PDA

View Full Version : Need an opinion on Rangers

KveerRaven
Oct 12, 2006, 11:44 AM
Hey guys, been a while since I posted anything regarding gameplay. I've been on PSO break for 3 years. Finally got my own copy and a GC. I started play a HUcast and RAmar last night. I like both, a lot! HUcast because I'm partial to Hunters for their all around usability with the majority of the weapon classes and techniques out there. I started a RAmar because I needed a change of pace. I love him, its great to be able to hit every time with a handgun, rifle and a shot. The only thing that's scaring me is the lack of attack power, though that is slowly creeping up there.

Anyway, I can't decide which I want to start a new career with. Any opinions on Rangers, even Hunters are welcome. Thanks in advance!

Psyclone
Oct 12, 2006, 01:04 PM
I have one of each (Ranger, Hunter, and Force) and I enjoy playing them all quite a bit. The cool part, IMHO, is the complete difference in tactics, strategy, and attack style required to make each Class successful.

Granted, Rangers don't have near the ATP that Hunters have. However, they excel in ATA, DFP, and EVP as well as HP, generally. Something that really helps the Rangers is to get weapons with good Photon Percentages. An additional 50% power against Native can be quite effective. Also, with their higher ATA, Rangers are generally more effective with specials. Hitting more frequently with stopping weapons (Arrest and Blizzard) and/or HP-cutting weapons (Devil's and Demon's) can certainly make up for lower power. Finally, Berserk/Spirit/Charge weapons, especially with Hit%, will also greatly "equalize" the power gap dealing very respectable damage at the expense of HP/TP/Meseta.

In addition to my three primaries, I also have a RAcast-Hunter hybrid that I enjoy for a change of pace. Armed with S-Beat's Blade, Soul Eater, Frozen Shooter, and Spread Needle, Typhoon can lay-down a reasonable smackdown in melee and still fall back for range and stopping. The only stat that HUcast outclasses RAcast is ATP. The RAcast's higher HP, DFP, EVP, and ATA means that he can generally last a little longer and hits much more consistently, especially with specials. (But RAcast can't use the really cool Hunter weapons... http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif ).

KojiroAK
Oct 12, 2006, 01:08 PM
Don't bother with Ramars less ATP, he can compensate it through Shifta pretty good.

The question about the characters can't be answered finaly.
It always depends on your playstyle.

So check the character sections to look wich you prefer.

If you want a Ranger with high basic ATP and like Droids RAcast can be your favorite, but be aware they have weak DFP and do often kiss the ground.

RAmarl looks at the first pretty weak but after S/D/J/Z they can compare with the others.

RAcaseal have the highest DFP of all the Rangers what can give her a benefit in some Battles, the weakness in ATP they can compensate with Mag pretty goods without getting lack in DFP.

At the moment i prefer RAmarl on Ranger side.

Genoa
Oct 12, 2006, 10:51 PM
IMO, seeing you can only have 4 to a memory card... I say you should have:
-Hunter
-Ranger
-Force (caster)
-Force (melee)
To try everyone out
I'd have to say the characters I enjoy playing with the most are HUcaseal, RAcaseal, FOnewm, and FOmarl
My casting force is not really the support Force >_> better at just teching things to death, good solo.
My support force isn't really that great at casting... but it awesome with a party. You don't have to worry about trying to kill everything yourself, you have a party of people that you can easily support with your double range in s/d/r/a, you can j/z, freeze, and weaken the enemies so that it's easier for your party to kill them... It's just an awesome support character.
But when it comes to Hunter and Ranger, I'm gunna be the hot shot >_> no techs for me, I like my traps, and I like dishin out the big numbers. My problem with HUcast is his accuracy though, and I like the appearance of HUcaseal > HUcast IMO. And RAcast is okay, but RAcaseals are made of win and awesome http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Kevino
Oct 13, 2006, 08:35 AM
concidering i really like rangers i'd say in relation to megamanx

-ranger (RAmar)
-ranger (RAcast)
-hunter (HUnewmearl)
-force (FOmarl

KveerRaven
Oct 13, 2006, 11:53 AM
Hey guys, thanks for the posts. I decided to play both a Hunter and Ranger and I'm leveling them up at equal rates. Here's what I have:

Zero (HUcast)
Lvl 8 Redria

Phoenix (RAmar)
Lvl 8 Greenill

KojiroAK
Oct 13, 2006, 12:47 PM
I suggest to focus on one of both and later carry over some good items from the one to the other.
(like weapons, mag, units, armory)

Makes the second one easyer.

BlueKnight
Oct 13, 2006, 01:41 PM
I have a lv 195 Ramar and I think he is very good. He is very strong when you use lv 15 Shifta and lv 15 Dband that will help him out allot. Most of my combo's with my meck guns the monster die when I have lv 15 shifta.

I have a Racast at lv 200 he is very strung and his hp at 2284 it is very high. With him you can get hit by many monsters and survive any thing. Racast will be a good C-Mode player. I beat C-Mode with him and I thout it was not verey hard.

I think that will help you out.

VIRIDIA_HUNTER
Dec 30, 2006, 02:46 PM
heh I have a Lv 120 RAmar which I named ZGMF-X42S. He was horrible to start out with, but with Shifta and Deband plus a Hell Laser, he's no problem at all. Pull out lots of damage with mechguns because a RAmar won't miss too much. its so fun heh

xxTrystanxx
Dec 30, 2006, 02:49 PM
This post is over two months old. As a rule, it's frowned upon to bump something over two weeks old. If you'd like to continue the discussion elsewhere, feel free to make a new thread.

And, if it hasn't been said already, Welcome to PSOW!

Oh, and before this gets locked... RAcaseals are teh 1337! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif