PDA

View Full Version : 360 Vs PS3 Vs Wii- who really pwns the future?

xzeekzx
Oct 5, 2006, 10:49 PM
Which next gen gaming has got you under control?

KojiroAK
Oct 5, 2006, 11:07 PM
Wii will wii will rock you. *g*

I look out to get Wii, because i think the controllings will give lot of fun.

But i think wii will not be a competitor at graphics.
PS3 could get some problems, since till she's out, XB360 will shrink there prices.
And unless there will be games out for PS3, that realy has in optical terms a better graphic than 360 games, some people will think again, if the want to spend the money for an PS3.
Not to forgott that's untill PS3 will come out 360 will be selled some times more, which means in the neighbourship will be some people, that can trade game, what also can be an decissionmaker to choose consoles.

But i think also there will be some games, that will have good prerenderd movies.
So for addvertisment could be some videomaterial to show the "power" of PS3.

I think next round of Consoles could be pretty interresting, because i don't think you can say now wich console will be the "marketleader".

2Deuce
Oct 6, 2006, 02:26 AM
Wii will flat-out demolish PS3 and 360, come christmas-time

Eventually, PS3 will become affordable and all the people who want RPGs, shooters, and/or assorted M Rated stuff will break down and buy one unless they have a 360, and are satisfied with it's choices in those areas.

After PS2 is pretty phased out, PS3 (assuming it's dropped to a reasonable price) will become the standard (kinda how PS2 is now.)

If the PS3 is still some obscenely high price at the time, The 360 will become the standard, seeing as that's pretty guaranteed to have dropped in price by then.

Wii will dominate the "younger" market, and have a decent following from everyone else, but won't carry enough of the mainstream games to make it the overall standard.

IMO anyway...

Personally, I''d lean towards PS3 mainly because there's a 95% chance that I'll be able to get one on opening day, and I'd be able to turn around and sell it on eBay for $2000 if I wanted to. >.>

Right now, I'm hoping to have enough saved to get both come November 17th and 19th.

Mwabwetumba
Oct 6, 2006, 02:40 AM
Xbox 360 has Halo.
Therefore, Xbox 360 is my future.
The end.

Blitzkommando
Oct 6, 2006, 02:42 AM
The only one that I am interested in purchasing, or even asking for, would be the Wii. I won't go into the whys because essentially they have been covered so many times so many places I would simply be repeating.

The Xbox360 would be the next interest. It's a solid system with solid backing. It has great online support should I choose to go that way. It's still too expensive in my book, especially since I would want backwards compatability. Maybe in two years or so, maybe sooner, but likely not less than a year from now.

The PS3 is of no interest to me, again for reasons that have been covered time and time again. Yet another reason is that I am boycotting Sony products right now as I am frankly disgusted by their antipiracy stance as well as their business practices. I realize I'll miss out on good products, but there are plenty of companies outside of them that make excellent products. It's really too bad because overall I've had no problems with their products it's mainly been problems with the company itself.

Merumeru
Oct 6, 2006, 07:24 AM
XD i love the wii, but i know its going to go the route of the gamecube, with no good games coming out besides SSB:B and maybe the next new Zelda/Mario title

im sure the ps3 will sell out, but i think it will be a more nightmaric version of the 360 shortage last christmas

and the xbox360 will continue reigning supreme due to Live

future predicted~ XD

Kevino
Oct 6, 2006, 08:54 AM
wii but the ps3 has the best shit from the beginning. you may need to get some things but think about this. it comes with blue wtf the dvd thing (i know what im talking about) where as the others dont and to get them you need to pay i think it was 300+ dollars for it. i dunno thats what i heard. ne way im fer the wii and free online

RoninJoku
Oct 6, 2006, 09:17 AM
Wii of course... With the 360 next... Followed a loooong distance away by the PS3 (In my book, these aren't predictions of market share)

I would go into reasons as to why, but as much as I love gaming politics, I've gone into this one too many times in one too many places to do it again.

Non-Toxic-Crayons
Oct 6, 2006, 09:17 AM
Wii
END OF DISCUSSION

Blenjar
Oct 6, 2006, 11:02 AM
I personally think xbox 360 has me just because of halo and probably PSU..otherwise I like all of them. I already pre-paid (full amount) my PS3, waiting for the time to do the same for the wii too. Soo that during xmas I have my 360, Wii, PS3 hooked on my 26 inch tv and my boses system.

