PDA

View Full Version : I need help with speling English

Mitz
Oct 17, 2006, 04:06 PM
Yeah I'm Dutch, so my English isn't all that great.

Anyway, this has been bothering me lately because I know I do it wrong 90% of the time I use the word.

It's when to use 'then' and 'than'. I always use 'then' because if I use 'than', it just looks like it's written or typed wrong. I don't know when to use 'then' and when to use 'than' instead. XD.

Can someone please explain and help me, and I apologise if this seems weird, :3.

Eihwaz
Oct 17, 2006, 04:12 PM
Then is used to suggest something happening after something else. For instance: "First I will clean my room, then I will play Ocarina of Time."

Than, on the other hand, is used for comparisons. For instance: "Clayton is heavier than Adam."

Does that help?

Mitz
Oct 17, 2006, 04:31 PM
Hmm... a little bit what what about sentences where it's not used in those ways.

I mean stuff like "then why do we exist" and I'm sure it's used in other ways too. XD.

ABDUR101
Oct 17, 2006, 04:37 PM
"I'll play PSU now, rather than waste time doing homework." "Then when I finish my homework, I'll play more PSU."

I should have been an english teacher, yo.

roygbiv
Oct 17, 2006, 04:38 PM
'Then' is correct in that context.

Than is ONLY used to compare two things. I am taller than you... My milkshake brings all the boys to the yard... and they're like it's better than yours.

Think of it this way -> if you aren't comparing something then you should use then.

Also note that an "If something something happens" statement often precedes 'then' so in the example you gave what is actually being said is "[If what you say is true (or something along those lines)] then why do we exist?" You can leave off the If part though, because it is understood from context.

Moo2u
Oct 17, 2006, 04:47 PM
On 2006-10-17 14:37, ABDUR101 wrote:
"I'll play PSU now, rather than waste time doing homework." "Then when I finish my homework, I'll play more PSU."

I should have been an english teacher, yo.

It's all so clear to me now! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif

Mitz
Oct 17, 2006, 04:56 PM
On 2006-10-17 14:38, roygbiv wrote:
'Then' is correct in that context.

Than is ONLY used to compare two things. I am taller than you... My milkshake brings all the boys to the yard... and they're like it's better than yours.

Think of it this way -> if you aren't comparing something then you should use then.

Also note that an "If something something happens" statement often precedes 'then' so in the example you gave what is actually being said is "[If what you say is true (or something along those lines)] then why do we exist?" You can leave off the If part though, because it is understood from context.

That is clear enough, thanks a lot http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

Thanks to all the other people as well. :3!

HUnewearl_Meira
Oct 17, 2006, 05:03 PM
I wish I could contribute something more to this, but between Eihwaz and roygbiv, that's pretty much all there is to it. "Then" specifies a sequence, while "than" specifies a relationship. Even in your "Then why do we exist?" example, "then" is specifying a sequence of ideas; a flow of logic. Essentially, you use "Then" when you have something to say before you can adequately make your point.

The use of "than" rather exclusively follows the following syntax:
[object] is/are/in [property] than [another object with same or similar property]. I can't personally think of any examples that would use "than" in a different way than this. (In that sentence, we have "examples that would use than" as [object], "a different way" as the property, and "this" as [another object with same or similar property].)

I hope this helps your confusion. I should tell you that your English is actually rather good; better in fact, than some of the native-English speakers on this site. I'd like to congratulate you on your efforts.

Mitz
Oct 17, 2006, 05:15 PM
Thanks on the compliment. And I think it's way more clear now to me. =D

REJ-
Oct 17, 2006, 05:41 PM
The Engrish in this thread has very good grammer...

DikkyRay
Oct 17, 2006, 05:42 PM
My milkshake brings all the boys to the yard... and they're like it's better than yours
of all things you had to choose that...

HUnewearl_Meira
Oct 17, 2006, 05:45 PM
We do our best to impress the foreigners, DikkyRay. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

MaximusLight
Oct 17, 2006, 06:55 PM
Man I've lived in Canada all my life and I still don't think I get it...

Drown
Oct 18, 2006, 02:21 AM
I'm always amazed by the fact that people who grow up speaking english are among the worst people in the world at speaking it.

Yes, your english is very good. I actually never would have guessed it wasn't your native tongue if you hadn't mentioned it.

I like english, my university requested I switch my major to english after I took the two english classes required by my program. I stuck with music. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif