Oct 8, 2006, 11:32 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/asiapcf/10/08/korea.nuclear.test/index.html

Hah!

roygbiv
Oct 9, 2006, 12:01 AM
wow... scary times we live in.

Innominate
Oct 9, 2006, 12:06 AM
It's the end of the world as we know it and I don't feel fine.

Squall179
Oct 9, 2006, 12:33 AM
that really is a scary thing there

HUnewearl_Meira
Oct 9, 2006, 01:05 AM
D55, what the hell does this have to do with the PS3?

I was misinformed when I first heard about this. I was stuck in traffic driving home, and my brother-in-law called me. His best friend had called him and told him that North Korea had launched a nuke at China. Further investigation when he and I got home revealed that it was just a nuclear test. Stupid Kelley... He needs to start verifying his news before he starts calling people.

Skett
Oct 9, 2006, 01:09 AM
Great. Now their testing nukes. I really don't like that these nukes are under the control of this James Bond-villain-wannabe:

http://www.spacewar.com/images/korea-kim-pucked-lips-afp-bg.jpg

Dangerous55
Oct 9, 2006, 07:55 AM
On 2006-10-08 23:05, HUnewearl_Meira wrote:
D55, what the hell does this have to do with the PS3?

I was misinformed when I first heard about this. I was stuck in traffic driving home, and my brother-in-law called me. His best friend had called him and told him that North Korea had launched a nuke at China. Further investigation when he and I got home revealed that it was just a nuclear test. Stupid Kelley... He needs to start verifying his news before he starts calling people.

North Korea nukes Japan, bam! No more PS3. It was a sorta joke to get people to look.

Parn
Oct 9, 2006, 08:07 AM
The solution is military action. We can condemn North Korea all day, and it won't change a thing. They're defiant because the world is complacent and they sincerely believe that no one is willing to make a move. That goes for Iran too, since they're next in line for nukes.

Sinue_v2
Oct 9, 2006, 08:07 AM
This is a pretty serious issue - but I'm not very concerned about those little firecrackers N.Korea is poping off undergound. Maybe if they had something like The Tzar (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6653332507245091802&q=Largest+Nuclear+Bomb+Ever&hl=en), I'd be a bit more attentive. We're probably going to go in and take it away from him anyhow - and we have the capabilities to shoot them down even if he tries to launch.

Normally, I don't like the idea of nuclear weaponry - but that Tzar bomb video posted above was just awesome. God bless the Russians... can't make accurate weapons, so we'll just shove 100 megatons into a steel casing and vaporize everything within a 110 mile radius of the target. That thing was truely a work of beauty - and I wish I could have been around there to see it go off.

(The largest Nuclear warhead the US ever detonated was like, 30 megatons I believe. The Tzar was capable of a 100 megaton explosion, but was designed to yeild only half of that in order to reduce on fallout)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sinue_v2 on 2006-10-09 06:12 ]</font>

Kevino
Oct 9, 2006, 08:56 AM
this does blow though immagine what all other countries would think if we(usa) were testing nukes.

Dangerous55
Oct 9, 2006, 09:53 AM
The thing is, something has to be done or Iran will go ahead with theirs realizing the world community is weak. The UN(hah) should do something, it will probably slap a useless sanction on it and call it a day. We ought to start to get the North Korean people to work for us, I imagine some of the military would help also. Blast the hell out of the country with propaganda and if the resistance gets a foothold give it arms, food, whatever. Military action is probably going to happen here though, from someone.

They say they are making them for self defense? We have thousands of precise nukes, they have a few? It isnt practical to tangle with America like that unless they want to stir up trouble.

I hope what happens here is the UN takes over and fixes this. Won't happen and American and Britian will have to do something. Of course, we will be called war mongers and evil for it when the risk of South Korea or Japan getting nuked is real.

