PDA

View Full Version : Why play a FOmar?

raltga01
Nov 12, 2002, 03:22 AM
after reading their description in the instruction book I'm not exactly sure why anyone would want to play them.

what is good and bad about this class?

Vandal
Nov 12, 2002, 03:36 AM
Highest ATP of FO by far (130 higher than next nearest, FOmarl), which alone doesn't mean much but may widen their selection of equipment later on. Its respectable at 1002, about as good as lowest HU/RA (I know, I know, not quite). Someone said they can use Imperial Picks http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif That weap has probably changed like most of the others anyway though. Their intermidiate techniques are in my opinion more useful than the advanced attack techs of FOnewm because they still hit groups but for less TP, and their Shifta/Deband specialty sounds nice. Dunno about how useful their Grants specialty is, guess I'd have to see it in action. Anyways these are the reasons I'm (eventually) going to play a FOmar this time around in addition to Vandal and Boman. Real FO players feel free to rebuke me thoroughly ^_^

Etrigan
Nov 12, 2002, 04:50 AM
Weapons with FO's are pretty useless no matter how high your atp. Def and HP are just too low to melee effectively. I picked a FOmar because I played a FOnewm extensively in V1 and wanted a change of looks if nothing else. Though, now I wish I had the FOnewm instead... but what can you do.

Vandal
Nov 12, 2002, 05:20 AM
I'm curious, why would rather have a FOnewm? The MST/TP dif can't be THAT big..

Torex
Nov 12, 2002, 06:10 AM
Well at level 69 FOmar, I sure am enjoying high level shifta/deband added to my grass assassin sabers and doing around 250 damage per hit in very hard mode...

Sedyne
Nov 12, 2002, 09:21 AM
FOmar eh they look retarded lmao. but i have one and wubz it.

Castelak
Nov 12, 2002, 05:52 PM
Yeah my FOmar is about as strong as the hunters around his level, go Casty!

/^_^/
|^_^|
^_^
^_^/

entropyboy
Nov 12, 2002, 09:14 PM
i think that FOmars are kind of a joke character.
i mean, in the end almost everyone was playing FOmarl just so they could have high ATP and L30 shifta/deband. so ST makes the FOmar with really hight ATP and L30 shifta/deband but gives them really bad ATA!? i dont care what your ATP is if you cant hit anything.
i personally say, let forces be forces. magic is way better then it ever was anyway.

Kupi
Nov 12, 2002, 09:49 PM
High ATP, low ATA: match that with the high ATA, low ATP of Rods, and you've got a Force who can sustain the weaken-and-bop strategy longer into the game. That and the unique combination of better Gi-tech strength, Grants strength, and doubled Shifta and Deband range makes the FOmar an interesting Force.

...of course, I can always see the use of a character, even if others doubt the value of their specialty. See, you may think the FOmar stinks, but I think he's got value simply for the uniqueness of the combination of his abilities. There ya go.

Rhete
Nov 13, 2002, 12:47 AM
I think the real question is Why play a FOmarl?

Sedric
Nov 13, 2002, 01:10 AM
Why a FOmar? Because he's the most VERSATILE Force you can get your hands on.

Kinda like a jack-of-all-trade, but he's not some average powered "all purpose" dude. He does have specialty, and he's frankly amazing if you take advantage of those specialty.

He gets bonuses on Gi-techs and S&D. That's both offensive and supportive tech. He can fill in both roles at the same time with no problem. His high ATP and ATA (by FO standard) gives him far more edge on equipments he can use. Add his S&D bonus into it, plus a RIGHT weapon, and you may able to melee with him. If it wasn't for his measle HP, I'd say he makes a good candidate for a tanking FO.

The way I see it, I think there are far more options open to FOmar that are not open to other FOs. Although whether those "extra options" actually do worth the efforts or not is completely up to the user, it is far more reassuring that FOmar is, indeed, a one of a kind Force.

Just my 2 cents.

DarthWufei
Nov 13, 2002, 01:17 AM
It's all in how you look at things. We really can't compare characters... it all comes down to personal preference.

I picked FOmar for a lot reasons.

1. I wanted to play a male character.
2. FOnewm is ugly.
3. I like the idea of changing around my slots for higher ATA or ATP to use some neat swords.
4. I can then switch to MST raising slots to use techs. @_@
5. I just plain love magicians. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

No other character would have fit what I was looking for. I really don't give a crud about stats or spell strength. As long as the character appeals to me.

And if you actually think about it. Usually when your character lacks something, you can change that with a mag/slots.

There's more to characters than just stats and spells. There's no preset "type" every character is and will always be I think. It's up to the player to create a unique character based on his own tastes.

Symphony
Nov 13, 2002, 01:43 AM
I have a FOmar and its one of the best times I've had going through PSO. Its a real challenge at the begining but after you make a few levels (ehh about 50) he is really fun to use. I have 2 mags for him based on how I want to use him, one being a Mind mag and another Pow. I use a Varisita or G. Assassins and get pretty good damage (300-400 each hit with Hard Attack) on V Hard with the Power mag.

Vandal
Nov 13, 2002, 02:05 AM
I'm NOT making a FOmar (or FOmarl, or FOnewearl) because:

A)I noticed the regen rate on Bo's HP was getting pretty wicked as he approaches lv100, and since TP number goes up way quicker than HP his regen tp abil will roxx0r too, even sooner. FOmar don't get this.

B)Higher ATP than FOnewearl by a large margin. Still nothing to speak of compared to HU or RA, but I'll have fun playing around with my Elysion long before a FOmar could wield one and will be more effective than a FOnewearl with whatever fun toys I get my hands on for the entire game..

C)MEGIDO SUCKS (cause its cheap) and I refuse to use that crap in Ult, which Parn informs me is the cheeziest thing ever. Pretty soon there will be about 100202 FOnewearls on the US servers Megido'ing ult ep2 creatures left and right and legitly hitting lv200 in no time.

D)Gi techs are as far a stretch from Ra as basics are to Gi, even with extra dmg and whatever and considering TP costs. Bottom line is, Ra techs kill bugs dead, QUICK, and especially quick for FOnewm since they specialize in them. FOmar don't seem to come CLOSE to being a true BLASTER type mage.

E)Just how much Shifta/Deband range is NECESSARY? Since they don't increase the *duration* of the spell with that specialization, it doesn't seem that great to me. I guess if you were a human FO and in the thick of battle and didn't feel like repositioning yourself to hit the whole party with a fresh Shifta it would come in handy, but I'm not gonna mind walking a bit more for the same end results.

I'm not roasting FOmar or FOmarl, they have their strong points (which have been listed pretty thoroughly above), but I'm providing a counterpoint with what (I hope) are relevent things to consider.

sMaRtAzZ
Nov 13, 2002, 02:09 AM
actually, elysion is now a force item http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif it requires 680 mst, so technically, those forces will be playing with their elysions before u http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif hahah i kno this because i have 5 elysions...http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Vandal
Nov 13, 2002, 02:17 AM
I should have clarified more, cause I kinda edited that post heavily while typing it. My FOnewm will be using my Elysion before a FOmar could ^_^

sMaRtAzZ
Nov 13, 2002, 02:23 AM
haha ok because i thought ur RAmar was gonna use elysion and im all like "ok...." well thanx for clarifying that!

Sedric
Nov 13, 2002, 02:49 AM
On 2002-11-12 23:05, Vandal wrote:

C)MEGIDO SUCKS (cause its cheap) and I refuse to use that crap in Ult, which Parn informs me is the cheeziest thing ever. Pretty soon there will be about 100202 FOnewearls on the US servers Megido'ing ult ep2 creatures left and right and legitly hitting lv200 in no time.

Amen.

Torex
Nov 13, 2002, 06:08 AM
Sorry for being so ignorant...what is Megido? Is it like the level 30 Megid? And why is it so cheap?

CrashCat
Nov 13, 2002, 07:05 AM
On 2002-11-12 23:05, Vandal wrote:
I'm NOT making a FOmar (or FOmarl, or FOnewearl) because:
Thanks for the tips, someone's finally managed to convince me which FO I want. I was lured by the extra support ranges, but then I realized, heck, I CAN WALK. Extra damage to the middle range techs should be the first sign that newm is designed to be the bread and butter FO, not the 'pot shot basic techs' newearl or the 'let's blow all my TP at once' mar.

Now I just gotta decide what I want to do for my hunter and ranger ><

Parn
Nov 13, 2002, 08:04 AM
To the person who said high ATA for a FOmar by force standards... Um... no? FOmar has the LOWEST ATA of the forces.

Let me put something into perspective folks. My base ATA is 182 after +25 ATA from a 50 DEX mag and God/Arm's +15 ATA adjustments. When I use my weaponry, I still tend to miss in ultimate mode, especially in the ruins (Delsabers have ridiculous EVP), central control, and dear God, the Seabed. Forest isn't so bad, but things get increasingly difficult to hit as you progress. My ATA however, has room for improvement, as its max is 200 as a HUmar.

FOmar ATA MAXIMUM is 163. Unless you have some high dexterity on your mag or units that increase ATA, I don't think you're going to be at 163 for awhile. And even then, 163 won't cut it. So your ATP won't mean too much when you have the lowest ATA in the entire game and can't hit anything. Better get acquainted with your techs REAL FAST, because your melee won't be worth a God damn in the later levels of ultimate mode, which is where all the good stuff is hidden.

