PDA

View Full Version : Making a Fonewearl Good. >:C

whiteninja
Oct 5, 2006, 01:26 AM
So, I got a Fonewearl. She nukes. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif (I rarely use her online as a support FO, but she can do that well.)

Lv164, Redria.
About 1250 HP and 3000 TP, max MST.

Red Merge
Yellow Merge
Blue Merge
Psycho Wand
Summit Moon
Aura Field (high stats, near max)
Mark3 5/0/0/195

(I change the Merges out from time to time, but I always have one of each color.)

RA-techs on front buttons.
Resta, Grants, Jellen on the back.

Today I did an offline Ruins run. It took me 50 minutes. Of course, I was raising 3 mags at the time, so I had to make several mag food trips to P2... I could probably do it in about 45 minutes. However, my Ramarl could clear Ruins in 36 minutes, meaning my Foney is 25% slower. That's too slow. I'd like to fix that. I need tips. That's where you guys come in. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Random info stuff:
- I keep the Merges at the top of my item list, so I can quickly switch with ShiftF11 on the keyboard. It really isn't as usefull offline though, and I've been thinking about ditching that, since it may take more time than casting the tech another 2 or 3 times. However, I know alot of the spaws already, so it helps then.
- With Gran Sorcerers, I max out my Foie boost to 30%+30%+20%, then use that. It does more overall damage than Grants. However, Bulclaws are still weak to only Grants. >_.
- I have problems when you get mixed spawns of enemies, since each different type of enemy takes 4-6 casts to kill. If you get Arlan, Merlan, and Del-D all at once, then you can kill them all in about 10-12 techs, if you use the low-weaknesses too.

Non-Ruins stuff:
- When online, I find that I can only get Dal Ra Lie to 1 hit away from dead before he does that whole long cutscene with the dropping rocks on your head. I'm using a Rafoie Merge then (TTF spamming). Is it even possible to finish it off before that? It annoys me to know I am so close.
- EP2 is horrible. Towers is absolutely pititful, even when offline. I've been thinking about using some melee with some good weapons I have, but that woudl mean I need to use buttons for the melee attacks, which really isn't something I can afford, along with having to carry all of those other weapons.

Anyway, there's a hugh "Blah!" of info. Now, give some suggestions! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

rena-ko
Oct 5, 2006, 10:00 AM
not much that you could do besides tagging along with a huct or racl.

CellarDoor
Oct 5, 2006, 01:00 PM
Yeah, I went through a similar thing with my FOney. Started off full-nuke, then I got to ultimate and realized it doesn't work so well solo. Yes, it's possible to clear any ultimate level with a nuking FOney, but it's pretty inefficient, as well as kinda boring =/.

I've found that it's much better to have a HU or RAcast/caseal, as rena said, and play the support role. Support meaning S/D/J/Z/R as well as the occasional megid in ep2 or ep4 and stunning enemies with a well timed Rafoie/Razonde in certain situations (not spamming Rafoie/Razonde, mind you -_-).

I understand that supporting can be boring as well, so my advice to you would be this: for solo play stick to offline mode (duh I'm sure you've realized that http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif).

And another thing... melee FOney = http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif Unless you have THE BEST MELEE WEPS with obscene %s I'd vote against melee. But then again you probably do have the best melee weps with obscene %s =P.

Reading back over this I've realized that there is absolutley no useful information in my post pertaining to your original post... But have fun with the FOney, whatever you may decide to do with her.

FallenAngelV
Oct 5, 2006, 04:19 PM
If you wanted to do something different, you could max out her ATA and have her run around using a Bringer's Rifle / Angel Harp's special all the time. You'd get ripped to pieces, but it'd still be interesting.

A Caduceus might be useful for increasing the power of Grants. And Megid is actually pretty effective against some enemies in Episode II. Other than that, there's not really much advice I can give, other than to spam Gifoie strategically in rooms that you know are about to be filled with Arlans.