Mokona99
Oct 10, 2006, 07:56 PM
Military action is not an option as North Korea has a million battle ready soldiers on the border of the North and South and also Seoul is a mere 20-30 miles from the border and if it's taken over all hell will go loose.

Himmelhand
Oct 10, 2006, 08:05 PM
The only short-term strategically viable attack on N. Korea is a preemptive nuclear and precision air strike on the various artillery emplacements along the 38th parallel. Not going to happen. I say we rush development of ABM lasers to kill whaterver the Reds want to throw at us. We have some, but they aren't effective.

Mokona99
Oct 10, 2006, 08:12 PM
Yeah sure were going to use a nuke and kill innocent civilians. Bush is already hated in this country, a nuclear strike will erupt in riots all over the U.S.

Eviltaru
Oct 10, 2006, 08:57 PM
On 2006-10-08 23:09, Skett wrote:
Great. Now their testing nukes. I really don't like that these nukes are under the control of this James Bond-villain-wannabe:

http://www.spacewar.com/images/korea-kim-pucked-lips-afp-bg.jpg

Gosh this dude is so freaking ugly, I can't believe he in control of the country, and making it very bad, someone should send someone and kill him off, send in some missile ... I think this guy is trying to be Hitler #2 sooner or later... when their nuclear weapon is successful. Their 1st target would probably be the South Korea and follow up with the US... then Bin Laden will "Join the party" >.<

navci
Oct 10, 2006, 09:52 PM
A few things.

1. The scale of this tho, is actually really small. I doubt North Korea can really do a lot of damage to the US, if they do decide to attack. US is huge. N.Korea is tiny.

2. There was actually some serious discrepency as to whether or not there actually is a test. The only people who had detected the activity was the Russians, and there was so much wild estimate to how powerful that bomb was. It almost seem like a bluff. (as of this morning anyway)

3. If China wishes, they can really do some damage to N.Korea. Cut off food supply and pretty soon you will have one dying country.

Some stuff I've heard and read.

Himmelhand
Oct 10, 2006, 10:58 PM
About my comment earlier, I was pointing out that we can't really do shit unless we go all out and try to break them in one hit. ABM lasers are the best defense, it would render their nukes pretty much useless, so it's back to conventional war-and thus, stalemate-for them.

Kevino
Oct 11, 2006, 08:38 AM
PARTY!!

Dangerous55
Oct 11, 2006, 10:38 AM
On 2006-10-10 19:52, navci wrote:
A few things.

1. The scale of this tho, is actually really small. I doubt North Korea can really do a lot of damage to the US, if they do decide to attack. US is huge. N.Korea is tiny.

Well there is no risk in it destroying us but that isnt the point. We don't want to see Seoul, Tokyo or Frisco turned into glass.

China could take care of this but probably won't. What needs to happen is regime change, that guy is a nut.

Alucard_Zer0
Oct 11, 2006, 12:07 PM
lol that picture looks like he just got an electircal shock to the "boys".
north Korea couldnt have picked a worse time to pull this shit. with our jerkoff of a president already trigger happy over iraq. they're asking for this shit to escalate

Dangerous55
Oct 11, 2006, 02:53 PM
On 2006-10-11 10:07, Alucard_Zer0 wrote:
with our jerkoff of a president already trigger happy over iraq. they're asking for this shit to escalate

Way to be productive.

If Bush was a fraction of the things people say he was the world would be destroyed many times over. We do have the most powerful military on the planet and North Korea is giving us a mighty good reason to hit them.

REJ-
Oct 11, 2006, 03:42 PM
Ummm, how'd that nut take control over N. Korea? and why won't someone just get rid of him?

tank1
Oct 11, 2006, 03:43 PM
Ok i know almost everyone is going to disagree with me but ultimatley i feel Iran, N.Korea or any other country has the right to have nukes. The Uk and the US cant police the world and hold back technology that people should have a right to. Granted N.Korea and Iran are led by madmen but even they know that if they where to ever use nukes it would effectively spell doomsday for the whole world.
The west is just going to have to accept that Nations it dosent like are going to eventual get the weapons and technology they want and that we cannot hold back these states forever unless we are prepared to create a new British/and or American Empire.

