PDA

View Full Version : does any one here work with metals at all?

Kevino
Oct 27, 2006, 08:46 AM
i havent and am going to attempt a simple prodject of making my own necklace piece. i have some metals picked out but the problem is ... i dont know what to keep them to melt them. sure i could do it with a blow torch but that would lead to ... bad things. i have the melting points also i dont think i need them though. but if any one can help me i would be very happy. i need to know what to keep these metals in to ... melt them

tin, aluminum, iron, copper, and lead.

i did alittle reasearch and could do lead and tin in a cast iron pot but i dont know about the others. and what heat source should i use? anyone?

Tallus
Oct 27, 2006, 04:06 PM
you could try a bunsen burner and crucible for the lead. for the metals that melt at higher tempuratures, you could use a terell burner. ( i know that's spelled wrong) it's capable of much higher heat than a bunsen burner, but it's flame is still controllable.

Leviathan
Oct 27, 2006, 07:31 PM
If I were you I'd use a soldering iron. I think its the best bet seeing it melts the metal but you would have to use it at a low power.

Rion772
Oct 27, 2006, 07:56 PM
You can go with shielded metal arc welding (which is "stick welding" in more simple terms) for the aluminum, copper and (cast) iron. The rest I'm honestly not sure about.

Dhylec
Oct 27, 2006, 09:15 PM
Or use chemical/acid to melt metal, if you know how.

Kevino
Oct 30, 2006, 08:58 AM
... i dont need to fix it to something sorry i am making a neclace piece with a mold so it needs to stay melted and it needs to be in one general area. ive ditched the lead idea but i'll try the bunson burner or just a blowtortch. thanks for the help. and looking at the iron thats not gonna happen either. 2800.3F is not obtainable by some 16 year old guy w/ no job and $20.

Dangerous55
Oct 30, 2006, 03:44 PM
If you have no experience, easiest would probably be lead. Be careful though as it is slightly toxic. Here is a link for step-by-step instructions on casting lead bullets for reloaders. If you have a mold it can work for you.

http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting2006/swwheelgun2/index.asp

Scroll down and you'll see the big pot of liquid lead.

You could get a Lee Production Pot, which melts lead, for fairly cheap on Ebay($10-50). With this you could continually make and even sell them if you want.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dangerous55 on 2006-10-30 12:46 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dangerous55 on 2006-10-30 12:48 ]</font>

Tallus
Oct 30, 2006, 09:03 PM
lead does have a fairly low melting point, and if you mess up, it's fairly malleable, so you can bend it into shape. just don't lick it or inhale the fumes or anything stupid like that. wear one of those styrofoam masks if you're going to melt the lead.

edit: i've worked with lead before, and i just melted it in a tin can with a blowtorch and poured it into a mould. (tin melts at a higher tempurature than lead, so it's good for melting stuff in.)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Tallus on 2006-10-30 18:04 ]</font>

Kevino
Oct 31, 2006, 09:18 AM
... im gonna start with a silver/tin soloder to test it and see the procedure with ease. i know lead is nice and all but because of the fumes i dont think i want to use it out of the gates. thoes tin cans by the way arent 100% tin.