PMB960
Oct 5, 2006, 05:35 PM
Here is a hint for beating ruins quickly. Don't stand inside the room. GIfoie, RAzonde, and RAbarta can hit enemies outside of the room very easily after they spawn. Also if you are worried about wasting TP find out with tech does the most damage to more people. Like in caves when there are Ob Lilies and Vulmers. Hit everything with RAfoie instead of using RAzonde since RAfoie does more damage to Ob Lilies than RAzonde does to Vulmers.

whiteninja
Oct 6, 2006, 12:20 AM
CellarDoor says:
Yeah, I went through a similar thing with my FOney. Started off full-nuke, then I got to ultimate and realized it doesn't work so well solo. Yes, it's possible to clear any ultimate level with a nuking FOney, but it's pretty inefficient, as well as kinda boring =/.
Well, it's efficient, and I find it to be a nice change. I haven't used the character in a long time... However, I'd like it to be better. I've made MASSIVE improvements on all of my other characters, but none on this one.

I understand that supporting can be boring as well, so my advice to you would be this: for solo play stick to offline mode (duh I'm sure you've realized that http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif).
I don't find supporting boring, but if I know I'll be doing something where that is crucial, I'd prefer my Fomarl anyway. I do enjoy doing online with my Fonewearl, even when solo, and it's not that hard, it just takes a while. However, that time is greatly reduced by my switching around Merges frequently. It is alot more affective than it is offline.

And another thing... melee FOney = Unless you have THE BEST MELEE WEPS with obscene %s I'd vote against melee. But then again you probably do have the best melee weps with obscene %s =P.
Not the best, but very good. However, I do not see carrying both melee and teching stuff working out very well, and solely meleeing would suck beyond all reason. There are only a few parts where I'd prefer melee over casting.

FallenAngelIV says:
You'd get ripped to pieces,
nothx. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

PMB960 says:
Here is a hint for beating ruins quickly. Don't stand inside the room. GIfoie, RAzonde, and RAbarta can hit enemies outside of the room very easily after they spawn.
That is how to beat it safely, not quickly. I can do it fine without getting beaten up, I need to find out how to beat up the enemies faster.

Mewone
Oct 6, 2006, 02:04 AM
Riddle: If melee =/= melee, then melee will work. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Psyclone
Oct 6, 2006, 02:59 AM
Personally, I've found Gizonde/Gifoie/Rabarta (depending upon the situation), Extra Attack, and Resta on the front buttons with simple techniques on the back buttons to be quite effective. Keep in mind, the FOnewearl gets a boost to her simple techniques.

Additionally, I reorganize my short-cut menu to put the spells in order from Heavy, Normal, and Simple (from the top-down), with Jellen at the very bottom and Anti just above Jellen. Then I just practice R-Y-[and down or up] to get to the specific spell I need at the moment. However, I usually don't bother taking the time or spending the TP to cast Jellen unless I know I cannot finish without getting hit.

I personally don't bother with Grants or Megid. Perhaps I haven't played with either of them enough, but they don't seem to be nearly as effective for their TP costs as the standard elemental spells. Additionally, I rarely use Ra techniques and, when I do, I use the shortcut. Instead, I rely on Gi's for large mobs, switching to Simple techs for individual monsters.

Also, I've generally found that Gi's do more damage than Ra's for less TP, requiring fewer castings and less TP to do the same job. Ra's do seem to have much greater radius though. Of course, I don't have any weapons to boost Ra techs. All I have are the standard elemental boosting weapons (Agni, Dagon, and Indra) and Summit Moon and Magical Piece.

As far as strategy, I've noticed that, on average, Foie affects more monsters than anything else. Gifoie is a staple for me. I'll start casting Gifoie before I enter a room and, after one or two castings, start walking into the room. I continue casting Gifoie, taking a couple steps between each casting. Generally speaking, I can get 4-5 concentric rings going at once. As the monsters close in on me, they get hit by each consecutive fire-ring. Most monsters are dead before they ever get close enough to hit me. The ones coming from farther away (thus getting hit by fewer rings) are usually easy enough to pick off with individual spells. However, I do have to pay attention to the monsters that aren't getting hurt and respond accordingly.