Dangerous55
Oct 11, 2006, 03:54 PM
On 2006-10-11 13:43, tank1 wrote:
Ok i know almost everyone is going to disagree with me but ultimatley i feel Iran, N.Korea or any other country has the right to have nukes. The Uk and the US cant police the world and hold back technology that people should have a right to. Granted N.Korea and Iran are led by madmen but even they know that if they where to ever use nukes it would effectively spell doomsday for the whole world.
The west is just going to have to accept that Nations it dosent like are going to eventual get the weapons and technology they want and that we cannot hold back these states forever unless we are prepared to create a new British/and or American Empire.

OK, but Iran has threatened to take Israel off the map and North Korea threatened to launch a nuclear tipped missle at South Korean or American or Japanese targets. Don't you think that is a sign we should stop them?

The problem isnt a nation making them it is when they actually threaten to use them. Plus North Korea using what limited resources and funds on it is absolutely nuts.

tank1
Oct 11, 2006, 04:06 PM
OK, but Iran has threatened to take Israel off the map and North Korea threatened to launch a nuclear tipped missle at South Korean or American or Japanese targets. Don't you think that is a sign we should stop them?

Well in the case of N.Korea it was the US that was beating its chest and threatening action against N.Korea. It was Bush that branded Iran, Iraq and Korea the Axis of Evil.
It was also the US that helped create the state of Israel at the expense of Palestine. Though in no way am i condoning Iran's threats of annilating Israel which are ultimately just more chest beating.
Technically in the grand scheme of things its the West that has started all this crap in the first place.

Blitzkommando
Oct 11, 2006, 04:24 PM
Funny how people forget the past fifty years and attempt to analyze the situation without the history of how it got to where it is. Kim Jong Il got into power through his father. The area has been a hotbed since the end of World War II when it was split in half. Frankly the more that happens the more I think that a more MacArthur type strategy for dealing with that area of the world would've been much better than the festering mess that now exists there.

We are no longer in a world of vast armies fighting over a vast trench network with gun emplacements every half mile. Today's war is on one side a smaller scale as you don't have giant powerful nations backing huge armies that are able to confront each other head to head. The flip side is that today a single bomb can take out millions and the bomb can be delivered from half a world away with no way to shoot it down. We live in an era where small groups with big budgets are able to potentially launch weapons that have radiological material, or biological or chemical agents that can make a place uninhabitable for decades. Unfortunately, so few people believe the risk of such an attack is non-existant that it will quite possibly take an attack (or attacks) of that scale to get people to realize the threat is not only possible, but very real and very threatening. I hope every day that an attack such as that never happens but in the back of my mind I realize that it is most likely inevitable unless action is taken before hand.

North Korea has had missles capable of delivering nuclear payloads for over a decade now. The prime targets in their area are Seoul, Tokyo, and other major cities in both South Korea and Japan. Even if the weapon were a dud so to speak, it could still kill millions from the fallout and initial blast. They've launched the missiles and have proven they work. The only thing left to prove is if they have the balls to put in the warhead and push the button.

The good thing today is that even China of all countries is not willing to back North Korea through this. They realize that it is lunacy, and suicide, to stage attacks of this magnitude at this point in time. North Korea however has nothing to lose with any choice they make. They're poor, they're starving, they're sick and dying, and they have the people in power that most likely wouldn't hesitate to act on it should they be ordered to do so.

Frankly, I don't trust many sane people to have control of those kind of weapons. Madmen like those in North Korea and Iran it is no brainer that they should not, and cannot be given the ability to have control over those types of weapons as they are the most likely to use them.

It was one thing back when you had countries that would keep in line and not bother each other due to mutual assurance of destruction. It's another thing entirely when one side is already destroyed and has nothing to lose and potentially everything to gain.

