PDA

View Full Version : Can a computer actually explode?

DavidNel
Sep 26, 2006, 05:23 PM
Just always wanted to know. My friend is building his computer, and I forgot to tell him to buy fans.... Even without fans, it should work... a little. But even so, can your computer just all of the sudden start shakeing, then burst into flames?

Dhylec
Sep 26, 2006, 06:10 PM
The computer parts [cpu, graphic card, etc] can generate a lot of heat. Overheating is never a good thing.. for anything.

If you can afford a computer, don't ignore the cooling components. It's like having an extra-large pair of pants without a belt to hoist them. ;]

DavidNel
Sep 26, 2006, 06:15 PM
Ha, yeah I know, but I forgot to tell Matt (the kid who needs the new computer)... I know all about over-heating... personally, but I've never seen a computer actually explode. Hehe, maybe if you don't put the heat synch on... I'm going to love helping Matt with this.

VioletSkye
Sep 26, 2006, 11:43 PM
It won't explode. Most motherboards will shut the pc down if it gets too hot. Worst case scenario is you will fry your CPU. If he is buying the parts separately I can tell you that most all cases come with a case fan and the CPU's (Intel and AMD) generally come with a fan and heatsink.

Blitzkommando
Sep 27, 2006, 12:05 AM
My father's had many a computer catch fire and smoulder into a puddle of plastic due to improper cooling and maintenance. All of the cases were attributed to dust buildup and insufficient cooling. So, while it is very unlikely to explode, the parts can get extremely hot and can catch fire if not properly taken care of.

There are a number of graphics cards today that in poor cooling will hit 60 Celsius (140 Farenheit) sitting idle and as high as 105 Ceslius (nearly 220 Farenheit) under full load. Mind you these are the top end cards (X1900 XT/ XTX and 7900 GTX as well as a number of older cards that were ultra-high end in their day.) Processors can get fairly warm as well.

My current situation involves a graphics card that pumps all of it's heated air back into the case which is causing my south bridge chipset to overheat. My computer then crashes and I am forced to restart. I've been able to counteract this pretty much (although it still happens) by adding a fourth 120 mm fan. (3 expel air, 1 intakes although the power supply technically intakes as well and also has a 120 mm fan)

So, don't depend on just what these companies provide, make sure you have additional cooling precautions yourself. Afterall, it is better to spend another $20 on some fans to reduce temperatures by as much as 25% (sometimes more, most of the time less) than it is to spend another couple hundred on a new motherboard, processor, or graphics card.

Kie
Oct 26, 2006, 09:25 AM
wouldnt say it would blow up but catchfire or shut down and stop working

SephYuyX
Oct 26, 2006, 09:27 AM
The CPU can explode, ive seen one blow out the back of the mobo and metal case, but its very very rare and you have to treat it like a red headed step child.

Wickerman
Oct 26, 2006, 10:42 AM
If you take the right precautions and don't install plastic explosives onto the inside of your case, you should be Okay Dokay.