The funny thing is, and I shouldn't even have to say any of this but... if you want to melee, play a hunter. Forces should use their techs, period. Or, you can be stubborn and say "I can play how I /WANT/ to play" like the "intelligent folk" who are "advanced players" and "know how to play a force" and think this is version 2 all over again at ragol.com's board, who got upset when I said good forcers used techs and have no business in melee combat, and TRY to use your weapons, and end up getting smacked around or killed for it. After all, by all means, DO TRY. When you reach ultimate mode, you'll be introduced to the wonderful world of bold faced, red-colored MISS MISS MISS (it's frustrating as a hunter, which means it will be much MUCH worse trying it with a force), and end up using TP ANYWAY by casting Resta because the enemy will smack you down since you missed, and you'll take way more damage than a hunter since your defense is shit. And when and if you DO manage to hit, you can do your 50-100 damage and feel pleased with yourself because you "proved me wrong", and you saved yourself the trouble of doing 300+ damage with whatever appropriate tech that you SHOULD have used to begin with. Melee fighting with a forcer, efficient my ass.

DarthWufei
Nov 13, 2002, 06:21 PM
You people are too stubborn for your own good. @_@!

Just play how you want to. If something was just a plain stupid idea, ST wouldn't have let you do that anyways. @_@ ST gave FOmar and FOmarl high ATP for a reason.

I think people shouldn't judge other people's characters at all. Let them play how they want to play. It's their game, they bought it for themselves, not you. @_@!

So, I am by no means going to stop playing my FOmar like I do just because a few people seem to think there is only one way a FOmar should be played. Or even more, only one way a force should be played. @_@!

As for the original topic. There's a reason to play every character. It's not one set in stone, it's a reason the player creates. As corny as it sounds. Go around PSO and ask people why the picked their character. Most will say, "I like guns and wanted a ranger!". Or, "[Insert random class here] looks badass!". I have never once heard anyone in the game go, "Because [class] has the highest [stat] of them all!".

Alright, I'm done. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Horosha_Onikage
Nov 13, 2002, 08:52 PM
On 2002-11-13 15:21, DarthWufei wrote:
You people are too stubborn for your own good. @_@!

Just play how you want to. If something was just a plain stupid idea, ST wouldn't have let you do that anyways. @_@ ST gave FOmar and FOmarl high ATP for a reason.

I think people shouldn't judge other people's characters at all. Let them play how they want to play. It's their game, they bought it for themselves, not you. @_@!

So, I am by no means going to stop playing my FOmar like I do just because a few people seem to think there is only one way a FOmar should be played. Or even more, only one way a force should be played. @_@!

As for the original topic. There's a reason to play every character. It's not one set in stone, it's a reason the player creates. As corny as it sounds. Go around PSO and ask people why the picked their character. Most will say, "I like guns and wanted a ranger!". Or, "[Insert random class here] looks badass!". I have never once heard anyone in the game go, "Because [class] has the highest [stat] of them all!".

Alright, I'm done. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Right on.

As long as the player isn't a liability when playing with a team, I say go for it. Have fun. =D

Parn
Nov 13, 2002, 09:22 PM
*yawn*

Melee forcers, namely FOmars, were the butt of jokes on Rigel 7 for good reason. A meleeing FOmar is about as beneficial as a tech-using HUmar. Yes, they are doing SOME damage, but the damage output isn't even close to what it could be, and it's just flat out stupid. If you aren't going to give your best to the team, get out. You're just another mouth to feed when boxes are opened.

You don't use a screwdriver to pound a nail into a board, nor do you use a hammer to put a screw into a board. You CAN do the above things if you want, much like how you can play characters however you want, but that doesn't change the fact that it's STUPID, it's INEFFICIENT, and you're going to get criticized for being STUPID and INEFFICIENT.

DarthWufei
Nov 13, 2002, 09:33 PM
Actually Parn, from a lot of people I've played with on the US version. They just don't care. They will sit there and MAKE monsters hit forces as "fodder" and run away and shoot with guns. Yes even Hunters. Honestly, I always find that INCREDIBLY rude. Especially when they know I'm not trying to melee.

But anyways, I don't let that get to me. Also, who says that you have to give items to everyone? Don't like how the person plays, don't associate with them. Atleast they are contributing somehow, and not standing around laughing at others. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Also, people who make jokes about meleeing FOmars, are obviously people with nothing better to do. Now I bet you think I'm one of those FOmars who pull at a saber and get in the action. I'm not actually. I a bit of both. I use techs then go melee to get a few hits in. will I be doing this in Ult? No, but till then I'm going to have fun. And so far no one else I've played with has had a problem.

I haven't even heard a single joke about FOmars in the game. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif So a FOmar decides to play melee, don't sit there and laugh/criticize. Just accomodate that by giving the guy items (slot items really) to raise his ATA/DEF/ATP. Isn't that part of being cooperative?

People are going to play how they want to. Whether someone thinks it's stupid or not. It may be those "stupid" people who discover something incredibly ingenious about a character by experimenting and not going the norm. Think about it. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

DarthWufei
Nov 13, 2002, 09:44 PM
I just said in my last post that I wouldn't even TRY melee in Ult. Didn't you see that? Heh. I also said in another topic that I stopped doing melee after I stopped using a brand. That was way back in Normal.

