PDA

View Full Version : Sonic Riders, You Cur-sed Beast!

Deathscythealpha
Oct 9, 2006, 04:39 PM
Video Games encourage violence. Well, not all games, just the unfair ones. I come to this conclusion due to be nearly tossing Sonic Riders out of my damned window!

What is this game? What were SEGA trying to achieve other then putting homicidal thoughts into today’s gamers? Why couldn’t they have just ripped off 'Trickstyle' wholesale instead of producing this half assed crud?

Ok, my main problems with this game:

1) The controls. Modern pads have 8 buttons, Sonic Riders decides to use 4 of these buttons and double up actions. Why? To infuriate I’m sure (That was the main goal of this game I really am sure). For some Unknown reason the 'Boost' action and the 'Attack button have been mapped to the same button, leaving you confused and bewildered as to what’s going on. Tails really suffers the worst for this because as soon as you try to boost, you do his lame attack animation and slow down a hell of a lot. Not fun. Jumping also seems to be the most redundant action ever as once again, it slows you down and when you do finally get off the ground on a ramp and perform a trick...you slow down. Aggravating.

2) Gameplay. Sucks. It just sucks. As mentioned in controls, you seemingly slow down whenever you perform any action what so ever.

Catch certain corners and you ping-pong around in a horrible epileptic mess and ye old pits of death seem too ripe. I also found getting launched too high will result in a 'Fall' as i finally managed to use a speed booster and disappeared off the map entirely.

Grind rails seem totally pointless in the game as well as its so ruddy hard to land on them, mostly due to the rubbish jumping.

There’s also some really random Analogue stick spinning sections that slow down the gameplay even more and are just horrible throwbacks to the series platforming routes. A nice Quick Time event that shows off the graphics can be nice in a platformer, but in a racing game it leaves you thumping the pad wanting to actually catch up with the other riders.

3) Voice Overs/Story/Concept. All three are weak. Oh, I know I shouldn’t approach a Sonic game expecting Shakespeare, but the gibberish that is spouted here is just unbearable. A floating island of thief’s who vanished centuries ago but still somehow managed to be the masters of a technologically advance hover board racing game? Yeah, ok SEGA, you keep smoking that crazy pipe.

I’ve played this game for an hour, an hour of my life I wont get back, and I am sick of it. The box has been banished to the upper most reaches of my great shelves, hidden behind my Chun Li PS2 pad and some crap that has generally amassed over the past 5 months. I could say that the only saving grace was that I only paid 5GBP for this game, yet that still feels like I’ve been given the shitty end of the stick. If SEGA had given this game away, they probably would have thrown in a punch to the jaw as well, that would throw off the misery you would feel from playing the game.

In conclusion, I hate Sonic Riders. Deeply hate Sonic Riders. It has reached the depths of crappiness once only inhabited by 'Bubsy 3D' and together both games will fester and boil over with evil. I dread the day some poor, defenceless gamer opens the tomb of Bubsy 3D and Sonic Riders, as on that day their gaming life will end.

adamgnome104
Oct 9, 2006, 06:02 PM
The Sonic franchise: Abandone all hope ye who enter.

PJ
Oct 9, 2006, 07:59 PM
I'm surprised. Cause I really like Sonic Riders. In fact, at a point, the multiplayer was more popular in my house than Smash Bros.

Then Smash Bros came back.

Daikarin
Oct 10, 2006, 10:31 AM
When I first got into Green Cave I had no idea where the hell I was going. And just to finish the original Babylon track in Story mode, I nearly threw the pad out the window. Sonic Riders is glitchy, and the controls aren't that great either.

Kizaragu
Oct 10, 2006, 01:11 PM
Well, I warned you it was bad! Damn your love for Sonic DSAlpha!
It's just like an ex-girlfriend, teasing you with visions of what you could have, promising to make up for past mistakes, FOOBARRING YOU OVER when it comes to the crunch.