PDA

View Full Version : Computers power light is just blinking......

Nuclearranger
Oct 3, 2006, 04:25 PM
Well i got my X1900XT for PSU/other games and I pluged it in and it got to the point the Usermenu is at. And then the screan never turned blue and now the power light on my computer is just blinking yellow.....

Cigaro
Oct 3, 2006, 04:28 PM
It's possessed.

BURN IT

Just kidding. Fire hurts your computer.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Cigaro on 2006-10-03 14:30 ]</font>

Nuclearranger
Oct 3, 2006, 04:31 PM
On 2006-10-03 14:28, Cigaro wrote:
It's possessed.

BURN IT

Just kidding. Fire hurts your computer.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Cigaro on 2006-10-03 14:30 ]</font>

Um Im getting worried.... Well I guess if i hold down the button for 5 seconds it stops blinking but if i Turn it on it starts blinking...

Cigaro
Oct 3, 2006, 04:32 PM
Reboot and try, try again. Rebooting fixes many problems for no reason.

Also, the blinking light may just be hard drive activity. I do not know your computer and every computer deals with displaying such information differently.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Cigaro on 2006-10-03 14:33 ]</font>

Nuclearranger
Oct 3, 2006, 04:40 PM
Lets try this.... The computer wont even turn on far enough to get to the BIOS...

Krltplps
Oct 3, 2006, 04:45 PM
Power supply could have gone bad, video card could have died, etc. Is the motherboard beeping in any kind of set pattern? Is the light just blinking on and off or is it in a set pattern? If you have your bios / motherboard book it will probably tell you what the blinking means, and what is wrong.

-Crokar-
Oct 3, 2006, 04:47 PM
you could always call technical support

Nuclearranger
Oct 3, 2006, 04:52 PM
Well i pluged in another power supply and now it is a consistant yellow so i think i blew out my powersupply god damnit....

Im going to wait for violet to answer since he knows the crap about hardware.... heh that was an expensive power supply too....

Kyuu
Oct 3, 2006, 06:01 PM
If your computer wouldn't boot to BIOS previously, and now boots fine with a new power supply, then the power supply probably was your problem. I'm not sure I'm understanding the exact chain of events you're describing.

If the problem started when you installed your new videocard, then it would seem more likely that the videocard is the cause. It's possible that the videocard is installed incorrectly and/or is bad. Although, there is the possibility that your old power supply doesn't have enough wattage to support the new videocard. A good first step to help with troubleshooting is to post some basic information about your system:

Motherboard (brand and model, if possible, or the make of the computer, i.e. Dell, Gateway, etc.)
CPU (brand, model, clock speed)
Memory (type, brand, quantity)
Your Old Videocard (brand, model, amount of RAM)
New Videocard
Your Old Power Supply (brand, wattage rating)
New Power Supply

And what exact behavior is your computer exhibiting? Did it simply not boot even to the POST, and just left a blank screen? Did the computer make any beeps during start-up? Are your fans and components turning on when you press the power button?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kyuu on 2006-10-03 16:04 ]</font>

HUnewearl_Meira
Oct 3, 2006, 06:04 PM
I expect you'll get better results in Tech Support. Away we go!

Himmelhand
Oct 3, 2006, 08:05 PM
I had the same problem, though with a different model of computer. Turns out it fixed when I hit my computer in the right spot. My parents were curious what I was doing punching my computer, but oh well. I never did figure out what the problem was, and you may not want to punch your computer, but as a last resort...