-- Blen

AC9breaker
Oct 6, 2006, 11:42 AM
You forgot to add Wii60 as a choice. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif

Kou-Diacyper
Oct 6, 2006, 11:59 AM
I have a 360 and have preordered the Wii, PS3 can get a fat one for the time being.

Neith
Oct 6, 2006, 11:59 AM
No matter how expensive it is, no matter how poor the build quality, no matter how many NFS/FIFA clones it gets, the PS3 WILL sell, as much as I hate to think about it. Sony has it's secret stash of wailing fanboys hidden away, ready to unleash them when the PS3 releases >_>

The 360 I haven't been impressed with- I did plan on buying one after a few months, if a good game lineup existed. Still doesn't appeal to me at all (and I can't be pestered with LOL Covenant in another Halo game.)

The Wii is different in so many ways.. I've been an avid gamer for years now, and to be honest, the recent state of the market appalls me. The creative minds behind gaming seem to have died off, and all that's left is reams and reams of sequels/prequels/franchises. Because of this, I'm growing increasingly sick of the common gaming consoles.

Because the Wii is so different to what everyone is used to, I'll buy one for sure. Its a technological marvel, and if it catches on, could be the most fun gamers have had since lightguns/dance mats hit the arcades. So for me, its the Wii.

However, I know the PS3 will sell, even at outrageous prices.. Sony have their stature firmly set in the gaming industry, and it's gonna take a lot to shake that, unfortunately.

Bring back Nintendo vs Sega http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Tweengo
Oct 6, 2006, 01:08 PM
I'm having a Wii in the corner of my room:D Bad jokes out of the way, the Wii is cheapest and more fun. PS3...No way. That guy who's head of Sony, Ken Kutaragi, said that Sony doesn't care about the competition from Nintendo or Microsoft. What arrogance! I saw it on Teletext (you'll know what I mean if you live in UK) on channel 4 a few days back. With that attitude, I hope Sony crash and burn.

Innominate
Oct 6, 2006, 01:23 PM
This little piggy said, "Wii, Wii, Wii" all the way home.

Alucard_Zer0
Oct 6, 2006, 01:56 PM
yea i'm gonna be happy and play with my Wii. cant beat innovation. its mine a launch

solidsolo
Oct 6, 2006, 02:23 PM
wii is for children.. if you want mature bad@ss games go w/ xbox or ps3

Innominate
Oct 6, 2006, 02:42 PM
I'm going with Wii for fun and innovation. The mature rated violence for violence's sake type games are getting a bit old now don't you think?

DonRoyale
Oct 6, 2006, 02:54 PM
Wii will pwn the 360 and PS3.

360 has its share of glitches, and Sony should stick to music. Wii has all the good games and the innovative features on its side, and PS3 has nothing that good, but it beats 360's glitches and bad games.

Excpet for the sports games, but who ever cared about sports games anyways? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Neith
Oct 6, 2006, 02:59 PM
On 2006-10-06 12:23, solidsolo wrote:

Please, don't comment about the Wii if you haven't researched your facts. It's not a child's console.

If you actually looked at what the Wii has to offer, you'd see it is not a console aimed solely at children. What the Wii is doing is following in the DS's steps, and bringing people who aren't gamers into the gaming world (Dr. Kawashima's Brain Training was MASSIVE in Japan). The Wii is another way of expanding the gaming culture, and taking the focus away from the usual market, which is 14-mid 20 year olds.

Feelmirath
Oct 6, 2006, 03:05 PM
On 2006-10-06 12:59, UrikoBB3 wrote:

Please, don't comment about the Wii if you haven't researched your facts. It's not a child's console.

*Personally loves the fact that the sentence was the perfect sterotypical opinion of gaming nowdays http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif *

Because yeah, having CYBAR with hookers whilst smacking gangsters with a dildo is mature http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif

EDIT:

On 2006-10-06 13:05, solidsolo wrote:
its still for kids
*Actually dies laughing at this point*

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Feelmirath on 2006-10-06 13:07 ]</font>

solidsolo
Oct 6, 2006, 03:05 PM
On 2006-10-06 12:59, UrikoBB3 wrote:

If you actually looked at what the Wii has to offer, you'd see it is not a console aimed solely at children. What the Wii is doing is following in the DS's steps, and bringing people who aren't gamers into the gaming world (Dr. Kawashima's Brain Training was MASSIVE in Japan). The Wii is another way of expanding the gaming culture, and taking the focus away from the usual market, which is 14-mid 20 year olds.

its still for kids

Kizaragu
Oct 6, 2006, 03:11 PM
Well, I've got a 360 and plan on getting a Wii on launch.
What has he PS3 got to offer? Nothing that the 360 can't and not as innovative as the wii, just a big price tag.

No game is worth buying an overpriced 425 english pound console for.
MGS4 exclusive? OH NOES! I think my friend said it best with "I'll just wait till it comes out on 360 thanks"
How many games have claimed to be exclusive over the years to then appear on other consoles anyway? My case rests.

Shigecki
Oct 6, 2006, 04:25 PM
On 2006-10-06 12:54, SereneShadows wrote:
Wii will pwn the 360 and PS3.

Short term maybe.

MS will probably make a price drop at the beginning of the year. If this is the case like every other systems always seem too (usually after the first year of sales) the 360 would be dropping just in time for everyone to finish the fight (Halo3). This will put the price of the sysyem around $250.00 to $350.00 (depending on which one you buy). When this happens there won't be too much difference in price between Xbox360 and the Wii. And let's face it, you'll get way more bang for the buck with an Xbox360 (power wise).

On 2006-10-06 00:26, 2Deuce wrote:
Wii will flat-out demolish PS3 and 360, come christmas-time.

MS will have plenty of systems on the shelves for the holiday season. MS won't go through the same thing they did last year. Nintendo and Sony can't say the same thing. They did get a year head start after all. This is the same thing that Sony had with the PS2 I believe.

360 has its share of glitches,

And the Wii and PS3 will too. They haven't released their systems yet. Every system has glitches. Most of the glitch's will be fixed on the 360 by the time the others are released.

On 2006-10-06 11:56, Alucard_Zer0 wrote:
cant beat innovation.

On 2006-10-06 12:42, Kaiaphas wrote:
I'm going with Wii for fun and innovation.

On 2006-10-06 12:54, SereneShadows wrote:
Wii has all the good games and the innovative features on its side

CaCaaa (parrot sounds). Maybe Polly wants a cracker?

You're all talking about the controller, right? No live (staying pat), not really improved graphics (staying pat), no where near the power of the other two systems (staying pat). And your idea of innovation is a controller that looks like a vibrator and built in weather channel? If I want to fish, I'll go to the river. If I want to pump up a tire, I'll work in a garage. If I want to see the weather I'll go outside. I don't need a video game or system for these things. I'm still finding it hard to call this system or controller innovative.

T0m
Oct 6, 2006, 04:27 PM
From these three, I'm only thinking about getting a Wii as soon as I can.
I might pick up the other consoles at some point. (If the PS3 will be the next gen home of the RPG's again, then I'll certainly get one, sometime).
For now, apart from presenting better graphics and sound, all the 360 and PS3 do, is urging me to get a new tv. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif
Wii offers something genuinely new. Something I can't get with the current gen consoles.

Fanboyism aside, most so-called mature games are aimed at teenagers. (And the "most" adult ones seem to be particularly popular among pre-teens).
Much of Nintendo's staple IP is perfectly playable to adults. And not just something like Brain Training.
Who knows, once bright colours, silly sounds and walking mushrooms no longer fill you with fear of losing any of that testosterone, -carefully cultivated with headshots, blood and gore,- maybe you'll find that good gameplay does make good games.
nce and tes
-disclaimer: this post contains assumptions about solidsolo's gaming preferences and testosterone level.
(one good stereotyping deserves another. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif )

-edit-
You have some good points, Shigecki. And only time will tell which consoles will be the biggest seller.

But despite your misgivings about the Wii's claimed innovation, I think it's without a doubt the next gen's biggest innovator:

5 results for: innovation
Dictionary.com (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/innovation) Unabridged (v 1.0.1) - Cite This Source
1. something new or different introduced: numerous innovations in the high-school curriculum.
2. the act of innovating; introduction of new things or methods.

Despite the shape of the controller, and disregarding what we think of it, it does offer something new, or at the very least, a new combination of existing technology.

I don't agree with your opinion so I'll tear it down so I can feel superior.
Is that the latest in maturely responding to someone disagreeing? I'm sorry that my experiences and opinions clash with yours.
You're expression is a keeper, though. It's a superb discussion ender, and I'll get great use out of it! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif
Seriously, I wrote this with tongue in cheek, I hope you're not offended.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: T0m on 2006-10-06 15:00 ]</font>

Innominate
Oct 6, 2006, 04:38 PM
Some one quoted me, yay! I love the "I don't agree with your opinion so I'll tear it down so I can feel superior" game.

roygbiv
Oct 6, 2006, 04:42 PM
The thing is, nintendo has always shown great promise with their consoles, but both the N64 and Gamecube really didn't capitalize on it.

The thing that Nintendo has going this time around is that hopefully they will have such a large playerbase (because of the pricing) that they will be able to attract back the 3rd party developers.

But who are we kidding, everyone is going to get a Wii for the new Smash Bros.

On the other hand MS is playing their game pretty much perfectly at this point. And to a certain extent because of the types of games being offered for the system, and the focus on online play, it isn't really going to compete much with Nintendo. Which makes me think that although it won't be clear if their is a winner for this generation of consoles for a while, it seems like Sony is going to lose market share in this round.

Sgt_Shligger
Oct 6, 2006, 04:57 PM
I plan on getting a wii. It's not a graphic power house or anything beastly, its just, as everyone said before, different from what's been on the market. Nintendo will do fine in the Wii launch. . .

Neith
Oct 6, 2006, 04:58 PM
The whole point of the Wii is to bring the non-gaming population (the older generation, as well as people who've never had any interest in gaming) into the state of mind that allows them to see that the Wii is NOT just a games console.

The news/weather channels that Nintendo are showing are clear evidence of that. C'mon, how many of the stereotypical gaming youth would actually check the News frequently? I know for sure I didn't until a year or two ago.

Yes, there are games aimed at Children, as with any console (this being a common trait with Nintendos too), but look at games like Red Steel for example. Look at Red Steel carefully, it is not a kid's (by kid's, I mean 14year old, or there about) game.

You can bet your life that there'll be some nice titles on the PS3 (MGS4 for a start), but it'll undoubtedly be accompanied by mediocre titles covered head to foot in advertising and concentrating purely on 'lol, graphics'.

Nintendo have played the Wii very smartly-releasing information on it which will relate to every audience they're trying to capture:
- Metroid Prime 3, SSBB etc for the current gamers
- News and Weather channels for informed people
- Classic games available for download for the retro gamers

People can argue all they want, and say it's a childish console, but the fact remains that the technology behind it (and more importantly, how it's being implemented) are far more intriguing to a non-gamer than the approach MS and Sony have taken, which is 'more of the same, better graphics'

I guess we'll see what happens come the Wii's release. I'm 21 around it's release, and I honestly think the Wii and it's impact on gaming as we know it is going to be huge (maybe not so much in US/EU, but definately in Japan)

Xaos127
Oct 6, 2006, 06:03 PM
Does it matter ? No.
Will you be able to sleep a little better at night knowing that your console "won" ? No, so why do people always argue over this..whatever though.
Me personally, i'm getting a ps3 at launch because I like the games Sony has, probably be getting a Wii a few months later and by the end of next year I should have all 3.

As for an actual prediction, i'm sure after all the hype and hating has died down the PS3 will sell a lot more units than any other console. BUT WHO CARES.

Merumeru
Oct 6, 2006, 09:41 PM
consoles, schmonsoles, just someone release some damn MMORPGS and RPGS already XD

2Deuce
Oct 6, 2006, 10:35 PM
On 2006-10-06 16:03, Xaos127 wrote:As for an actual prediction, i'm sure after all the hype and hating has died down the PS3 will sell a lot more units than any other console. BUT WHO CARES.

On 2006-10-06 14:25, Shigecki wrote:MS will probably make a price drop at the beginning of the year. If this is the case like every other systems always seem too (usually after the first year of sales) the 360 would be dropping just in time for everyone to finish the fight (Halo3). This will put the price of the sysyem around $250.00 to $350.00 (depending on which one you buy). When this happens there won't be too much difference in price between Xbox360 and the Wii. And let's face it, you'll get way more bang for the buck with an Xbox360 (power wise).

