PDA

View Full Version : Is there a .art file converter / looker ?

AzureBlaze
Oct 1, 2006, 11:57 PM
This is probably strange to request but...

Once upon a time AOL invented its own proprietary picture compression format. Sort of like a mutant .jpg of some kind, probably. This causes the extension .art to come. Like "SonicCool.art" . And one of the versions had this as the mandatory option for saving images. (like when you click n' save, that's your ONLY choice in drop down or it wont save)

So I turned up this ancient archive of stuff I had and it's pretty interesting (from the old days of the web!) but it's riddled with these pesty .arts! and nothing on this pc will open them/look at them. I figure there's got to be a utility out there that can crack this code...but searching makes ones that do ascii art thingers because no one's heard of this junky old extension.

Is there such a thing as a .art file convertrer (makes them into jpg or so) or at least a looker that will show them to you? I mean without putting aol anywhere near a pc, yikes!

Yes yes, I did own aol at one point, that was before it went to heck, but after it got a bad rap. Any clue is appriciated, as I am totally curious about some of this stuff!

Aisha_Clan-Clan
Oct 2, 2006, 12:02 AM
Internet Exploder can still view them. At least I was able to. Never even had aol.

Blitzkommando
Oct 2, 2006, 12:05 AM
http://www.dwightblackburn.com/aol.htm

http://filext.com/detaillist.php?extdetail=ART

I keep FilEXT bookmarked as I sometimes need to find a program to open a certain file type and they have a fairly decent list of places to check out for more info on the various file types.

Internet Exploder can still view them. At least I was able to. Never even had aol.

The procedure discussed on this page no longer works. Due to "A remote code execution vulnerability exists in the way AOL ART images are handled", in the latest Windows Security update (July 7, 2006) , the AOL .ART file filter has been disabled to protect your system from this threat, which is deemed to be "High Risk" by Microsoft.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Norvekh on 2006-10-01 22:06 ]</font>

Aisha_Clan-Clan
Oct 2, 2006, 12:10 AM
Ah, didn't know that. Been using Firefox for some time now. =^.^=

KojiroAK
Oct 2, 2006, 12:11 AM
Did you already try IrfanView?
It can handle pretty much Pictureformats.

But actualy i don't know if .art is one of them.

Aisha_Clan-Clan
Oct 2, 2006, 12:12 AM
I don't think it does work for art files.

AzureBlaze
Oct 2, 2006, 12:25 AM
This is really interesting!
I went to the links, and one says that IE won't do it any more because of some security thinger, but when I tried it with my IE anyway, (File>Open>dropdown box-extension) .ART is listed in there! So I figured it'd work like Aisha says...but it loads everything as that red X anyway. If they took the looker out of IE, why'd they keep that in the dropdown box?

Filext provides info re-assuring everyone that aol did it, but it doesn't seem to recomend a program to convert or open them. The related sites lead to aol itself, and a place that restates the bogus IE method, and also a guy who tells you to buy something for forty bucks thats mega-outdated.

VioletSkye
Oct 2, 2006, 12:34 AM
It also said to try the Avant browser. Did you try using that?

Sinue_v2
Oct 2, 2006, 01:20 AM
EDIT: Nevermind, I found some software called the Graphic Workshop Professional which apperantly can read and convert files with the .art extension.
http://www.mindworkshop.com/alchemy/gwspro.html
It should be shareware, but on a limited basis. You might have to buy the whole program to get full functionality. *Shrug*

Sort of like a mutant .jpg of some kind, probably.

Wouldn't .gif be a better compairison? .gif's were an old Compuserve graphic format that happened to become a standard, despite Compuserve itself dying out. JPG was created by a consortium right? Joint Photographic Group or something. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sinue_v2 on 2006-10-01 23:29 ]</font>