PDA

View Full Version : How to setup controllers to how you want them under Windows

Wickerman
Oct 25, 2006, 10:01 PM
I'm going to make this as straight to the point as I can.
This FAQ uses Windows XP's built-in controller reassignment function.
Keep in mind that PSU will only look at buttons 1-16 and will ignore any buttons assigned above 16.

1) Open control panel
2) Double click on Game Contollers
3) In the controller list, highlight the controller you want to use and make sure it says 'OK' under 'status'
3a) If the status doesn't say 'OK' you probably need to install the driver for the controller. If the driver is installed, try disconnecting and reconnecting the controller.
4) Click on 'Properties'
5) If not already under your controllers tab, click on that tab to see your specific controller's configuration.
6) In the 'D-Pad' box (assuming your controller has a D-Pad) click on 'up'.
7) In the 'Control Assignment' windows that pops up select the 'Button' radio button and assign it to Button 13.
7a) For the remainder of the D-Pad set the folowing
- Right = Button 14
- Down = Button 15
- Left = Butoon 16
(now you can use the D-pad to navigate the menus)
8) Once your done and the 'Control Assignment' windows are closed, click on the 'Windows' tab to see what numbers Windows assigns to the buttons. PSU will be using the same numbers.
9) Open PSU to the menu selection and click on 'Options'
10) Click on 'Game pad settings'
11) This part is up to you. You can switch back and forth between the PSU controller configuration and the Windows tab of windows controller config to help you see which buttons will do what.
12) After setting your controller, start a game and try it out! Re-adjust as necessary by exiting the game and reassigning whatever buttons you want to reassign.
13) See you online!

ethanhawkeye
Oct 25, 2006, 10:10 PM
this faq was awesome, thanks!

PaladinRPG
Oct 26, 2006, 02:04 AM
Ah, I was hoping someone would make one of these. Excellent work.

Race_Lunar
Oct 26, 2006, 02:11 PM
"5) If not already under your controllers tab, click on that tab to see your specific controller's configuration."

I don't see a 'Controllers' Tab at all. just the 'Settings' and 'Test' tabs. I suppose this poses a problem for moving to the other steps...

"6) In the 'D-Pad' box (assuming your controller has a D-Pad) click on 'up'.
7) In the 'Control Assignment' windows that pops up select the 'Button' radio button and assign it to Button 13."

Maybe I just need to restart after installing the drivers for the controller. Thanks alot for the guide though. :D

Buddha724
Oct 26, 2006, 06:10 PM
same here as the last post... i don't have a contollers tab, just settings and test tabs.

Wickerman
Oct 26, 2006, 07:12 PM
Have you used the controller on other games?

Deus-Irae
Oct 26, 2006, 08:11 PM
cool.

i dont like some of the default button layouts. ill give this a shot. thank you.

Race_Lunar
Oct 26, 2006, 08:25 PM
PSU will be the first Game Ill have used it for, so no I haven't used it for any other games yet.

Wickerman
Oct 26, 2006, 08:56 PM
On 2006-10-26 18:25, Race_Lunar wrote:
PSU will be the first Game Ill have used it for, so no I haven't used it for any other games yet.

You and buddha probably have to install the driver first otherwise windows will not recognize your controller.

Race_Lunar
Oct 26, 2006, 09:30 PM
Microsoft must have forgotten, or gotten lazy with the drivers or something because that's the first thing I did before I plugged anything in. Popped in the CD, followed thie instructions, let it finnish, everything works in the test area but the triggers are configured into some weird axis calibration mode.

I'll search around on Microsoft's site, and/or contact them for help on the missing drivers.

Kie
Oct 26, 2006, 11:09 PM
does this mean your gamepad must have at least 16 buttons? if so anybody got any suggestions on what game pad I should get sence mine only has 10.