Dangerous55
Oct 11, 2006, 04:27 PM
On 2006-10-11 14:06, tank1 wrote:

Well in the case of N.Korea it was the US that was beating its chest and threatening action against N.Korea. It was Bush that branded Iran, Iraq and Korea the Axis of Evil.
It was also the US that helped create the state of Israel at the expense of Palestine. Though in no way am i condoning Iran's threats of annilating Israel which are ultimately just more chest beating.
Technically in the grand scheme of things its the West that has started all this crap in the first place.

We are not beating our chests and threatening action, in fact we told them- we are not going to attack you many many times! We give them aid and set up 6 party talks yet they are still doing this stuff. Dude they starve there people, we did not create that country. Bush did put them in the Axis of Evil, and every one of those 3 nations needed massive reforms to make them livable, just livable.

The UN created Israel, there is no connection with the United States and Iran having any reason to say it wants to wipe Israel off the map. Stop trying to make the US look bad for no apparent reason.

No, technically the West did not start all this crap.

Your bullshit views really piss me the fuck off, get off the goddamn hating America bandwagon. Keep your eyes open and watch what we do but don't go as far to say EVERYTHING IS OUR FAULT.

tank1
Oct 11, 2006, 04:49 PM
We are not beating our chests and threatening action, in fact we told them- we are not going to attack you many many times! We give them aid and set up 6 party talks yet they are still doing this stuff. Dude they starve there people, we did not create that country. Bush did put them in the Axis of Evil, and every one of those 3 nations needed massive reforms to make them livable, just livable.

Livable by who's standards yeah these countries are led by crack pots but how do you think these countries got the way they did economically?. Its because of the west taking advantage of these countries. You say aid the UK and US give millions in aid which unfortunately in the grand scheme of things aint jack shit if we spent the same amount of money that we had spent on the quagmire that is Iraq alot of people in those nations would be better off.

The UN created Israel, there is no connection with the United States and Iran having any reason to say it wants to wipe Israel off the map. Stop trying to make the US look bad for no apparent reason.

I admit i should of put UN instead of US but lets face it the UN is a joke. Its supposedly a place where all nations can settle disputes peacefully yet the most powerful members pull the strings and the rest of the world is left in the dark.

No both sides did but we certainly have been adding petrol to the flames lately.

Your bullshit views really piss me the fuck off, get off the goddamn hating America bandwagon. Keep your eyes open and watch what we do but don't go as far to say EVERYTHING IS OUR FAULT.

Well your view that the west has the right to police the fucking world pisses me off just because some countries wont dance to our tune there all of a sudden an enemy. Up until this nuke fiasco when N.Korea was pissing on queue where do you think half of there arms came?.
Thats right western weapons manufacturers aslong as they agreed to stay in the stone age we where happy to provide the so called axis with guns so they can oppress the people you claim where meant to be helping.
Also im not on the america hating band wagon i nearly wepted at 911 and i have relatives there so dont you fucking tell me i hate america!
You need to open your eyes imo this so called "war on terror" isnt as black and white as you believe.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: tank1 on 2006-10-11 14:50 ]</font>

Alucard_Zer0
Oct 11, 2006, 04:53 PM
On 2006-10-11 12:53, Dangerous55 wrote:

On 2006-10-11 10:07, Alucard_Zer0 wrote:
with our jerkoff of a president already trigger happy over iraq. they're asking for this shit to escalate

Way to be productive.

who said anything about being productive? i call'em how i see'em

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Alucard_Zer0 on 2006-10-11 15:02 ]</font>

Mewn
Oct 11, 2006, 04:55 PM
North Korea is playing a game of brinksmanship, really. Iran is doing much the same thing, in general, but is not at the same stage and nowhere near as threatening.

As mad and delusional as Kim Jong Il undoubtedly is, I personally have my doubts that he really has the will to fire a nuclear-equipped missile. If he did so he would be annihilated; it'd be tantamount to suicide.