I understand what you mean though, but still. It is fun to put on a saber for the hell of it. It helps make PSO less repetative.

Wewt
Nov 13, 2002, 09:45 PM
Melee forces... let them die.

My forces don't even have an attack button customised. All out techs for me.

Parn
Nov 13, 2002, 09:46 PM
Most people haven't made commentary probably because there isn't a keyboard to do it with. Go figure.

Horosha_Onikage
Nov 13, 2002, 09:52 PM
Feh.

Geez Parn, you make it sound like work more than a game. =P I use both a mind/def and pow/def mag for what the situation calls for. I'm one of those stubborn idiots who thinks that using techs all the time is wasteful. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif But I'm not dumb when it comes to knowing when melee'ing is useless and techs are the only option.

Only question I have now is: Why give forces high ATP and ATA (newmen) values if they rely on techs so much? Isn't it pointless then?

Nonetheless, this really reminds me of D2C/D2EX Meleemancers (Melee'ing Necromancer). Heh, we were called 'idiots' for playing a mage class like a warrior. We proved them wrong there, and so I'm willing to do so here. Call it an experiment, if you will.

I'm not one to be reduced to a hunter's whipping boy.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Horosha_Onikage on 2002-11-13 19:06 ]</font>

Kent
Nov 13, 2002, 11:47 PM
Well, if you think about it, the FOmar might actually be quite well adept at fighting, but only under certain circumstances (I've yet to play Episodes 1 & 2, so this is all theory).

As we all already know, the FOmar has the highest max ATP of the forces (1002, just 173 lower than the RAmarl's), does 30% more damage with Gi-level techniques and Grants, and has double the normal range of Shifta and Deband.

Well, first off, we all know that Gibarta has a higher chance of freezing enemies than Rabarta, and Razonde is only really better than Gizonde for attacking enemies all around you, and if you do get surrounded by enemies, Gifoie does pack a decent punch (and is fire damage, duh).

Now, if you plan on attacking an enemy, you should Shifta/Deband yourself and Jellen/Zalure the enemy. Also, Gibarta/Gizonde and be useful to Freeze/Shock them if need be. After the preparations are done, pummel away, or, if the beastie is particularly evasive/defensive or if you're in Ultimate mode without a weapon that has 50% or more on Hit, you can use your techniques to anihilate your foes, particularly Gi-level and Grants techniques, getting the most bang for your TP buck.

Remember, FOmar was designed as a hybrid class, much like the RAmarl and HUnewearl, and, being a force, he leans towards techniques more than the other two. He can still go melee to an extent, but needs those techniques to survive. No doubt, somebody will develope a strategy to playing a FOmar with great ability.

If you think about it, the FOnewm was pretty much designed to be a purely offensive caster (a "black mage," so to speak), the FOnewearl as more of a healer, with the Resta boost and a boost to basic techniques and Megid (not as overly offensive, seemingly, a "white mage" per se), the FOmarl for combat support and uber Grants, and the FOmar as mix of a fighter, offensive caster, and support caster (a la the "red mage").
(sorry about the Final Fantasy references, but they are good comparisons to the different forces now)

Wewt
Nov 14, 2002, 01:12 AM
I chose my FOmar because they looked liked idiots. That was my reason.

Rhete
Nov 14, 2002, 02:06 AM
On 2002-11-13 05:04, Parn wrote:
To the person who said high ATA for a FOmar by force standards... Um... no? FOmar has the LOWEST ATA of the forces.

I was going to say the same thing, until I checked ragols database and noticed that FOnewmn and FOnewearl have lower ata at 200, but much higher potential. I dont think many of them will be using dex mags and arm units either.

On 2002-11-13 20:47, Kent wrote:
If you think about it, the FOnewm was pretty much designed to be a purely offensive caster (a "black mage," so to speak), the FOnewearl as more of a healer, with the Resta boost and a boost to basic techniques and Megid (not as overly offensive, seemingly, a "white mage" per se), the FOmarl for combat support and uber Grants, and the FOmar as mix of a fighter, offensive caster, and support caster (a la the "red mage").
(sorry about the Final Fantasy references, but they are good comparisons to the different forces now)

Err, no way. FOmarl has all the support spell boosts and grants (think holy magic) amp. She's easily the white mage. FOnewearl is balanced thus making her another Red mage =P

Kent
Nov 14, 2002, 11:35 AM
On 2002-11-13 23:06, Rhete wrote:
Err, no way. FOmarl has all the support spell boosts and grants (think holy magic) amp. She's easily the white mage. FOnewearl is balanced thus making her another Red mage =P

Err... didn't the FOnewearl get the Resta boost? Healing is more important than giving Holy Hell to your opponents when you're a white mage.
(exception: Final Fantasy X)

Anyway, enough with the Final Fantasy refs...

Once I get the Xbox version (whenever it comes out) I'll be sure and find a way to play a good pseudo-melee FOmar, and not ignore my techniques.

