PDA

View Full Version : What's the Big Deal?

KnghtzofRnd415
Nov 7, 2002, 06:21 PM
OK OK, maybe it's just me, but why are there people out there who are really anticipating the release of PSO for the XBox? I see the one that is out for the Gamecube right now as the most amazing thing ever. Sure, the Xbox may have the Xbox live microphone thing, but is that really that cool? I don't know about you guys, but I would find it a little annoying after a while talking to other people. Maybe I'm just use to typing all the time. Also, this may sound dumb, but having an extra character would seem somewhat...unbalanced to me. I think each class should have the same amount of characters. Lastly, why are so many people upset about PSO Ep. I & II coming out earlier for Game ube, when we all knew a long time ago that it would be hitting the Gamecube before any other consoles anyhow? Maybe it's just my Nintendo Fanboy/Bill Gates loathing mind. Well, I figure I would put in my 2 cents.

fahdiz
Nov 7, 2002, 06:33 PM
The people anticipating the Xbox version are, for the most part, folks who already own an Xbox and *don't* own a Gamecube. That's really the bottom line. Folks talk about "cool features this" and "new characters that" but what it really boils down to is the fact that they don't own a GC and don't want to own a GC. Xbox owners are just happy that they're actually getting the game without having to buy a second console, and I can understand that.

What irritates me is the constant refrain, "Well, at least we don't have to pay a monthly fee to play PSO on our Xboxes." Um. That's not quite correct. Folks will pay Microsoft's Xbox Live fee in order to play any Xbox games online.

Kent
Nov 7, 2002, 06:42 PM
On 2002-11-07 15:33, fahdiz wrote:
What irritates me is the constant refrain, "Well, at least we don't have to pay a monthly fee to play PSO on our Xboxes." Um. That's not quite correct. Folks will pay Microsoft's Xbox Live fee in order to play any Xbox games online.

True, Xbox Live does come with a price, but it's not monthly until after one year of service.

And it also includes online server for all Xbox Live enabled games, so one fee is being paid for any Xbox Live game you're playing. So indeed, we Xbox users are getting a better deal on PSO.

Saladwood
Nov 7, 2002, 06:43 PM
Actually, the voice communicator is a lot better than typing.

If you don't like the sound of your voice or don't want people knowing what you really sound like, just use a voice mask.

I got on the Xbox beta so I know how good of a system it is.

XBOX HAS THE BEST ONLINE CONSOLE SET UP, EVER.

ABDUR101
Nov 7, 2002, 07:01 PM
Well most people can't afford every next-gen console, and even fewer can afford to take all their next-gen consoles online. It boils down to what can be afforded.

I splurged on a GC and PSO afew days ago, kinda because I wanted a GC anyways, but also because I wanted to get into PSO.

I most likely won't be going online with my GC, it doesn't make much sense to pay for two online services for two consoles, when only one would be getting the most attention.

I've been enjoying PSO on the GC offline, and in split screen with my nephew. And after he gets his GC and I get PSO-X, I'll end up giving him my copy of GC PSO.

But I do agree that X-box owners are getting a better deal for online play. The vast majority, if not all, of the online games for X-box will be under one single monthly fee after the first year, because the servers are owned by Microsoft, they can charge a single rate for their own servers.

Alot better than having your credit card number thrown around and billed for multiple games by multiple companies, right? =)

Everyone bought the system that fit them best, so you can't argue with that.

Nullman
Nov 7, 2002, 07:17 PM
"maybe it's just me, but why are there people out there who are really anticipating the release of PSO for the XBox?"

Maybe because they don't have a Gamecube?

"I see the one that is out for the Gamecube right now as the most amazing thing ever. Sure, the Xbox may have the Xbox live microphone thing, but is that really that cool?"

Yes, it is REALLY that cool! And since the Gamecube has no keyboard....

"Maybe I'm just use to typing all the time."

...on the on-screen keybaord? YUK!

"Also, this may sound dumb, but having an extra character would seem somewhat...unbalanced to me."

Really? How So?

"Lastly, why are so many people upset about PSO Ep. I & II coming out earlier for Game ube"

No one is upset, but they are wondering what is happening with the game since it is DONE, and MS is releasing it not Sega. But since I read that a USB adapter is coming out for the Xbox so that a keyboard can be used with PSO. But, I'll be using the kick ass voice set myself. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

KnghtzofRnd415
Nov 7, 2002, 07:24 PM
I can respect that people got the system they wanted. However, the fact that they got the XBox and are complaining so much about it doesn't make sense. If they wanted it THAT bad, they wouldve got the GC in the first place. Otherwise, I'm sure they can patiently wait for it to hit the xbox when it does next month, or year, or whenever it is coming. Also, I would like to add that it's a major bummer that we won't be seeing the PSO-GC and PSO-XBox owners playing together. WHAT A CRUEL WORLD WE LIVE IN!!!!

VulpesMundi
Nov 7, 2002, 07:30 PM
In my opinion, I think the live chat is a BAD idea for the most part. It'll be okay in a room with people you know, but try going into a lobby filled with retards (which makes up at least 90% of the online community imo) and you'll find out just how annoying it can be. Heck, go over to Yahoo! chat and play around in one of the voice chat rooms. Don't say I didn't warn you. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Vashin
Nov 7, 2002, 07:36 PM
hrmm you know X-box live wont cover EVERY game, star wars galaxy's for X-box and every other system is gonna have a monthly fee OTHER then the one for X-box live. unless SEGA said it as an official announcment that they wont have a monthly fee for X-box version id still watch out. but it is a very good deal none the less. just wish i had an X-box.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Vashin on 2002-11-07 16:38 ]</font>

Sput
Nov 7, 2002, 07:42 PM
I heartily agree vulpes...

To me, voice mixed with fantasy games of any type is a major turn off. Part of what was/is so unique about fantasy mmorpg games (pso included) is that you start recognizing people as their characters, not the other way around... I don't want to play with Chris, Mike, and Tony... I want to play with Kune, Lauranna, and Singa_A01.

Voice pulls you away from the "role-playing" and into crappy ol reality.

Save the voice communication for sports and military fps games.

my 2 cents

Sputnik

ABDUR101
Nov 7, 2002, 08:11 PM
Yes, certain games won't be on MS's servers, thus they will be charged on their own account. However, I'd rather pay a monthly subscription and have multiple games on that account than pay for each and every game. The difference is there, and it is noticable. =)

And also, X-box LIVE has voice masks. Therefore, role playing won't be that hard. Besides, voice chat will immerse you even further, it all just goes into the experience. And please remmeber that you can mute people if you wish, it's very simple. If they are annoying, you merely say "I'm going to ignore you shortly" and if they don't care, then just mute them. Either way if you mute them, they must not have been that important. It's no different than playin C-mode with someone that constantly says "LOL!!" and has emoticons on-screen every few seconds(taking up viewing area).

I think it will be interesting, and it's well worth a try.

Fenix
Nov 7, 2002, 10:51 PM
I think the whole voice chat thing is a really bad idea because like Vulpes said, you will have all the retards just annoying you. If you can mute them then thats good but are you really gonna wanna mute mostly every single person? I think voice chat is good for people that you know but not with strangers. All these people are complaining about not having a keyboard for the Gamecube but the way I see it is now you dont have to talk to all of those annoying people. That person coming up to you and asking you for rares or some thing, I'm not gonna waste my time typing on the in-game keyboard just to tell them off. As for the online fee, I dont see that as a big deal for any systems. Its good that Xbox has a system that you just pay once and can get online with all different kinds of games, but do you really need all those games? With Gamecube if your paying for an online account for every single game that comes out, then thats your own problem. I'm not online with PSO right now and I'm not even sure if I ever will but if I do then that will probably be the only game that I go online with. I have no need to have multiple accounts for different games, I stick with one and when I get bored with that then I move on to another.

Kent
Nov 8, 2002, 04:27 AM
All these people bashing on the Xbox Live voice chat when they haven't even tried it. That's pitiful how closed-minded people can be.

As a beta tester, I can tell you that the voice chat is very good. And surprisingly enough, there aren't that many annoying little fools screaming in the mic. Sure, there are some, but it only takes a couple seconds to mute the person. And when you mute somebody over Xbox Live, they stay muted until you unmute them, seeing as it mutes them by their Gamertag, not by their character name or anything.

Also, a lot of people playing online don't even use voice masks (and I'm one of them). The people that do use voice masks however, usually don't make them annoying, though there are a few, but they can just be muted, then have bad feedback sent to the servers about them. If a player has enough bad reports sent to the server about them, they can be punished.

Reasons for punishment and possible punishments include, but are not limited to:
Spamming/screaming into the mic, refusing to change/remove annoying voice masks, cheating where cheats are not allowed, harassing other players, use of discriminatory remarks, annoying actions in-game, or disrupting the gameplay of others can get your account universally muted (muted across all games, to all players), temporarily suspended, or permanently banned/deleted.

Meaning we won't have to worry about disorderly conduct on the servers.

Sput
Nov 8, 2002, 12:14 PM
Kent,

As a beta tester of XBOX live I can say that the XBL voice chat is very intuitive and is the best of it's kind (RogerWilco eat your heart out).

However, my point wasn't that it sucked or didn't, but that it would detract from the overall mood of PSO online play regardless of platform.

It's pretty sweet for MotoGP and NFL2k3 so far http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif I wish they had a walkie talkie mask for motogp and a helmet mask for nfl2k3.. then it'd be the bomb! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Sput

On 2002-11-08 01:27, Kent wrote:
All these people bashing on the Xbox Live voice chat when they haven't even tried it. That's pitiful how closed-minded people can be.

Nullman
Nov 8, 2002, 12:46 PM
"In my opinion, I think the live chat is a BAD idea for the most part."

You obviously are not an Xbox Live beta tester. I thought the same thing at first. Of all the games I've played and hours I've logged there was one room/one game that I left because it was a bunch of 14 year olds. It was my choice to leave, they were being....well, 14 year olds.

merlin
Nov 8, 2002, 06:27 PM
I ain't no fanboy.

I sell XboXes and Cubes for a living.

I own both. I'll play PSO on both.

I just had a friend come in and ask me which PSO to go with this time.

I told him to stick with it on his Dreamcast.

Agent_Reav
Nov 8, 2002, 07:16 PM
Alot of people nowadays are going multi-console... I own a PS2, Xbox and a PS2 and can say that each system has their own merits... Xbox Live is just such a superior online gaming service that it's hard trying to adapt to Gamecube's no frills online experience. I think my Gamecube will stay busy with Resident Evil 0...

Tigertron
Nov 8, 2002, 07:29 PM
I am a beta testor too. I love the voice chat. When i first ever got on and from then on I have only had about three spammers all of which got bad mput fromt he other ppl in the room. If it gets annoying say you are muting everybody and will only chat by keybaord since we are getting that too. Use the KB in the lobby so you don't get a headache from all the ppl talking and then use voice chat for the actual game since typing h-e-l-p while being killed is kinda pointless.