PDA

View Full Version : PSU-XBox 360: Data hostages! Forcing us to renew?

Imatron
Oct 27, 2006, 10:44 AM
I say this based on my current understanding of the game, so I ask everyone here what they know of to help clear this up for me:

In PSU's online play, your characters are stored on Sega's server. So far it seems I only get four characters, annoying in that the X box PSO lets you have twelve saved to your hard drive, that is unless I can use other gamer prophiles or something and not pay extra for another four.

The main point of my topic however, I have the 360 version, I have a hard drive, why cant I save or even back up my character data and close my guardians license if I dont hav time to play, which is what ultimatley forced me to close the PSO hunters license I had? And at that, they MAY delete your data after three months of not renewing, and I dont like the idea of losing all my hard work, plus I cant even play an offline multiplayer lan of the game.

All in all, based on my understanding of these details, it seems like they wanted to take away offline play for your own characters (But yes, you have story mode which doesnt make it all thatbad, still Id like to level up offline or have that available to me.) to make you play online only, and have to pay the extra cost. That is kinda understandable, but I think it's going to far that I cannot back up my data with the risk of it being deleted after a few months of inactivity when I have all this memory at my disposal. It makesme think they do this to force you into renewing every three months (but they also have that six month thing too.)

I will say, assuming I have a PS2 and it works the same way, it's a good idea that PS2 users or users lacking a hard drive on the 360 and owning a memory card instead, need not use up thier limited space. Maybe they did it to keep your messages and character data more easily found instead of waiting for you to pop in and add the messages to your data? And maybe they way they built the game did make this the best possible idea for superiour service, but money thses days makes me think they do it to compell you to renew.

Hm I cant help but think I may have left something out, but please tell me your thoughts and understanding of this so people in my situation can understand it better.

FrogKicker
Oct 27, 2006, 10:48 AM
They make them saved on their own servers to prevent hacking. It has nothing to do with ho wmuch room a ps2 memory card has. I love the idea and was glad they finally stepped up and did it.

Diablohead
Oct 27, 2006, 10:50 AM
After you beat chapter 4 of story mode you get extra mode, whats basicly like online but faster to do things like PM leveling and drops and also tweaks to what weapons each class can use.

If you already knew that, sorry.

Valkayree
Oct 27, 2006, 10:54 AM
If I'm understanding you correctly, I'm pretty sure they removed offline multiplayer using online characters because of issues involving duping in PSO. Plus, offline access to characters stored completely on SEGA servers would be impossible. The only reason it worked in PSO is because the characters were stored on player side. This is what mad ethe game easier to hack. But they changed to the way many mmo's like WoW and FFXI function in that characters are stored server side and are inaccessible for offline play. This minimizes cheating and creates a better game environment.

Imatron
Oct 27, 2006, 11:25 AM
Thank you everyone for the information, I certanly appreciate it! You had me sold at "cant hack the data"! Thats the main thing I hated about the PSO series, some moron deciding they could come in and harrass you while your trying to have fun. As fr the chapter four stuff, could you tell me more about it and what it does?

Akaimizu
Oct 27, 2006, 11:51 AM
Chapter 4 has nothing to do with a legal aspect, in this case. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Chapter 4 is referring to the offline stuff. If you beat the story mode's chapter 4. The extra Mode unlocks.

Extra mode is a lot like the old PSO offline mode, (or like a PSU online just without real players. (You can use NPCs to fill out a party).