On 2006-10-06 12:59, UrikoBB3 wrote:Please, don't comment about the Wii if you haven't researched your facts. It's not a child's console.

The winners of the topic.

Jozon
Oct 6, 2006, 10:39 PM
PS3 WILL FAIL, because Sony is very reluctant to reduce prices on a console they already lose money on, same with the PSP, they refuse to lower prices even though they are being DRASTICALLY outsold by the Nintendo DS, they need a wakeup call in the form of console war ownage.

Skett
Oct 6, 2006, 11:08 PM
I'm excited for all three consoles personally, but I'm probably a bit more excited for 360 than the others. Lame name aside, I've been supporting the 360 since they released it. Gears of War is only one of two games that I know I'm getting this season. Further down the line, we have Halo 3, Halo Wars, Bioshock, Phantasy Star Universe, Fable 2, Alan Wake, Mass Effect, Castlevania: SotN, and a bunch of other non-exclusive games like Call of Duty 3 and Resident Evil 5. Coupled with Xbox Live, all this has me excited.

I'm still split between PS3 and Wii. Yeah, the price of PS3 is a lot, but I don't mind waiting a bit while I save. Besides, it has MGS4, Resistance, White Knight Story, Final Fantasy XIII, FFXIII Versus, and Lair. I'm positive that PS3 will have a great run. Their third-party support is great and looks to be better than Wii's.

Speaking of which, you can't talk about great games for Wii and not mention first and second-party games: Zelda, Metroid, Smash Bros., Mario, Fire Emblem, Battalion Wars 2, Excite Truck, WarioWare, Big Brain Academy, ect. However, third-party support, while improved over GameCube's, still isn't that impressive and there is a good chance that consumers won't buy their games, resulting in ANOTHER bunch of dropped support. Furthermore, there's not that much in 2007 NOT from Nintendo that's very exciting.

Overall, I'd side with 360, but I've been playing games in this industry long enough to know that it's unpredictable. Things can change.

DizzyDi
Oct 6, 2006, 11:26 PM
All three consoles intrest me.
But the PS3 is definately looking to be the best.
Beyond all the blind sony hate people are throwing around the PS3 really is looking to offer alot.
Sony pretty much dominated the TGS with games like White Knight Story, MGS4, and Motor Storm.

fishtales
Oct 8, 2006, 06:33 PM
all of them intrest me except the wii they should have left the name revolution

PJ
Oct 9, 2006, 06:58 AM
On 2006-10-06 21:26, DizzyDi wrote:
Beyond all the blind sony hate people are throwing around the PS3 really is looking to offer alot.

MGS4 really isn't a lot

On 2006-10-06 14:25, Shigecki wrote:
CaCaaa (parrot sounds). Maybe Polly wants a cracker?

You know why everyones talking about the innovation? Cause that's what Nintendo is DOING and what Nintendo is ADVERTISING that they're doing. And no, it's not just the controller, but the controller is part of it.

"Lack of power," is a sad reason, but unfortunately, will probably be the death of the Wii. We all know how, "Gamers," are these days. No Live? Bitch, please. So what? Someone explain to me the greatness of Live. I've used it. Not so amazing that it really downplays other systems not having it.

In the end, I'm getting a Wii. But only cause the other gen systems don't interest me. I'm not getting it for a while anyways, since PSU/DS/Pokemon will keep me entertained for a long time.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: PJ on 2006-10-09 04:59 ]</font>

KojiroAK
Oct 9, 2006, 07:17 AM
@Shigeki

I don't think Wii will have glitches since Nintendo has ever looked on the quality of there Products and thats one thing i like on Nintendo.

Well i dislike that console get more and more Harddisks, cause it allows patches, so the producer can sell us unready games and use us for Betatesting (like it's done at PC-Games).
(o.k. they call it goldversion but at the end they are Beta - late Beta but Beta and some of them not even late)

tank1
Oct 9, 2006, 08:21 AM
Im gonna get the Wii and ultimately i dont care who wins the console wars since people have been fighting this war for a long time and i just dont care. Aslong as Nintendo keeps making games ill be happy even if there making them on the PS4 or X-Box 460 etc.

Shigecki
Oct 9, 2006, 01:06 PM
On 2006-10-09 04:58, PJ wrote:
You know why everyones talking about the innovation? Cause that's what Nintendo is DOING and what Nintendo is ADVERTISING that they're doing.

I corrected your statement. You're welcome.

Say something enough times and it becomes true. I'm responding to this post on the day that the people of America have said Columbus discovered it. Like I said say something enough times and it becomes true.

That's all my point was.

EJ
Oct 9, 2006, 01:53 PM
if improve graphic power make a game more fun for people than go for it but I found most of the games that look nice also have boring gameplay and I rather play the old snes and genesis games half the time.

Nintendo is aiming for a different direction and trying to evolve the gaming controls. They are the ones who made the analog stick(whatever it is called), the shoulder buttons, and rumble pack. I really think the new controllers look interesting and I believe it will be fun to play games. So I will get the wii and probably ps3 when he near the end of its cycle since sony has all the rpgs I like and xbox has no game I like at all.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: EJ on 2006-10-09 12:37 ]</font>

roygbiv
Oct 9, 2006, 02:26 PM
Nintendo didn't make the joystick http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif

EJ
Oct 9, 2006, 02:38 PM
I didn't mean joystick I mean that anlog stick or whatever it is called on the controller that every system uses now >.>

HUnewearl_Meira
Oct 9, 2006, 03:08 PM
On 2006-10-06 00:26, 2Deuce wrote:
Wii will flat-out demolish PS3 and 360, come christmas-time

I dunno that the Wii will take them both, but between the Wii and the Xbox360, the PS3 doesn't look like it'll stand a chance. The Xbox stole far too many of Sony's fanboys and would-be fanboys for Sony to keep floating this trash barge. Just look at the current state of the poll. That's coming from a reasonable crosssection of the game industry's target market. With 88% or so of the market going to Nintendo and Microsoft, Sony will not be making the sales they want, even if the fanboys buy two or three consoles a piece.

Yeah, because we all know that the mark of a truely mature game is all the violence, gore and nudity that had us so entranced when we were 13.

Well the fuck with that. I'd rather have gameplay.

T0m
Oct 9, 2006, 04:02 PM
This is a little off topic, but since joysticks/ analog sticks got mentioned a few times, I thought some might find this interesting.

The first joysticks, (like from the first Atari Home Consoles), were digital.
I myself have had the pleasure of using the first analog Sticks on a Home Console. As far as I can tell, the Vectrex (from around 1982) was the first to come standard with a analog stick. http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/f/f5/Vectrex_controller.jpg/180px-Vectrex_controller.jpg
Due to the collapse of the gaming market, production of the Vectrex was discontinued in 1984.

Then, apparently, for years analog sticks were mostly overlooked and ignored. And after all, analog didn't have a real advantage over digital, until games became 3D.
Then, it was actually Sony who releases an analog first. A peripheral for the PlayStation (a Flightstick). This was shortly before Nintendo comes with the N64's analogs. http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/5/5d/SonyFlightStick.jpg/180px-SonyFlightStick.jpg
Nintendo does have the honour of releasing a 3D console, standard with analog controllers, though.
After Nintendo's N64, analog sticks have become a standard for home consoles.

(I used Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Analog_stick) for most of this. And curiously, in one entry it states that the Sony Flightstick was released in April '96 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_Flightstick), and in another it says November '96. Since the N64 was released in June '96, it could be that it was, in fact, released before the Sony peripheral.
For me it doesn't really matter, since this confusion only illustrates, that in reality things are often more complicated than generally assumed. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif )

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: T0m on 2006-10-09 14:06 ]</font>

Saiffy
Oct 9, 2006, 06:59 PM
On 2006-10-09 11:06, Shigecki wrote:

You know why everyones talking about the innovation? Cause that's what Nintendo is DOING and what Nintendo is ADVERTISING that they're doing.

Say something enough times and it becomes true. I'm responding to this post on the day that the people of America have said Columbus discovered it. Like I said say something enough times and it becomes true.

That's all my point was.

Since when was motion censor technology ever in the mainstream? Nintendo didn't invent it, but they've managed to grab more people than previous companies can ever say.(I'm refraining from saying they succeeded with it, since the console is not out and could easilly, albeit unlikely, flunk it)

Cause, well, if you don't know yet, it's impossible to be 100% innovative at this point in human existence.

Your posts to say Nintendo isn't being innovative isn't very innovative http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

MetaZedlen
Oct 9, 2006, 07:23 PM
I am so going to get a Wii because a) i owned every other nintendo system (besides the handhelds) and b) PS3 is going to hell because of the ridiculous price along with the 360.
And also which sounds better? im going to play my Revolution or im going to play with my Wii http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Himmelhand
Oct 9, 2006, 08:04 PM
I'm going to ignore the hype and just wait and see.. PS2 and Gamecube work fine for me, although PS2 will probably die at some point due to that infernal laser glitch, I already lost blu-ray discs a long time ago (noes ROTK http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_cool.gif. But I am expecting PS3 to end up being the console for me when its price is less and the distribution of games is certain. I probably will get a Wii-for SSBB, and whatever else piques my curiousity. A 360 I doubt I'll get; Halo is not bad, but not something I'd wait outside overnight to get when it comes out.

Shigecki
Oct 9, 2006, 08:06 PM
Saiffy, why did you quote me in your post? I'm only responding to someone who quoted me. Your post has nothing to do what so ever with my statement. Kinda out of the blue, but oh well.

I never said anything about which will fail or what was or is mainstream(?). I was only responding to the question which one will pwn or what ever the future. I think it will be Xbox or rather Microsoft. PJ even agreed with my statement of who will win the next gen console wars. Let's face it, MS has the most money of the three companies. I feel they are going to do the same thing they did in the software business with the console and videogame business. I hope not, but I feel this is the way it is going to be. They can risk alot more to make sure their console is the number one selling of the next gen systems.

I don't think that Nintendo is being innovative because they aren't doing anything new. That is the definition of the word. Mattel made the powerglove, and the Wii is using that type of controller for their system. I know it is different, but the same concept. Thus nothing new. Thus not innovative. I know nothing is really innovative anymore, I wasn't the one calling anything innovative.

Someone made the statement that they aren't going after the gaming community. For their sake, I hope this is wrong. They are the ones that are going to likely buy a game system afterall. News and weather is way too easy to get without buying a $250.00 (USD) game system. This would be suicide for Nintendo.

I'm sure Nintendo has made a very solid game console in the Wii. I'm sure they will have plenty of good to great games. This post has nothing to do with that what so ever. I have nothing for or against any of the companies. I wish them all the luck. But I feel the winner of the next gen systems is going to be Xbox/Microsoft.

T0m
Oct 10, 2006, 06:22 AM
Someone made the statement that they aren't going after the gaming community. For their sake, I hope this is wrong. They are the ones that are going to likely buy a game system afterall. News and weather is way too easy to get without buying a $250.00 (USD) game system.
I think there would be more truth in the original statement if that said "existing gaming community".
What Nintendo will be trying to do, is to expand the gaming demographic beyond the prevailing boundaries. Most games and consoles are marketed at children and teenagers. And for the majority, just the male part of this group. And this is becoming a rather restricted demographic.
Nintendo is trying now, more than the direct competitors, to appeal to adults and the female half of the population.
The succes of some of the DS's games show that Nintendo has already enjoyed some succes with this approach.
Any adult, normally not interested in gaming, but now in the possesion of a DS and Brain Age, will be swayed more easily to try another game.
Nintendo will adopt the same strategy for the Wii. And in that sense, one could say that they are not after the gaming community. (I agree with you that ignoring the existing gaming community would not be wise at all.)

As to which console will win; all too often victory is in the eye of the beholder. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif
Did you notice that after recent wars, all participating parties claim victory. While any objective observer would note that all sides lost? And after elections, almost all parties can be seen celebrating their victory.
More closer to home, it can easily be argued that PS2 won this gen's console war. Others might say that Xbox won, since it came from nowhere, started with few supporters. But managed to carve out a sizable piece of gaming pie for itself in a matter of years. And yet others might say that even if the Cube didn't sell the most, Nintendo was the only one to make a profit out of each console sold, and still hold firmly hold the handheld crown.