I'm not convinced he has the way either, experts seem to disagree with each other on this. With even China being very cool on this nuclear test I have to wonder if North Korea would be prepared to launch a nuke, knowing that it would undoubtedly turn their greatest ally against them.

Still, this is a rather serious development, the question is where do we go from here? Military action that the UN, and in particular China, will NEVER support? Continuing diplomatic negotations that will do little? Cross our fingers and hope there will be a tomorrow?

Just how do you solve a problem like Korea?

Himmelhand
Oct 11, 2006, 06:20 PM
Nothing really works against Korea. They're invincible because they want to be, and the rest of the world is too squeamish to put some Neosporin where it's needed. Nations led by fanatics (i.e. Iran, N. Korea, Congo, etc.) first of all should be cut off from any say in international affairs while they're pointing a gun at us. They can't kill us, and to fire would only spell their own doom.

Basically, just let them fume until they run out of gas, and then come in and set things right. And by right, I don't mean a puppet state. However, democracy is an essential part of integrating a country into a democratic, capitalist international community. In areas such as the Middle East, East Asia, and Africa, democracy is a foreign concept. The current power structures are reluctant to let anyone else have a slice of the pie. Nation-building is not easy, but if the enemy has no will to fight because we've blockaded them from the world, then it won't be nigh impossible like Iraq or Palestine.

Dangerous55
Oct 11, 2006, 06:25 PM
On 2006-10-11 14:49, tank1 wrote:

Livable by who's standards yeah these countries are led by crack pots but how do you think these countries got the way they did economically?. Its because of the west taking advantage of these countries. You say aid the UK and US give millions in aid which unfortunately in the grand scheme of things aint jack shit if we spent the same amount of money that we had spent on the quagmire that is Iraq alot of people in those nations would be better off.

I ain't doing the quote game so I'm just gonna type.

How are we taking advantage of these countries? We don't trade with them, if we gain anything from them it is negligable.

Almost all weaponry used by the Axis of Evil were made by Russians or Chinese. They use AK-47s and T class tanks not M-16s and surplus Pattons. We do not supply weapons to North Korea or Iran. Where did you get that from? No North Korean is using a Colt 1911 or M-16 for guard duty. They do not fly our jets or drive our Hummers. Why are Russian and China unwilling to do anything about Iran, North Korea, or even before in Iraq? Because they made tons of money off of these countries. In fact, we keep thousands of our own men and women on the DMZ as a tripwire to prevent North Korea from invading the south.

Define adding "petrol to the flames". Was invading France in 1944 adding petrol to the flames? There was no major fighting before the landing. When we invaded, all hell broke loose. We had a cause then as we did now, we are not just going around starting shit because we think it is cool. You may not agree with it totally but don't question the integrity of it.

American donates more money to more countries than any other nation, before and after Iraq.

The UN is a joke, America is probably the most powerful nation in it. We pull strings? Bullshit, please tell me the last thing that came out of the UN to support America? Hugo Chavez called Bush the Devil at the UN, I think he has a voice and was heard. He said it in the spotlight for all to hear. Maybe what these people who are supposedly in the dark just have stupid ideas?

You may not hate America but I am still sick of all this bullshit thrown at our country. We are damned if we do and damned if we don't. I see no outrage when suicide bombers blow up civilians in Iraq. Nobody bats a fucking eyelash! Who gets blamed? AMERICA. We never hear about how the real problem is the sick people who pervert a religion and blow up innocent people. We only ever hear that we are the cause of it, that America had it coming. I want some fairplay, I want people to understand that Bush, Blair and their prespected countries are doing the best they possibly can in an extremely difficult situation.

What would you all do? Honestly sit down and try and think of a strategy after 9/11 for the Allies. What would you do?

I don't think this is black and white but lately everyone has been questioning American motives and basically set the atrocities of other nations in the back of their minds as "Well, that is so and so country/organization/people, that is just how they work."

