PDA

View Full Version : Resident Evil.

Rion772
Oct 26, 2006, 08:04 PM
I never really noticed this before, and some of you may say "...I knew this from the beginning, you're a dumbass" but anyway, I'm going to post it. I just watched the movie, again, the first one, not Apocolypse (which I used to own on DvD) and I have to say... It's NOTHING like what the game portrays it as. In the game you have to run around, from building to building, in the movie they just go wherever, and again, the setting in the movie isn't quite as dark in some parts. I never played any of the games before Resident Evil 4 really, I mean, I spent 20-30 minutes on all of the Resident Evils, but the movie is so different from the game storyline and that sucks.

I say this because the games storyline was perfect, Leon, Ada, Krauser, Wesker, etc aren't in the movie, at all. Not that I remember atleast. But yet Nemesis is... Tyrant isn't in it either, which is kind of depressing because he was a scary mofo. I actually remember fighting him in his final form. Then the movie after. Thoughts?

DizzyDi
Oct 26, 2006, 09:17 PM
Sometimes to make a good video game movie, you gotta ditch some of the stuff from the game.
the Resident Evil movie is more like a movie that is INSPIRED by the game, not a movie BASED on the game.
And that is really the best way to do it.

ABDUR101
Oct 26, 2006, 09:32 PM
You can't take four games worth of characters and content, and mash them into an hour and a half long movie, not without making the audience feel like everything was packed in just for the sake of it. Either way you piss off the die-hard fans of the games, though.

RoninJoku
Oct 27, 2006, 12:36 AM
Regardless of those game to movie adaptation expectations... It still sucked... I hope no one is here to argue otherwise. :|

Sgt_Shligger
Oct 27, 2006, 01:31 AM
Well, if you just said the Resident Evil movie or the games suck, then you should at least back it up.

Ghen
Oct 27, 2006, 09:16 AM
I can tell you that the George Romero script for Resident Evil was heads above what they ended up going with. Romero did a couple of commercial segments for the Japanese version of Resident Evil 2 ( Biohazard 2 ), and was a shoe-in with Capcom to write and direct the movie. Things fell through when too many people tried to change Romero's script, and he left the project. I really, really wish we could have seen Romero's vision for Resident Evil on the big screen.

-memoru-
Oct 27, 2006, 09:44 AM
On 2006-10-26 18:04, Rion772 wrote:
"...I knew this from the beginning, you're a dumbass"

;p

I just watched it thinking it to be more of a sidestory of the games instead of it being a main part of the games.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: -memoru- on 2006-10-27 13:58 ]</font>

Sord
Oct 27, 2006, 12:05 PM
meh, the movie was alright. I found it amsuing they used posters to simulate looking out windows into the sky in the underground workplace. Never did see the second movie though.

Rion772
Oct 27, 2006, 06:54 PM
I mean both were alright, I found the games to be more... Exciting/scary than the movie. I honestly think they could've made it more scary. I've watched both movies in the dark (purposly) and I didn't jump out of my seat once, while playing the games, I found that I was falling out of my chair and falling back just because something jumped out of nowhere and I didn't expect it. I think the movie lacks that.

Resident Evil 1 was pretty scary too, at first I was like "... This game is way too god damn hard, I quit, they just won't die" then found myself going back to it. The same goes for Resident Evil: CVX - The first house I ended up entering was a house with 3 zombies who I emptied out my gun on (yes, I hit them everytime) and still died. But instead of going back to it I just tossed my controller on the ground and said "pfft, no way!" and walked away to find a different game.

I understand that the movie is based off of the game, but they just really dulled it down and made it a lot less scary. You can even see it in the environment, it just doesn't feel as dark in the movie compared to the game. Resident Evil: Apocalypse was a bit better, it seemed to have... Had a greater effect on me, being on the edge of my seat-wise, if that makes sense. During the first movie I was just bored, and not surprised.

During Apocalypse I was on the edge of my seat, and actually, very surprisingly was scared and paranoid during the movie. I recall being at my moms friends house, alone, in the dark, in the country (which is the WORST place to be if zombies were to rise because there's just... Nothing there, then again there's a hell of a lot less walking dead things) and I remember watching the movie and getting paranoid about zombies, which has NEVER happened. I remember looking out the windows and thinking "... What if zombies were to come through those windows right now? What would I use on them?" and that was honestly the first time I was in that state of mind during my long hours of zombie movies and games late at night.

Also, with the end of Apocalypse I was VERY disapointed that they aren't making a new Resident Evil movie, because if you saw the ending it was the perfect way to make a sequel, and I think the director was planning on making a sequel but either didn't get enough funds for it or it Apocalypse was a failure. Which I don't think it was.

Deathscythealpha
Oct 27, 2006, 07:48 PM
I enjoyed the movie, its very much a sidestory or What If for the Resi universe. However, the movie needed a different plot for several reasons.

1: Track down a copy of the Code Veronica Manwha/Comic that wa spublished a few years back for something that is very faithful to the game. So faithful it runs it. Reading Claire discussing how she has found a sheet of metal that she can now take to the machine to get a crest to walk back to the gate to get trhough is very dull and reads more like a strategy guide. It kills most of the comic, and the same concepts in a movie would suck too.

The Resi Evil mansion needs to have all the scary locked rooms, but it would be awkward to set up these locked rooms within the confiens of a movie as it would just seem stupid. See the Penny Arcade comic discussing the scientist having to find 3 keys just to go make a sandwich.

2: You know the plot already. That was one of the big points the makers threw out there as watching a movie of the game youve already played several times would have very little drama or tension. Like watching a film where you know which characters live or die just isnt as exciting as watching soemthing completely new.

Then again, you cna counter argue that point seeing as Resi Had mulitple endings and multiple different deaths.

On 2006-10-27 16:54, Rion772 wrote:

Also, with the end of Apocalypse I was VERY disapointed that they aren't making a new Resident Evil movie, because if you saw the ending it was the perfect way to make a sequel, and I think the director was planning on making a sequel but either didn't get enough funds for it or it Apocalypse was a failure. Which I don't think it was.

They are sadly filming a sequal right now. Set in a world where zombies have taken over, Claire, Jill and Alice roam the deserts of Las Vegas trying to do...something or other. Wesker was down as a character in the movie, but im not to excited after being very disapointed with Apocalypse. There are some shots of Claire floating around the net from the movie though.

Rion772
Oct 27, 2006, 08:04 PM
Oh, really? Last time I checked there was no plans of a sequel but that was a long time ago. This is pleasing to me. I don't see how you can be disapointed with Apocalyspe though, overall it was a good movie, and exciting. I didn't like how the relationship between the protagonist and Nemesis was portrayed as though. Seriously Nemesis was supposed to die by the protag. that's just how it is.

I really hope Tyrant is in RE3 though. At first, during RE the movie I thought that the pode/licker was Tyrant, mainly because he was fast moving, could climb around and whatnot, but after I saw that it was more dog-like I said "no, can't be him" so I look forward to possibly seeing the appearance of the less known when compared to nemesis freak that I liked fighting so much.