PDA

View Full Version : Great, you made me feel like an animal. =/

Leviathan
Oct 11, 2006, 07:27 PM
Well at school I'm basically teh shyest person there. =P So anytime <<like today>> I decided to get into a conversation I say one word and everybody goes...

"OMIGOSH YOU CAN TALK!!"

"OOOH SAY ANOTHER WORD!!"

"SAY A SENTENCE!!"

"SAY MY NAME!!!!11!!"

Wow, now you made me feel like some circus animal that is obligated to do tricks for you. This sucks because ALL but 2 of my friends are seniors so I don't have classes with them. The other 2 I have on an alterneting days. I just want for everybody to get off my back, because I said 1 'effin the whole world goes "ooh!" and "aww". http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif

An people who say...

"Hey I know this guy I can hook you up with..."

I'm not interested in dating right now nor was I 5 'effin minutes ago when you asked the same question. <<thats right 5 minutes ago.>> http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif

"You can sneek out..."

No, I'm not going to lie to my parents to go out on a crummy date with a guy that I barely know, and also I want to keep that thing that you call what is it? Oh yeah trust with my parents.

(//.X)

CupOfCoffee
Oct 11, 2006, 07:44 PM
Yep... that'll happen in high school. I was a quietish type, too, in some of my classes. But it was more of a really laid-back, relaxed type of quiet. I'd be the guy with legs crossed and hands behind his head, leaning back in his chair... while not saying a word to anyone.

When I had Bio II, I was a junior and everyone else was a senior, so I never really said much. Then one time, the teacher was like, "Does anyone know what red blood cells need to carry oxygen?" I looked around and since nobody was saying anything, I answered, "Hemoglobin." Everyone was quiet for a second and then just started cracking up. The girl who sat next to me was like, "Okay, I have this theory. I think Jack always knows every single answer but he never says anything because he thinks it's funny that he's the only one who knows. But sometimes he's just not in the mood to play games, and busts out stuff like 'hemoglobin.'" Everyone looked to me for confirmation, so I kind of half-smiled and said, "Yup," which made them laugh even harder.

I suppose the moral of the story is that confidence is the real key. Even if you never say a word, people will think you're awesome if you give off an aura of not needing to say a word. Maybe it's a mind over matter type thing, because not everyone is able to do it. So... actually, sorry. This may not have helped at all. Hopefully it did, though. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Himmelhand
Oct 11, 2006, 07:59 PM
In Jr. High I was the quiet kid. I know what it was like. Just loosen up and don't deal with punks like that. As far as I can tell, honors students tend to be more liberal and understanding, the problem is they have the attitude of an honors student. Just join a club that you think is fun or something and hang out with people there, because they are more likely to share interests with you and be more friendly. Like bowling club. Everyone at bowling club at my school doesn't care if you join their games or whatever. Ping-pong club is pretty casual, I think, but I'm not a member.

Milo_Jast
Oct 11, 2006, 08:39 PM
You could always just kill 'em all and be all "WANT ME TO SAY YOUR NAME NOW!?!?!?" But thats just the sociopath talking in me http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

navci
Oct 11, 2006, 09:29 PM
"SAY MY NAME!!!!11!!"

English being not my first language (way to go sentence structure), people find amusement when I say some words. .. I dunno, like, big-ass truck. It was fun at first then annoying. At which point I'd say something angrily containing some swear words. Then people all started to like omg that was so cute, do it again!

Then I stabbed all of their faces with forks. That usually shut them up.

Hrigg
Oct 11, 2006, 09:51 PM
That's pretty much how I was in my younger years. Hell, I'm still a pretty quiet pretty quiet person.

However, I never experienced the "ZOMG! U CN TAK!!!!" that you are going through.

The most I can really say is basically speak up a bit more, and maybe they won't make such a big deal about it. I know that's pretty crappy advice, but it might work. If it doesn't work though, I don't know what to say.

MadEwokHerd
Oct 11, 2006, 10:37 PM
People get shocked when I talk. I've grown use to it. It doesn't bother me at all. I choose not to talk because I don't desperately seek the attention of all those around me. If I did, I would wear clothes deemed as "cool" or pop music, or at least music that's more popular. I would listen to Metallica if I cared about what all the "Metal Kids" thought about me.
When people are shocked that I can talk, if I feel like humoring them, I'll say something like "No shit," or "Oh my god! You're retarded!" They tend to leave me alone.

Solstis
Oct 11, 2006, 11:15 PM
I like talking to people because socializing fulfills a physical need for community, or something like that. In some of my classes, people are surprised if I have nothing to say, and in others, they'd probably gasp and clutch their chests if I did.

Really based on what environment I'm in and how confident I am.

MadEwok, by the way, you sound like you're a step away from screaming "You don't understand me! My emotional and mental depth would drown you!" Not socializing with people at all is just as unhealthy as being a social whore. As navi would say, moderation and all that.

On a side note, excuse the language (and when I used "shit" earlier), my bf thinks that it is funny when I say "asshole." http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif. I have problems pronouncing some words. Probably some autistic-like reason, but oh well.

MadEwokHerd
Oct 11, 2006, 11:22 PM
I will socialize with people. It's just on my terms. While I agree that people don't understand me, it doesn't matter whether or not I talk with them. Even friends don't completely understand me. It's not any part of a plan. I'm just me. I never come close to screaming. I never even come close to saying my emotional and mental depth would drown a person.

-memoru-
Oct 12, 2006, 10:20 AM
I'm a quiet, shy person, but people never did that to me. >_> they usually kept away from me like i had some type of disease or something. Unless, they wanted me to help them with schoolwork or homework.

Eh, i dunno, maybe i was just weird to them i suppose. ;x

KodiaX987
Oct 12, 2006, 10:46 AM
In USA, I was considered a freakshow because I spoke French.

People would keep asking me despite repeated attempts at punches in the face.

Orange_Coconut
Oct 12, 2006, 11:11 AM
I was always a shy person, still am to a certain extent. The people that give you that kind of crap are the ones that look dumb, not you. Think about it this way, little kids find it amusing when you do stupid, simple things such as hiding your face with your hands (that's only really for infants), maybe pretending to be a monster and chase them around for a bit. That may not seem to hit the point you're talking about at all, but think about it this way, those stupid classmates are easily amused -- just like little kids. They haven't grown up yet, it's your job to show them you have which in turn will make them shut up. If you keep doing the monster thing forever the kid will eventually get bored, just try to show them you can talk because obviously you have no problem with speaking.

Shy or not, there is always room for improvement. I became more social in my senior year because I realized I wasn't getting anywhere by avoiding people. Even the people who I thought I disliked are sometimes interesting to talk to, doesn't mean you have to hang out with them or anything. A conversation is a conversation, nothing more. There isn't much effort in the actual conversation once you are able to start it, initiating it is always the hard part.

Obviously you will be shy in certain situations, but there's no need to be shy or embarassed to speak (I don't know if that's how you feel, I'm just going off of what I felt back then) especially when they're the ones who should be embarassed about how they're acting.

Leviathan
Oct 12, 2006, 01:06 PM
Well thanks for the advice. My usual friends I hang around I actually talk to and they understand me. These people I don't even know their name just randomly come up to me and ask me these questions.

I still have my other problem that is posted on my 1st post. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

navci
Oct 12, 2006, 01:43 PM
On 2006-10-12 08:46, KodiaX987 wrote:
In USA, I was considered a freakshow because I spoke French.

People would keep asking me despite repeated attempts at punches in the face.

So Shuri. How do you say "Do you want some ice cream pie in your nosetril" in French? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Abaru-FP
Oct 12, 2006, 07:23 PM
I'm the youngest person at work, and the new guy, so I hardly talk to anyone. The wait staff sometimes runs in and out of my dish room, and because I don't flag them down to have a heart to heart I've somehow managed to be pegged as "the quiet type". One bartender in particular has made it her personal goal to have a conversation with me. She'll come in and say things like "Some day I'll get you to talk to me" and "how come you never say anything to me?”

And anyway, I totally know how you feel. It’s nice that she puts on the effort, but sometimes I get the feeling she’s talking down to me. I mean, what are you supposed to say when you're busting your ass on a busy as fuck Friday night and someone looks you in the face and says "how come you never talk?"

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Abaru-FP on 2006-10-12 18:57 ]</font>

Q_Anon
Oct 12, 2006, 09:41 PM
High School is stereotype central. Just learning to live with it is really the only thing you can do.

As for those people, it kinda reminds me of back in 5th grade where I was basically silent everywhere except class. Then, one day on the bus I decided to turn around and all the 6th graders are like ZOMG IT'S ALIVE. Yeah...I never turned around again.

It doesn't sound like they did this on purpose, so it was just an honest mistake out of curiosity. But, if it happens again just ask yourself this: Am I an animal? No. YOU decide how you feel about yourself. NOT, them.

Leviathan
Oct 12, 2006, 10:10 PM
^ I don't know they say it every time I get quiet and let me remind you these guys are people who don't even know my name.