Vandal
Nov 14, 2002, 11:56 AM
Hey Parn, when I said I'd use Elysion don't get the wrong idea ;D When I'm in games I use a saber to break boxes and tap enemies that I don't have the TP to kill (or don't want to waste it on) and let other party members do it for me using the Shifta & Restas I'm providing ^___^ I'm no melee FO.. Had my fill of those in v2 just watching ;P Stupidity, pure stupidity u.u;

Also for the guy who asked about Megido, its Megid. Just like how I call DF Dark Force. I liked a LOT of stuff about PS4 (and 2) better than things in this http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

SaitoH
Nov 14, 2002, 12:28 PM
Well, I'm a big advocate for using what a particular classes speciality is. That is melee = hunter, guns = ranger and force = tech. I haven't played a force in this version, but have played 3 previously. That being said, Magenta did manage to do some serious tanking in version 2 with her FOmarl.

I do think it's a viable option, with the right equipment, BUT! a force must be able to fulfill their duties first. That means, shifta/deband jellen/zalure and resta. If they can manage that and tank, then by all means go for it ... that's a big if though.

^w^

BladeofDarkness
Nov 14, 2002, 01:04 PM
First of all I only read halfway through the second so if these points have been made already I apologize for being an echo.

In version 1&2 I played as a HUcast (lvl 112) and a FOnewm (lvl 66)and when I found they made a force with decent ATP decent MST and below average ATA I was so happy because that's exactly what I want! The ATP to get through normal/hard/vhard so I can get the techs for ult then go to using mainly techs in ult. So far I'm a level 55 ATP with one ogre/pow-- and a 70 pow mag I have 390 ATP and with G-Assassin's Sabers and Shifta I get 890 ATP (100 a hit normal attack 200 a hit strong), with one more ogre/pow a b-knuckles I get 985 with shifta, I also have about 165 ata (base ata is 108) with b-knuckles. I'm pretty sure someone asked how much damage grants did as a FOmar, I have a lvl 4 grants and it does about 315 to boomas/goboomas/gigoboomas and 115 to dragon all on v-hard, those numbers seem pretty good to me.

Current stats are around:

ATP 390
MST 400
ATA 108
DFP I think around 80
EVP 100 and something
HP: 299
TP: 700

Riku
Nov 14, 2002, 01:58 PM
i had a FOmar but i really didnt like em so i went back to HUmar because ive always like HU and always will....

Russta
Nov 14, 2002, 02:09 PM
I can't be bothered to read all this post but I will tell you a few things Forces can now use. Soul Banish (850 ATP), Red Saber (501 ATP, I think) and Twin Chakram (480 ATP). As you can see they have high ATP requirments and the FOmar will be using long before any other force and doing more damage than with a mighty Elysion. At level 58, with two god/power's and very high level techs passed down from my 125 RAmar nothing can touch me in vHard. What does touch me does about 10 damage. My FOmar is a walking fortress atm.

Vandal
Nov 14, 2002, 04:05 PM
And if you had bothered reading the relevent things posted in this thread so far you'd have noticed everyone is saying they do ok early on in melee, heck, are probably the easiest FO to play early on.

BUT

upon hitting Ult your melee days will come to a grinding halt as you fail to be able to HIT the enemies. ATP doesn't really matter too much at that point, now does it?

Castoth
Nov 14, 2002, 04:53 PM
A scythe in the hands of a FOmar should equal ownage in this game, especially since Forces can use more scythe types now. It's a nice alternative to wasting all your TP continually and saving money on fluids (yes, you can go back and forth to the nurse but that takes a lot of time and your teammates get to kill everything in the next room without you then). In addition, using only techs is bad if you are playing in a typical game on the US server since the odds are if a red box drops, everybody else will get to it before you (and since this is the US server, they'll keep it even if they can't use it). Just got to keep dreaming until the S-rank Scythe is available though...

Vandal
Nov 14, 2002, 06:19 PM
... Using a scythe won't make up for horrid ATA, not even an Srank. Oh well, you'll learn the hard way just as I did in this ver. ATA is the single most important melee stat now, period, and FOmar have the lowest ATA in the entire game. You figure it out..

BladeofDarkness
Nov 14, 2002, 07:07 PM
Your still stuck on the ATA aren't you? When I was a HUcast the first time I played v.2 I had about 130 ata and only sommetimes missed in ult. Besides, FOmars aren't only about attacking, once I get to ult I'll probably be using only techs. Problem is fomars take longer to learn high lvl spells so you need vhard to get atleast lvl 16 spells before going to ult. Also, online I mainly play my FOmar as a supporter I shifta and deband whenever I notice someone needs it, if people are getting hit too hard I'll use jellen, when there are large packs of enemies I throw in quite a few RAs. Only problem with always using techs is (like someone also mentioned) people dash as soon they see a red item and if you hang back you'll never get anything, which is why FOmars have high ATP so they can get in there and get the good stuff too.