But like I said, think of a strategy for after 9/11 and current North Korean deal.

Himmelhand
Oct 11, 2006, 06:48 PM
*wholeheartedly agrees with Dangerous*

Also, the UN is damn near officially our puppet state, because they gave us the largest portion of the dues to pay for the entire organization's budget. And we're an economic superpower.

However, my ideal world peace strategy is a global military/aid organization, the only force permitted to use WMDs, and able to go in to fight any trouble it sees the need to step in and fix.

Currently, America serves that function and I believe it is a role we should maintain until someone else is willing to step up to defend international interests. If the Middle East weren't valuable because of its oil, which drives the global economy, we wouldn't be there. If North Korea didn't have a weapon capable of destroying any place on almost an entire hemisphere, we wouldn't be worried. But that is the way the world is. If North Korea would conform to global sentiments instead of catering to its totalitarian ruler, then we and its people would be happier.

Illumiatus
Oct 12, 2006, 04:03 PM
The North Korean situation is bad right now, but Im more worried about Iran. While Korea has nukes, I doubt the government has the balls to launch anything at the moment. They're using it as a bargaining tool.

Iran on the other hand is different because of one thing alone, Radical Islam. I think a lot of people don't understand their mindset. They've been raised under the guiding principle of the Koran and have been been brought to believe things that don't reflect the religion.(Although I wish the Islamic community would condemn these acts more openly then they have) They are more prone to violence than normal people to resolve conflicts, which reflects their prophet Muhammad, who was a warlord. And many of them don't actually fear death, because they are under the belief that they'll be awarded by allah in heaven with virgins.

Why does this make Iran so dangerous? Iran's president has stated multiple times he wishes to wipe Isreal off the map. What if someone was willing to committ NATIONAL suicide to wage jihad on Israel? It might now happen now, but seeing as how the middle-east is stirring with radical ideals, and many radical groups are making attempts to seize power. While it might be far-fetched at the moment it could happen. Bringing to mind the possibility of WWIII.

Then to simply put, we're screwed.

Ryudo
Oct 15, 2006, 08:52 PM
Military action needs to be taken before:

1. N. Korea Weaponizes the nukes

2. They sell them

I dont believe N. Korea will actually nuke anyone, however, I DO believe they will sell the weapons to middle eastern terrorists without any qualms.

and THEY will nuke anyone with no care for reprisals

Eviltaru
Oct 20, 2006, 01:34 AM
I really wanna know ... what's up with China and US they kept saying they'll be "bad consequence" does that means a WAR will be unleashed soon againts the North Korea?

I personnally hope they do and freaking claimed that country, at least bring on some military and do something ... until North Korea achieved success in nuclear weapon and start to nuke every country in this world... it's not going to look good... soon... that feaky ugly dude wants to be "Hitler #2"....

Feelmirath
Oct 20, 2006, 04:27 AM
No both sides did but we certainly have been adding petrol to the flames lately.
Actually, the whole thing kicked off because of our good friend Franz Ferdinand XP

Sinue_v2
Oct 20, 2006, 05:56 AM
Actually, the whole thing kicked off because of our good friend Franz Ferdinand

Yup... let it never be said that ONE person doesn't make a difference. I've been saying this for years. Almost the entirety of the last century of our civilization can be directly linked to the death of one, rather ineffectual, man. Although I'm sure you could trace it back even farther - he was the spark which lit the powderkeg.

We are damned if we do and damned if we don't.

Now you know how the Romans felt.

Loretta: And it's safe to walk in the streets at night now, Reg.

FRANCIS: Yeah, they certainly know how to keep order. Let's face it. They're the only ones who could in a place like this.

REG: All right, but apart from the sanitation, the medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, a fresh water system, and public health... What have the Romans ever done for us?

XERXES: Brought peace.

REG: Oh. Peace? Shut up!