PDA

View Full Version : The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

Skyly
Oct 18, 2006, 12:08 AM
I bought this game until the drop of PSU and man does it freakin suck. I've barley played it, and its garbage. Is it worth it to give it another shot?

Dangerous55
Oct 18, 2006, 12:32 AM
I have never played it but played Morrowind to death on the X-Box. I am pretty sure when I get Oblivion it will be one of my favorite games of all time. You can do anything, so so so deep. Yes, love it or lose my respect.

Skyly
Oct 18, 2006, 12:34 AM
But when i sparked it up, it played like crap..!!

Dangerous55
Oct 18, 2006, 12:41 AM
On 2006-10-17 22:34, sklyl wrote:
But when i sparked it up, it played like crap..!!

Define crap. Why didnt you like it?

Bleemo
Oct 18, 2006, 12:44 AM
I 'spose it ain't yer cup of tea then.

Video games are a form of media. All about your own likes and dislikes. Going like, "ZOMG THIS GAME SUX GARBAGIE" is like saying, "To whoever likes this game: you like garbage."

Srsly now.

Zelutos
Oct 18, 2006, 12:53 AM
I saw some guy jumping around on the roof in a video of that game. Haha. I might play it when it goes down in price.

Skyly
Oct 18, 2006, 01:34 AM
Well i guess it wasnt to my prefence. A 1st person rpg??? I laugh at that. Menus were hard to small, tutorial didnt help much, it just did not grab me and say here stay and play me for hours upon end. I'm glad i get to get my money back for it. I do not recommend this game to anyone.

Kohana
Oct 18, 2006, 02:51 AM
The thing about PC RPGs is that in design they are nothing like the console ones. So console gamers who pick up something like this generally have false expectations and hate it. Personally I find it a lot of fun though as with bethesda's other games there are generally some poor design decisions that get irritating over time and prevent it from being a completely smooth experience. Thatnkfully though there are plenty of mods out for tweaking stuff I didn't like. It's a pretty fun game and probably would be more fun if I had a more powerful computer and didn't have to deal with as much loading. If you were into Morrowind you'll probably like Oblivion as it is much of the same thing only with nicer scenery than the brown waste that was Morrowind. However if you haven't and have primarily only played console RPGs then I suggest finding someway to try it out before buying it as it certainly is nothing like what you've previously played.

Dangerous55
Oct 18, 2006, 07:59 AM
On 2006-10-17 23:34, sklyl wrote:
Well i guess it wasnt to my prefence. A 1st person rpg??? I laugh at that. Menus were hard to small, tutorial didnt help much, it just did not grab me and say here stay and play me for hours upon end. I'm glad i get to get my money back for it. I do not recommend this game to anyone.

Shoulda gave it to me.

Solstis
Oct 18, 2006, 11:27 AM
I recommend Oblivion to everyone mature enough to handle it. If you are mature and don't like it, that's your problem. Seek therapy immediately.

Shigecki
Oct 18, 2006, 12:02 PM
On 2006-10-17 23:34, sklyl wrote:
A 1st person rpg??? I laugh at that.

Actually if you press either the right or left analog stick (been a while since I finished it) you can have third person. It's just easier to fight in first person.

Menus were hard to small, tutorial didnt help much

The menus take up half to all of the screen. The tutorial tells you everything you need to know to play the game. It's not that difficult of a game to understand.

I found it to be very entertaining. I spent about two hours just creating my character. Once I started playing it I couldn't put it down. Luckily there is so much more to do then just the main story. If anyone out there liked Morrowwind, they will love Oblivion.

Unlike the poster I would recommend the game to everyone.

Skett
Oct 18, 2006, 01:07 PM
It's a shame that you don't like it. I've been utterly addicted to it for quite a while now. In fact, I think I'm going to go play it.

RuneLateralus
Oct 18, 2006, 05:52 PM
I loved Elder Scrolls 4. Honestly, it was the best game I played so far this year. I gave up a lot of time playing the game and I love how you can easily play the game for 40 hours and not touch the main quest (especially the Thieves Guild and the Dark Brotherhood).

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: RuneLateralus on 2006-10-18 15:53 ]</font>

Shattered_weasel
Oct 18, 2006, 05:57 PM
The whole Dark Brotherhood storyline was better than the real one.

Himmelhand
Oct 18, 2006, 05:57 PM
I would imagine it's better on PC, because you can mod the game to include more content and change the gameplay (like the horrid level scaling system.. bandits shouldn't run around with the best armor in the game!).

navci
Oct 18, 2006, 08:12 PM
It's funny. I had a lot of trouble with the control at first, not an avid PC gamer myself I didn't like having that many buttons to memorize. But damn, I stuck with it cuz it was so much fun.

