PDA

View Full Version : PSO without a good alphanumerical american keyboard sucks.

Dabra
Nov 10, 2002, 05:11 PM
So Sega promised us a keyboard about a month ago. See a keyboard? no.

This is pathetic. When you release an online game to the states, you have to have the whole package. At least some good sort of communication. Everyone can manipulate a keyboard nowadays, was it that hard to start to make one earlier and release one as soon as possible? Or a headset? If you can write you can talk.

Hell, i had 500 hours on one of my characters in PSO dreamcast and i never reached level 100. Why? Because i prefer chatting, socializing, roleplaying with new people around the globe. I could arrange a trade or talk an issue with people in a matter of seconds. Now Nintendo, sonic team and sega expects me to trade, say Hi, by taking over 30 seconds on every bubble, add to that the internet delay? Pathetic I tell you.

Thing is, I took the liberty to import the game, along with the freeloader and the BBA, dealing with my parents hassling over credit cards and "hackers". Next thing, the Freeloader can't get out because they don't know the coding to get it on nintendo's mini-discs. Can you say, "disorganized"?

Couldn't cancell it, 15 bucks down the drain.

Next thing i had to mod the thing. I have complete airheads here in Montreal that are too afraid to take risks and touch my gamecube. So now i have to send my gamecube, with no source of tracking it, to the states, which was out of the question. But i managed to do it, and got the cube modded about a week after japanese pso release.

I was missing a kbrd, but said to myself i will level up in the meantime and buy the kbrd once it's out in the US along with the game.

Then friends like Bobjones and Steve stopped playing. Asking them why was too stupid because the only apparent answer was the lack of kbrd. Which i was then right.

Bah, I wasn't going to get influenced. So i planned to level up offline before i registered my 30 days free online. But it got boring fast so i just hopped online. Then realized i went through the hassle of getting a trial version (the screwed up one), another stupid move by sonic team and sega.

And being called a n00b after i played pso over 700 hours total and being able to replay a minute after with FU or "um no" was painful. So i gave up playing, was worthless to play a fucked up trial version and being privilaged from communication. It's not what i payed for.

For you out there, now having the US version in your hands, and playing online, I don't know how you're handling it. It's almost similar to playing offline but with smarter bots O_O;;

Why didn't Nintendo put in 1 or 2 USB ports if they weren't going to release a keyboard soon? Incompetant fools.

Sure I'm only stating my opinion, but I just can't get into into my head how most of you are having fun. I play an internet game to be with real people. Why else would one play on the net? PSO isn't even about skill or competition, like Quake or WC3. I would live swell without a kbrd in those sort of games.

Bottom line, Sega and sonic team are disorganized. I could also accuse Nintendo but i don't think they were responsable for the game's developpement and requirements for hardware.

PS: THIS IS NOT A FLAME OR A RANT, so don't move it. I know i'm bashing and judging ST, sega and nintendo but I am mostly opening the case regarding the trembling and risky debut of online play on gamecube. Mainly about PSO. I'll give you a cookie if you don't move it.

MilkManX
Nov 10, 2002, 05:22 PM
Yeah I want my Keyboard too. I only play online with my friends and my brother because without the keyboard it takes too long too tell someone to stop being an item hog.

Vashin
Nov 10, 2002, 05:44 PM
eh its more fun to cuss your friends out in person then through the game. thats why i mainly play with my friends.

OmegaofTime
Nov 10, 2002, 06:02 PM
I don't why anybody is surprised about this. Sega has always screwed up starting the 32-bit era and they'll continue to do so until the company fires the bottle necks. They also suffered a lot of heavy losses with their sports line against EA, which they could have at least compensated for with the sell of the keyboard. Apparently, PSO GC is doing well and the keyboard would have helped them in profits.

Don't expect much until next year. Even if they or some other poor ass 3rd party started plans last month or this month for a keyboard, it's still going to take two to three months for a keyboard to actually start shipping. My friend asked an EB sales representative in San Diego about a keyboard release, and he said around next year (probably January), which sounds about right. (Yeah, I already know how unreliable information is from them, but also count the fact that they would be fired for giving false information also.)

SkyHawkX
Nov 10, 2002, 06:05 PM
This post deserves a big, fat DUH.

Kupi
Nov 10, 2002, 06:41 PM
I don't mind the lack of a keyboard so much, given shortcuts, symbol chats, and plain old body language. Not being able to chat pointlessly keeps people focused on the game, which is rather fun IMO. The chatter I can do on message boards such as this one and the play I do within the game. If you find someone you really like and don't know from a board, you can always trade emails or direct them to a site. I don't see what the big deal is; all a keyboard would be is terribly, terribly convinient.

jazzyfox
Nov 10, 2002, 06:43 PM
You realize Sega isn't a hardware company anymore, right?

/cry more n00bs

Wewt
Nov 10, 2002, 06:47 PM
On 2002-11-10 15:43, jazzyfox wrote:
You realize Sega isn't a hardware company anymore, right?

