PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever won a contest?

Alielle
Sep 29, 2006, 09:17 PM
I'm talking about random drawing magazine contests and the like, online or otherwise. I always see a bunch of cool crap to win in Nintendo Power but I never hear about anyone winning any of it. I think it's all rigged so they can keep sending me junk mail, or they're at least in cahoots with the USPS to make people buy more stamps.

watashiwa
Sep 29, 2006, 09:39 PM
Nope. =(

RoninJoku
Sep 29, 2006, 10:08 PM
Never really submitted anything to a magazine... Nor have I ever really won any noteworthy contests. Meh...

Dhylec
Sep 29, 2006, 10:09 PM
I tried to enter & play all kind of contests, from cereal to magazine mail-in. Never won a thing, just wasting my stamps.

Alielle
Sep 29, 2006, 11:08 PM
I consumed so many boxes of Corn Pops to get Star Wars stuff back in the day... :/

DonRoyale
Sep 29, 2006, 11:23 PM
I won a tournament on Pojo, a gaming site, for "Most Inventive Pojo-Based Yu-Gi-Oh! Card".

You'd have pissed yourself if you were to see the entry.

The prize was a card signed by the mod of all mods of Pojo, so yeah, it still counts as a won contest.

http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Squall179
Sep 29, 2006, 11:56 PM
WOn a contest in fifth grade for a free trip to McDonalds.

Sinue_v2
Sep 29, 2006, 11:58 PM
Every time I check my Email....

KojiroAK
Sep 30, 2006, 12:13 AM
Won a Game Cube with Metroid Prime (metroid prime pack) into a game mag. (N-Zone)

Blitzkommando
Sep 30, 2006, 02:31 AM
I never bothered to enter any of those silly contests. Then again, I rarely, if ever, saw anything that I wanted either.

geewj
Sep 30, 2006, 05:47 AM
I know a guy who won the mother of all contests, the lottery.

He worked in my office building, that is until he won. I guess $15/hr isn't as apealing once you have 63 Million Dollars.

Sayara
Sep 30, 2006, 08:46 AM
On 2006-09-29 21:58, Sinue_v2 wrote:

YES.

Actually when i was a kid, i won a box filled with Disney Books!

Luis
Sep 30, 2006, 09:16 AM
I won a Super Mario Bros 3 contests when i was 12

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Sep 30, 2006, 09:22 AM
On 2006-09-29 21:56, Squall179 wrote:
WOn a contest in fifth grade for a free trip to McDonalds.

That reminded me I:

Won a $5 gift certificate to McDonalds for an Art submission in 10th grade.

Mmm, hamburgas.

Neith
Sep 30, 2006, 10:41 AM
I won a competition in an old Playstation Magazine (PS Pro)- the final issue too http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Won a PSOne (the small version), and a copy of Driver 2- I'd half completed it before anyone had bought it http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

Apart from that, I haven't won anything else.

CupOfCoffee
Sep 30, 2006, 12:32 PM
My parents won a couple thousand bucks in the lottery when I was about two, but that's about it...

I always used to scramble get a tape into the VCR and hit the record button when the commercial for sending off to win a Sega Saturn with NiGHTS would come on, but I was never fast enough. And the commercial went by so quick, it was impossible to get the address without recording, haha. Never won, but man. Good times.

Wyndham
Sep 30, 2006, 05:29 PM
our family won a digital camera in a church raffle.

Otis_Kat
Sep 30, 2006, 07:12 PM
I won an Xbox 360 from Every 10 Minutes http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Daikarin
Sep 30, 2006, 07:40 PM
When I was around 10-13. I won my original Playstation. Still back at my parents' house, dusty and all... Good times.

FIDELCASTRO
Sep 30, 2006, 11:57 PM
i've won some if auditions count.

i also won the right to name the school spirit club.

i won an election...

as for real contests, i won $20 to a tutoring academy once.

Kevino
Oct 2, 2006, 08:49 AM
i won a penny once!

Tystys
Oct 2, 2006, 11:19 AM
On 2006-09-29 21:58, Sinue_v2 wrote:

Lucky. Everytime I check my email, that same creepy dude who wants to increase my penis size keeps flooding my inbox with them, http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Alucard_Zer0
Oct 2, 2006, 12:21 PM
yeah nothing fancy, won a couple GodEmperor 23 buttons. but i wear them with pride

navci
Oct 2, 2006, 12:54 PM
No, never. I am the kinda person that never win contests.
One time when I was much younger, a friend and I each were given a book of draw tickets to fill it up. She won grand prize and like a few maller one. I won nothing.

HUnewearl_Meira
Oct 2, 2006, 01:56 PM
I find that if I really want accomplish something based on luck, I can make it happen. When I was going to the local JC, a radio station came out with a wheel thinger to spin to see if you get a prize. It was divided up into something like 32 slices, landing on 4 of which would win you a CD. I decided to try something out, and just watched people for a while before I tried to spin it, myself. I watched a guy and a couple of young women spin it, leaving it entirely up to the universe to decide whether or not they'd win. Then I was offered a chance to spin, and I turned it down, opting to let someone else go, first. After I saw this fellow spin, having now seen one person win and several other people lose, I stepped up, considered my spin carefully and went for it. It stopped precisely where I wanted it to, and thus, I got a demo CD for a band I wasn't terribly interested in listening to. I didn't honestly care about the prize. I just wanted to see if I could spin the wheel so precise as to stop it specifically where I wanted.

Another occasion was in rolling up a character for Jared_T's brother's (Jamas's) homebrewed RPG, which we haven't played in quite some time. His game was loosely based on concepts from the Marvel universe, as well as several Fantasy settings. Essentially, he took Marvel's concept of mutants, added Fantasy races such as Elves, Vampires and faeries, and borrowed Robert Jordan's concept of "The Weave" from the Wheel of Time series to explain magic.
So anyway, creating a mutant in his game was based on rolling dice first for your stats, then against a chart for your mutations-- quantity, beneficial mutations and flaws. I ended up rolling near the maximum for all my stats, and when it came time to roll for mutations, I basically chose what mutations I wanted. His beneficial mutations ended up being a combination that renders him very nearly unstoppable (Super-strength, Regeneration, Underwater-breathing, hidden spikes), while his mutant flaws didn't actually impede him at all, in fact enforcing the character concept I was going with (Unusual size, strange eye color, Unusual facial features, and the escape opportunity on the chart, "None"). So he had an absurdly high Strength stat, which coupled with "Unusual size" meant that he showed every bit of it. Considering that the malignant mutations chart included things to lessen certain abilities, bring stats down and stuff, I'd say that I did quite well. The dice obeyed me, and the end result was a character that basically couldn't be taken down under the rules of that game's system. It was incredible.

Then I locked my keys in my truck that night, with the lights on. Sucked.

I did participate in one of those mail-order contests, though. They just kept sending me back more crosswords to do, and asking for another five bucks. I figure that by the time you've won anything, you've mostly paid for it all, anyway.

Kevino
Oct 3, 2006, 08:11 AM
I find that if I really want accomplish something based on luck, I can fail pretty hard-core. It's a lot eaiser than you'd think! So you want to win something in a scratch game, so you scratch of 5 and get 4 of the little thingies and you are supposed to get 20 bucks for that. So what do you do? Leave it on the tabel while you try to find a phone to call in with, sounds normal untill your little brother picks it up and scratches of 5 more of the boxes because you didn't keep it with you!

Kizaragu
Oct 3, 2006, 09:15 AM
Thinking about it, I've never won a competition but have been runner-up a couple times.

Entered a Mission Impossible competition in smash hits magazine back in the day (Just some stupid multiple choice question) and ended up winning a T-shirt and some film memerobillia. Wasn't even a fan of M:I, then or now really! I went to see the film shortly afer as I felt I should. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

Another time was when I was on vacation with the fams at a holiday site. I was a member of some youth club. That's not the prize as anyone can do that! On the awards ceremony towards the end of the week I came second place in 'most well behaved' member or something? No 'rory the tiger' gold statue for me as I came second, but I was made honorary red coat for the day. Good times. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Always the manly bridesmaid, never the bride. *sob*
Can't complain really.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kizaragu on 2006-10-03 07:25 ]</font>

ZaiV2
Oct 3, 2006, 03:53 PM
Won four tickets to a hockey game from a hockey raffle.

OdinTyler
Oct 4, 2006, 11:05 AM
I dont recall entering a mag contest, so I wouldnt have won anyway. However, I can tell you about someone I used to know. In an old issue of Electronic Gaming Monthly (years back), there was one letter sent in, with artwork on the envelope. You see Guile saying "Sonic Boom!" with a smile on his face. In the background, you see Sonic kinda blown up with Tails next to him, saying "Very funny!" Turns out years later, I wouldve met this guy & he became my coworker for awhile. To prove it, he drew it again for me, completely from memory. It was definitely him! LOL

Sharkyland
Oct 4, 2006, 04:44 PM
Nothing that I can remember.