PDA

View Full Version : Gigantour 2006

Allos
Oct 8, 2006, 12:14 AM
In a nutshell, this years Gigantour was pretty good. My legs are tired from standing for roughly seven hours but it was worth it. Where to begin...

My friends and I arrived at the Bank Atlantic Center around 4 PM. I bought a Megadeth shirt first thing because I was afraid they'd run out later on (and they did). Smart move for me. As we were in the bathroom the first band came on, they were...

-The Smashup-I really wasn't expecting much from these guys; they're a hardcore/punk band on a metal tour for Christ's sake. Everything I'd heard prior to hearing them live was terrible. I was pleasantly surprised to see that live they aren't as bad. I was expecting a lot worse.

-Sanctity-After a 10 minute turnover, Sanctity came on. They're a thrash metal band from North Carolina that I'd never heard before and were actually pretty decent. Problem in their set was the group of 14 year old douchebags that started a wannabe mosh pit. I'm sure you know the type of kids I refer to: slightly overweight/ flat out huge, all wearing "hot topic" pants, most wearing skull caps, and all wearing either Slipknot (ughhhh) or ICP (UGHHHH) shirts. By the end of Sanctity's set one kid (equally moronic) had gone down and was literally kicked while he was down. Guards pulled him up bruised and bleeding and kicked out a few of the said douchebags.

-Into Eternity-The next band was Into Eternity , a band I've looked forward to seeing live. The lead singer can sing his balls off and at times I thought Rob Halford was on the stage. They were fucking amazing, and the only bad part about their set was that they only played four songs.

-Overkill-Overkill was next in line and put on a great show as expected. Their set was the longest on the second stage, which was nice because it really was good. Not much else to say about that.

After Overkill we got some drinks (waaaaay overpriced) and sat down for a good 10-15 minutes to get our strength back for the main events of the night on the main stage.

-Arch Enemy-We descended back onto the floor as Arch Enemy came on. For those not in the know, they play melodic death (or Gothenburg) metal and are one of the few bands in the genre to have a female lead singer. Very good set by Arch Enemy and with the exception of Megadeth, they had the best sound production all night. Only complaint with their set is that it was a little too short for my taste.

-Opeth-Ahhhhhhh yes, Opeth. Opeth was half the reason I decided to go to Gigantour because I missed them on their tour last year. The music itself was good but I was disappointed in the show. They only got to play four songs (The Grand Conjuration, The Leper Affinity, Windowpane, and Deliverance), the bass drum was waaaaay too loud, I could barely hear Mikael Akerfeldt's guitar, and the douchebag 14 year olds multiplied 10 fold and were moshing to acoustic portions of Opeth songs. They also just seemed tired (which is understandable) and I just got the feeling that Mikael Akerfeldt was pissed. Other than these things, good show by Opeth. Much better than....

-Lamb of God-Sweet Jesus, here's the most overrated band of the evening. I don't mind the OCCASIONAL Lamb of God song but honestly, they played for an hour and I could not tell the difference between any song. I don't see why 10 minutes of their time couldn't have been taken and given to Opeth. Lamb of God also seemed to be the reason that half of the audience showed up; the entire front area turned into a moshpit. Anyway, they played, they left, I forgot. Oh yeah, and after they went of stage much of their fanbase left the venue (but that's fine with me).

-Megadeth-Final band of the night and for damn good reason. Megadeth played for an hour and a half and it was the best hour and a half of the entire night. The best performance of their set was Holy Wars with Hangar 18 coming very close in 2nd. Very, very good set with the best sound production all night.

Overall it was a good show with a few minor problems. What made it better is that they chose to record the Gigantour Live DVD tonight, so when it comes out you might see me in the crowd.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Allos on 2006-10-08 10:39 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Allos on 2006-10-08 15:49 ]</font>

Hrigg
Oct 8, 2006, 12:00 PM
Hanger 18, nice. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Glad to hear you had fun. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

MadEwokHerd
Oct 8, 2006, 03:42 PM
I refuse to go to Gigantour for the fact that Megadeth is the only good band on the tour. I should correct myself...Megadeth is the only good band that I've ever heard. I have yet to hear anything by Overkill, but what I have heard about them was good. But people say that Death and Metallica are good and I hate them.

Other than that...it's good you had fun at the show and that you were smart enough to buy a shirt early.

Can't wait until United Abominations comes out. I'm thinking of being Vic for Halloween. But I might be Eddie again...

darthsaber9x9
Oct 8, 2006, 04:02 PM
Oooooooh Opeth! I'm seeing them on 10th Nov in a really small venue in Manchester.

Allos
Oct 8, 2006, 05:48 PM
On 2006-10-08 13:42, MadEwokHerd wrote:
But people say that Death and Metallica are good and I hate them.

Why don't you like Death? Symbolic is one of the best albums I own...

Neith
Oct 8, 2006, 05:59 PM
Heh, I heard a Lamb of God song a few days back. Bloody hated it, so I won't be on the lookout for their newest album http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

Good to hear Megadeth were good though, I love Hangar 18.