkuu
Sep 24, 2006, 11:37 PM
Yeah. It is a satire to anime.
But not just to anime alone http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

I love the Southpark spoof. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Deathscythealpha
Sep 25, 2006, 05:59 AM
I basically saw the chaos of growing up and going through puberty. Everything changes for Naota very quickly. Some of it scares him, some of it wierds him out and some of it leaves him confused, but whatever happens it seems he has to (reluctantly) go through it. Childhood innocence is gone by the end of the series for Naota, and theres no going back.

Ohg it was whacky crazy fun as well, but the Journey Towards Manhood is one of the underlying themes there.

On 2006-09-23 19:26, Foxix wrote:
I also think its neat how the manga and the anime are so different from eachother that they are barely the same series.

The manga left me a bit cold. It was the first FLCL related thing I got my hands on and there was a lot of 'dark' scenes in it that made me wonder why the series was getting called funny. The second book actually really depressed me as it didnt explain somethings that the anime did and made them feel really...evil. But man, was the art in that book great.

Kevino
Sep 26, 2006, 09:07 AM
I miss that show

Leihyah
Sep 26, 2006, 06:51 PM
Wow. Just wow~ http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Wyndham
Sep 26, 2006, 07:48 PM
I own the manga, and I think it's hilarious. I got it 3 years ago, and I'm still not tired of it.

BigGoldRobot
Sep 26, 2006, 10:32 PM
Furi Kuri is the anime that I never get tired of I can watch it again and again and always find something new or just sit back and relax to the sensory explosion going on while Pillows music plays in the background. But when I first saw it my impression was that it is just a story of growing up and finding your niche in the world. Albeit without robots coming out of your head.

As for the anime parody to end all anime parodies check out Excel Saga...dear god.

Kevino
Sep 27, 2006, 08:52 AM
i wish i could beat people in the head with a guitar