Vandal
Nov 14, 2002, 07:57 PM
Your still stuck on the ATA aren't you? When I was a HUcast the first time I played v.2 I had about 130 ata and only sommetimes missed in ult.

You don't seem to understand, this isn't ver2, they've changed everything about combat (its inner workings anyway, I'm not really talking about what you see on the surface). How dmg is calculated from ATP, how hit rate is determined from ATA, etc.. etc.. Match up a HUcasts numbers to what they were before and try to fight the same things. You'll find interesting results, especially in Ult. The biggest change and the one which I see almost no one talk about is just how important ATA has become now that they redid the combat system. If you don't put a good amount of dex (as in, more than 20) into your mag, and use some ATA units, you WILL miss roughly 10% of your WEAK attacks in Vhard Ruins @ Lv90! I know this from experiance. I'm not even touching Bo again till Snapple is done raising him a new dex mag (btw thx so much Snap I luv u). This is with the more accurate weapon types in the game too, before you try and say its cause I use swords and daggers or something, which I can't even touch yet.

-...-

Ack I always do that, try and cram too much info and lose important bits, like that Bo IS using two general/arm++ and HAS 20 dex in his current lv200 mag and misses 10% of weak hits in vhard, far more in ult despite him being lv90. If anyone cares and hasn't read up yet, it takes 66 dex on your mag to max ATA without using units on a HUcast, and don't expect god/abil to help out your aim this time around either when trying to max stats, cause none of the 'abil' units effect ATA now.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Vandal on 2002-11-14 17:05 ]</font>

Nicoledramon
Nov 14, 2002, 08:18 PM
The reason I play a FOmar is simple. It's a guy and a force that doesn't have awful shoes. This way, I can look somewhat normal, play a force, and not get hit on constantly when I play online.
"You're stupid for playing a FOmar" is much better than "Come over here, baby girl and sit on daddy's lap."
ew.
I like guys a lot, just not in a PSO cybersex sort of way. lol

PlatinumGame
Nov 14, 2002, 08:29 PM
FOmar is the weakest, stupidest, ugliest character in PSO. FACT.

Vandal
Nov 14, 2002, 08:30 PM
>.<; I'm not trying to call anyone stupid for playing any char, but I want them to know what they are in for in the end.. Thats what kept me from making a FOmar, cause I agree, they're nicer looking than the newms. I just overanalyze things..

Castoth
Nov 14, 2002, 10:00 PM
On 2002-11-14 17:29, PlatinumGame wrote:
FOmar is the weakest, stupidest, ugliest character in PSO. FACT.

Well, not to put a rain on your troll but FOmarl is arguably the weakest Force now. She has the lowest MST and only specializes in Grants now for crying out loud (extra range for support techs is minor and FOmar has that too anyway). If your favorite series of spells is Gi-techs, then FOmar makes a good choice (and if you want that extra ATP).

As for ATA, geez. Sega really butchered it now so that it's insanely hard to get near max ATA...damn.

Vandal
Nov 14, 2002, 10:11 PM
Its not hard with good planning, but this will mess up a lot of people I think that are used to having hit mats and being extremely accurate without considering ATA. Just have your mag's dex make up the dif between your lv200 ATA and your max ATA. Which for a FO is bad cause you'll be sacrificing MST and TP, therefore techs and dmg by not having those points in Mind. Just another reason why even FOmar shouldn't plan on doing melee very far into the game.

Wewt
Nov 15, 2002, 05:14 AM
I'm a Ra-series tech fan, I always use them. I kind of regret making my FOmar and FOnewearl instead of a FOnewm now. Still, at least FOnewearl has massive MST.

BladeofDarkness
Nov 15, 2002, 11:55 AM
Every character has their flaws, I could pick apart HUmars and every other char for that matter but I know that there are ways of working around flaws, When FOmars get to ult they're s'posed to ditch the weps and go to techs, the ATP is just there for normal/hard/vhard to make it easier and less expensive for the FOmars.

Atleast that's how I see it.

Ninpo_Tamashii
Nov 26, 2002, 10:04 AM
FOmars are given the stats that they have becuase there is a reason for it, and its learning how to use the correct balance of techniques and Melee ablity. Who ever it was that said that an S-rank can't help on Ulimate is very misinformed.. The S-ranks not only add attack power...but the decent melee weapons add well more over 100 to attack accuracy. All you need is around 189 to hit EVERYTHING on Ultimate Mode...from Forest to Ruiens. So that plus 204 the S-rank scythe gives on ATA will do more than enough to hit, and with that plus 700 and somthin'....damage will be no topic of discussion. And with the low defense thing, anybody with correct skill can learn to avoid counter attacks from monsters.., The faster, the easier if your timing is correct. Plus anyways...that's what resta is for..not to mention shifta and deband. and if you're that worried...just use the 1, 2 combo...omit the third..if its that bad. Bottom Line, FOmars can and WILL melee if they feel like it becuase its an option to them. Its up to the individual to determine when is and when isn't the time to do it. I woudln't be level 101 with my Pinkal FOmar without realizing this...balance is the key. Just a little something to think about..

