PDA

View Full Version : Broken Shift Key

Ketchup345
Oct 5, 2006, 05:13 PM
I use a laptop (Dell Inspitron 6000) and the right shift key (sadly the one I seem to be using most recently) sometimes isn't registering (the left one works perfectly as far as I can tell). This problem just came up a few weeks ago.

Could this be a problem with the keyboard drivers, or is it more likely a hardware problem? Is there anyway to fix this problem?

KojiroAK
Oct 5, 2006, 06:05 PM
Did you allready a format?(complete Reinstallation)
Did you tried an external Keyboard?
Already checked Homepage for the problem?
Tried other(older/newer) Drivers?
Did you already called Dell service Hotline?
(have you still Guarantie?)

I would always suggest to use an Notebook with external Keyboards and mouses.
If externals has deffects you can change them easy, on Notebook inbuilds you have to send them to the producer.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: KojiroAK on 2006-10-05 16:06 ]</font>

Ketchup345
Oct 5, 2006, 07:08 PM
I didn't receive the windows disk with the computer, and I am not going to reformat over somethign like this.
I don't have nay access to any usb keyboards (or adaptors) and the computer has no slots for any other style of keyboard.
Homepage?
I haven't tried any other drivers yet, since I believe it is likely a hardware issue (due to it working some of the time).
I haven't called Dell yet.
The computer is probably out of warraty by now (over a year).

I almost always use an external mouse but I often don't have room for a separate keyboard.

VioletSkye
Oct 5, 2006, 07:15 PM
KojiroAK makes an excellent suggestion in trying an external keyboard, however the USB drivers for the keyboard are not going to be the same as the drivers for the keyboard on the laptop itself. The USB keyboard uses the Human Interface Device driver set. Does the key appear to be stuck or does it move up and down freely like the others?

Having worked on/repaired numerous Dell laptops (much of which was spent replacing motherboards) I can tell you that I have personally replaced a dozen or so keyboards for similar issues.

Most models of Dell laptops are easy to get into and work on, and the 6000 is no exception. If it is still under warranty ask if they can send you a replacement keyboard which I can easily walk you through on how to replace. If they won't send it to you directly then they will have a Dell certified tech come out and do it for you (which is what I do as a subcontractor for their Dell Certified Partners program.)

Edit, nm, I didn't see that you mentioned it was out of warranty. Call and ask how much a keyboard replacement is. I'll do some looking around also and see what I can come up with http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VioletSkye on 2006-10-05 17:18 ]</font>

Ketchup345
Oct 5, 2006, 07:39 PM
The key feels just like every other key.

I may give a call soon, once I get the chance.