I also use Gifoie to buy myself a little time. If there are monsters close by that I need to cast xxbarta or xxzonde on, I may cast a couple of Gifoie rings before I step into range to cast. As they approach and get hit with the fire-ring, even if it does not hurt them, it stuns them for a moment. That usually buys me enough time to cast one or two of the more effective spells and move before they can hit me.

Saffran
Oct 6, 2006, 03:34 AM
To get staright to the point of the original poster:
Forget Towers
Stop raising mags

I don't see how you'd get any faster.
Seriously, the only thing that could help you killing stuffs faster would be a Demon Raygun with sick hit %. Useful on... anything with high tech resistance, I guess.

Mewone
Oct 6, 2006, 11:12 AM
Solo, a Demon's Raygun only really helps with single, tough enemy killing speed, such as Gibbles, or on enemies that tend to have higher resists. One would use a drastically different strategy when playing solo than in a team of three or four. A team of two is the essential middle-ground between the two styles, depending on how strong your teammate is.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mewone on 2006-10-06 09:12 ]</font>

whiteninja
Oct 6, 2006, 07:24 PM
On 2006-10-06 01:34, Saffran wrote:
To get staright to the point of the original poster:
Forget Towers
Stop raising mags
I'd never try to do any Tower other than offline East Tower with my Fonewearl, soloing.
I need new mags. >_>

@ Psyclone:
Why would you ever use those buttons, etc? What difficulty and level are you? Online or offline?

Feelmirath
Oct 8, 2006, 04:27 AM
If you're going to be spamming ra-techs most of the time, I'd suggest investing in a Magical Piece. The boost really is noticeable, and you could probably cut 5-10 minutes off your time depending on how frequently you use the techs.

rena-ko
Oct 8, 2006, 05:01 AM
another idea would be to settle for seabed runs instead and make her a megid-wielder. that only does the trick if you use megid25+ and preferably a god/tech. but it will plow through stuff easily. besides this you only need your foie boosted to the max, rabarta to keep things calm and youre set for seabed runs.

as far as i remember, this wont work too well in ep1 tho. but its really useful in ep2 spaceship and upwards.

Hrith
Oct 8, 2006, 07:01 AM
I don't see why you'd solo online mode =/
Forces are meant to support a group, if there's no group, play another class.

whiteninja
Oct 8, 2006, 08:05 AM
On 2006-10-08 05:01, Hrith wrote:
I don't see why you'd solo online mode =/
Forces are meant to support a group, if there's no group, play another class.
I only have one Redria, and I don't like to wait around for people to join my games if I'm planning on doing a quest.

Feelmirath says:
If you're going to be spamming ra-techs most of the time, I'd suggest investing in a Magical Piece. The boost really is noticeable, and you could probably cut 5-10 minutes off your time depending on how frequently you use the techs.
Magical Piece boosts Gi-techs, which I use sparingly. Gibarta is utterly useless, Gifoie's damage output does not match Rafoie's (though, it has some uses, it's not a primary damager), and Gizonde's attach range is worse than Razonde's.

Rena-ko says:
another idea would be to settle for seabed runs instead and make her a megid-wielder. that only does the trick if you use megid25+ and preferably a god/tech. but it will plow through stuff easily. besides this you only need your foie boosted to the max, rabarta to keep things calm and youre set for seabed runs.

as far as i remember, this wont work too well in ep1 tho. but its really useful in ep2 spaceship and upwards.
Simple Techs: lv29
Normal Techs: lv29
Hard Techs: lv29 (Rabarta lv30)
Uber Hard Techs: lv28
Support: lv30
+ Devil/Technique

I can do a 1/2 PW3 run, solo, pretty easily, but Megid is rather unreliable. (And the MKB took forever to drop. >_>) It's been a looong time since I did Seabeds runs with her, but I remember it being about 40 minutes with Megid spamming. However, it is also worth less EXP.

Hrith
Oct 8, 2006, 08:54 AM
Young'uns need to learn patience XP

hyperacute
Oct 8, 2006, 11:47 AM
Well, considering you've already maxed your MST, you have the right merges and weapons and, with a devil/technique, your techs are all level 30, I'm not quite sure exactly where there's room for improvement.

I think it comes down to the fact that FOnewearl is not a RAmarl and is never going to be as efficient for solo runs. I solo quite happily (although slowly) with my Foney whenever the servers are quiet and I've just resigned myself to the fact that she'll never be as efficient at clearing levels as my RAcaseal. It's a team game anyway, just tag along with a couple of RAcaseals/RAcasts if you want really fast times...XD

Feelmirath
Oct 8, 2006, 11:50 AM
*Forgets why he said Magical Piece when he meant Psycho Wand, and the fact you already have one of those http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif *

I dunno, PRAKTISS BEING TEH FO?

RadiantLegend
Oct 8, 2006, 11:53 AM
Just hire you a hucast. Im sure there is plenty floating around.

whiteninja
Oct 9, 2006, 12:26 AM
On 2006-10-08 09:47, hyperacute wrote:
I'm not quite sure exactly where there's room for improvement.
I found a spot. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif

Psycho Wand... untekked. That'll be a pain to pipe.
Let's hope for another #37 miracle. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

But no, this is not something I plan on starting ASAP, and giving you daily updates on here. I'll get around to it one day.

CellarDoor
Oct 9, 2006, 01:43 AM
What's the benefit of leaving Psycho Wand untekked? I thought that only affected the special attacks of some weapons.

whiteninja
Oct 9, 2006, 11:10 PM
An untekked Psycho Wand will not drain HP if you are playing on a PSO- disc.

Hrith
Oct 10, 2006, 06:59 AM
or Blue Burst

Saffran
Oct 10, 2006, 07:12 AM
Blue Burst has been patched. The untekked weapons bug is no more.
Hence why I stopped hunting Lavis Cannon, for instance.

But on the "go faster" thing : 40 mins for 3 areas of ruins is impressive as it is, to me anyway.

Demon Raygun helps on Bringers and Sorcerers mostly, the rest isn't threatening when you spam the right techs.
As for other areas, I guess it helps against Delbiters if it hits soon enough (like, on the first try) and on most mini bosses. (gigue, Gibbles, Meris if alone, Epsilon. Ill Gills can be dispatched with Foie easily enough.)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Saffran on 2006-10-10 05:17 ]</font>

Hrith
Oct 10, 2006, 07:15 AM
You mean Japanese BB, Saffran?

I hope we get this patched, I find this glitch exploiting very irksome.

Saffran
Oct 10, 2006, 07:19 AM
It hasn't been patched in the US? I would have thought you"d get the bugfix updates like we did...
It was fixed in ver 1.29.6 or 1.29.7...

Hrith
Oct 10, 2006, 07:23 AM
I don't play BB much anymore http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Lemme check...
Our current version is 1.24.3, so no, we haven't got this patch =/

Neith
Oct 10, 2006, 08:37 AM
Nah, the untekked Lavis glitch still exists in all its 'glory'.

It would be nice to get that patched though, weapons are untekked for a reason.

Feelmirath
Oct 10, 2006, 11:44 AM
As much as I'd like to see the Lavis glitch GTFO, I want to keep my Sigh of a God untekked http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

M_BlackHawk
Oct 12, 2006, 05:07 PM
On 2006-10-05 11:00, CellarDoor wrote:

And another thing... melee FOney = http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif Unless you have THE BEST MELEE WEPS with obscene %s I'd vote against melee. But then again you probably do have the best melee weps with obscene %s =P.

Reading back over this I've realized that there is absolutley no useful information in my post pertaining to your original post... But have fun with the FOney, whatever you may decide to do with her.

In my experience, I wouldn't suggest doing melee with any Force in Ultimate mode. They just don't have the ATP for it, even with obscene weapons. I tried it in DC v2 with my FOmarl, Rhiana, and she just couldn't do jack squat in melee combat. Forces are really best as spell slingers, and for support in online mode.

whiteninja
Oct 12, 2006, 05:11 PM
On 2006-10-10 09:44, Feelmirath wrote:
As much as I'd like to see the Lavis glitch GTFO, I want to keep my Sigh of a God untekked http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif
Untekked Lavis is a pitiful excuse for a weapon.
What is this about the SoaG though?

Cheap or not, an untekked Psycho Wand is still the best Force weapon in the game.