PDA

View Full Version : Missing/broken DLLs cause system-wide instability.

KodiaX987
Oct 29, 2006, 10:36 AM
Using Windows 2000 Pro. Everything's fine, doing business, et cetera.

Then, from one day to the next, all of a sudden, a DLL file started acting up.

I open my Control panel and get a script error, IE style, saying that the file file://C:WINNTWebcontrolp.htt
has an error in loading DLL.

I open Add/Remove Programs and get another script error: res://sp3res.dll/default.hta
doesn't support this property or method. The window remains empty; it doesn't work
anymore.

I open Windows Explorer. I'm given yet another script error: file://C:Program FilesFolder.htt,
gFolder.HaveToShowWebViewBarricade is null or not an object. The folder's contents
don't display.

I click the shortcut for Windows Update. Nothing happens.

I open Internet Explorer, go to Tools and click on Windows Explorer. A script error
icon appears. I double click it. The script error dialog box appears, but on top
of it is another dialog box: "An error has occured in this dialog, Error 58, Error
in loading DLL." Windows Update doesn't show up at all.

And finally, numerous applications crash on startup.

I open the computer management console. A flurry of errors are coming from the .NET
Runtime Optimization Service. I check the Services window. The service in question
is on auto startup, but currently stopped. I disable it.

In the Security journal, I find numerous errors related to Service Control Manager:
"The Automatic Updates service terminated with the following error:
Error loading type library/DLL."

On a whim, I ran the Windows repair tool and the Internet Explorer intaller in the
hope that it'd fix things up. No effect.

Now. I can't uninstall the framework because Add/Remove Programs is broken. I can't
look for it inside the computer since Windows Explorer is broken too. I'm not even
sure if it's the framework itself that's broken or if something else is trying to
act with it in a way that it shouldn't.

What now?

Feelmirath
Oct 29, 2006, 03:29 PM
http://www.pcmightymax.net/cgi-bin/view.cgi/pcweb201/download.html?dllfix.net
Not sure if that will solve your problem, but it's worth a shot.