/cry more n00bs

You do realise that Sega should stop telling us bullshit without backing it up. Anybody remember the ol' Dreamcast commercials... "Play with people all around the world." How long did it take them to fulfill that promise?

jazzyfox
Nov 10, 2002, 07:07 PM
I'm sorry but Sega (now a software company), saying "yeah we'll make you a keyboard" is like Ford saying "Yeah we'll make you a house".

Anyhow, you can sum up this entire post by "I knew that PSO didn't have a keyboard available. However, I bought it anyways. What bastards, there's not a keyboard available I hate playing without one!".

Wewt
Nov 10, 2002, 07:17 PM
You don't get it. They released a product that didn't have full support to allow the user the best experience possible. I know that they're a software company now(even though they still make arcade machines), but they should've really pushed Nintendo to have a keyboard ready for its release.

Woggy
Nov 10, 2002, 07:29 PM
Fuck the GameCube version, Xbox all the way. I can't wait, I'll be able to type and talk right from the start. Microsoft 0wNz j00.

Woggy
Nov 10, 2002, 07:30 PM
BTW, Sega never said there would be a keyboard in the US at all.

Agent_Reav
Nov 10, 2002, 07:36 PM
SEGA just wanted to make a quick buck and it has somewhat accomplished this goal. But what does this mean for the consumer? PSO Gamecube will receive very little, if any, support. Sure it made them money now... But if they had taken the time to make sure PSO GC was great it could have been making them money for years to come. I have higher hopes for PSO Xbox (Voice Comm is awesome) but I still think we won't see Sonic Team making big strides in the series till PSO 2 (XBOX).

Woggy
Nov 10, 2002, 07:44 PM
What, do you all think Sega can just wave a magic wand and make there be a keyboard? We don't know if Sega/Sonic Team tried or not.. and for all you know, there's a manufacture making a keyboard right now..

BUT NO ONE KNOWS. Quit your fucking whining.

Dabra
Nov 10, 2002, 08:00 PM
On 2002-11-10 16:07, jazzyfox wrote:
Anyhow, you can sum up this entire post by "I knew that PSO didn't have a keyboard available. However, I bought it anyways. What bastards, there's not a keyboard available I hate playing without one!".

Actually no. I was confident they would make one by the time the game hits US shelves. I mean if Japan has their ASCII kbrd, why shouldn't we get ours before release? So you can most likely summerize like this:

"I knew the keyboard would come out soon so i bought pso to level up earlier. Then news came up that i couldn't play with US gamers so i stopped playing and lost hope in sega and ST for forcing me to buy the us version and for not bringing me a damn kbrd when it was due. Sega sucks."

Hmm that's pretty long...

Zio
Nov 10, 2002, 08:16 PM
Nintendo is the one making the modems and keyboards, yell at them for not supplying one to the US.

M_BlackHawk
Nov 11, 2002, 09:19 AM
personally, I smell conspiracy. In the DC version, everyone had a keyboard, and no one used the word select system. Maybe, just maybe, to force the use of word select, Nintendo didn't release a keyboard.

I think I'll just order one imported and be done with it. Anyone know if the import ASCII keyboard works with the US release?

later

M_BlackHawk

M_BlackHawk
Nov 11, 2002, 09:19 AM
personally, I smell conspiracy. In the DC version, everyone had a keyboard, and no one used the word select system. Maybe, just maybe, to force the use of word select, Nintendo didn't release a keyboard.

I think I'll just order one imported and be done with it. Anyone know if the import ASCII keyboard works with the US release?

BTW: Zio II, that gun in your sig looks sweet..what in the world is it? New look for the Inferno Bazooka?

later

M_BlackHawk

diospadre
Nov 11, 2002, 01:15 PM
just because you say this isn't a rant doesn't mean it isn't.

Nerd
Nov 11, 2002, 01:22 PM
am i the only one having fun with this game??

I love knockin them baboons off so they make that croaking monkey noise...and those pig plants that squeel and run off when they are hurt, exxxxxxcellent!

charr
Nov 11, 2002, 01:50 PM
If you love the game so much that you're willing to...

1. Import the Japanese version
2. Buy a Freeloader
3. Find a way to Mod your GameCube
4. Buy the U.S. version
5. Find a modem or Broadband adapater
6. Play the US version
7. Write about your feelings

...then why don't you just import a keyboard?

I'm not telling you to stop whining. I definitely sympathize with you. But the more you play on PSO without a keyboard, the more you get used to it. And it's still very very fun.

Otherwise, wait for the Xbox version. It sounds like it will be *way* better when it launches.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Nov 11, 2002, 03:15 PM
On 2002-11-11 06:19, M_BlackHawk wrote:

later

M_BlackHawk

No use in a "translated to five languages word select" if it only translates to one.

But I will be using it like a madman instead of typing with the software keyboard. I will use the software keyboard to set universal shortcuts for certain situations and when its absolutely necessary.

Old news. The Import keyboard works with the US release. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif Spend your money wisely/accordingly.

haterade
Nov 11, 2002, 05:47 PM
Welp, I wish they had a fuckin' keyboard out, because thanks to Nintendo's incompetence, the only way I can type in my ISP's password is through the fuckin keyboard... no ` key on the modem info soft keyboard... I swear I'm a fuckin step away from exchanging this whole shit and doing something worthwhile with my money...

charr
Nov 11, 2002, 07:01 PM
Change your password with your ISP. You probably just have to call them and ask to have it changed. Or go to their website...

Or trade it all in for an Xbox...

haterade
Nov 11, 2002, 07:13 PM
On 2002-11-11 16:01, charr wrote:
Change your password with your ISP. You probably just have to call them and ask to have it changed. Or go to their website...

I would, but I'm not sure if they'd do that since my password with the ` is how it is when it's decoded, and I'm assuming that the basic bullshit they gave me that wasn't meant to be decoded will work for an online game...

Or trade it all in for an Xbox...

Sure... if I wasn't on dial-up...

Dabra
Nov 11, 2002, 10:01 PM
On 2002-11-11 14:47, haterade wrote:
Welp, I wish they had a fuckin' keyboard out because thanks to [b]Nintendo's incompetence[/b

Yay. Someone agrees.

the only way I can type in my ISP's password is through the fuckin keyboard... no ` key on the modem info soft keyboard

One step closer to haxoring haterade's account...only 5..erm....1-20 keys to go.

I swear I'm a fuckin step away from exchanging this whole shit

When's that step going to get stepped?

and doing something worthwhile with my money

Back to teh kraknutz i tel ye!

Dabra
Nov 11, 2002, 10:08 PM
charr, it's not just that, I'm also missing the US version. I imported because i planned to play with you all once it came here, and i had reached a huge level. But now that the japn version that came out the 3 first days was glitches, sega/st excluded that game's servers from the new japn and US version (repaired ones).

It's pretty logical by sega/st, but it was a dumb move to release an unsteady version. I mean they repaired it in less than 2 weeks, but ruined (if i can use that word) a lot of importers and japn buyers money.

'Tis why i'm not going to dish out another 50 for the game, and a 60 for the kbrd. Another issue, i have to deal with the keyboard's weird layout, which isn't at all the same as the one you and I are using at the moment.

Sucks to be a hardcore gamer, or worst, an importer.

Atax
Nov 11, 2002, 10:20 PM
It is neither Sega's nor Nintendo's responsibility to relase the Keyboard controller. ASCII manufactures them, so it's up to them to when it comes to releasing them outside of Japan.

So everyone, stop your b****ing about Sega and Nintendo, it isn't their fault. If you all want a keyboard so badly, go import one.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Atax on 2002-11-11 19:29 ]</font>

charr
Nov 11, 2002, 10:53 PM
On 2002-11-11 19:08, Dabra wrote:
charr, it's not just that, I'm also missing the US version. I imported because i planned to play with you all once it came here...

...but it was a dumb move to release an unsteady version. I mean they repaired it in less than 2 weeks, but ruined (if i can use that word) a lot of importers and japn buyers money...

I agree. It's unfortunate that the new version can't play with japanese/importers. Maybe that's why no official release date has been announced for PSO Xbox? Maybe they want to make sure it's just right.

Personally, I think Nintendo may have pushed Sega to release the game before it was ready in order to get online arena Micro$oft.

Truth be told, I think Micro$oft will own the online console arena within the next year. Sega is closing down at the end of the year (on the Dreamcast). Playstation only has a couple decent games (SOCOM: Navy Seals and Tribes) and Gamecube has nothing but PSO (and Animal Crossing in Japan).

Micorsoft also has some nice launch titles for Xbox live. If onl PSO were one of them...

Sorry you are so disapointed with PSO. I have a keyboard on order from Toys N Joys. It's gonna cost me $93. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif Like you, I'm tempted to return my PSO, my BBA and cancel my keyboard order and buy an Xbox (I'm currently borrowing my GC.) But there's other games I want to play: Metroid, Mario, Zelda, Starfox, Animal Crossing, just to name a few.

I wish I could tell you everything will be okay. Who knows if Sega will work to solve the server problem? Who knows if ASCII (AgeTec) will release a keyboard in the US when there's only one online game? If we're lucky, maybe we'll get a keyboard connecter like the one they made for the Dreamcast.

All I can say is keep your chin up and I hope you continue to enjoy PSO to the fullest -- regardless of what you decide to do.

Etrigan
Nov 11, 2002, 11:29 PM
Not Nintendo/SEGA's fault? Bullshoo. That's like Nintendo not releasing controllers at launch and saying, "oh, interact really dropped the ball."

*Edit: Making it PG-13, since there's no swear filter.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Etrigan on 2002-11-11 21:28 ]</font>