PDA

View Full Version : Why can't my Birthday be February 31st?

ChibiMyu
Oct 7, 2006, 10:43 AM
After a nice long vacation in other RPGs, I return to PSOW, log on, and notice that my member info needs some updating. For one thing, my birthday shows up as Jan 1, 1950. Unfortunately, I am nowhere near this age yet. So I decide to change my birthday to a nice, young, non-existant date such as February 31st, 1983. Unfortunately, after hitting the edit button and viewing this page, the evil little coding on the website has "fixed" the date to a very existant March 3, 1983.

What if I do not want my real birthday to be known? Some of us really hate having everyone walk up to us to hand us ill-fitting clothing as "gifts" which always require to be taken back. I figured that the perfect way to avoid such a dilema would be to set my birthday to a non-existant date. This way, people would purchase clothing for me when my birthday approached, only to find the date skipping from February 28th to March 1st, and then they would be forced to take these gifts back themselves... BWAHAHA!!!

Edit: I hope you don't take the gift part seriously, but I do find that to be an amusing bug in the profiles section. They really should have an anonymous birthday option!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ChibiMyu on 2006-10-07 08:49 ]</font>

astuarlen
Oct 7, 2006, 04:12 PM
On 2006-10-07 08:43, ChibiMyu wrote:
They really should have an anonymous birthday option!

On 2006-10-07 08:43, ChibiMyu wrote:
For one thing, my birthday shows up as Jan 1, 1950. Unfortunately, I am nowhere near this age yet.

What if I do not want my real birthday to be known?

Interesting...

geewj
Oct 7, 2006, 05:07 PM
If I don't want my birthday to be known... then I don't put my birthday.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Oct 7, 2006, 05:43 PM
Put a fake birthday, or one that sounds too fake to be true.

April 1st whatever year.

I once PM replied someone and the subject was about their profile age = 3 years old.

ChibiMyu
Oct 7, 2006, 06:17 PM
On 2006-10-07 15:07, geewj wrote:
If I don't want my birthday to be known... then I don't put my birthday.

I would do this, but there is no such option in the dropdown menu that I see. When I went to look at my profile it was set to the oldest birthday listed. (Jan 1, 19050) I do recall two frequent posters on PSOW who were older than this though. I bet they had some interesting reactions if they ever went to set/update their profile.

On 2006-10-07 15:43, HAYABUSA-FMW- wrote:
Put a fake birthday, or one that sounds too fake to be true.

April 1st whatever year.

I once PM replied someone and the subject was about their profile age = 3 years old.

That sounds creative! I suppose many of the members who registered before 2005 could really confuse some people by making their birthday later than their join date.

Another reason I do not like making fake birthdays is that if an account becomes disputed (especially an online gaming account), one of the questions asked is what birthday you used when making the account. I have known people who had difficulty claiming ownership of their own accounts when a server wide password reset took place. In PSOW, the birthday option can be seen by all, so I doubt it would be used, but it's still a good habit to use the same birthday every time. I supposed one universal fake birthday would work as well.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Oct 7, 2006, 06:33 PM
No birthdate is needed to sign up for accounts here, its just suggested that one be at least around 13 for the PG-13 material this site is stated to abide by.

The defaults of extremely young or old seem to have worked fine okay up until now right?

Has there been a problem with your birthdate on the site being taken at face value?

The overused joke of myspace or other such places of profiles with public birthdates has been for people to put 99 or 100 years old. You've no doubt seen those.

MaximusLight
Oct 9, 2006, 07:07 PM
I know I wanted the imaginar day of Feburary 31th for mine too.