PDA

View Full Version : Topic: Forum Moderation RE: Moving Topics

Psyclone
Sep 26, 2006, 10:05 AM
With all due respect for the dilligent moderators that keep these boards civil and generally very convenient to use, this is a little ridiculous.

First, I recently (2006-09-13) posted a query in the General Forum. As I was preparing to go online with PSO, I was interested in a matter of PSO rules, specifically banned items. So I posted a request for a list of Items Banned Online (http://pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=119081&forum=4&max_posts=21).

It was not a discussion on item statistics, drop rates, Section ID finds or anything specifically relevant to the “Mag, Quest, Item and Section ID” foru. Nor was it a discussion of cheating or cheaters. It was a general discussion of online rules and item restrictions.

Since there is not a forum for discussing online ettiquette and “rules” (such as banned items), I put the topic in the most appropriate forum, the “General” forum. Within three responses, however, it was moved to the “Cheaters” forum. Nothing in the title, the original post, or the original three responses discussed cheating or implied discussion of cheating in any way.

Just yesterday (2006-09-25), I posted another topic, “ Newbie Question - Weapons with Red Name (http://pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=119841&forum=4&start=0&15#1)”, in the “Mag, Quest, Item and Section ID” forum asking a specific question about a weapon I’d received online. I was asking, specifically, what kind of weapon it was and wondered if it was legit.

It turned out to be an S-Rank weapon and Dhylec pointed me to Battle and C-Mode guides for more information on S-Rank weapons. Suddenly, the topic was moved to the “Battle and C-Mode” forum. Based upon the information provided, specifically the naming of S-Rank weapons, I surmised that my unnamed weapon in question must not be legitimate. Very shortly after I mentioned that, my topic got move again to the “Cheaters” forum.

It was not a discussion about battle mode or challenge mode. And it was not a discussion about cheating or cheaters. It was a discussion about a particular item, specifically asking “what is it?” and “is it legit?”.

I understand and respect the desire and need to keep topics, well, on-topic and appropriate to the forum. If a finctional short story is posted in the “General” forum, by all means move it to “FanFic”.

However, just because a post peripherally mentions cheaters or cheating, something related to challenge mode, FSOD, or whatnot does not mean that the main topic of the post belongs in any of those categories. For instance, discussing and comparing the capabilities of S-Rank weapons is an item discussion not a challenge mode discussion, regardless of the fact that they are challenge mode prizes. Alternatively, a discussion on how to earn an S-Rank weapon is a challenge mode topic.

Please pay more attention to the main topic of the post before moving it. And, if there is an automated application that moves topics based upon text/word indexing and rules (e.g.: if the word “hacked” is in a post, the topic gets moved to “Cheaters”), please tweak the filter or change it to flag topics for review rather than automatically relocating them.

Thanks you.

T0m
Sep 26, 2006, 11:39 AM
This should be moved to Site Related. (http://www.pso-world.com/viewforum.php?forum=6) http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Zarbolord
Sep 26, 2006, 11:59 AM
*Sniff*
That was.. beautiful!

Solstis
Sep 26, 2006, 01:16 PM
Hack, cheat, hey, do mags reduce drop rates?

http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

See, the real trick is to not make topics. Can't be moved then!

geewj
Sep 26, 2006, 04:14 PM
You've got to keep in mind that moving topics isn't just to keep the forums clean. They also move them becuase your question is most likely to be answered correctly in the appropriate forum. And the mods have been around for a while, and know which forum that is most likely to happen in for a given topic.

Who is going to know more about which items are currently banned than the people who frequent the cheaters forum?

And the other topic being moved twice sounds like a great thing to happen. It means as more was found out about your specific question it was kept up with by the staff and moved to the best place for it. 'The item you were asking about ended up being an S-Rank? Oh, well people in the C-Mode area know the most about S-Ranks. Oh it's an illegal S-Rank? Well only people in Cheaters are going to have information on illegal items.' And so on.

HUnewearl_Meira
Sep 26, 2006, 04:34 PM
geewj is right, y'know. If we moved topics around just to be asses, this would be in Site Related by now, if not FKL.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: HUnewearl_Meira on 2006-09-26 14:34 ]</font>

Psyclone
Sep 26, 2006, 05:56 PM
geewj and HUnewearl_Meira > Thanks for your feedback!

I certainly did not factor in the likelihood of better answers by topic nor did I intend to disparage your job performance. I apologize for making myself look like an ass.

Thanks for the good work!

Nogatorr
Sep 26, 2006, 06:00 PM
Heh, FKL. Anyone with a topic moved there should feel ashamed of himself, unless said topic was posted with intention of it being moved.