PDA

View Full Version : Help with capturing movies & pics off PS2

princejake2
Oct 4, 2006, 08:34 PM
How do I do it? What all do I need? Can someone help me out? I'm a complete newb when it comes to this, but I would really like to get the stuff to do so, and learn how. Any help would be appriciated.

VioletSkye
Oct 4, 2006, 08:51 PM
You'll need a capture device of some sort, whether it be an external unit like the Dazzles or an internal tv tuner.

Newegg has a decent assortment of devices:
http://www.newegg.com/ProductSort/SubCategory.asp?SubCategory=47

Blitzkommando
Oct 4, 2006, 10:06 PM
I would like to mention that neither of the external USB capture cards I have used have been able to keep a refresh rate in which I could use for gaming. I say this because I have no television in my room and opt to use my computers as televisions, including using them for game systems. For reference I used a Hauppauge USB 1.1 capture device (which was surprisingly good for being USB 1.1 limited) and the ATI TV Wonder Pro USB 2.0 version. The TV Wonder worked fairly well, but it took a good half a second or so to respond graphically after using the controller on the game system. It may not seem like too much time, but it is enough to hamper your gaming experience tremendously.

I instead opted to buy the ATI TV Wonder Pro (for use in a PCI interface internally). It's not the best capture device certainly, but it gets the job done very well although I don't use the software included as it tends to lag like the USB devices. I use a freeware program called DScaler which has a slew of features and has more configuration ability so in turn provides better quality picture. One thing to mention if you should go with DScaler (which personally for the ability it brings for free I don't see why not) be sure to set the resolution of the capture stream to 640x480 instead of the default 720x480 to get rid of the stretching of the video and screenshots.

For reference the link to the DScaler website is http://deinterlace.sourceforge.net/

princejake2
Oct 5, 2006, 06:27 AM
So what are the options for playing and recording from a television? I really feel stupid about this, but I couldn't find much on Google.

VioletSkye
Oct 5, 2006, 10:40 AM
Run the PS2 through a VCR, DVD Recorder or DVR and record it from there.

princejake2
Oct 5, 2006, 05:40 PM
But I actually need it on my PC.

VioletSkye
Oct 5, 2006, 07:05 PM
See post #2.