PDA

View Full Version : Should US engage a war on North Korea?

Eviltaru
Oct 20, 2006, 01:46 AM
As we know Mr.Bush seem to like war... do you agree US to engage a war on N.Korea?

... We do know Bush keep saying "grave consequences" ..

... and we do know North Korea are saying "We're not afraid and we're prepared for whatever..."

roygbiv
Oct 20, 2006, 02:10 AM
Attacking North Korea would probably not be a great idea. Mainly because of the profiximity of Seoul to the N. Korean border, there would be a huge number of civilian casualties on the South Korean side. Millions of people would end up dying.

Dangerous55
Oct 20, 2006, 02:23 AM
On 2006-10-19 23:46, Eviltaru wrote:
As we know Mr.Bush seem to like war...

I kind of don't know what to write. Sooo here goes...I wish you were standing right in front of I would crush that little brain which processed the information to type that.

I guess FDR, Lincoln, Nixon, Kennedy, Johnson, Bush Sr, Wilson, and many more all LOVED war.

God, do you honestly believe that or are you another bandwagon Bush-hater?

Why couldnt you just make a topic, "Should the US use military force against North Korea? Yes or no, and why?"

Chriiiiist people.

What should Bush say? There will be no grave consequences? Japan and South Korea are under a very real threat of losing an entire city of millions of people. Very real. But, Bush is a warmonger and all to blame.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dangerous55 on 2006-10-20 00:25 ]</font>

Sinue_v2
Oct 20, 2006, 03:24 AM
Bush has the reputation for being a warmonger because of Iraq and the justifications (weither intentional or through incompetance of him and his staff) for invasion. His handling of the situation since being there hasn't been impressive, and many corperate and private individuals are profiting greatly from the war.

Some say this "War on Terror" is simply a powerplay - keeping terrorisim fresh in the public mind so that they can have free reign to do whatever they wish under the pretext of protecting America. The recent suspension of Habeus Corpus for "Unlawful Combatants" outlined in the recent Military Commissions Act doesn't help. And yes, I know Habeus Corpus has been suspended before, such as Lincolns suspension of it durring the Civil War. However those instances were in non-sustainable wars against other nations which had clear victories or defeats. Terrorism, like piracy, will never go away - so the percieved "Threat" is always there - effectivly making the suspension of Habeus Corpus permenant without all the flash-and-show (not to mention public reaction) of actually striking it from the Constitution. Provided, of course, that they can classify you as a "Unlawful Combatant" - which in and of itself is a rather vauge term.

Do I think Bush is a warmonger? No.. not really.
A war profiteer? Perhaps... I don't don't have the facts to say one way or another.
Incompetant? Certainly.

As for North Korea, diplomacy isn't going to work. Despite all the demonising and showboating the great powers did - neither Kruschev or the US Government wanted to see the Cold War come to a Nuclear end - and both our countries strived diligently to balance security with peace. Kim Jong Ill.... I just don't know if he even cares what the repprecussions of his actions are.

I say that first and foremost, we should institute a policy similar to what Kennedy did to Kruschev durring the Cuban Missle Crisis, whereas we treated ANY nuclear strike against ANY target in the western hemisphere as an attack on the US itself - resulting in a full retaliatory strike (weither nuclear or otherwise) upon North Korea. However, that can also be extended to be a global policy (any strike against ANY nation) as well as the selling of nuclear materials to rouge nations and terrorist groups. China and South Korea would probably have a lot of problems with that policy - but it would at least give us a clear and definitive stance against the actions of N. Korea, as well as offer much needed assurance to many of our other asian allies.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sinue_v2 on 2006-10-20 02:58 ]</font>

Blitzkommando
Oct 20, 2006, 04:26 AM
North Korea, as I have stated in other threads, has absolutely nothing to lose one way or another. Their people are already dead and dieing, they've completely killed relations at this point, and have no methods for keeping any sort of economy afloat. They've damned themselves and know it, and most likely wanted it. It's cold, it's callous, it's disgusting, but frankly I would rather carpet bomb them back several centuries than watch other countries, including my own, take the hit from a fanatical looney-toon dictatorship that now has the means to wipe out millions in some of the most densly populated regions in the world (Japan, South Korea, and even his old buddies in red China, Hong Kong, etc.).

Let's take Tokyo for instance. North Korea has the power, today, to launch a weapon that could wipe out a good portion of that city. A city of 23 MILLION people. Let's not forget that it is still questionable exactly what missiles they do possess. The potential to hit California, Hawaii, and Alaska are also very real, albeit far less likely than Japan or South Korea.

If North Korea does make a move on a nuclear scale, I see a retaliatory action as being the absolute end of that area of the Korean Peninsula. Japan has been sitting on her hands for 50 years now, and she is more than seriously pissed off at the North Koreans. She was pissed off in 1994, but today, 12 years later, for the first time since the end of World War II, Japan is saying she will do a full military action if this progresses. That is an extremely bold statement considering Japan is one of the more, if not most, pascifistic nations today, as a whole. Realize this, Japan has the third largest Navy in the world, and isn't too far from second. They have the fire power, and at this point in time if North Korea even spits in the wrong direction I don't think they would hesitate to use that.