Out of the three next gen consoles, I'm interested in the Wii the most. But whether it'll have economical and critical succes, don't really matter to me. As long as Nintendo is able to churn out quality titles throughout the Wii's life cycle, as they managed for the Cube, then I'll be a happy Nintendophile. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

And, innovation isn't just a matter of, or restricted to, doing something new.
Innovation: the successful exploitation of new ideas.
change that creates a new dimension of performance.
The opening of a new market, that is a market into which the particular branch of manufacture of the country in question has not previously entered, whether or not this market has existed before.
Product innovation, involves the introduction of a new good or service that is new or substantially improved. This might include improvements in functional characteristics, technical abilities, ease of use, or any other dimension.

Look at the DS. It wasn't the first touch screen, nor handheld console. It wasn't even the first handheld console with a touch screen. But it was the first to make handhelds with touch screens a succes.
What good was the Tapwave Zodiac if no one knew it. DS's innovation was making this combination of technologies succesful. (So yes, Nintendo does innovate).
In my view, there's no doubt the Wii innovates, according to some of the definitions of innovation.

solidsolo
Oct 10, 2006, 11:51 AM
On 2006-10-09 11:06, Shigecki wrote:

That's all my point was.

LOL i love this kid

Mokona99
Oct 10, 2006, 07:22 PM
In my opinion, the PS3; it has been dubbed "futureproof" unlike the wii and the 360 who at first might take the lead, but in the end it will be the PS3 because of Blu Ray and the cell and everything else about it. Though, don't get me wrong I'm trying to save up for a WII and a PS3.

dude3282
Oct 12, 2006, 04:52 PM
In a nutshell, I think Wii has a lot of potential, but will probably suffer from the typical Nintendo problem of game-lackingness (oh that was terrible). As much as this board hates to admit it, 360 has a pretty solid game plan at this point. I'd rather they come out on top instead of Sony. However, you know the PS3 will sell, even if all it does is play PS2 games and MGS4.

There will be those who buy a Wii just for Mario and Zelda, and those who buy Xbox just for Halo. I mean really, all three systems have established franchises, the question is who can attract more fresh and original stuff. Hopefully that will be the Wii, but games on PS3 and 360 will be so much prettier.

DLShAdOw
Oct 12, 2006, 07:05 PM
On 2006-10-06 09:59, Kou-Diacyper wrote:
I have a 360 and have preordered the Wii, PS3 can get a fat one for the time being.

My thoughts exactly.

ShadowDragon28
Oct 13, 2006, 07:20 PM
I shall get the Wii as soon as the black model is out. To quote Bruce Wayne in "Batman Begins"... "does it come in black."

DonRoyale
Oct 13, 2006, 07:37 PM
I sense a lock coming on, possibly for the following:

OK, everyone, let's look at the whole point of WHY we're doing this. The whole point we want to buy systems is to play games, right? Now, if we look at the respective consoles, we will find that:

-Wii has titles like MP3, SSBB, LoZ:TP, the innovative and original Mario Galaxy, a WarioWare game (Yes, everyone, it's true http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif), a Sonic game (Again, it's all true), a funky yet powerful new Rayman game, and a slew of other wonderful titles.

-The 360 has Halo 3 and PSU. Now, I won't disagree-WOW, it's H3 and PSU. However, remember what happened to H2? Crappy cliffhangers=flop. They can make an incredible online experience, but where's the fucking storyline guy when you need him? Bitch, please.

On, and for the record, PC/PS2 PSU > 360 PSU. Why? Because PC and PS2 have interconnected servers. And where's all the buzz around? Even the PS2 is getting better attention than the 360 http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

-And PS3? You have maybe, MAYBE some good titles like branches to awesome series like Kingdom Hearts, Ratchet and Clank, and Jak and Daxter. And that's a POSSIBILITY. Other than that, you have GTA (which, by the time the next GTA comes out, we're going to have a 9-year-old stabbing someone =), and sports games. *cough* *dust ball rolls by*

[/is forced to keep wide-ranged, harsh opinion on sports for another topic]

So, everyone, while you have your fancy online shit and POSSIBLE sequels, most of which will probably suck because it's the same shit you've done 1000 times before, Wii will be using the new stylus to play games in a way that PS3/360 won't. Innovativeness, that's what people want.

I rest my case.