PDA

View Full Version : College Stuff

Himmelhand
Oct 11, 2006, 09:08 PM
I won't be on the forums for a few days, because I'm going to visit Texas A&M's ROTC program. Anyone else in college/looking at colleges?

Axios-
Oct 11, 2006, 09:30 PM
I'm in college!

PJ
Oct 11, 2006, 09:35 PM
Since I'm in Grade 12, I'm in the very unfun, frustrating stage of having to worry about University decisions and all that crap. Not really looking forward to the decision.

But what I AM looking forward to is Grad Photos/Grad comments in the yearbook. I plan to have, "KEC CALLED IT!" SOMEWHERE in my comment.

I'm thinking of Ryerson for University, don't need to know what/where that is C:

CupOfCoffee
Oct 11, 2006, 10:58 PM
I'm in college! It rules more than anything else I've ever done. All the colors are brighter and the air smells cleaner and there's free bowling on Thursdays. And even though the concrete white walls of my dorm sometimes more closely resemble a prison than a home, they're beautiful in their own interesting way. There are a lot of kids armed with frisbees and nerf footballs, too.

But yeah, college rules. Everyone should go if they can.

Solstis
Oct 11, 2006, 11:17 PM
College will open your eyes to all the stupidity around you.

Take the time though, and indulge in some of it, and find out how fun it can be to act like a kid some days (in moderation!).

dude3282
Oct 12, 2006, 04:41 PM
I'm a freshman in college. So far here's what I gather

The good thing about college is that you get to make your own decisions. You have a lot more freedom and can do basically whatever you want.

The bad thing about college is that you get to make your own decisions. No one is helping you out, and you not only have to make decisions, but live with the consequences that follow.

All in all: I heartily recommend it. Funny you should mention Texas A&M, my cousin goes there. You should look her up. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Sinue_v2
Oct 12, 2006, 04:50 PM
I'm taking a basic CIT course at a local IVY Tech community collage. Nothing fancy, but I can get my MSCE through them and it'll give me some good background in both hardware and software for when I finally do decide on a career.

Dangerous55
Oct 12, 2006, 06:13 PM
Eh, college is overrated, believe me. Fun at times though!

CherryLunar
Oct 12, 2006, 10:10 PM
I'm a freshman at a community college this year. I'm waiting two years before I transfer to RSAD (http://www.rsad.edu) in Sarasota. I want to get my Bachelors in Computer Animation. But my portfolio is lacking goot pieces at the moment and boy do I need money... Tuition is a steep 30k a year or more. @_@

astuarlen
Oct 12, 2006, 11:13 PM
This is my second year at college, so I'm neither a total newbie nor an expert yet. ;p But I have formed some opinions:

-It's not necessarily about where you go--that is, don't feel like you have to shell out 30 or 40k to go to a "big name school"--but what you do. Put in your time, your thoughts, and your effort.
-Colleges have several valuable resources, including your profs, your peers, and your campus library. Use.
-Don't go crazy once you're off your parents' leash. Think maturity and moderation.

I'd say more, but I ought to be hitting the pen-and-ink. :>

MaximusLight
Oct 13, 2006, 12:04 AM
Second year as well
(university)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: MaximusLight on 2006-10-12 22:08 ]</font>

solidsolo
Oct 13, 2006, 10:39 AM
Im a senior in college.. graduating in two months!!! (business management)

Drown
Oct 13, 2006, 12:44 PM
3rd year university, Majoring in music performance(I'm a sax player).

University/College is good times, get to study what you actually want to, and it really isn't that bad aside from a few really hectic weeks, what with midterms and 3rd year recitals coming up.

Good experience though, I plan to get at least one more degree. Stay in school, kiddies.

Arcturus
Oct 13, 2006, 10:23 PM
Nice Drown! A fellow musician! I hope to be accepted to Berklee College of Music, with a major in film scoring and minor in music synthesis. I play trumpet, but I'm more of a composer (I LOOOOOVE writing electronica/techno).

Kismet
Oct 14, 2006, 05:03 PM
I'm planning to move to the UK since it's cheaper and easier to go to/get into college there. Would you believe that Oxford is 27,893 a year? (And that price includes the cost to move there AND a dorm.)

Screw America! Europe here I come!

MaximusLight
Oct 14, 2006, 09:19 PM
... that isn't very cheap.... I'm at a school for $12000 for the entire year... and it's a good university too...

Kizzy
Oct 15, 2006, 09:48 AM
On 2006-10-14 19:19, MaximusLight wrote:
... that isn't very cheap.... I'm at a school for $12000 for the entire year... and it's a good university too...

Do you live in California or Texas? Those are the only two states I can think of where it would be that cheap. But, if you're extremely smart and dedicated, costs of colleges shouldn't matter with the scholarship factor and all. Or, if you're just filthy rich, like I am. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Anyways, I want to go to school in a diverse setting. Oxford has over 130 different nationalities of students... that's awesome. And Europe is just so beautiful and romantic. (Going to college overseas makes your resume look good, too.)

astuarlen
Oct 15, 2006, 10:14 AM
On 2006-10-15 07:48, Kizzy wrote:

On 2006-10-14 19:19, MaximusLight wrote:

Do you live in California or Texas? Those are the only two states I can think of where it would be that cheap. But, if you're extremely smart and dedicated, costs of colleges shouldn't matter with the scholarship factor and all. Or, if you're just filthy rich, like I am. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Anyways, I want to go to school in a diverse setting. Oxford has over 130 different nationalities of students... that's awesome. And Europe is just so beautiful and romantic. (Going to college overseas makes your resume look good, too.)

I'd say $12000 for tuition plus room and board is a pretty good price and not unfeasible if you look at in-state rates for state universities. Obviously, it varies, and out-of-state costs can be vastly more--more than some private schools, in fact. ;o

As far as getting scholarships and aid... From what I've experienced and heard, the juiciest scholarships are only to be found at private schools. At least where I am, state schools aren't known to fork over very much, regardless of academic performance or need. Maybe if you're an athlete? ;p Thank God for federal loans, though, even if there's a pretty low limit, amirite?

Axios-
Oct 15, 2006, 12:05 PM
The government hasn't figured out that I don't have money. Huzzah!

Axios-
Oct 15, 2006, 12:05 PM
[mystical double post]

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Axios- on 2006-10-15 10:05 ]</font>

Himmelhand
Oct 15, 2006, 09:21 PM
I got back, A&M is pretty cool. We won the football game. The program I was with got seats right at the south end zone. And I was on national TV for a brief second. My mom taped the game and stuff, and watched to see if I showed up.

Drown
Oct 16, 2006, 09:42 PM
On 2006-10-13 20:23, Arcturus wrote:
Nice Drown! A fellow musician! I hope to be accepted to Berklee College of Music, with a major in film scoring and minor in music synthesis. I play trumpet, but I'm more of a composer (I LOOOOOVE writing electronica/techno).

Always good to meet a fellow musician. Composition major, good for you. Thats a lot of theory, which isn't exactly my favourite part. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif Maybe we'll get a chance to talk online and compare notes sometime, if you're on pc, that is.