Zae
Nov 26, 2002, 10:36 AM
My Force Elf Chick
25 and she is really powerful in hard she does about 200 and with her autogun+20 she does about 30 points of damage Meelle
I dont know how how to spell

watashiwa
Nov 26, 2002, 11:51 AM
On 2002-11-14 19:11, Vandal wrote:
Just another reason why even FOmar shouldn't plan on doing melee very far into the game.

I beg to differ. I am up to Ultimate Ruins offline and I can melee just fine without missing much. I can do the same online as well, it simply takes a weapon with a Hit bonus. I have an Elf/Arm++ in my slots as well as a gun that has over 35% to hit. It gives me almost 210 ATA. To top it off, my mag has alot of power in it. Adding Shifta 24, Deband 25, Zalure 25, and Jellen 19, I am doing just fine and keeping up with even the HUmars as far as damage online and offline. I am able to dish out about 200 or higher damage per hard hit in both the Mines and Ruins online. In offline mode I do almost 300 damage. (And this is with a gun weapon, haven't tried a Saber or anything in the Mines or Ruins yet, since it's a bit dangerous. In the Mines, the enemies don't knock me down at all offline. And in the Ruins, Arlan doesn't knock me down either.) My Jellen is only weak because I haven't found a disk inbetween 19-29 and 29's in my bank but I can't use yet. My FOmar is level 107 and I'd be happy to show you that a FOmar can kick some serious ass offline as well as online via Melee.

Elusive_Llama
Nov 26, 2002, 12:45 PM
"You're stupid for playing a FOmar" is much better than "Come over here, baby girl and sit on daddy's lap."

Damn, that made me laugh so hard I was getting strange looks from my co-workers ;p

Anyways, I agree completely with Parn...Forces were meant to cast magic. Anything which does not directly help a Force with his/her techniques is like a side dish in the main course - nice to have, but hardly essential. So if you're pumping points into the POW and DEX of your mag and you're a FOmar or a FOmarl, then all I can say is this:

"I pity the FO who thinks they can melee as good as a HU."

Ninpo_Tamashii
Nov 26, 2002, 03:24 PM
In response to Mr. Llama man who posed last.., I want to address that Its up to the person how their character is and isn't played.., FOmars have a Class max attack of 1003 for a reason..., the same reason why the other FO's don't. Bottom line, they have the OPTION to kick ass when and where they truly feel like. I crushed Normal-Very hard mode with my Soul Eater and Double saber...(and and some help on very hard with my grassassasin sabers on some stronger enemies in the ruiens) And yes, when i did get to Ultimate mode at level 71.. my ass got busted... However.., i just walked over to my nice happy stroage box, and pulled out..... Elf arms. Dear lord problem solved. I resumed busting that ass and leveled up thirty times between then and now that i'm at the ruiens again. I haven't fought dark faltz but the only time i had to serious problems meleeing was in the Mines, cus those damn robots don't drop anymore. However, my level 29 Gifoie had something to say about that as well as my level 30 zonde technique, so the mines got busted with ease as well. The lesson there once again is, it depends on the person who uses them. Just becuase you are some hunter who never had to learn how to fight correctly cus they can get a hand on a powerful weapon early and relyied on Stats to keep them up so they could make mistakes, doesn't mean people can acutally take the time to learn the attack patterns of the mosnters and diffrent startegies to fight them and win without even getting hit 90% of the time. And when you do get hit, what on earth do you think Resta is for?? The only one class i can say would have a horribly difficult time meleeing is the Fowearls.., i dont' mean to diss them at all..but their attack power is the lowest of the forces.., and most of the S-ranks and even the better weapons in the game, cannot be equiped by them unfortunately, restricting them basically to extreamly powerful techniques. But then again.., that's why their Mst score is so high and not their Attack power. Something else to think about...

Munki
Nov 26, 2002, 03:39 PM
I have seen FOmars (and to a lesser extent FOmarls) melee, and I think they do it dang well. They were meant to be the 'jack of all trades' type force characters, while the newmen fulfill the Specialist roles for the forces.

Just like how the Hunters have the 'jack of all trades' human / newman, and 2 Android 'specialists'. As is said about ALL the characters... it all depends on your weapon. FOmars are unique, as they can whip out the attack with a powerfull single hit type weapon... if they get swarmed, well that is what the techs are for. I just wish that I saw more of the newman mages online, but they are seeming to get more common now (I see a bunch more than I used to)

Also, I see HUs play outside their role frequently as well... I have seen plenty of 'long range' type HUs and plenty of magic casting HUnewearl...

"I pity the HUnewearl who tries to out Force a FOrce"
http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif Sorry... I had to say that. =P

CorneliusPower
Nov 26, 2002, 03:59 PM
A fellow FOmar is always appreciated when Im in the game. As long as they dont play the role theyre not meant to, example:I was playing with a FOnewrm the other night, he was using Grass Assasin Sabres and never once casted Shifta/Deband, grrrrr. Well I know for sure there are some pretty damn strong FOmars out there and are always welcome to play with me as long as Shifta/Deband is in effect on my Sword and Body. As far as the high ATP thing. i always thought it was a last resort to use hand-to-hand combat with any FO. In any case any FO's should be concerned with stat raising and healing party's. My 2 cents. Peace.

Vejita
Nov 27, 2002, 05:26 AM
I had a FOmar
he got corrupted, and now i have a FOnewearl
GAHLEE you guys i just read all 50 of those posts and you dont know how badly i wanna make a FOmar and kick some serious ass!!!
but sadly my GCN is broken and i'm shipping it to nintendo tomorrow afternoon...its terrible havent played in weeks
must...make...fomar...

magenta
Dec 15, 2002, 04:26 PM
That being said, Magenta did manage to do some serious tanking in version 2 with her FOmarl.

yah.. ssrank obtained solo http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif...s-rank scythe and ultimate frame equipped http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif...

thos were the days http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

not its.. you force.. u not use weapons.. u use tech only.. yessir yessir yessir

DemiDeviMatt
Dec 15, 2002, 04:57 PM
i chose him bcuz he looked kool adn the book said he was hard to w0rk with. otherwise i like using him bcuz he can be a melee unit or a support unit, so i like going around with my gucci assassin baldes and build-a-bear cane
plus they r just dope

SaitoH
Dec 15, 2002, 05:02 PM
On 2002-12-15 13:26, magenta wrote:
yah.. ssrank obtained solo http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif...s-rank scythe and ultimate frame equipped http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif...

thos were the days http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

not its.. you force.. u not use weapons.. u use tech only.. yessir yessir yessir

Magenta ... buy a GC, a new hat, and get your hot self playing PSO, now.

I feel the need to pounce!

^w^/

Maelkith
Dec 16, 2002, 08:31 AM
the challenge for me using my fomar (Spooner) is to use melee to reduce fluid usage. there is the best version of heart type special attacks called geist. a geist special attack for me currently steals 56 tp. translate that into a free resta and a shifta. i am not meleeing in an attempt to kill stuff, i have shifted debanned hunters and rangers to do that. the damage done is a contribution to the team, but i dont expect to be a tank.

so if you see Spooner with a yellow saber, it is a geist gladius. he is trying to buy more shifta/deband/resta/jellen for the team rather than picking up every damn thing in an area, and piping to buy fluids every three minutes. with the limited tp of a fomar this is kinda neccessary.

offline very hard ruins he used 2 difluids for the entire thing (excluding falz). leveling without expenses is such a relief.

Ninpo_Tamashii
Dec 16, 2002, 01:55 PM
Right now i got online about three weeks ago, and i had posted before i got online. I played online and saw the monsters were stronger. Offline i own the whole game save Ult Seabed, that's crazy however way u look at it. I'm 129 now and i'm owning online evening in the Ruins..., The Soul Banish, Holy Ray, Grass assasin sabers, and Red Saber make the FOmar a complete monster when it comes to Melee. I don't care how you try to argue with it, FOmars can and will Melee as they please, when they please. I'm even melee'ing in the mines now. The forumla is Simple Zalure, Jallen, then Shifta and Deband. Monsters deal amost no damage "if they can manage to hit without me blocking or avoiding the hit" and My attack damage with my red saber that's not even grinded...when i'm shifted my ATP is 1989. Hunters get angry when it ell them that.., now imagine that same saber hitting a enemy that's been hit with a level 30 Zalure..., that = hunter damage, if not better. So i dont' want to hear it, anybody with decetn skills in fighting previosly (commonly gotten by playing as a hunter first, then being a FOmar) can learn to fight comopletly effective, keep the team Shifta'd and Debanded'd, and zalure and jallen all enemies, making it easy for u and others. Keep resta on your bar, and make Anti at the bottom of your quick-list spell list. Its not that hard people, Fomarls can even do this, i should know i have played with several. GC forces have changed, hunters need to swallow their pride and accpt the fact that a FOmar/FOmarl can deal just as much damage as them if not more.., and still out do them with magic if they felt like it. my 10 cents

Vyrus
Dec 16, 2002, 02:31 PM
The only thing that pisses me off is people who don't support. I was playing with a hunewearl the other day who didn't cast shifta on our party (2 hucasts and a humar) because she said "hucast doesn't need shifta" what the hell?! So what did she do? Run out of the room when we were fighting, cast shifta and deband on herself, then went back to fighting. If you have support techs but don't want to use them on your teammates then what the hell is the point of being in a team? It's like they expect other people to kill all the enemies and take all the hits without them trying to help... but then there's other people who cast shifta/deband, a couple ra techs, and help keep everyone in good condition.