PDA

View Full Version : Bar lingo what is a draft?

Drayma
Oct 7, 2006, 09:53 AM
anybody?

Mwabwetumba
Oct 7, 2006, 10:13 AM
a first or preliminary form of any writing, subject to revision, copying, etc.

there are different kinds of drafts, though.

ABDUR101
Oct 7, 2006, 10:35 AM
Bar Lingo. As in, at a bar, what is a 'draft'. It's obviously a drink, but I honestly don't goto bars. I'm thinking it's just a standard beer thats usually on tap or on-hand. Or it could just be generally "Gimme a draft" and they give you whatevers on tap. I do recall a beer, Miller Genuine Draft, I beleive.

Sinue_v2
Oct 7, 2006, 10:40 AM
Draft isn't a type of beer specifically, it's a general term used for any beer that comes out of the tap. Most bars have both bottles and kegs, and there often is a distinct taste difference between them since draft beers don't need to be pasturized the way bottled or canned beer does.

So Miller Genuine Draft is not actually a draft when you drink it from the bottle - but is when you drink it from a keg.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sinue_v2 on 2006-10-07 08:42 ]</font>

Mwabwetumba
Oct 7, 2006, 03:38 PM
...whoops!

Hehe well, looks like you got your answers anyway:P

Dangerous55
Oct 7, 2006, 03:59 PM
Some varies, around the area here a "lager" refers to a Yuengling.

sonic_ray
Oct 7, 2006, 10:18 PM
We Canucks spell it "draught"

From the ubiquitous dictionary.com:

draught

n 1: a serving of drink (usually alcoholic) drawn from a keg; "they served beer on draft" [syn: draft, potation, tipple] 2: a large and hurried swallow; "he finished it at a single gulp" [syn: gulp, draft, swig] 3: a current of air (usually coming into a room or vehicle) [syn: draft] 4: the depth of a vessel's keel below the surface (especially when loaded) [syn: draft] 5: a dose of liquid medicine; "he took a sleeping draft" [syn: draft] 6: the act of moving a load by drawing or pulling [syn: draft, drawing] v : make a blueprint of [syn: blueprint, draft]

Sinue_v2
Oct 8, 2006, 03:51 AM
We Canucks spell it "draught"

IIRC, that's the correct form of the word. Most of European/Austrailian imports I've seen spell it like that too - such as Guiness which is imported from Ireland. Like MGD, Guiness labels itself a Draught even when it's poured from a bottle. They even went so far as put a little widget thing in there to "stir up the flavor" and simulate a tap pour.

Though Guiness and MGD are two completely different kinds of beer. Guiness actually has flavor, MGD doesn't. It's probably one of my favorite beers, along with the companies other flavors Smithwick and Harp. And speaking of Guiness here's a few bonus bar lingo recipies...

Bar Lingo Bonus:

Irish Carbomb
-----------------------------
I don't know where this drink originated from, but I first heard about it when my friend Neil was bouncing a club down in St. Louis. After being introduced up here, it took about two years to really catch on - but is now one of the most popular mixes in Warsaw.

1/2 Pint Guiness Draught
1/2 Shot Jameson's Irish Whiskey
1/2 Shot Baileys Irish Cream

Mix the two half-shots of liquer together into a single shot, and pour the Guiness into a tall glass. Drop the shotglass of liquer into the beer, and drink it as fast as possible. If you allow the drink to sit, the Bailys cream will eventually curdle, but if you drink it immediately it will be smooth and taste similar to chocolate milk.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sinue_v2 on 2006-10-08 01:53 ]</font>

Kevino
Oct 9, 2006, 08:52 AM
I dont much like beer my self

Kevino
Oct 9, 2006, 08:53 AM
I dont much like beer my self