PDA

View Full Version : Halo RTS

dude3282
Sep 27, 2006, 09:36 PM
They call it Halo Wars. http://www.halowars.com . No, this is not a joke, it's confirmed by Bungie. I watched the trailer a few times, and it is pretty sweet. Sure, it's pre-rendered, but even if just the cutscenes are anything like that, it should be hot stuff. It's made by the people who made Age of Empires, so the game can't suck too badly, right?

Bungie Story (http://www.bungie.net/News/TopStory.aspx?link=bungieatx06 )

Last time I was an active member here, there was a lot of anti-Xbox sentiment, but I figure since PSU is going to the 360 you guys would probably be interested in this too.

Atayin
Sep 27, 2006, 09:55 PM
I felt like I was the only person who was sick of hearing about Halo until I found out how much they hate it in Japan. Boy, that was a relief. The gaming motherland itself acknowledges both Halo and it's console as bottom sellers and not worth their time/money.

Over the course of about 2 years, I couldn't go to a party or a friend's house without having to join the guys in a game of Halo and hear them try to explain to me how "Revolutionary" using vehicles in an FPS is. Try Tribes, or Tribes 2, among some of the greatest classic FPS ever made you morons.

Woah.. I got kinda sidetracked. Okay. [/rant]

Anyways, as for the vid.. The Halo Wars trailer is pretty awesome for a short CGI movie, but where's the gameplay footage? I'm not totally closed off to the idea of liking a Halo game some day, but I won't be impressed with flashy promotional trailers like this.

I hate to be a downer. Halo isn't by any means a BAD game. I just think it's sickeningly overrated. Regardless, a ton of people in the US are crazy about it, and in some places it deserves respect.. but I'm far from convinced Halo Wars will be worth the hype.

Polly
Sep 27, 2006, 10:06 PM
I felt like I was the only person who was sick of hearing about Halo until I found out how much they hate it in Japan. Boy, that was a relief. The gaming motherland itself acknowledges both Halo and it's console as bottom sellers and not worth their time/money.

And almost every other game either made in or directed toward the west.

An old Japanese review I read for Metroid Prime shortly after it was released said "This is one of those games where you're looking through the hero's eyes and you shoot things and is violent. They like those a lot in America...yeah" or something to that extent. Think that's the one that sticks out in my mind concerning their bias toward games from the outside.

ABDUR101
Sep 27, 2006, 10:07 PM
Considering Halo was supposed to be an RTS from the get-go, yeah, high hopes for it. Infact, now that there have been afew Halo's released, the units you control in this game won't feel so.. 'cheap'. We've all built hordes of infantry, tanks and aircraft and sent them off into oblivious rushes of devastation and they've never stood out, but now when we build a warthog, we can go "Hell yeah, first warthog! ..now go wait over there while I build twenty more.."

All kidding aside, yeah, looking forward to see how it shapes up. Can never judge a book by it's cover, nor a movie by it's hype, we're gamers, so lets wait for the fucking meat and potatoes before we start putting it down.

On 2006-09-27 19:55, Atayin wrote:

I don't know about you, but considering alot of the shit I've seen churned out from Japan that hasn't gotten released anywhere else, I can honestly say fuck their opinion on FPS or games with violence. Anything not Japanese is usually not all that great in Japan.

Lets all go play a fighting game where the goal is to get the most panty shots(literally, this is an actual game. Abunch of lolita-ish stereotypes fighting and you get bonus' for getting panty shots.) Dunno about you, but I'd rather be looked down upon for being violent, than looked down upon for oogling at pixel panty shots.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ABDUR101 on 2006-09-27 20:14 ]</font>

Atayin
Sep 27, 2006, 10:13 PM
On 2006-09-27 20:06, Triela wrote:

And almost every other game either made in or directed toward the west.

An old Japanese review I read for Metroid Prime shortly after it was released said "This is one of those games where you're looking through the hero's eyes and you shoot things and is violent. They like those a lot in America...yeah" or something to that extent. Think that's the one that sticks out in my mind concerning their bias toward games from the outside.

Right. I do appreciate that they're very biased in Japan, but Metroid Prime still sold.

Japan being biased doesn't add up to Halo automatically living up to its hype in the U.S..- which, believe it or not- was my point.

I recall the game being referred to as mediocre by so many until it hit mainstream and became "THE GREATEST GAME OF ALL TIME" and people actually camped outside of game stores to pick up it's sequel. I don't doubt that people will go nuts over the next game as well.

Polly
Sep 27, 2006, 10:38 PM
Halo did nothing for me that better FPSs hadn't already done years before xD An okay way to waste an afternoon but nothing I was totally nuts over.

</end opinion>

<topic continue here>

Dangerous55
Sep 27, 2006, 11:41 PM
I have played alot of FPSs, one of my favorite genres. Halo blew me away just like Goldeneye did. Halo 2 was very good also. I am not saying that because of hype, or anything. I actually like it, I don't care if the Japanese or Armenians do or how well it sells. It is a game, and Halo and Halo 2 are very good games.

Play what you like and shut the hell up, there is no best anything.

P.S. Screw the Japanese.

Oh yeah, and I hope this game is more like Rome: Total War than like AOE. I love AOE, but it is all math and horribly unrealistic.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dangerous55 on 2006-09-27 21:43 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dangerous55 on 2006-09-27 21:44 ]</font>

Skett
Sep 28, 2006, 12:25 AM
Hopefully Halo Wars will be good. Since it will supposedly (I'm not sure if it way confirmed) take place before Halo 1, I'm going to be very interested to see how close the developers stick with the material written in Halo: Fall of Reach novel.

And since when is Japan the gaming motherland? Wouldn't that be USA?

Mwabwetumba
Sep 28, 2006, 01:04 AM
Got both Halo and Halo 2 on their respective release dates, love them both to death and cant wait for number 3 to pop into the stores...and now an RTS is coming aswell!? Even better!