PDA

View Full Version : Challenge mode Q & A

Alena Zouryx
Nov 12, 2002, 12:20 PM
I have not once played challenge mode, and I'm curious as to how long it takes to pass it, on average, in online mode with a party of 4. And exactly what are the prizes that you earn, and how do you raise your rank?

Thanks!! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

rbf2000
Nov 12, 2002, 12:33 PM
Shotie's challange FAQ (http://www.pso-world.com/faq.php?myfaq=yes&id_cat=11&categories=Challenge FAQ by Shotie)

SnAPPLE's challange FAQ (http://www.pso-world.com/faq.php?myfaq=yes&id_cat=12&categories=Challenge FAQ by SF-SnAPPLE)

While they were made for v2, most everything still applies.

Vandal
Nov 12, 2002, 12:46 PM
Back in the day there were 9 challenges, each one taking you through a different set of pre-determined area layouts not previously seen in PSO. Along with predetermined areas, predetermined monster sets and drops chances determined by the ID of the person hosting the C. For the player end of things, the only input you have is your name (thereby ID) and your class, beyond that Sonic Team decided what was 'necessary' for you to start with (including your level). With each challenge you defeat your title changes, until Bu EI, the highest and indicator that you creamed Dark Force in C mode (which is something to be proud of your first time doing so, its a great feeling of accomplishment finishing C).

As for time, get ready to forget about what your character is normally like for about 3-4 days on your first attempt to finish C without taking a break, as you have much to learn about how to play *real* PSO and your regular char stats have absolutely no bearing on C mode. Each challenge takes a different amount of time, all of them under an hour if you want the reward at the end (this can vary, I think C9 used to usually take me over an hour but a lot of the others took a lot less, like C1, in which 15 mins is a BAD time).

Thats the key, speed. Back in the day you had to finish all 9 in under 7(?) hours total to receive an Srank weapon. They were very worthwhile to play C for because they were stronger than many rares, you can name them, and they were guranteed to be yours upon completion of C, giving legit players a means to fight in Ult.

Its unfortunate that the servers are seperate from JP and even more unfortunate that not all the challenges are "in" yet, so no one can get Bu EI or online Sranks. I used to play all my C with JP players. C kinda has its own language ^___^ 001 or 0-0-1 = 0 monomates, 0 dimates, 1 trimate, etc... And there are a lot of etiquette/time saving rules that you just had to get used to. Such as letting FO run for all the boxes and dropping stuff you weren't going to use at doorways to the next room, and not hindering teams by playing HUmar/HUnny/RAmar (and now RAmarl), which are still just hinderences because the FO in your team *should* be getting all the techs and mind mats, so its not worth losing the ATA/ATP/HP/DFP of a bot to have mst with RA/HU.

The best way to go about mastering C mode is to make a HUcast/caseal (harder) or RAcast/caseal (easier) and play (and lose) until you learn the C layouts and puzzles since they don't change. C1 will always be C1, etc.. There ARE online maps and stuff you can get to have a heads up, but nothing makes up for real experiance.

whew</book>

Alena Zouryx
Nov 13, 2002, 12:11 PM
But I don't like robots!! I wanna beat it as my FOmarl!! *sniffle* I had no idea that C-mode would be so tough.... -.-

RedFox
Nov 13, 2002, 12:24 PM
I had no idea that C-mode would be so tough.... -.-

now thats an under statement. it took me about 3 weeks before i could beat C4!

HUcasts owned c-mode on the DC and from what ive heard they will continue to do so (along with HUceaseal)

Alena Zouryx
Nov 13, 2002, 12:31 PM
So basically you're saying I have no chance as a FOmarl?!? Geez...

RedFox
Nov 13, 2002, 01:08 PM
no... you will be able to do it provided that you have an experienced team behind you.
ALOT of practice also helps.

but i never actually completed c-mode so who am i to talk...

http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wet-trout.gif (im the one on the right)

rbf2000
Nov 13, 2002, 01:29 PM
No, you can beat it with FOmarls, you'll just have trouble finding a team that wants you up until c7. (At c7 - the start of ruins - forces come standard with resta). So, once you get past c1-c6, you'll be in the clear!

Forces are in high demand once you get up to c7.

SnAPPUrU-nyan-ko
Nov 13, 2002, 01:44 PM
Hmmph, I need to make new guide with more simple references that can be printed to keep people from the most common screwups :3... i.e. always heal in c1 when a hildebear is in the area =>_<=;