I played it some much at one point that each time I see flowers on the road I keep wanting to go pick them.

Xanto
Oct 18, 2006, 08:48 PM
I bought it a few weeks after it came out and I played the hell out of it cause I liked it but I just ended up putting it aside after a while and never did finish it. It was worth it to me though, especially once you build your char to the point you want it to be, and the difficulty does stay on par with whatever level you are, which was a plus to me as well.

-BK-
Oct 19, 2006, 08:51 AM
I used to love playing Morrowind, must have put in around 500 hours and was amazed that I never really ran out of things to do. Picked up Oblivion shortly after release and couldn't stand it. To me it felt too simular, like it was just a better looking Morrowind and I really didn't want to feel like I was starting all over with that again.

Sinue_v2
Oct 20, 2006, 03:46 AM
I just borrowed a copy recently when my internet was down, and I haven't been able to stop playing it since. Well.. now I have since I've down most of the faction missions and the main quest. The game is awesome - but honestly, it's give and take weither or not it's better than Morrowind.

There's not nearly as much content as there was in Morrowind - which sucks. I didn't like the fact that the overworld map wasn't colored in so that you could easily tell which areas you have or haven't explored. The storyline was much weaker as well - but it's not really Oblivion's fault for being bad - just Morrowind's fault for being so good. The whole Nereverine reincarnation and casting down of the tribunal... awesome. There's less freedom, since many weapons and spells were striken from the game. You can't levitate anymore, for example. Though I guess that could be attributed to lessening the strain on system resources. You also can't kill certain NPCs anymore - such as being able to assassinate King Helseth in Morrowind: Tribunal. You can't collect NPC souls either I believe... I tried it once when I had Azura's star in my inventory and it didn't work. That kind of sucks, because my two favorite weapons in Morrowind were "Heaven and Earth" - a Daedric Tanto and Katana which were enchanted with the souls of Vivec and Almalexia. (would have had a Wakazashi as well if Sothia Sil hadn't already been killed). I also don't like how items are often simply power teired without changing the graphics - such as soul gems. Ah well...

On the plus side... the combat is MUCH better this time around, as are the bonuses for increasing your skills. Coupled with the ragdoll physics, it's extremely satisfying to zoom in and lodge an arrow into some poor bandit's forehead from clear across the dungeon for 3x damage. Then you can pick his body up and inspect where the arrow hit. And speaking of which... I love how you can collect your arrows after firing them - though I still wish there was a way to deactivate a drawn bow without having to fire it into the ground.

Overall, Oblivion was probably one of the best games of the year - and I'm looking forward to the new mods which are comming out, both offical and unoffical. I'll post a picture of Niekse, my Dark Elf Morag Tong assassin from Vvardenfell a bit later. (Too bad I couldn't kill the Night Mother and set the sanctuary on fire - but at least I got to kill off most of the Black Hand)

Deprimenthia
Oct 21, 2006, 05:23 PM
Great game. The thing that sucks is the lack of armor. There are what, 5 or 6 armors for both types? Ick.

NickKicken
Oct 23, 2006, 01:19 AM
I had the most fun with the thieves guild quest. That last mission was sooo hard but it was sooo cool to...Well, you guys who beat it know how it went.

Lord_Kratos
Oct 23, 2006, 04:58 PM
my friend raves about the game and how much he wants it, but its rated M so he can get it, he said cus of decapitations but i believe theres nudity in it, how bad is the nudity, well anyways i played morrowind and never got attached to it, i talk to one person in the beggining and kept getting aressted over and over for talking to ppl and i fought this dark elf and used fire magic but i lost so badly, i had no idea fire magic wouldnt effect them and it said no where that that would happen but in a little while her im going to get the comp version from my friend http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

UltraDeeDer
Oct 24, 2006, 03:39 AM
Oblivion rocks hard on the xbox 360. I regret not having downloads, but I knew what i was giving them up for.

ANY REASON OBLIVION DOES NOT WORK ON THE 360 IS BECAUSE YOU WERE TO DUMB TO READ THE SLIP OF PAPER THAT COMES IN THE MANUAL THAT STATES: 60Htz ONLY. (Of course that's only if you are PAL) THE SECOND THING TO DO IS HOLD THE 'A' BUTTON WHEN IT STARTS UP AND IT RESETS THE BUGGED CACHE. PRESTO! PERFECT GAME.

I wrote that for reference. It need not apply to anyone who posted before me but...