PDA

View Full Version : What's my chokepoint?

KodiaX987
Oct 15, 2006, 09:59 PM
I suspect my computer of having a major chokepoint. I hear comments from people who claim they can run games with twice the graphical details as I, despite having a similar setup. For instance, I run Oblivion at 800x600 with low-end details, and NFS Most Wanted at 800x600 with medium detail, while it's apparently possible to get both games to 1024x768 and max details with my card, and keep everything running smoothly. Loading of Windows and things in general seem to be slow in my eyes as well...

Anyway. Here are the specs, let me know about your diagnostics:

CPU: AMD Athlon 3200+ XP 64-bit compatible
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS A8V-E Deluxe
GRAPHICS: ASUS GeForce EN7600 GS Silent, connected through DVI
RAM: 1 GB DDR
SOUND: RealTek AC97 (Integrated)
NETWORK: Integrated
OPTICAL: LG DVD +/-RW drive
KEYBOARD & MOUSE: Connected through PS/2

HARD DRIVES: Four...
-One is 80 GB SATA, partitioned in 20 and 60 GB parts. One has Windows 2000 Pro on it, which I use 99.9% of the time, the other has Linux Fedora Core.
-One is an old 40 GB IDE, empty.
-One is a 250 GB IDE, about 90% full with misc. files.
-One is a 250 GB IDE, 50% full and contains all my installed games.

VioletSkye
Oct 15, 2006, 10:23 PM
Heh, over the years I've found that many people tend to exaggerate about their pc's performance ranging from a little white lie to a freaking huge fabrication. Also keep in mind that some gamers don't really understand exactly what settings they have (or that got defaulted to) in terms of visual candy.

There are numerous tests you can run that will benchmark your pc's performance (3D Mark, PC Mark, SiSoftware Sandra, SysMark, PassMark.)

Your system looks good to me. BTW, what speed is your RAM? I should also point out that the "silent" cards do not perform as well as their actively cooled brethren and run at a slower clock speed. I'd say it is a budget/midrange card and won't be capable of running the newest games at the higher settings.

So, to make a long story short, if someone has a seemingly similar system but is running a 7600GT instead of your 7600GS Silent, they are going to perform noticeably better.

Lastly, although the 3200+ is still a decent cpu, it is getting a bit long in the tooth. You could try upgrading to a faster cpu. Also if they have a dedicated soundcard that usually adds a few extra frames per second.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VioletSkye on 2006-10-15 21:09 ]</font>