PDA

View Full Version : I'm going to buy an iPod.

Wyndham
Oct 7, 2006, 06:15 PM
I just want to know what peoples' experiences with it breaking are, so that I know what to look for, whether or not to get the extended warranty, and that kind of stuff.
I'm getting a 30GB iPod video, because I have too much for the 4GB Nano, and it's the same price as the 8GB Nano.

Tallus
Oct 7, 2006, 06:28 PM
i've had a 30gb video for a while, and i have had no problems with it. i works really well even after i've dropped it... ( i have a case tho)

CupOfCoffee
Oct 7, 2006, 06:55 PM
I've had a 30gig video since around the time the newest generation came out (same time as iTunes 7), and so far it's worked like a dream. No freezeups, no resets, no random errors of any sort. Campus bandwidth sucks, so I haven't been able to download any videos for it yet, but everything else seems fairly perfect about it. Also, I've owned an iPod mini, one of the 20gig color screen regular iPods, and now this one, and none of them has ever broken down on me.

Eihwaz
Oct 7, 2006, 06:59 PM
I've had no problems with my 30 gig iPod Video. I've had mine for less than a year, and I am now craving one of the new ones for the improved battery life. I don't watch many videos with it (although I do have a few on it), but it's a nice option to have.

The iPod video is a worthy investment, for sure.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Eihwaz on 2006-10-07 17:00 ]</font>

Kou-Diacyper
Oct 7, 2006, 08:04 PM
No problems, just alot of scratches.

Skett
Oct 7, 2006, 08:15 PM
No problems here either, except for a very scratched screen which was, sadly enough, my own fault. That reminds me, I'd invest in some sort of quality screen protector (those cheepo ones can just scratch it up even more and the one given with the 'Pod isn't the best).

Eihwaz
Oct 7, 2006, 08:16 PM
Agent 18 makes a really good snap on hard plastic cover for iPod video. It's what I use, and it does a great job preventing scratches and scrapes.

http://www.agent18.com/scripts/prodview.asp?idProduct=7

Hrigg
Oct 7, 2006, 11:41 PM
I use the Agent 18 thing also. ;o

I also have a 30 gig iPod video and I've had no problems with it. Works like a charm.

Solstis
Oct 8, 2006, 03:28 AM
My mini died a terrible death, and I recently had problems with getting my nano shipped to me (ended up buying one from CircuitCity and getting a refund from Apple), but the 30gig is definitely a good bet. My bf has the 80 gig and loves it (and bought InvisibleShield or somesuch for it).

I don't really need the video capabilities of the larger pods, and the blue nano was too adorable for me to pass it up.

Sinue_v2
Oct 8, 2006, 03:55 AM
http://www.jinx.com/images/products/456Sm.jpg

Sayara
Oct 8, 2006, 10:21 AM
Yeah, if you're gonna get a 30. Might i suggest a IBlaster home dock (it was 50 dollars at Bed Bath and Beyond). It works as a charging station for your Ipod (instead of usb cord plugging into a PC/Mac)

For it sucks batteries quite quickly because of the screen. That screen is kinda easy to scratch up too :s

FIDELCASTRO
Oct 8, 2006, 04:50 PM
go for the Creative Zen Vision: M 30gb. you'll like it more.

Wyndham
Oct 8, 2006, 07:53 PM
I'm not getting a Zen because I already use iTunes for my music anyway, and I use a mac. making an iPod much easier.

jordon456
Oct 8, 2006, 10:15 PM
I have a 4th generation black and white iPod and I have had no problems with it. Except for when my brothers dog got a hold of it, still works fine but it is really scratched up.

Kevino
Oct 9, 2006, 09:13 AM
dont get an ipod it is supported by the mac and the mac needs to die...

Wyndham
Oct 9, 2006, 11:59 AM
On 2006-10-09 07:13, Kevino wrote:
dont get an ipod it is supported by the mac and the mac needs to die...

so do people like you. ^_^
Apple invented the way computers are run. the point-and-click idea was invented by Apple, and Microsoft jumped in.

Wyndham
Oct 13, 2006, 02:31 PM
what things do I need to buy to get my iPod working on my mac?

solidsolo
Oct 13, 2006, 03:16 PM
nothing.. macs already come iPod ready.. atleast my powerbook did

CupOfCoffee
Oct 13, 2006, 03:25 PM
I believe Macs do come iPod-ready. But even if they didn't, I'm pretty sure the newest generation of iPods and nanos don't require any software to be installed. They're basically just plug and play. I know the one I recently bought didn't come with a CD or anything, which scared me at first, but I plugged it in and it was all ready to go.

Sayara
Oct 13, 2006, 03:47 PM
the new macs at the school ask you to agree to Itunes. Thats all it does when i take it to school labs

Wyndham
Oct 13, 2006, 03:57 PM
ok, thanks. i was wondering if i needed to buy anything, but i called, and it doesn't need a dock, so w/e.

REJ-
Oct 14, 2006, 07:47 PM
On 2006-10-07 16:15, Oran1324 wrote:
I have too much for the 4GB Nano, and it's the same price as the 8GB Nano.

If the 4GB Nano costs as much as the 8GB Nano, why would anyone buy a 4GB Nano?

Wyndham
Oct 14, 2006, 07:57 PM
I meant I have too much for the 4GB, and the 8GB, while costing more, is as much as the 30GB video.
sorry for the confusion.

Sayara
Oct 14, 2006, 08:10 PM
On 2006-10-13 13:57, Oran1324 wrote:
ok, thanks. i was wondering if i needed to buy anything, but i called, and it doesn't need a dock, so w/e.

The dock thing is just another product from Apple or any 3rd company to charge the device (outside of using a PC/USB port) and lets you play your IPOD on a stereo like setting. Its not necessary at all. just handy

Firocket1690
Oct 15, 2006, 09:15 AM
ORLY?

Apple's getting more.. cheapskate-y with their iPod line, if anything.

3rd Gen - iPod, headphones, computer cable (firewire at the time), charger, dock, installation CD.

5th Gen - iPod, headphones, computer cable (usb), installation CD

Nano - iPod, headphones, cable.

Dock still retails separately $30 plastic, $50 infared. Charger goes for $40.

In any case, full size for the library, nano for sex appeal.