This isn't just US policy here. This is big, world policy on this. Japan is crying bloody murder, South Korea is most likely feeling the same, and even China who has supported North Korea before in situations has backed off and essentially told North Korea that if they continue this they are FUBAR'd. If anything, the US might have to go in to help calm down the beatings if Japan does what she wants.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Norvekh on 2006-10-20 02:27 ]</font>

KodiaX987
Oct 20, 2006, 07:20 AM
According to a Yahoo! article (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061020/ap_on_re_as/nkorea_kim_nuclear), NK is ticked off because the US doesn't want to make concessions. To loosely quote the head honcho, "if the US is willing to give us a bit of slack, we'll be glad to give them some slack too."

The problem lies in hardheadedness and lack of sufficient and/or communication. Looks like NK eventually took the hint from the UN since they went from "I pity the foo' who be dissin' our nuke tests!" to "Maybe it wasn't such a good idea after all."

Red_Dragon_Jr
Oct 20, 2006, 07:53 AM
Besides if it happens, we've got some pretty powerful allies like Europe and Japan.

RoninJoku
Oct 20, 2006, 08:44 AM
I'm incredibly sick of all of this war... and in those terms-No... I don't think the US should go to "war" with North Korea... Not yet at least... Then again, I'd hate to have a modern day Hiroshima/Nagasaki...

Sinue_v2
Oct 20, 2006, 09:02 AM
if the US is willing to give us a bit of slack, we'll be glad to give them some slack too.

We tried that once... it was called Munich. Appeasment only makes the aggressor more aggressive.

Tystys
Oct 20, 2006, 10:31 AM
I...really don't think that'd be the greatest idea since the biggest development so far is that Kim Jong Il is "Sorry" for launching a nuclear test in China.

Apparently there is some discussion going on. Could be a way to make Korea back down or atleast calm down a bit.

Konstanse_Xx
Oct 20, 2006, 11:11 AM
On 2006-10-20 02:26, Norvekh wrote:
North Korea, as I have stated in other threads, has absolutely nothing to lose one way or another. Their people are already dead and dieing, they've completely killed relations at this point, and have no methods for keeping any sort of economy afloat. They've damned themselves and know it, and most likely wanted it. It's cold, it's callous, it's disgusting, but frankly I would rather carpet bomb them back several centuries than watch other countries, including my own, take the hit from a fanatical looney-toon dictatorship that now has the means to wipe out millions in some of the most densly populated regions in the world (Japan, South Korea, and even his old buddies in red China, Hong Kong, etc.).

Let's take Tokyo for instance. North Korea has the power, today, to launch a weapon that could wipe out a good portion of that city. A city of 23 MILLION people. Let's not forget that it is still questionable exactly what missiles they do possess. The potential to hit California, Hawaii, and Alaska are also very real, albeit far less likely than Japan or South Korea.

If North Korea does make a move on a nuclear scale, I see a retaliatory action as being the absolute end of that area of the Korean Peninsula. Japan has been sitting on her hands for 50 years now, and she is more than seriously pissed off at the North Koreans. She was pissed off in 1994, but today, 12 years later, for the first time since the end of World War II, Japan is saying she will do a full military action if this progresses. That is an extremely bold statement considering Japan is one of the more, if not most, pascifistic nations today, as a whole. Realize this, Japan has the third largest Navy in the world, and isn't too far from second. They have the fire power, and at this point in time if North Korea even spits in the wrong direction I don't think they would hesitate to use that.

This isn't just US policy here. This is big, world policy on this. Japan is crying bloody murder, South Korea is most likely feeling the same, and even China who has supported North Korea before in situations has backed off and essentially told North Korea that if they continue this they are FUBAR'd. If anything, the US might have to go in to help calm down the beatings if Japan does what she wants.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Norvekh on 2006-10-20 02:27 ]</font>

You speak of good truth sir, your posts is consisting of Epic and Win, and I agree with you.

solidsolo
Oct 20, 2006, 01:47 PM
As we know Mr.Bush seem to like war..

ya cuz he's bad@ss and doesn't take crap so shut the mouth liberal

lets go in and show em whose boss!

tank1
Oct 20, 2006, 06:20 PM
The world is so fucked up so i dont really care one way or another in the end.

Dangerous55
Oct 20, 2006, 07:17 PM
On 2006-10-20 11:47, solidsolo wrote:

As we know Mr.Bush seem to like war..

ya cuz he's bad@ss and doesn't take crap so shut the mouth liberal

lets go in and show em whose boss!

Hahaha, that reminds me of Cartman.

KaFKa
Oct 20, 2006, 11:12 PM
No.

Nuclear war wont happen imo, not even that wacked-out fatass would want to kill himself. He likes power too much to take that big of a risk.

Now, would a 'convential war with decisive battles' erupt from this? I can see it happening.

my 2 cents. And D55, keep fighting the good fight.

HUnewearl_Meira
Oct 20, 2006, 11:23 PM
What will happen, will happen, and will inescapably be the natural progression of things. let it suffice to say that whoever steps up to deal with the mess, if North Korea shoots off a nuke at someone, the end result will be short-lived and devastating.